Something to Think about | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Something to Think about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I never mentioned Amari being valuable because of her rebounding.
I mentioned her shot blocking, defense against other superbigs and her potential to win tip offs if Jana wasn't available.

Nika was also a good rebounder but she can't play the center position.
Amari could play center which could be somewhat of a weakness with this year's team which was basically my point and she will be sorely missed if Jana becomes injured, needs a rest, gets ill or is otherwise unavailable.
It was never about rebounding, but who does UConn have on the roster to play the center position in Jana's absence?
We don't even know if Jana can jump as high as Amari on tip offs because Geno would never allow Amari to tip off and she's now a senior.
Amari 's position as a back up needs to be replaced and IDK who will do it as effectively as Amati at 6" 6".
Only time will tell if the manpower available to play center this year will become UConn's archilles heel or not.
Jana WAS injured last year, and Amari played scant minutes. Ice, whom UConn still has and apparently is occasionally forgotten, played way more than Amari. Ice has a year of UConn basketball under her belt and is a year further removed from a serious injury. Unless something totally unexpected happened with Amari's development, I wouldn't have expected to see a lot more of her this season.

Reaction Score
defense against other superbigs and her potential to win tip offs if Jana wasn't available.
She really wasn't a great defender though. Go back and watch her performance against Taiyanna Jackson vs Kansas last year. Taiyanna bullied her the whole time and had like 20 points. Same went for when she had to cover Lauren Betts.

Reaction Score
I mentioned her shot blocking, defense against other superbigs and her potential to win tip offs if Jana wasn't available.

Amari could play center which could be somewhat of a weakness with this year's team which was basically my point and she will be sorely missed if Jana becomes injured, needs a rest, gets ill or is otherwise unavailable.
It was never about rebounding, but who does UConn have on the roster to play the center position in Jana's absence?
We don't even know if Jana can jump as high as Amari on tip offs because Geno would never allow Amari to tip off and she's now a senior.
Amari 's position as a back up needs to be replaced and IDK who will do it as effectively as Amati at 6" 6".
Only time will tell if the manpower available to play center this year will become UConn's archilles heel or not.
What does Amari have to do with my specific post?

In UConn’s history, the only player whose shot-blocking was the extra difference-maker in a national championship (or later rounds of the NCAAT) vs a team with size was Kelly Schumacher.

South Carolina etc. may depend more on the defensive stats of posts, but UConn is not overly reliant on them.

So to amend what I said: In brief, height does not necessarily translate to career rebounding/blocks leading to national championships.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, Dennis Rodman was the #23 all time leading rebounder in the NBA which means that he was hardly one the best rebounders to ever play..
That distinction seems to go to players taller than him who amassed many more thousands of rebounds during their careers.

Top 10 in rebounds per game not padding stats by playing more years

sun

Reaction Score
I doubt that Geno was very happy about Amari's decision to transfer considering that she was the only other superbig & was entering her senior season.
Of course he now needs to deal with it but I'll bet that he didn't recruit her intending that she would only be on the team for 3 years.
There's a reason why teams have so many back ups whether Amari would play much or not.
Amari was recruited for a reason & now that she's gone there's a void on the roster.
It's impossible to gauge Amari's absence because we don't really know what her ceiling would have been. this year.
Everyone can have a diferent opinion about her skills & the impact of her transfer on the team.
If Geno had a choice I'd hope that he would rather have her remain on the team than not because you never know.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Geno was very happy about Amari's decision to transfer considering that she was the only other superbig & was entering her senior season.
Of course he now needs to deal with it but I'll bet that he didn't recruit her intending that she would only be on the team for 3 years.
There's a reason why teams have so many back ups whether Amari would play much or not.
Amari was recruited for a reason & now that she's gone there's a void on the roster.
It's impossible to gauge Amari's absence because we don't really know what her ceiling would have been. this year.
Everyone can have a diferent opinion about her skills & the impact of her transfer on the team.
If Geno had a choice I'd hope that he would rather have her remain on the team than not because you never know.
Amari was the only center period on the team last season and didn’t play in most games despite us only have two post players total. Geno preferred to run a 4 guard offense instead of incorporating our “super big” into the rotation. Geno had Paige do the jump ball with Aaliyah was out instead of playing Amari for one possession. That should tell you all you need to know about how Geno feels about Amari’s departure as it impacts the on the court rotations.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, Dennis Rodman was the #23 all time leading rebounder in the NBA which means that he was hardly one the best rebounders to ever play..
That distinction seems to go to players taller than him who amassed many more thousands of rebounds during their careers.

Rodman is the 10th ranked all time in rebounds per game average, so yeah He was one of the very best

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That's an assumption that I don't totally agree with.
If Jana needs a rest against an elite team with talented superbigs, then UConn could be at a disadvantage going forward all of the way through March Madness.
I can't predict or assume the match ups of who we're going to be playing as much as you seem to want to.

Who does UConn have to match up against Betts if Jana has foul trouble?
Sorry, I'm not going to be a blind cheerleader when the loss of Amari could end up hurting the team.
UConn only needs to lose one game to end its quest for a NC, so I try to be realistic about the value of having more than 1 superbig.
Amari had 3 seasons to become a solid off the bench "superbig". It never happened, for whatever reason(s).
She may very well exceed expectations as a terrapin but I am guessing it would be because the practice expectations might be different there. That might lead to Amari feeling less pressure to perform. (I think this is what happened to Natalie Butler when she transferred to GMU.)
Amari will be missed because she was one of the best "on the bench" teammates.
And I hope I never forget her "on her butt" assist to Ines. Probably her best play as a Huskie.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How do you know that Geno didn't give both Amari and Ines a heads up at the end of the season that they would most likely be the last off the bench to get into the game. He has stated before that at the end of each season he has a sit down with each returning player on what they need to do over the summer.

Reaction Score

On your very 1st post on this thread you make ,mention UCONN will have to win with guard play. Yes they will. No one is disputing you with that. And with this acknowledgement, you are also in agreement with nearly everyone that UCONN can win in it all too, right? Yes- UCONN is ranked 2nd or 3rd preseason. There could be games they are underdogs. And are you dismissing Notre Damne of overall not having overall better guard play as well? If not, then it’s not all about The Bigs, right?

But also in your 1st post you also mention UCONN must “play perfect enough,” from Guards to beat the big teams. Can you provide a definition of what you mean by “play perfect enough?” I agree with anyone that believes Paige is going to have to be the best player on the floor more than likely as an example of “perfect enough” (i.e. being the best). Is that what you mean that our number 1 player is going to have to be near perfect being number 1? But in another way. you specifically used the word “perfect.” Was that accidental? Because to play perfect in hoop is unachievable. Plus your 1st post implies Jana is on the floor. So, are you implying/suggesting that UCONN’s chances to beat the bigger top teams is near nil even with Jana on the floor? I’m not saying you are but your use of the word “perfect” in any manner suggests/implies “highly doubtful.” Which if this were the case you’d feel UCONN is overrated?

BTW, in regard to the Rodman discussion, the poster did say “career” in which Rodman was all-time great. I can understand why you then looked up career rebound numbers. But, respectfully, you used the wrong stat. Dennis Rodman is regarded by many as the all-time greatest rebounder or among the best using the stat called “Rebound Rate.” Please see attached.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Height contributes to shot blocking & can provide defense against other superbigs.
Cameron Brink got injured and the Team USA 3X3 only captured the bronze medel.
Do you think that was a concidence that Team USA didn't capture the gold?

This thread was about UConn's outlook.
It may be hard to swallow, but identifying UConn's potential weaknesses is part of the team's outlook.
Other coaches will certainly be doing just that.
Too bad that we never hear the players voicing their opinions about last year's players that need to be replaced this year & specifically about Amari's absence.
But the fact remains that UConn has only 1 superbig and an open spot on its roster.

Without Jana UConn doesn't even have anyone else who can win the jump ball to start the game against most elite teams.
It's simply a truthful observation yet you want to call that an obssession which is derogatory.
IMO that's the same type of reaction that probably caused Amari to want to leave UConn, and maybe Piath & others who have left too which put UConn at a manpower disadvantage from time to time in the past.
However this year it's about Amari and I believe that this year she wouldn't have been the last one off the bench to play despite what other posters have speculated to the contrary.
I cannot understand this idea that Amari would suddenly morph into a player this season. While I liked her, agree she was very intelligent, and a good cheerleader from the bench, there is absolutely no reason to believe she would have been anything more this year than she had been in her previous three years! I hope she can be productive on her new team but, even if she were to become an AA there, it would not mean that she would have become that here at UConn. While I doubt that will happen, (I hope so, for her sake) the sad truth is, for whatever reason, she was simply not interested in becoming that here at UConn. I wish her all the best but the idea that she would suddenly become a contributor here at UConn is simply delusional! I would add too, that in response to someone saying they thought Geno would be sorry that she transferred, I doubt that very much. While I do not think he disliked her or anything like that, I do believe she was a source of tremendous frustration for him and I would be surprised if he regrets her transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s take a walk down memory lane here:

2020-21 The year of COVID. Playing in empty arenas before cardboard cutouts.
Games cancelled right and left. This is awful we said, but wait till next season.

2021-22 Aubrey out for the season, Paige out for half a season, Azzi out half a season.
Dorka breaks her wrist at the most inopportune time. What terrible luck we said, but wait
till next season.

2022-23 Paige out for the season, Ice out for the season, Azzi out half a season,
Caroline out half a season. It can’t get any worse we said, so wait till next season.

2023-24 Azzi out for the season, Jana out for the season, Ayanna out for the season,
Caroline out for the season, Aubrey out half a season.

I am reminded of the saying:

“Man plans. God laughs.”
I heard that but it was, "Do you want to make God laugh? Tell him what you have planned for your life."

Reaction Score
Amari was the only center period on the team last season and didn’t play in most games despite us only have two post players total. Geno preferred to run a 4 guard offense instead of incorporating our “super big” into the rotation. Geno had Paige do the jump ball with Aaliyah was out instead of playing Amari for one possession. That should tell you all you need to know about how Geno feels about Amari’s departure as it impacts the on the court rotations.
If you recall coming out of high school she was so highly rated. Then she comes to UConn and she goes absolutely flat. The exact opposite of going from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. One of the great mysteries in life.

Reaction Score
Amari had 3 seasons to become a solid off the bench "superbig". It never happened, for whatever reason(s).
She may very well exceed expectations as a terrapin but I am guessing it would be because the practice expectations might be different there. That might lead to Amari feeling less pressure to perform. (I think this is what happened to Natalie Butler when she transferred to GMU.)
Amari will be missed because she was one of the best "on the bench" teammates.
And I hope I never forget her "on her butt" assist to Ines. Probably her best play as a Huskie.
I forgot about that. One of the "Top 10" UConn video clips of all time. FYI, I'd like to see someone with too much time on their hands put together a "Top 10" videos post, maybe a thread by itself with folks putting forth their favorite.

Reaction Score
If you recall coming out of high school she was so highly rated. Then she comes to UConn and she goes absolutely flat. The exact opposite of going from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. One of the great mysteries in life.
Bigs are the hardest to predict for. So many of them don’t really face comparable competition in high school. Amari said as much herself, that she hadn’t played against anyone her height before coming to UConn. The number of bigs who arrived in D1 fully formed is quite short, maybe Stewie, A’ja, Boston and a couple others. And even A’ja didn’t really peak until she hit the W.

Ironically, this is also why I think Gandy will surprise us all. There’s still going to be a steep learning curve for her next year. But she’s used to having to develop herself already. For other reasons, many of us are very optimistic about Jana. Though she didn’t face many comparable bigs in high school, she did in international competition. And more importantly, she already has a broader skill set than most bigs on arrival, sort of like Stewie.

On the other topic, my top 10 would include the clip of Paige hopping in celebration after hitting Christyn on a long buzzer-beating transition pass in that ill -fated game against ND two years ago. What a joy that kid is!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Blocking - Amari blocked 30 shots in 3 years. She did manage to foul 51 times in the same time frame. Her shot blocking ability was limitied by her inability to position herself in the paint

I think Amari is a wonderful human being but she is not a center, no matter how much Geno tried to mold her into one. She was lost in the paint and often out of position. If I were still scouting, I would have said her best position is at the wing, where she’s clear more comfortable. Height doesn’t determine a player’s natural ability so even though Amari is 6-6, her mentality is to be a wing.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Blocking - Amari blocked 30 shots in 3 years. She did manage to foul 51 times in the same time frame. Her shot blocking ability was limitied by her inability to position herself in the paint

I think Amari is a wonderful human being but she is not a center, no matter how much Geno tried to mold her into one. She was lost in the paint and often out of position. If I were still scouting, I would have said her best position is at the wing, where she’s clear more comfortable. Height doesn’t determine a player’s natural ability so even though Amari is 6-6, her mentality is to be a wing.
It will be interesting to see how Brenda uses Amari.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
---

Nika was also a good rebounder but she can't play the center position....
you clearly are a fan of amari's on-court potential and are miffed disappointed she's no longer a husky. but this sentence raises other thoughts.

nika indeed was a superb rebounder despite not having a height advantage and playing the guard position. there have been many others with this ability. they have the determination and the toughness to get rebounds, combined with learned skills. one of those skills shown repeatedly -- and consistently -- by nika is positioning and boxing out.

many players seemingly have decided that's not important or haven't been enlightened by coaching. it's disappointing to see this. it would be great if everyone who plays would emulate nika and guards like her -- especially those in the center and forward positions, where rebounding in one of their prime duties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I believe her lack of speed, lateral mobility, and ballhandling, along with her inability to guard anyone in the open floor or shoot on the move would have made attempting to play wing a disaster. GA did her a favor by trying to keep her inside. His only mistake was misreading her compete level when recruiting her and he realized that after her first preseason. He deserves credit for not pushing her out when many other coaches lacking integrity and desperate to win would have.

Reaction Score
+1

Right now Geno has more depth in the paint than when he had all his hair. Who does UCLA have if Betts gets in foul trouble. :rolleyes:
We have no proven post players or proven post depth. UConn has limitless potential but that's what makes it fun.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe her lack of speed, lateral mobility, and ballhandling, along with her inability to guard anyone in the open floor or shoot on the move would have made attempting to play wing a disaster. GA did her a favor by trying to keep her inside. His only mistake was misreading her compete level when recruiting her and he realized that after her first preseason. He deserves credit for not pushing her out when many other coaches lacking integrity and desperate to win would have.
The physical abilities are one thing but her mentality says wing.

Reaction Score
The physical abilities are one thing but her mentality says wing.
Well it might work out for her sometime in the future if she joins a YWCA U35 league for adults. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well it might work out for her sometime in the future if she joins a YWCA U35 league for adults. ;)
I mean no offense to Amari. I think her size sort of pigeon-holed her and there were times it seemed to me she was indecisive about where on the floor she preferred to play. The videos I saw of her were like the below and I did not see a center, e.g. a back to the basket, bang in the paint player. FWIW, I didn't see the #2/5 ranking either but TBF I only saw high school highlights.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fifteen year old Liv showing the types of moves I would look for from a center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads