Some thoughts on the game (from the game)... | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on the game (from the game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, I want to say it was great running into (and meeting for the first time) several BY'ers. Saw @MilfordHusky , @DavidinNaples , @HuskyNan , @dannykuconn , @Tonyc and probably a few others. Hopefully will see more on Monday...

I also want to throw out a peeve for just a second. Let me say that this was one of the MOST enjoyable games I've watched UCONN play in many years, notwithstanding NC games, and the final margin of victory was 60 points (and it could have been 80). This was against a top 15 team, but BFD. It was an absolutely gorgeous and devastating display of UCONN basketball at it's very best.

But I want to ask - aside from the stakes being higher, why are "some" people so "up" on this game after being so "down" on some of the UCONN blowouts in the AAC? I don't want to belabor the point, but I strongly disagree with anyone who "hated" the blowouts in the AAC games. It was the last season to see Stewie, Moriah, and probably Morgan. IMHO, anyone who didn't like those games needs to reexamine what it means to be a UCONN fan and why the rest of us appreciate this team so much. They play magnificent basketball and I have 100% enjoyed every second they were on the court, no matter how severe the blowout.

On to the game(s). Yes there was a 2nd game after UCONN. But for those watching on TV, what we witnessed in the 1st half was probably the greatest explosion of near-perfect basketball in the the history of the game. I will say that for the first 2 minutes, UCONN's defense looked a tiny bit out of synch, as Miss got several wide open shots that they just missed, but...

Teams in the SEC are scoring challenged. Most teams in the rest of WCBB are scoring challenged. They simply have a hard time putting the ball in the basket. Given that I've not seen Stewie live this year before this game, I am of the opinion that I've never seen her play such a complete and dominating game. She was absolutely everywhere - on offense AND defense, and while she didn't score 40, she could have. Just sensational.

I think she's the greatest college player ever. Some may argue that there are others, and several of them are UCONN players, but there is no one who can do as much as she can do, and do it as well as she can do it. I hope UCONN fans realize and appreciate how remarkable she is, and how remarkable the last 4 years have been, because it's likely most of us will never see it again in our lifetimes.

The rest of the team was just sensational too. Moriah was awesome on defense. Morgan looked more mobile that I've ever seen. Kia is a beast on defense, and has really learned to channel her aggression on offense. Lou - I believe she'll be vying for NPOY next year. And Napheesa and Gabby both looked terrific. The future is going to be very fun for UCONN fans.

In spite of the huge blowout, the place was packed to the gills, and the fans were VERY loud and very appreciative of the great display of basketball they saw. You can tell UCONN fans are knowledgeable - not only appreciating specific plays, but also as players would come out - appreciating the great work they did on the court. It was a joy to watch and a joy to be there.

Texas and UCLA - umm... an exciting game - hard fought, but so sloppy and messy and disjointed - it made my eyes hurt at times. Without sounding overly confident, neither team showed anything that even slightly made me worried. It was fun watching those two teams tho, especially to compare to UCONN...\

Last thing - oddly noted - was that when Texas comes out at the start of the game and at halftime, they run NO drills. In fact, the entire team just stands around the FT like area and one or 2 players shoots FT's for about 5 minutes. I've never seen anything like it. Oh, and the outfits on the cheerleaders look like they are from the 80's. Blech. :)

Reaction Score
I was not in the game (unfortunately) but what I saw on TV was amazing basketball! The first half was the best half of basketball I've ever seen (especially considering it was a top 15 team UConn played against with hight and great athletes)!

Reaction Score
One game at a time; however, after watching Baylor, if the two teams meet, you'll see a lot of Gabby Williams guarding Nina Davis. She will be the most difficult match up for UConn. Also, after watching Baylor, UConn's bigs, Breanna and Morgan, will dominate Baylor's bigs. Advantage UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One game at a time; however, after watching Baylor, if the two teams meet, you'll see a lot of Gabby Williams guarding Nina Davis. She will be the most difficult match up for UConn. Also, after watching Baylor, UConn's bigs, Breanna and Morgan, will dominate Baylor's bigs. Advantage UConn.
Maybe. It was Kia on Victoria Vivians today and she was fantastic. I would trust her to start out on Davis.

Reaction Score
Nina Davis is going to have to guard either, Stewie, Morgan, or KLS, and Nina is a great player, but those 3 are a problem for anyone.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Maybe. It was Kia on Victoria Vivians today and she was fantastic. I would trust her to start out on Davis.
I was thinking about the matchup problem Davis presents before coming to this thread. I would trust Kia on Nina, but then who guards Jones? Lou?

I'm a little nervous about Baylor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was thinking about the matchup problem Davis presents before coming to this thread. I would trust Kia on Nina, but then who guards Jones? Lou?
image.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One game at a time. Neither team has made it to the Final Four yet. They both have another game play.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Don't be nervous. Moriah will take care of Niya Johnson and who will guard Stewie? They have no one to guard her. Baylors big will struggle with UConns quickness. First Baylor has to beat Oregon St. Theyre pretty good too.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Don't be nervous. Moriah will take care of Niya Johnson and who will guard Stewie? They have no one to guard her. Baylors big will struggle with UConns quickness. First Baylor has to beat Oregon St. Theyre pretty good too.

Reaction Score
One game at a time. Neither team has made it to the Final Four yet. They both have another game play.

I agree. After watching Oregon State, there is no way one can automatically assume Baylor will win their next game.

Reaction Score
First, I want to say it was great running into (and meeting for the first time) several BY'ers. Saw @MilfordHusky , @DavidinNaples , @HuskyNan , @dannykuconn , @Tonyc and probably a few others. Hopefully will see more on Monday...

I also want to throw out a peeve for just a second. Let me say that this was one of the MOST enjoyable games I've watched UCONN play in many years, notwithstanding NC games, and the final margin of victory was 60 points (and it could have been 80). This was against a top 15 team, but BFD. It was an absolutely gorgeous and devastating display of UCONN basketball at it's very best.

But I want to ask - aside from the stakes being higher, why are "some" people so "up" on this game after being so "down" on some of the UCONN blowouts in the AAC? I don't want to belabor the point, but I strongly disagree with anyone who "hated" the blowouts in the AAC games. It was the last season to see Stewie, Moriah, and probably Morgan. IMHO, anyone who didn't like those games needs to reexamine what it means to be a UCONN fan and why the rest of us appreciate this team so much. They play magnificent basketball and I have 100% enjoyed every second they were on the court, no matter how severe the blowout.

On to the game(s). Yes there was a 2nd game after UCONN. But for those watching on TV, what we witnessed in the 1st half was probably the greatest explosion of near-perfect basketball in the the history of the game. I will say that for the first 2 minutes, UCONN's defense looked a tiny bit out of synch, as Miss got several wide open shots that they just missed, but...

Teams in the SEC are scoring challenged. Most teams in the rest of WCBB are scoring challenged. They simply have a hard time putting the ball in the basket. Given that I've not seen Stewie live this year before this game, I am of the opinion that I've never seen her play such a complete and dominating game. She was absolutely everywhere - on offense AND defense, and while she didn't score 40, she could have. Just sensational.

I think she's the greatest college player ever. Some may argue that there are others, and several of them are UCONN players, but there is no one who can do as much as she can do, and do it as well as she can do it. I hope UCONN fans realize and appreciate how remarkable she is, and how remarkable the last 4 years have been, because it's likely most of us will never see it again in our lifetimes.

The rest of the team was just sensational too. Moriah was awesome on defense. Morgan looked more mobile that I've ever seen. Kia is a beast on defense, and has really learned to channel her aggression on offense. Lou - I believe she'll be vying for NPOY next year. And Napheesa and Gabby both looked terrific. The future is going to be very fun for UCONN fans.

In spite of the huge blowout, the place was packed to the gills, and the fans were VERY loud and very appreciative of the great display of basketball they saw. You can tell UCONN fans are knowledgeable - not only appreciating specific plays, but also as players would come out - appreciating the great work they did on the court. It was a joy to watch and a joy to be there.

Texas and UCLA - umm... an exciting game - hard fought, but so sloppy and messy and disjointed - it made my eyes hurt at times. Without sounding overly confident, neither team showed anything that even slightly made me worried. It was fun watching those two teams tho, especially to compare to UCONN...\

Last thing - oddly noted - was that when Texas comes out at the start of the game and at halftime, they run NO drills. In fact, the entire team just stands around the FT like area and one or 2 players shoots FT's for about 5 minutes. I've never seen anything like it. Oh, and the outfits on the cheerleaders look like they are from the 80's. Blech. :)
I saw you fly by me on the stairs but you seemed to be in a hurry...so a belated hello!

Reaction Score
My wife and I were there today. I was getting tired watching how relentless the Huskies played. I agree with the OP that at the beginning it was a matter of Miss St missing shots but we sped them up so much they were rushing their shots, making sure they got a shot before someone closed on them. Moriah didn't score much but she is such a defensive force and I loved when she picked the pocket of a Miss St player who Kia was guarding(and doing a great job of guarding). The passes were crisp, well handled and the layups went up so fast it was unbelievable. Stewie is playing with so much confidence and we were sure if she finished the 3rd quarter she would have had a triple double. To the OP, people were not excited about the AAC blowouts because some of those teams were not competitive. Miss St is an SEC team and a top 15-20 team. We expected a more competitive game and were shocked at the outcome. These women deserve a ton of credit especially in light of the fact that Notre Dame and SC lost last night. We'll see everybody there Monday. Go Huskies!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So you'd have KLS guard the Pg? Have her sag in the paint?

What does Baylor start? Is Nina Davis the sf or pf?
UCONN still needs to get past Texas (which I think we do somewhat easily if tonight's game is any indication) and Baylor needs to get past Oregon State, which I think is a taller order. Nina Davis is a forward - think Gabby Williams. Undersized but VERY effective.

Baylor would probably start Jones, Prince, Johnson, Davis and Mompremier. From a size perspective, they are actually a bit smaller than UCONN who starts a smaller guard (Jefferson), but every other UCONN player is taller than their coutnerpart except for Stewie vs. Mompremier. If both teams get to the final 4, it isn't until Baylor goes to their bench that they would enjoy a size advantage.

It's just my opinion, and while I think Baylor is very talented, I think they are not a good matchup for UCONN. Stewie would eat Mompremier (or Brown or Cave or Higgins alive - and they won't be able go guard Tuck either). Also, as talented as Jones is, she's not seen a player like Jefferson. If Lawson and Burke are correct and that Jefferson, Tuck and Stewart are the best in the nation at their respective positions, there's simply no way for Baylor to match up.

We will see just how much of a difference "size" makes when UCONN goes up against 6'7" Imanee Boyette (previously Stafford-McGee)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Be careful commenting about cheerleaders and their outfits - it can get you in a LOT of hot water! (Just ask John!):eek:

Wanted to emphasize your 'peeve' because I do agree - I realize that people just love watching 1-0 baseball games and 6-3 NFL games :rolleyes: because they are so competitive, but give me a Uconn blow out any day. I liked the comment from the announcers about going to a broadway show - you know the story, you know the music, you aren't there for the drama, you are there for the performance. And you certainly are hoping you get to see the regular cast and not the understudies who may or may not hit the right notes and remember the lines! (Yeah, I did just praise a certain game commentator who comported herself with a moment of intelligence.):)

And yes - Uconn blowing out MissSt by 60 with starters leaving the game with3+ minutes left in the 3rd Q is no different than blowing out OSU by 44, and none of the OOC games Besides DePaul, ND, MD, and SC provided any more competition than Tulane, Memphis, Temple, etc. in conference.

Since the AAC was formed, if you are not good enough to win your own conference, then you haven't been good enough to provide the level of competition we get from our conference mate USF. I hope that continues to prove true through the next three games.

Reaction Score
1. what we witnessed in the 1st half was probably the greatest explosion of near-perfect basketball in the the history of the game.

2. I think [Stewie's] the greatest college player ever.

3. The rest of the team was just sensational too.
Executive Summary.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Mo on Jones, Kia on Davis. Lou on Prince. Kia and Mo may switch at times.
OK, but who guards the point guard (Niya Johnson)?

I wonder if Stewie might play Davis? Then Mo plays Johnson, Kia plays Jones, and Lou plays Prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom