Something to Think about | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Something to Think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that, to start the season, there is a clear top 6 that almost look like super teams. In no particular order: UConn, South Carolina, Southern California, UCLA, Notre Dame, and Texas. I think all of them return some really good players, including at the All-American level, add at least one elite transfer, and have a recruiting class that includes at least one top-20 player.
I really wonder about including UCLA in that list. They look good on paper, and then typically underperform when it counts. For example, they bowed out of the tournament at the Sweet Sixteen last season even with the biggest team in the tournament. Is the 24-25 roster better than the 23-24? They are still plenty big with Dugalic and Gardiner (and Muse?) at 6'3" next to Betts. And they return their talented sophomore class. But the loss of a veteran leader like Charisma Osborne looks to be significant for a team that has a tendency to fold under pressure. Who will shoulder the burden she leaves behind? Leger-Walker is not likely to be available until February, if then. Jaquez looks like she cold step up to a starting role and seems to be a leader. I expect another early exit from this group.

When I look at teams like this, I think I'd rather have Geno's problems than Cori's.

Reaction Score
Who did LSU have to rely on when Angel and Aliyah Del Rosario got in foul trouble against Betts in last year's Sweet Sixteen game? No one, and yet they still won and eliminated UCLA. How soon everyone forgets this.

Who will Geno have if Jana gets in foul trouble? Ice, Ayanna, and Sarah. That's more size than LSU had. And don't get me started about the possibility of Aubrey and Caroline being ready. And I haven't even mentioned Paige :rolleyes:

Good things are headed our way.

View attachment 103225

+1

Right now Geno has more depth in the paint than when he had all his hair. Who does UCLA have if Betts gets in foul trouble. :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All I can say is last season we didnt have someone as big as Betts and we made the FF. What if Betts gets in foul trouble? We have a team of sharp shooters. We have rebounding. We have Paige who is clutch. IMO its between UConn and SC. Paige will be the difference. With our defense and our now sharp shooter along with Jana we are gonna be a very tuff out.

Yes there are alot of really good teams however we have a clutch player who can score or set up others to score in Paige. We may loose a game before March but I dont think we loose a game after March. We will know more by the end of November.

sun

Reaction Score
I can’t, assuming full health, see us being an underdog in any game this season with the possible exception of @ South Carolina!

IDK about all of the height & talent in CWB, but for example Texas has Taylor Jones at 6' 4" plus Abbie Boutilier at 6'9" who didn't play last year & can dunk on command. They also have another superbig.

Reaction Score
Ice and Strong are better options than Amari any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Amari had not gotten any better over the 3 years that she was there, she was always in the wrong spots and looked like a dear in the headlights most of the time. Geno was forced to use a Freshman over a Junior because of that.
If, and it’s a big if, we find ourselves at a disadvantage in the front court (unlikely in all but perhaps one or two games) I think that potential disadvantage will very likely be far outweighed by our advantage in the backcourt! It’s difficult for me to see a situation where Jana, Ice, Sarah, Yanna, and Aubrey will be dominated by anyone to an extent that the rest of the team will be unable to make up for! Of course, we may have games where it’s a struggle but this roster, if healthy, certainly has the talent to more than make up for a hot player or two or perhaps a down game from one or two of our own players!

Reaction Score
That's an assumption that I don't totally agree with.
If Jana needs a rest against an elite team with talented superbigs, then UConn could be at a disadvantage going forward all of the way through March Madness.
I can't predict or assume the match ups of who we're going to be playing as much as you seem to want to.

Who does UConn have to match up against Betts if Jana has foul trouble?
Sorry, I'm not going to be a blind cheerleader when the loss of Amari could end up hurting the team.
UConn only needs to lose one game to end its quest for a NC, so I try to be realistic about the value of having more than 1 superbig.
I agree, it's nice to have 2 superbigs, but that second superbig was never going to be Amari. Amari only had 2 choices, stay super glued to the bench or transfer. I can't blame her for transferring and wish her all the best.

Something to think about, our returning injured players even if they are 100% healthy may need a very long time to get back 100% to where they once were. Some players never get 100% back. So, when you look at UConn's returning players, keep your fingers crossed. It's not automatically a given...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IDK about all of the height & talent in CWB, but for example Texas has Taylor Jones at 6' 4" plus Abbie Boutilier at 6'9" who didn't play last year & can dunk on command. They also have another superbig.

Again with this obsession with height? Head bang

In the tournament this spring, UConn played - and beat - teams with 6-6 players. USC had 6-6 Clarice Akunwafo (did you even notice her on the court?), Duke had 6-6 Kennedy Brown and 6-5 Camila Emsbo, Jackson State had 6-6 Angel Jackson (subsequently drafted into the WNBA) and 6-5 Laila Walker…there are others I’m not bothering to look up. The Huskies did fine with Aaliyah and Ice alone in the paint.

It’s not the big girls that have caused the most problems for UConn, it’s quick guards that are three level scorers that have caused the most pain. But now, with a bigger, more seasoned backcourt, and KK to put on the speedy guards, the Huskies should contain the speedsters better.

Rather than fretting about guarding other teams, let’s discuss how other teams will guard known quantities Paige, Azzi, Ash,and Ice. Throw in Kaitlyn, Jana, Sarah ,and Allie as scorers, too. Game planning for UConn is going to be tough this year - and that‘s before X factor Aubrey comes back

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amari would have still been one of the last ones off the bench if she stayed. She saw the writing on the wall and decided to transfer out. Both Sarah and Ice would have been coming off the bench before and maybe even Ayanna.
I wish Patterson had had a healthy career here. She's very athletic in a way that reminds me of Gabby Williams. Hopefully we get her to see her play at full speed this year, or at least something that approaches her being completely healthy.

CL82

Reaction Score

In the tournament this spring, UConn played - and beat - teams with 6-6 players. USC had 6-6 Clarice Akunwafo (did you even notice her on the court?), Duke had 6-6 Kennedy Brown and 6-5 Camila Emsbo, Jackson State had 6-6 Angel Jackson (subsequently drafted into the WNBA) and 6-5 Laila Walker…there are others I’m not bothering to look up. The Huskies did fine with Aaliyah and Ice alone in the paint.

It’s not the big girls that have caused the most problems for UConn, it’s quick guards that are three level scorers that have caused the most pain. But now, with a bigger, more seasoned backcourt, and KK to put on the speedy guards, the Huskies should contain the speedsters better.

Rather than fretting about guarding other teams, let’s discuss how other teams will guard known quantities Paige, Azzi, Ash,and Ice. Throw in Kaitlyn, Jana, Sarah ,and Allie as scorers, too. Game planning for UConn is going to be tough this year. And that before X factor Aubrey comes back
"More seasoned" backcourt is a major part of the solution this year. Sophomore guards Ashlynn and KK will be much more disciplined on defense making it more difficult for those "three level guards" to exploit overplaying or simply being out of position.

(I will say that Hildago is one hell of a player. Lightning, fast, and completely unafraid. Even versus a more experienced front court, she's a load to guard.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"More seasoned" backcourt is a major part of the solution this year. Sophomore guards Ashlynn and KK will be much more disciplined on defense making it more difficult for those "three level guards" to exploit overplaying or simply being out of position.

(I will say that Hildago is one hell of a player. Lightning, fast, and completely unafraid. Even versus a more experienced front court, she's a load to guard.)
And Juju Watkins, Mikayla Fuwiley, and others. They’ll get their points but can they stop UConn from scoring? We shall see

CL82

Reaction Score
And Juju Watkins, Mikayla Fuwiley, and others. They’ll get their points but can they stop UConn from scoring? We shall see
Trying to read the tea leaves of Geno's quotes over the summer, I do think that our principal approach is going to be to outscore our opponents rather than lock them defensively. If healthy, we certainly have the firepower to do that. That said, I do expect that by February we will be a dramatically improved defensive team, because we also have the manpower to play aggressive defense. It just takes time for a team to do that well and we have a lot of new players.

I fully expect this year to be immensely, entertaining with a high octane offense, and Paige looking for her shot far more often. Add to that a more mature Shade, Chen and Strong and people are going to have to guard us at the arc and a step or to beyond. That's going open things up for Jana and perhaps Ice, though I think that she would rather play a stretch four role. it will also create opportunities to drive to the basket, something that KK excels at, among others. And that's only half the roster!

We could really be something special this year, but, of course, we are still doomed. ;)

Reaction Score
More seasoned.
I wish Ash KK and Ice could come back in November with the control and discipline they'd achieved last March. But there will be rust and they'll need some time to pick up where they left off and even beyond. Well, maybe not Ash. Fortunately, every other sophomore in D1 will be in the same boat in November.

And Sarah will burst onto this scene, a mere freshman, but I suspect she'll be close to mid-season form. Her game is so well suited to what Geno wants from her. She's going to be unique across D1 because she's much more than the sum of her skills. She's a player who knows how to wield a team... rather like Paige.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Rather than fretting about guarding other teams, let’s discuss how other teams will guard known quantities Paige, Azzi, Ash,and Ice. Throw in Kaitlyn, Jana, Sarah ,and Allie as scorers, too. Game planning for UConn is going to be tough this year. And that before X factor Aubrey comes back
One of the best voices of reason on the BY.

sun

Reaction Score
Height contributes to shot blocking & can provide defense against other superbigs.
Cameron Brink got injured and the Team USA 3X3 only captured the bronze medel.
Do you think that was a concidence that Team USA didn't capture the gold?

This thread was about UConn's outlook.
It may be hard to swallow, but identifying UConn's potential weaknesses is part of the team's outlook.
Other coaches will certainly be doing just that.
Too bad that we never hear the players voicing their opinions about last year's players that need to be replaced this year & specifically about Amari's absence.
But the fact remains that UConn has only 1 superbig and an open spot on its roster.

Without Jana UConn doesn't even have anyone else who can win the jump ball to start the game against most elite teams.
It's simply a truthful observation yet you want to call that an obssession which is derogatory.
IMO that's the same type of reaction that probably caused Amari to want to leave UConn, and maybe Piath & others who have left too which put UConn at a manpower disadvantage from time to time in the past.
However this year it's about Amari and I believe that this year she wouldn't have been the last one off the bench to play despite what other posters have speculated to the contrary.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Height contributes to shot blocking & can provide defense against other superbigs.

It may be hard to swallow, but identifying UConn's potential weaknesses is part of the team's outlook.
Too bad that we never hear the players voicing their opinions about last year's players that need to be replaced this year & specifically about Amari's absence.
But the fact remains that UConn has only 1 superbig and an open spot on its roster.

Without Jana UConn doesn't even have anyone else who can win the jump ball to start the game against most elite teams.
It's simply a truthful observation yet you want to call that an obssession which is derogatory.
IMO that's the same type of reaction that probably caused Amari to want to leave UConn, and maybe Piath & others who have left too which put UConn at a manpower disadvantage from time to time in the past.
However this year it's about Amari and I believe that this year she wouldn't have been the last one off the bench to play despite what other posters have speculated to the contrary.
WBB is still a game played largely below the rim. Height only matters if it’s associated with someone who can move and play effectively. UConn will more than match up with any team on their schedule upfront with Jana, Sarah, Ice, Aubrey & Ayana.

While I wish Amari all the best at MD, she would not have played very much had she returned to UConn.

Reaction Score
If you’d watched the FIBA U18 3x3 tournament, you’d have seen that Sarah is a very capable shot blocker… even at 6’3”. She has long arms and quick hands. It’s true that a 6’5” player will pose a problem for her 1v1. But she will rarely have to defend against one that way.

Also, in another thread there’s a video of one of her HS games where she defends against a 6’5” opponent, Blanca Thomas, and though she can’t always prevent her from scoring, Blanca is completely outmatched trying to stop Sarah from scoring. You should watch it. Height is important, as you say, but strength and footwork is actually much more important. This is how Sarah holds her own against taller players. It will prove very effective at the next level too.

Reaction Score
That's an assumption that I don't totally agree with.
If Jana needs a rest against an elite team with talented superbigs, then UConn could be at a disadvantage going forward all of the way through March Madness.
I can't predict or assume the match ups of who we're going to be playing as much as you seem to want to.

Who does UConn have to match up against Betts if Jana has foul trouble?
Sorry, I'm not going to be a blind cheerleader when the loss of Amari could end up hurting the team.
UConn only needs to lose one game to end its quest for a NC, so I try to be realistic about the value of having more than 1 superbig.
Do we not remember when Phee at 6’1 played the 5. Hiw did we ever get so far?

Reaction Score
More seasoned.
I wish Ash KK and Ice could come back in November with the control and discipline they'd achieved last March. But there will be rust and they'll need some time to pick up where they left off and even beyond. Well, maybe not Ash. Fortunately, every other sophomore in D1 will be in the same boat in November.

And Sarah will burst onto this scene, a mere freshman, but I suspect she'll be close to mid-season form. Her game is so well suited to what Geno wants from her. She's going to be unique across D1 because she's much more than the sum of her skills. She's a player who knows how to wield a team... rather like Paige.
Bone Dog- - - Sarah having 2 stints with USA teams, 5v5 and 3v3 this off season, will advance her game so she won't be completely like a freshman coming in to this season!

Reaction Score

Sun- - - You seem to forget that 6'7" Dennis Rodman, to spite his weirdness, was one of, if not the best rebounder, one of the best in the NBA in his career!
And he did it vs 6'10" to 7'2" centers!
Height can be great but technique and hustle can balance out any disadvantage!
Gabby Williams sure didn't have height on her side when she plays! Her technique and athletic ability was perfect 99.9% of the time!

sun

Reaction Score
Sun- - - You seem to forget that 6'7" Dennis Rodman, to spite his weirdness, was one of, if not the best rebounder, one of the best in the NBA in his career!
And he did it vs 6'10" to 7'2" centers!
Height can be great but technique and hustle can balance out any disadvantage!
Gabby Williams sure didn't have height on her side when she plays! Her technique and athletic ability was perfect 99.9% of the time!
Respectfully, Dennis Rodman was the #23 all time leading rebounder in the NBA which means that he was hardly one the best rebounders to ever play..
That distinction seems to go to players taller than him who amassed many more thousands of rebounds during their careers.

Reaction Score
For many years, I have looked forward to Tonyc’s comprehensive and detailed posts on the Boneyard. Given the relative brevity of this post I have to ask, who’s impersonating Tonyc on the BY? ;)
Just as I look forward to the best post-game summaries from oldude - can't wait for the season!

Reaction Score
Respectfully, Dennis Rodman was the #23 all time leading rebounder in the NBA which means that he was hardly one the best rebounders to ever play..
That distinction seems to go to players taller than him who amassed many more thousands of rebounds during their careers.

Rodman (6’7) is the 10th best rebounder on that list per the more pertinent statistic of rebounds per game (13.1). [Tap on last column to sort]

The shortest guys on that list in the top ten of rebounds per game are 6’8 Jerry Lucas (15.6, 4th), 6’5 Elgin Baylor (13.5, 9th) and Rodman.

In WCBB, the top career rebounders are here.
  • The top rebounders (in the top 100) for UConn are 6’4 Tina Charles (27th), 6’0 Maya Moore (43rd), 6’1 Napheesa Collier (66th), 6’5 Dorka Juhasz (81st) and 6’4 Breanna Stewart (86th);
  • They collectively account for 6 national championships;
  • UConn’s other 5 national championship teams don’t have record book career rebounders;
  • The top non-UConn rebounders (in the top 100) that have national championships are: 6’5 Aliyah Boston (13), 6’1 Sophia Young (31), 6’8 Brittney Griner (32), 6’4 Jessica Sheppard (54), 6’4 Alaina Coates (60), 6’2 Crystal Langhorne (61) and 6’5 A’ja Wilson (78).
In brief, height does not necessarily translate to career rebounding leading to national championships.

sun

Reaction Score
Rodman (6’7) is the 10th best rebounder on that list per the more pertinent statistic of rebounds per game (13.1). [Tap on last column to sort]

The shortest guys on that list in the top ten of rebounds per game are 6’8 Jerry Lucas (15.6, 4th), 6’5 Elgin Baylor (13.5, 9th) and Rodman.

In WCBB, the top career rebounders are here.
  • The top rebounders (in the top 100) for UConn are 6’4 Tina Charles (27th), 6’0 Maya Moore (43rd), 6’1 Napheesa Collier (66th), 6’5 Dorka Juhasz (81st) and 6’4 Breanna Stewart (86th);
  • They collectively account for 6 national championships;
  • UConn’s other 5 national championship teams don’t have record book career rebounders;
  • The top non-UConn rebounders (in the top 100) that have national championships are: 6’5 Aliyah Boston (13), 6’1 Sophia Young (31), 6’8 Brittney Griner (32), 6’4 Jessica Sheppard (54), 6’4 Alaina Coates (60), 6’2 Crystal Langhorne (61) and 6’5 A’ja Wilson (78).
In brief, height does not necessarily translate to career rebounding leading to national championships.
I never mentioned Amari being valuable because of her rebounding.
I mentioned her shot blocking, defense against other superbigs and her potential to win tip offs if Jana wasn't available.

Nika was also a good rebounder but she can't play the center position.
Amari could play center which could be somewhat of a weakness with this year's team which was basically my point and she will be sorely missed if Jana becomes injured, needs a rest, gets ill or is otherwise unavailable.
It was never about rebounding, but who does UConn have on the roster to play the center position in Jana's absence?
We don't even know if Jana can jump as high as Amari on tip offs because Geno would never allow Amari to tip off and she's now a senior.
Amari 's position as a back up needs to be replaced and IDK who will do it as effectively as Amati at 6" 6".
Only time will tell if the manpower available to play center this year will become UConn's archilles heel or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom