OT: - Songs About Water in any Form - Rain, Ice, Snow, Fog, T- Storms, the Sea, etc. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs About Water in any Form - Rain, Ice, Snow, Fog, T- Storms, the Sea, etc.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm sure this is a source of raging debates. I think Black Sabbath beat them to producing something that could be called heavy metal. Just doing a little googling, I see The Beatles, The Who and Led Zeppelin also mentioned. I've also seen it argued that certain classical music pieces were pretty much "metal," they just didn't have electric guitars yet. Fun topic.
George Harrison claimed that Ticket to Ride was the first heavy-metal song because of the 12-string Rickenbacher he played on it. I think if that can constitute heavy metal, then I'd give the Kinks the honor, with Dave Davies being the first to play a guitar with heavy distortion (achieved by taking a pen knife to a speaker).

I read somewhere that the term heavy metal was first used (wrt music) to describe the Jimi Hendrix Experience. I don't generally think of Hendrix as metal, but that's much less of a stretch than the Beatles. I have head-banging friends who consider Zeppelin metal, but to me they were so blues oriented that they're firmly in the rock camp. There's no question about Sabbath, though, who predate Smoke on the Water by a few years.

Reaction Score
Another Harold Arlen song. There are so many great renditions, so this time it's the first to sing it...for the last time.

Reaction Score
I wanted to post suzy snowflake because it's a song I remember from my childhood that I rarely hear anymore, but it's the wrong time of the year for that. Since I'm also a kid that loves Disney music I submit this for my water song:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm surprised I didn't post this one as soon as I saw the thread title. One of my favorites from Steeleye Span. Peter Knight's electric mandolin really makes a beautiful sound and goes wonderfully with Maddy Prior's voice.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been grooving on the Kinks recently. Here's a lovely little ditty by them, on the same album as Sunny Afternoon. Gods, I love the Kinks.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Now let's move solidly into the 21st century with a song I actually first heard in one of the Boneyard music threads:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom