OT: - Sorry, but it's totally revolting watching Carolina fans wear Whalers jerseys at playoff games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sorry, but it's totally revolting watching Carolina fans wear Whalers jerseys at playoff games

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I noticed that in the stands yesterday, didn't bother me.. It's the same franchise, what's the big deal?

The art of being unnecessarily obtuse on the internet.

Reaction Score
who is? the NC state men's bball team who plays like 13 games a year there?
Canes definitely play more games there, including playoffs. PNC Arena is on NC State campus though and they have both women's and men's basketball, hockey, graduation ceremonies, etc. in the arena. However, place is decked out in Canes signage inside and out.

To piss off some of the people on this thread even more so, they actually have a whole store/kiosk inside the arena that is just Hartford Whalers gear. I grew up in CT and moved to NC (Hence my username) back in 2014. I personally love the Canes and have gone to a lot of games over the past 8 years. CT does a great job chasing away good things. Let's face it.

But hey, maybe the Danbury Thrashers will come back and be a thing. There's always that...

Reaction Score
Canes definitely play more games there, including playoffs. PNC Arena is on NC State campus though and they have both women's and men's basketball, hockey, graduation ceremonies, etc. in the arena. However, place is decked out in Canes signage inside and out.

To piss off some of the people on this thread even more so, they actually have a whole store/kiosk inside the arena that is just Hartford Whalers gear. I grew up in CT and moved to NC (Hence my username) back in 2014. I personally love the Canes and have gone to a lot of games over the past 8 years. CT does a great job chasing away good things. Let's face it.

But hey, maybe the Danbury Thrashers will come back and be a thing. There's always that...
I know they have some games there (mostly men's teams, but the women typically play at Reynolds Coliseum) and PNC isn't actually part of campus...it's on the State Fairgrounds lot. Regardless, it definitely has strong State ties, but Canes play 45-50 games there a year. They are without a doubt the main tenant.

the city really does love the Canes and they're pretty engrained in the community..not sure if it was ever that way for Whalers and Hartford.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I wear Whalers gear fairly often in eastern PA and everyone seems to appreciate them for whatever reason. Even a buddy of mine who is a diehard Flyers fan has a Whalers jersey that he wears once in a while. Might be because it’s a cool logo but walking around down here I get the occasional “Go Whale!” if I have a hat or t-shirt on.

Reaction Score
When the Penguins sucked in 82-83 and 83-84, they averaged 8400 and 6800 fans respectively.

Sounds like a fanbase that deserves to lose a team, right? I mean not even Whalers fans averaged that low. The whalers fans averaged 10,000 plus ever year.

Whats the difference between both fanbases? The pittsburgh one got to draft Mario Lemiuex and had Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson traded to them. The Hartford one never got a Mario Lemieux and had two of their best players ever traded to the Pittsburgh one.

If Carolina had a losing record 15 out of 18 years, what do we think their average attendance would be?

But sure, keep dumping on the Hartford fanbase that should have acted like lemmings and just walked to the gates handing over their money blindly.

Reaction Score
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the parents moved from CT to N. Carolina and are true Hartford Whaler fans as well as the older fans in the arena wearing them?
That's even worse. No self-respect at all. Putrid.

Reaction Score
I know they have some games there (mostly men's teams, but the women typically play at Reynolds Coliseum) and PNC isn't actually part of campus...it's on the State Fairgrounds lot. Regardless, it definitely has strong State ties, but Canes play 45-50 games there a year. They are without a doubt the main tenant.

the city really does love the Canes and they're pretty engrained in the community..not sure if it was ever that way for Whalers and Hartford.
The fans go when the team is good and they go less when the team stinks. Same for Hartford and Carolina, nothing unique there. Unfortunately ownership rarely put a good team on the ice in Hartford, Carolina has won a Stanley Cup and had many good teams. If anything I would say their attendance is lackluster considering how good their on ice product has been since they moved there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ooo la la Sassoon
That may have been the dumbest f$&%ing commercial ever. Especially with a 40 tear old overweight Phil Esposito front and center.

Reaction Score
You don't know what a prime tenant is do you?
ya got me, sure didn't. thankfully google educated me on it pretty quickly. but not really sure what your point is with your original statement? the men's team still plays like 13 games a season there while the canes play upwards of 45-50.
I'm sure you know the canes are part of the group that own/operate PNC, right?

Reaction Score
Now we got a series, can the Rangers steal one in Carolina. It feels like the Canes start out with a 5-0 lead when their at home,this series is similar to the Canes-Bruins series.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Now we got a series, can the Rangers steal one in Carolina. It feels like the Canes start out with a 5-0 lead, this series is similar to the Canes-Bruins series.
Carolina hasn’t lost at home and hasn’t won on road in playoffs yet. Game 1 is really haunting me , rangers had every chance to steal that one.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Carolina hasn’t lost at home and hasn’t won on road in playoffs yet. Game 1 is really haunting me , rangers had every chance to steal that one.
My game 1 thoughts were similar, but the rangers #1 star was the post(s). Game 2 was the one that slipped away. Love to see my man Foxy stepping up!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Gallant's comment that each game could have gone either way but I love what we did to them last night.

Trouba's hit on Domi not only set a tone, it turned home ice advantage up a few levels and gave us a power play that basically put the game entirely in our favor.

One thing I've pointed out this morning to a few coworkers that cannot be understated was the shorthanded near miss by Zibanajad. I've been irritated all series by the commentary on the Hurricanes (alleged) speed advantage. Who is likely their fastest skater and Krieder blew by him. List players 1-20 on both teams and I'll wager that we are faster. Yes, they are better positioned in center ice (due to system and experience) and when we get careless with the puck (the cause of the only non empty net goal in game two) we can appear a step slower than them. I believe that our speed (and the realization on their part that they dont have an advantage there) is a major contributing factor to this series being where it is.

My biggest concern is lack of experience on our part. We will be very good for a while but there is quite a bit of youth (albeit exceptionally talented youth) and that often shows in the playoffs. I do believe that Carolina will have a ton of pressure on them tomorrow night as they have basically put themselves in a position where they absolutely must win their home games. We need to keep that pressure on them as long as possible.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Just noticed on my above post spellcheck changed Aho to who.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom