Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
After the announcement on Thursday at Gampel that the AAC had suspended the after-game handshake between the teams due to coronavirus precautions, I was surprised to see no such precautions after yesterday's game at Tulane.
Anyone else beside Neill and I notice this?

pj

Reaction Score
you sure about that? only asking because i understand this stuff (bio-statistics and all that) and it doesn't comport with my understanding at all. corona viruses are generally not as virulent or persistent as influenza.

"Generally." This is a novel coronavirus, possibly engineered as a bioweapon, that is as or more infectious as the flu, and in the elderly almost as deadly as SARS/MERS.

The idea that this is not a big deal because younger people aren't dying is misplaced: (1) we don't know that people form lasting immunity to it or that it can't lapse and then resurface. Long-term health consequences of getting infected could be worse than the short-term effects. Some people have gotten encephalitis, brain infections, from it. (2) Younger people can be carriers who transmit to others even if they are asymptomatic.

Reaction Score
"Generally." This is a novel coronavirus, possibly engineered as a bioweapon,
Has there been any evidence of this, other than wild speculation?

Reaction Score
Welp the Ivy league cancelled their tournament. Let's see who follows.

pj

Reaction Score
Has there been any evidence of this, other than wild speculation?

What's known for sure is that it didn't evolve or even alter in humans; the virus entered humans for the first time in October 2019 -- this is known because all viruses around the world have the same sequence, New coronavirus may have started in bats. But how did it hop to humans?, and if it had dwelt in humans at all before October there would be much more variation in genomic sequences.

So the virus either evolved in animals, or in the mind and lab of a scientist, and then jumped directly to humans.

The idea that it leapt to humans from an animal is pure speculation. The virus has not been observed in animals, including bats. Moreover it's almost inconceivable that a virus could have evolved such fine tuning for human infectiousness in another species. All other zoonotic infections come into humans with maladaptations and then within humans evolve better fitness for humans.

There was the Indian paper, now retracted, that claimed that several novel parts of the new virus compared to other coronaviruses were identical to proteins in HIV. If true that would be proof of bio-engineering. It should be straightforward to settle this if that is the case.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn’t the Ivy League not have a tournament?

Started a few years back - it's a final four format. My question is why send Yale? Not because Yale is undeserving...but, I mean, if you're not going to hold a tournament...

Reaction Score
Oh please god no. Please tell me they’re flying out today. This would be crushing to the players.

Reaction Score
Oh please god no. Please tell me they’re flying out today. This would be crushing to the players.
The major 7 conferences won’t be canceling their tournaments unless it gets to biblical proportions. Although I do believe the NCAA tourney won’t be as we have come to expect it. Expecting empty arenas tbh.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The major 7 conferences won’t be canceling their tournaments unless it gets to biblical proportions. Although I do believe the NCAA tourney won’t be as we have come to expect it. Expecting empty arenas tbh.
is the aac a major 7 conference?

i overheard aresco talking and he said the aac will be canceling the tournament and will award the #1 seed the auto bid.

Reaction Score
is the aac a major 7 conference?

i overheard aresco talking and he said the aac will be canceling the tournament and will award the #1 seed the auto bid.
That’s what I read on twitter once. I was feeling nice today. I read two articles that referred to the power 6 tournaments in basketball and left the AAC out, so I was just throwing them a bone.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
They need to play the AAC tourney without a crowd. Terrible timing, but it's a ridiculous risk to take right now.

Reaction Score
Preliminary studies suggest that COVID-19 is 20% more infectious than Swine Flu (H1N1) and 4-6x more deadly. So both more contagious and more deadly.

So sure. Let's do the same thing that killed 12,000 people instead of taking more precautions.
Don't you know? Approaching subjects with scientific care and concern is a liberal angle!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At this point, data set is woefully incomplete to make any solid estimates/comparisons. Especially the fatality rate. Lots of suggestive evidence as it’s travelled outside of China that it will be lower than what you listed. Time will tell though.

Even if it’s only 1.5x more fatal than flu and a bit more contagious, it’s a serious issue because we don’t have a vaccine nor any reliably active medication to target it yet.
I know it’s already caused us to cancel a vacation to SoCal scheduled 2 weeks from now and staying an overnight with my son and his family tomorrow because the kids schools are closed due to children attending their school who are kids of two MDs in Westchester County who have tested positive for the virus. I know it seems extreme to be canceling major events, but we really don’t know of it’s really extreme. Better safe than sorry.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I know it’s already caused us to cancel a vacation to SoCal scheduled 2 weeks from now and staying an overnight with my son and his family tomorrow because the kids schools are closed due to children attending their school who are kids of two MDs in Westchester County who have tested positive for the virus. I know it seems extreme to be canceling major events, but we really don’t know of it’s really extreme. Better safe than sorry.
Everything needs to be cancelled. Health organizations are saying the official numbers are just a fraction of the real number of infected, and we're dealing with an illness that multiplies 10-fold week by week. It is selfish to not be proactive on this.

Cancel the damn basketball games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah it sucks but we’re to the point where all precautions need to be taken. I’m a special ed teacher and a big concern in districts is covering legal service hours and conducting meetings to keep documents up with legal regulations. I think this may officially be the “biggest deal” outside wars in the Middle East if my lifetime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom