OT: - Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been told by someone who purports to know that Pitino is most likely to be in DC next season but I have no idea if this person has any credibility or not. I agree that St. Johns makes the most sense. I find it hilarious that people think he'll willingly spend 6 nights a week in Syracuse next year (now watch me jinx it). He does seem adamant about wanting to coach another 5 years or so, but I would assume he'll be pretty discriminating in his choice.
Brey to St. John’s and Pitino to Georgetown would be great for the league. Remember back in the day when the biggest was a league of elite coaches. We’re heading back in that direction. Hurley, Smart, McDermott, Brey and Pitino is a murders row of talented coaches.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Brey to SJU has legs based on what, this random twitter account? I thought he was retiring? Can't imagine he'd be very motivated to go take over a dumpster fire of a program.

On a side note my buddies and I met Brey at the bar in Dewey Beach about 5 years ago. He was super friendly and we talked old Big East hoops for a while.
That's nice to hear, he always seemed like one of the good guys in the sport.

Reaction Score
Brey to St. John’s and Pitino to Georgetown would be great for the league. Remember back in the day when the biggest was a league of elite coaches. We’re heading back in that direction. Hurley, Smart, McDermott, Brey and Pitino is a murders row of talented coaches.
Miller, Matta, Cooley...

No easy nights in the league. Well except for tonight and when you play Ewing's teams.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What has he done at a school with the financial resources that Notre Dame has? Borderline slouch

Best performance there in last 45 years?? Seems like there's a history of slouches coaching at ND.

Reaction Score
St. Johns has had some bad coaches over the years. A New York team in an NIL world should be competitive.
The problem is, between the Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Mets, Yankees, Giants, and Jets, there is just very little interest in college sports in the NYC area.

Famously, that's why UConn basketball took off here -- we have no pro team to compete with for our fan identity.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Brey to SJU has legs based on what, this random twitter account? I thought he was retiring? Can't imagine he'd be very motivated to go take over a dumpster fire of a program.

On a side note my buddies and I met Brey at the bar in Dewey Beach about 5 years ago. He was super friendly and we talked old Big East hoops for a while.
It came out a few weeks after the original report that Brey was not actually retiring and wanted to still coach. Notre Dame just didn't want to use the word fired when they let him go

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I was surfing last night and came upon the replay of su vs georgia tech. There was the ancient boeheim moping around a cavernous stadium going against Josh Pastner and I thought, who the H would want to be recruited by heim. There's a lot to be said for having a young energetic coach.
Great imagery!!! Almost Shakesperean like King Lear.

Reaction Score
The problem is, between the Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Mets, Yankees, Giants, and Jets, there is just very little interest in college sports in the NYC area.

Famously, that's why UConn basketball took off here -- we have no pro team to compete with for our fan identity.
Disagree, NYC is hoops crazy. When the Johnnies are good people really get into them, problem is it's been such a long time since they were good and they've never really had sustained success.

Reaction Score
I think Brey is a really bad and lazy hire for anyone in the Big East outside of Depaul .... or maybe Butler. I think Gtown and St. Johns could do better and if I'm St. Johns, I'm going all in for Pitino even though he's slimey.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I think you need a real big name coach or savvy younger one on the way up and play home games at the Garden. Relegate the on campus
court to a practice facility except maybe for the early season creampuffs. That would require the Catholic university to take a risk which I would not bet on them making. Still..........the Big East and NYC? Look what Steve Pikiell did at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I think Brey is a really bad and lazy hire for anyone in the Big East outside of Depaul .... or maybe Butler. I think Gtown and St. Johns could do better and if I'm St. Johns, I'm going all in for Pitino even though he's slimey.

Pretty sure Pitino and Mark Few are going to be assistants on Brad Stevens's staff up in Syracuse next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Miller, Matta, Cooley...

No easy nights in the league. Well except for tonight and when you play Ewing's teams.
Mmm Cooley? He’s OK, I guess. He comes off a little too spoiled and arrogant though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, there is so little meat on the bone here. One tiny Twitter account trying to get some traction by tagging the entire world? Mmm…okay.

Second, not even remotely convinced that St. John’s is going to be able to buy Anderson out and pay a top coach at the same time.

Third, although he dresses like he sells cars in Queens, does anyone think that there’s any reason Mike Brey would be successful at St. John’s? There’s a job out there for Mike Brey, but it’s likely in that DMV/Mid-Atlantic area.

I wouldn’t want to hire him if I were Georgetown, but they make more sense than St. John’s. And something like William & Mary makes even more sense.

Reaction Score
Disagree, NYC is hoops crazy. When the Johnnies are good people really get into them, problem is it's been such a long time since they were good and they've never really had sustained success.
Agree. Even though I live in Boston now, my family roots and extended family is from NYC so it has been my home away from home ever since childhood. The pro teams are huge for NYC, especially the Yanks, Mets, and the Knicks, but St. John's had a ton of interest in the 80s and 90s, but they have not been worth any attention since then.

When is the last time this team was a threat to make the Final Four (not necessarily making it like in 1985) or been in the top 20 for many weeks? I am thinking 1999, Ron Artest's last year, and 2000. That's a long f. u. c. k. i. n. g. time ago.

Reaction Score
First, there is so little meat on the bone here. One tiny Twitter account trying to get some traction by tagging the entire world? Mmm…okay.

Second, not even remotely convinced that St. John’s is going to be able to buy Anderson out and pay a top coach at the same time.

Third, although he dresses like he sells cars in Queens, does anyone think that there’s any reason Mike Brey would be successful at St. John’s? There’s a job out there for Mike Brey, but it’s likely in that DMV/Mid-Atlantic area.

I wouldn’t want to hire him if I were Georgetown, but they make more sense than St. John’s. And something like William & Mary makes even more sense.
I have been reading this thread and I am surprised that Mike Brey is being considered for St. John's. First of all I thought Mike Brey said he was retiring after this year. Someone correct me if I am wrong or if he publicly recanted that statement.

Second and more importantly, I have stated the same thing you just did, Fishy, the buyout is nothing to sneeze at. 10M is a lot. I know someone here stated the Vitamin Water founder is a SJU alum or fan and could contribute to the buyout. I don't know if that is true or not.

Anderson should be doing better as NelsonMuntz said, there are in a hoops mecca and a big time city. That has to be incorporated in the recruiting pitch and NIL. His 2023 class doesn't look so hot, though.

Reaction Score
That might have been the case in the last century but it was the last Century. The world changed. The college basketball center of the universe isn’t New York any more. It is way further south. And when the Johnnies were good the NFL draft wasn’t a 2-day extravaganza that cities bid for. Pro sports have just grown so big especially in major cities that it is difficult for the college game to get traction. It is worse for a basketball only school like St John’s.

People really need to remember that Anderson was the 3rd or 4th choice and the ones who turned that job down were coaching at places like Loyola Chicago and Iona ( or Siena I can never remember). So in theory the Johnnies should have been a huge step up. Even MAAC coaches didn’t see it that way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have been reading this thread and I am surprised that Mike Brey is being considered for St. John's. First of all I thought Mike Brey said he was retiring after this year. Someone correct me if I am wrong or if he publicly recanted that statement.

Second and more importantly, I have stated the same thing you just did, Fishy, the buyout is nothing to sneeze at. 10M is a lot. I know someone here stated the Vitamin Water founder is a SJU alum or fan and could contribute to the buyout. I don't know if that is true or not.

Anderson should be doing better as NelsonMuntz said, there are in a hoops mecca and a big time city. That has to be incorporated in the recruiting pitch and NIL. His 2023 class doesn't look so hot, though.

St. Johns should not get another over-the-hill, retread, burn out. 2005 Mike Anderson would have been awesome for St. Johns. 2023 Mike Anderson slapped a big fat stamp on the season and mailed it in. I am pretty sure I could have won 20 games with the talent on that team.

Mike Brey is not as good as Anderson at this point in their respective careers. Notre Dame was always bad defensively, but they are not even slowing opponents down anymore. They had a decent year last season, but that was their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 5 years (and they probably would not have made the field in 2020). The team is 2-16 against a bad ACC and he has 5 seniors. The team is going to really suck next season unless he pulls a bunch of rabbits out of the Transfer Portal hat.

SJU needs a 30-something or 40-something coach that still cares and is hungry. X's and O's would be nice, but Lavin had some success at SJU and he is a moron. Just get a coach that gives a spit and is willing to work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That might have been the case in the last century but it was the last Century. The world changed. The college basketball center of the universe isn’t New York any more. It is way further south. And when the Johnnies were good the NFL draft wasn’t a 2-day extravaganza that cities bid for. Pro sports have just grown so big especially in major cities that it is difficult for the college game to get traction. It is worse for a basketball only school like St John’s.

Worst take on the board today. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Took them to the NCAA tournament more often than that, made two Elite 8s if memory serves.

What are your expectations for Notre Dame basketball?
How about if they were considered a national power? Sorry, he never impressed me.

pj

Reaction Score
When you look around I think it's safe to say age doesn't really matter anymore, Slick Rick looks like a spring chicken compared to a lot of other high profile people running things.

If age doesn't matter, maybe they should wait for Jim Boeheim to become available.

Reaction Score
The last thing St Johns needs is a retread but I am all for it. I hope they hire Brey. When they were beating us twice a year for over a decade while Louie C was coaching and telling a young Jim Calhoun 'Hey Irish, coach your own team" I hated them and still do. It was great advice by Louie as JC admitted later.

Reaction Score
Miller, Matta, Cooley...

To be fair we had a harder time with GTown than Butler this season

Reaction Score
Worst take on the board today. Thank you.
You just topped it. The Johnnies got turned down by Bobby Hurley and not 1 but 2 good mid-major coaches. All saw St John’s as the dead end it is. They settled for a pretty good coach who just got fired and would have taken any job to stay in the business. St John’s is a nothing program now. It isn’t 1965 any more.

Reaction Score
That has nothing to do with what I said but cool story.

If the Johnnies had a great team they would be an extremely hot ticket and a major story in NYC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom