Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Something to keep an eye on in regards to Virus and AAC tournament

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After the announcement on Thursday at Gampel that the AAC had suspended the after-game handshake between the teams due to coronavirus precautions, I was surprised to see no such precautions after yesterday's game at Tulane.

@JustbrewitMan had a good take. Mine is different. 24 hours in New Orleans renders you fully immunized to absolutely everything. On top of that, they let everyone walk around with booze. So just up the proof a bit and you've got a hand sanitizer brigade.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I actually feel safer traveling now that everyone is actually washing their hands for once.
You aren't safer because they ain't washin all the time and you would be amazed at the number of times you will have inadvertant contaminated handcontact with your face.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In grad school, my professor was on a conference call with superintendents, Lamont, CIAC officials, mayors, etc. just now.
Dont be shocked by what is on the table...

Reaction Score
In 2009 the H1N1 virus killed 12,000 Americans (according to the CDC) and we played to a packed house in the final four at Ford Field. The final had an attendance of 71,000.

Preliminary studies suggest that COVID-19 is 20% more infectious than Swine Flu (H1N1) and 4-6x more deadly. So both more contagious and more deadly.

So sure. Let's do the same thing that killed 12,000 people instead of taking more precautions.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Just hook up with someone who has Lyme disease and your Corona virus worries are over.
... yeah dry cough, fever, sore throat, thought it was corona but it appears just to be plain ol' tuberculosis. (picked the wrong month for hand surgery?)

yeah i work in research university and the professors, doctors et al are of two camps; don't worry it's OK, and PANIC. i'm in the former, the frau in the latter.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Preliminary studies suggest that COVID-19 is 20% more infectious than Swine Flu (H1N1) and 4-6x more deadly. So both more contagious and more deadly.

So sure. Let's do the same thing that killed 12,000 people instead of taking more precautions.
you sure about that? only asking because i understand this stuff (bio-statistics and all that) and it doesn't comport with my understanding at all. corona viruses are generally not as virulent or persistent as influenza.

Reaction Score
you sure about that? only asking because i understand this stuff (bio-statistics and all that) and it doesn't comport with my understanding at all. corona viruses are generally not as virulent or persistent as influenza.

Currently estimated COVID-19 R0 is 2.2-3 and H1N1 was 1-4-1.8. CFR of H1N1 was ~0.5 and COVID-19 has been estimated anywhere from 1.6 to 3.2

Would love to believe otherwise, though, so if you can put me at ease feel free.

Reaction Score
Currently estimated COVID-19 R0 is 2.2-3 and H1N1 was 1-4-1.8. CFR of H1N1 was ~0.5 and COVID-19 has been estimated anywhere from 1.6 to 3.2

Would love to believe otherwise, though, so if you can put me at ease feel free.

At this point, data set is woefully incomplete to make any solid estimates/comparisons. Especially the fatality rate. Lots of suggestive evidence as it’s travelled outside of China that it will be lower than what you listed. Time will tell though.

Even if it’s only 1.5x more fatal than flu and a bit more contagious, it’s a serious issue because we don’t have a vaccine nor any reliably active medication to target it yet.

Reaction Score
If this happens I will knock on the door of the guy in Westchester County that has it. Force him to give me Coronavirus and then personally visit every BOT member to give it to them.

as I understand it, he is in ICU at Columbia Presbyterian, maybe he will be happy to see a visitor

Reaction Score

Why aren’t kids catching this? I haven’t heard any numbers regarding children getting this.

Reaction Score
Why aren’t kids catching this? I haven’t heard any numbers regarding children getting this.

The data from China shows that they definitely do catch it. But symptoms are usually more mild, with almost no deaths compared to 15% death rate above 80.

There was a report that some of the worst symptoms and death may be correlated with high blood pressure (not necessarily causation at this point). And kids generally have lower blood pressure. Could also just be that kids are stronger/healthier in certain ways.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I know is that young people only get very mild cases of it

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m more concerned with total death numbers than percentages when you consider reporting and people getting it with no symptoms. Sure 3% of people who are hospitalized with it die but how many hundreds of thousands had it and didn’t even know? Only the sickest people are going to the hospital so 3% of the sickest people are dying.

The flip side of not showing symptoms is the risk of carrying and getting an immunocompromised person sick. Pretty terrifying for the father of a 2 month old.

Reaction Score

The average age of a coronavirus victim in the USA is 80. That's right 80.

If you are under 50 and in relatively good health your chances of having anything beyond a fever are pretty slim.

Reaction Score
The average age of a coronavirus victim in the USA is 80. That's right 80.

If you are under 50 and in relatively good health your chances of having anything beyond a fever are pretty slim.

Right you will just run the risk of giving it to your older relatives and who cares if they die at 80 instead of some older age, they won't be around to complain.

Reaction Score
Right you will just run the risk of giving it to your older relatives and who cares if they die at 80 instead of some older age, they won't be around to complain.
Yes, you have be careful around older people, exactly right.

But your risk is minimal.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
After the announcement on Thursday at Gampel that the AAC had suspended the after-game handshake between the teams due to coronavirus precautions, I was surprised to see no such precautions after yesterday's game at Tulane.
As if the handshakes after the game would have been the only point of transmittance....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom