OT: - Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs | The Boneyard

OT: Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs

Reaction Score
It might make sense if they're looking for someone to stay 5 years or so. Pitino would be a good fit, but he's also 70 and not a healthy looking man.

I feel like Brey is a low-risk kind of hire. I don't think he turns you into a top-25 team getting tourney wins every year, but you'll have a positive record and be respectable. He's also not a sleezeball compared to Pitino.

Reaction Score
Brey could bring some respectability back. My son and I were talking on Saturday on pur way back to Jersey from the game - they never recovered after Jarvis

Reaction Score
It might make sense if they're looking for someone to stay 5 years or so. Pitino would be a good fit, but he's also 70 and not a healthy looking man.

I have been told by someone who purports to know that Pitino is most likely to be in DC next season but I have no idea if this person has any credibility or not. I agree that St. Johns makes the most sense. I find it hilarious that people think he'll willingly spend 6 nights a week in Syracuse next year (now watch me jinx it). He does seem adamant about wanting to coach another 5 years or so, but I would assume he'll be pretty discriminating in his choice.

Reaction Score

I feel like Brey is a low-risk kind of hire. I don't think he turns you into a top-25 team getting tourney wins every year, but you'll have a positive record and be respectable. He's also not a sleezeball compared to Pitino.
When you look around I think it's safe to say age doesn't really matter anymore, Slick Rick looks like a spring chicken compared to a lot of other high profile people running things.

Reaction Score
When you look around I think it's safe to say age doesn't really matter anymore, Slick Rick looks like a spring chicken compared to a lot of other high profile people running things.

There really are some dinosaurs coaching D1 ball, aren't there. I think Calhoun retired at the optimal time. He didn't stay so long he ended up out of touch coaching bad teams and tarnishing his reputation (see: Boeheim).

Reaction Score
I have been told by someone who purports to know that Pitino is most likely to be in DC next season but I have no idea if this person has any credibility or not. I agree that St. Johns makes the most sense. I find it hilarious that people think he'll willingly spend 6 nights a week in Syracuse next year (now watch me jinx it). He does seem adamant about wanting to coach another 5 years or so, but I would assume he'll be pretty discriminating in his choice.

Pitino makes the conference better and is a pleasure to root against. I'm for it.

Reaction Score
Pitino makes the conference better and is a pleasure to root against. I'm for it.
Well you know the common saying, a good story, or in this case rooting entertainment and excitement, needs a villain. Pitino back in the BE would be nice and enhance the BE's profile. He might make it tougher to recruit, but maybe not only for the fact that he is old. It would be interesting nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I was surfing last night and came upon the replay of su vs georgia tech. There was the ancient boeheim moping around a cavernous stadium going against Josh Pastner and I thought, who the H would want to be recruited by heim. There's a lot to be said for having a young energetic coach.

Reaction Score
That's the chatter for weeks now online as well.

Reaction Score
I was surfing last night and came upon the replay of su vs georgia tech. There was the ancient boeheim moping around a cavernous stadium going against Josh Pastner and I thought, who the H would want to be recruited by heim. There's a lot to be said for having a young energetic coach.
He’s a thick headed arrogant old coach that plays a style kids don’t like. 9th place in the ACC is where he belongs. His time has passed

Reaction Score
What has he done at a school with the financial resources that Notre Dame has? Borderline slouch
They didn't go the tournament for 10 straight years before Brey got there. Judging him as a borderline slouch for what he did at ND is silly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are better coaches out there in regards to potential longevity (Pitino) as well as recruiting acumen (Brey). I feel they need someone high profile, pre 50 yo with recent/lifelong NYC area ties. I’d wait until after the dance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not directly on-topic, but is Pastner still looking like a paunchy, older version of Ben Stiller in "Dodgeball?"

Reaction Score
Sounds like Brey to SJU has legs based on what, this random twitter account? I thought he was retiring? Can't imagine he'd be very motivated to go take over a dumpster fire of a program.

On a side note my buddies and I met Brey at the bar in Dewey Beach about 5 years ago. He was super friendly and we talked old Big East hoops for a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom