OT: - Songs About Water in any Form - Rain, Ice, Snow, Fog, T- Storms, the Sea, etc. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs About Water in any Form - Rain, Ice, Snow, Fog, T- Storms, the Sea, etc.

Reaction Score
Ian & Sylvia - Early Morning Rain:

Thanks for posting this. I still have this album and with "Four Strong Winds" it's one of my favorite folk albums and songs. I remember seeing them at the Newport Folk Festival in 1963, and they were riveting. If wind was water I would have posted "Four Strong Winds"!

Reaction Score
CS&N - "Wooden Ships":

I like the Jefferson Airplane version as well. The creaking at the beginning of the song is, I'm told, the sound of David Crosby's sailboat. And Grace Slick's soaring soprano is stupendous.

Reaction Score
I like the Jefferson Airplane version as well. The creaking at the beginning of the song is, I'm told, the sound of David Crosby's sailboat. And Grace Slick's soaring soprano is stupendous.
Yes, likewise, I'm always torn between the two. As I recall, the Airplane's Paul Kantner was a co writer of the song along with the CSN guys.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
(trio version of Let's make the water turn black)
That's really cool! Of course, as with many Zappa songs, the lyrics are a large part of it:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Leaves' Eyes did a lot of Viking-inspired songs. This one is called Meredead, which means something like killed by the sea in old English. It's written in old English, too.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Don't tell anyone from Virginia, but the river in the traditional version of Shenandoah is the Missouri. Here's a tearjerker version from Connie Dover. If anyone knows what Connie's up to these days, I'd love to hear; haven't heard anything about her in several years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've heard this called the first heavy metal song.

I'm sure this is a source of raging debates. I think Black Sabbath beat them to producing something that could be called heavy metal. Just doing a little googling, I see The Beatles, The Who and Led Zeppelin also mentioned. I've also seen it argued that certain classical music pieces were pretty much "metal," they just didn't have electric guitars yet. Fun topic.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this is a source of raging debates. I think Black Sabbath beat them to producing something that could be called heavy metal. Just doing a little googling, I see The Beatles, The Who and Led Zeppelin also mentioned. I've also seen it argued that certain classical music pieces were pretty much "metal," they just didn't have electric guitars yet. Fun topic.
Stravinsky, Rite of Spring.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stravinsky, Rite of Spring.
Mussorgsky, Baba Yaga

Holst, Mars, Bringer of War (also wouldn't be Star Wars and probably many, many other movie soundtracks without this one)

Grieg, In the Hall of the Mountain King

That's just a few, probably many more good examples. I've heard a bunch of classical pieces played on electric guitar and it always sounds really, really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom