Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Everything needs to be cancelled. Health organizations are saying the official numbers are just a fraction of the real number of infected, and we're dealing with an illness that multiplies 10-fold week by week. It is selfish to not be proactive on this.

Cancel the damn basketball games.
Let the boys play.

Reaction Score
There was a report that some of the worst symptoms and death may be correlated with high blood pressure (not necessarily causation at this point). And kids generally have lower blood pressure. Could also just be that kids are stronger/healthier in certain ways.
[/QUOTE]

I know it hasn't been proven - but still fascinating. As a father of 2 under 10, I've been watching carefully and wondering why this was the case. Not the best case scenario for me, but I'm more concerned about them.

Reaction Score
There was a report that some of the worst symptoms and death may be correlated with high blood pressure (not necessarily causation at this point). And kids generally have lower blood pressure. Could also just be that kids are stronger/healthier in certain ways.

I know it hasn't been proven - but still fascinating. As a father of 2 under 10, I've been watching carefully and wondering why this was the case. Not the best case scenario for me, but I'm more concerned about them.
[/QUOTE]
A three year old in my county just tested positive. Caught it from his father who caught it on a business trip to California. Only a matter of time before cases appear in Fort Worth. Wish I had not bought tix to the AAC.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
They’re going to cancel the AAC tourney and the NIT on us aren’t they? Good lord please NOT NOW!

Reaction Score
As if the handshakes after the game would have been the only point of transmittance....
Exactly. Its not like they pass a ball around and huddle up and fist bump and what not...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What's known for sure is that it didn't evolve or even alter in humans; the virus entered humans for the first time in October 2019 -- this is known because all viruses around the world have the same sequence, New coronavirus may have started in bats. But how did it hop to humans?, and if it had dwelt in humans at all before October there would be much more variation in genomic sequences.

So the virus either evolved in animals, or in the mind and lab of a scientist, and then jumped directly to humans.

The idea that it leapt to humans from an animal is pure speculation. The virus has not been observed in animals, including bats. Moreover it's almost inconceivable that a virus could have evolved such fine tuning for human infectiousness in another species. All other zoonotic infections come into humans with maladaptations and then within humans evolve better fitness for humans.

There was the Indian paper, now retracted, that claimed that several novel parts of the new virus compared to other coronaviruses were identical to proteins in HIV. If true that would be proof of bio-engineering. It should be straightforward to settle this if that is the case.
unfamiliar with the concept of 'phylogenetic clustering' are we? or maybe you read that dean koontz make believe book one to many times? you know, 'the eyes of darkness?' hmm, 'eyes' and op. decidedly not on the chinese menu anymore are 'pangolin soufle,' or 'roast pangolin,' or 'pangolin tartar.' wash ur hands, and ur mind. chinese cooties has a clear footprint, just like 'camel virus,' better known as 'mers.' I blame adam west, the mayor of cohaug.

pj

Reaction Score
unfamiliar with the concept of 'phylogenetic clustering' are we? or maybe you read that dean koontz make believe book one to many times? you know, 'the eyes of darkness?' hmm, 'eyes' and op. decidedly not on the chinese menu anymore are 'pangolin soufle,' or 'roast pangolin,' or 'pangolin tartar.' wash ur hands, and ur mind. chinese cooties has a clear footprint, just like 'camel virus,' better known as 'mers.' I blame adam west, the mayor of cohaug.

You seem to be unfamiliar with logic or dictionaries. The reality is that zoonotic infections do not magically start as highly infectious diseases in the first human they infect. The case of HIV is illustrative -- it's thought to have crossed from monkeys to humans in Africa in the 1920s, then it needed 50 years of evolution within humans before it became a dangerous disease. The only way for a germ to be so well adapted from the get-go at infecting humans as this one is, is if it was engineered.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
is the team scheduled to arrive today?

Just looking for that confirmation that at least the games will be played.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
UConn cancelled all out of state travel. We will likely not be going to Dallas if we’re not there.

Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You seem to be unfamiliar with logic or dictionaries. The reality is that zoonotic infections do not magically start as highly infectious diseases in the first human they infect. The case of HIV is illustrative -- it's thought to have crossed from monkeys to humans in Africa in the 1920s, then it needed 50 years of evolution within humans before it became a dangerous disease. The only way for a germ to be so well adapted from the get-go at infecting humans as this one is, is if it was engineered.
'The only way for a germ to be so well adapted from the get-go at infecting humans as this one is, is if it was engineered.'
ummm, ok. because you said so. and I guess your words put you in the 'secret laboratory of dr mephisto' group. lets see what some others say, shall we? first, does our cdc have a thought? lets find out :
'and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).
The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats.'
and of course, someone, who shall remain nameless, posted this here at the BY a good while ago:
like, a looong time ago.
there's enuf silliness going around, sell crazy somewhere else.

Reaction Score
'The only way for a germ to be so well adapted from the get-go at infecting humans as this one is, is if it was engineered.'
ummm, ok. because you said so. and I guess your words put you in the 'secret laboratory of dr mephisto' group. lets see what some others say, shall we? first, does our cdc have a thought? lets find out :
The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats.'
and of course, someone, who shall remain nameless, posted this here at the BY a good while ago:
like, a looong time ago.
Your government would never lie to you, nor would China’s.

pj

Reaction Score
like, a looong time ago.

The key datum is that the closest other known virus has only 88% homology to the new virus, but, no copy of this virus anywhere in the world has less than 99.98% homology to any other.

The bottom line, this virus is so different from any other known virus, human or animal, that there is no reasonable way it could have evolved from any known virus. Either there is a completely unknown virus that took a completely unknown path in hopping to humans, and was somehow magnificently adapted to humans without ever having been in a human; or it was engineered.

Again, I think the answer will become obvious as researchers look into the protein structure of the virus. If it was engineered, it will be possible to trace the pieces back to their origins. We'll know soon enough.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Your government would never lie to you, nor would China’s.
what part of people of good will with high ability don't you get? this is a 24/7 research effort. here, have sum 1 hour old data from the scots:

Scotland

Reaction Score
Everything needs to be cancelled. Health organizations are saying the official numbers are just a fraction of the real number of infected, and we're dealing with an illness that multiplies 10-fold week by week. It is selfish to not be proactive on this.

Cancel the damn basketball games.

if this was really true and it was indeed a silent undiagnosed rampant epidemic, there would be literal boatloads of people dying of “strange respiratory illnesses” with no obvious cause everywhere. If that was really going on, you damn well better believe that it would be all over the news as a mystery illness…remember That’s how the whole COVID thing started… A report of a cluster of mystery respiratory illnesses in Wuhan area of China.

Reaction Score
Safest time to eat at a restaurant is the day after it re-opens after being closed for food and sanitation violations.
Spend a little more, and you don’t need to worry.

Reaction Score
The key datum is that the closest other known virus has only 88% homology to the new virus, but, no copy of this virus anywhere in the world has less than 99.98% homology to any other.

The bottom line, this virus is so different from any other known virus, human or animal, that there is no reasonable way it could have evolved from any known virus. Either there is a completely unknown virus that took a completely unknown path in hopping to humans, and was somehow magnificently adapted to humans without ever having been in a human; or it was engineered.

Again, I think the answer will become obvious as researchers look into the protein structure of the virus. If it was engineered, it will be possible to trace the pieces back to their origins. We'll know soon enough.
You won't know soon enough, because when word from actual experts comes out refuting your conspiracy, you won't believe them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom