OT: - Sorry, but it's totally revolting watching Carolina fans wear Whalers jerseys at playoff games | The Boneyard

OT: Sorry, but it's totally revolting watching Carolina fans wear Whalers jerseys at playoff games

Reaction Score
Shove it Kid!

1652627618263.png

Reaction Score
The betrayal of the Whaler fans who were still turning out during the many down years forfeited that management’s right to a history in which those same fans were a significant part. In addition:
When the Browns moved to Baltimore that City fought to retain the name . Because of the Browns association with that City’s History.
The Whale is generally part of New England but specifically Connecticut’s cultural past.
So it’s cultural appropriation in the first degree.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Or maybe people with Connecticut ties now live in the Carolinas and they want to show their Whaler fandom? Or maybe people just think the jerseys look cool. What's the big deal? It keeps the Whalers alive, even if just as a footnote in history.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
It would be one thing if the colors or logo were the same- that would make it more in the spirit of a traditional throwback. It just looks bizarre in a sea of red and black

I’m a rangers fan but as a Hartford-area resident it is kind of annoying to see the franchise succeed in a fast-growing sunbelt market that’s not traditionally a hockey hotbed

Reaction Score
Lots of transplants in NC. The dad of one of my friends was a postmaster in CT. He said that quite a few postal service workers put in for transfers to North Carolina to follow the Whale.

Reaction Score
Or maybe people with Connecticut ties now live in the Carolinas and they want to show their Whaler fandom? Or maybe people just think the jerseys look cool. What's the big deal? It keeps the Whalers alive, even if just as a footnote in history.
Wait a second.... You're saying former Nutmeggers who live in Carolina are under some delusional spell that they're still rooting for the Whalers?

They must also love to root for the hockey team Djurgardens from Stockholm!!

Reaction Score
The betrayal of the Whaler fans who were still turning out during the many down years forfeited that management’s right to a history in which those same fans were a significant part. In addition:
When the Browns moved to Baltimore that City fought to retain the name . Because of the Browns association with that City’s History.
The Whale is generally part of New England but specifically Connecticut’s cultural past.
So it’s cultural appropriation in the first degree.

That’s a myth. The fans were not turning out and the Whalers were in the bottom 2-3 in attendance for years before their last season.

Hartford gave up on the franchise. Period.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That’s a myth. The fans were not turning out and the Whalers were in the bottom 2-3 in attendance for years before their last season.

Hartford gave up on the franchise. Period.

Nope. They even out drew Carolina until they got good.

They had a small, older (even then) building that did not generate revenue. And they had lousy TV deal.

None of that really mattered because the ponytail sporting owner, wanted to move south. There was money to save the team and there were more than enough fans given the performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lived in Raleigh for a few years after graduation, I refused to acknowledge the change/existence and referred to them as the whalers. Did not step foot in the arena or ever watch a game to this day.

Reaction Score

They had a small, older (even then) building that did not generate revenue. And they had lousy TV deal.

None of that really mattered because the ponytail sporting owner, wanted to move south. There was money to save the team and there were more than enough fans given the performance.

Nope. You're wrong. Here are where the Whalers stacked in NHL attendance. Their last 5 seasons before their final one, they were 2nd or 3rd worst in the NHL in average attendance. Often behind expansion teams only. Tampa Bay's first season was 1992. Same for Ottawa.

91-92 - 10,896 (3rd lowest in NHL behind San Jose and Islanders)
92-93 - 10,144 (2nd lowest ahead of only Tampa Bay)
93-94 - 10,407 (2nd lowest ahead of only Ottawa)
94-95 - 11,835 (2nd lowest ahead of only Ottawa)
95-96 - 11,983 (3rd lowest in NHL behind Winnipeg and Islanders)
96-97 (final season) - 13,680

The fair weather fans in CT quit on the Whalers and didn't support them.

Reaction Score
Saw the thread topic and immediately started humming Brass Bonanza.

08EEC6EC-129B-486E-9D09-8F316A8B0F98.gif

Reaction Score
What's wrong with it. I think it's great when the team actually wears the Whalers jersey a couple of times a year. What other former team gets that. I live in Georgia and where my Whalers shirt all the time.

Reaction Score
I’m here in Raleigh. They use the old jerseys as an alternative a few times a year and sell whaler stuff all over. I personally like it as you can be more fair weather fan with the e current ties.

Reaction Score

Correct-Thanks Gov Rowland.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
screw the hurricanes and the whale. Let’s go rangers!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I noticed that in the stands yesterday, didn't bother me.. It's the same franchise, what's the big deal?
Raleigh had empty seats all through the series. It’s unworthy of an NHL franchise. Certainly unworthy of the Whalers.
Warhammer 40K Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom