Some thoughts on last nites game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on last nites game

Reaction Score
Let's be for full disclosure: Every UC player was mugged. I saw so many fouls on one trip to the basket UCLA as a team could have fouled out on that drive by Collier --I honestly don't know how Napheesa and KLS could walk after the weights (UCLA team) they were carrying for 40 minutes. Geno's partial hug at games end told me alot. Geno will give nice word in the line to the other coach when his/her team plays hard--that's a good game--mugging isn't basketball.
I noticed that too. I might go back and replay the previous UCLA game endings to verify but I do think that both coaches were more "cordial" those times. I thought that last night, both coaches almost did fly-byes with little or no words exchanged. I think that the UCLA coach also wasn't too happy with the officiating and that may have been a factor. But I agree that Geno probably wasn't happy with the muggings and he should be getting tired of this type of play, especially if during practice that you are working on your customary coaching and running plays and then watch how in the game the offense is getting hacked, hip checked and smacked around and the refs are oblivious until one of our players puts a finger on the person that they are guarding and the whistle is blowing.

Oh well. We survived another slugfest.

Reaction Score
Tony,
I was at the game last night and noticed when the teams returned at halftime Lou looked for something by the bench area, ran back to the locker room, came back to the bench area, looked around again, returned to the locker room and came back just in time to start the second half. No warmup shots. She could box out for rebounds but seemingly couldn’t jump to get them. I have lumbar issues and looking at her posture, I don’t think she’s over whatever the issue is. God bless her she’s playing through it.

Reaction Score
W
Let's be for full disclosure: Every UC player was mugged. I saw so many fouls on one trip to the basket UCLA as a team could have fouled out on that drive by Collier --I honestly don't know how Napheesa and KLS could walk after the weights (UCLA team) they were carrying for 40 minutes. Geno's partial hug at games end told me alot. Geno will give nice word in the line to the other coach when his/her team plays hard--that's a good game--mugging isn't basketball.
What are you fully disclosing? I've got my opinion. It's called basketball. This is tough, hard-nosed basketball. It's been around since Naismith hammered the nails in those peach baskets.
Quit frickin crying and start thinking about strategy and tactics to beat it. Better players can beat it.
How about what we actually did in the 4th quarter? 1) Danger is better than their guards! And most guards, if not all guards. Off the dribble!! Don't stand there with the ball over your head, waiting for KLS to cut. (while we're still young) Attack! And then KLS can MOVE to the open spot. 2) get out of that stupid zone 3) pick up half court at least and do some trapping. At least speed them up a little. Stop frickin worrying about fatigue! Ain't gunna happen, and if it does, so be it! Lose playing our way, not their way. 4) you have to cut with intensity and conviction. V cuts. Like Pheesa's cut in the 4th quarter from the top. 5) Set real screens. Not little girl screens. It's a contact sport! 2nd oldest play in basketball after the give and go is the pick and roll. Just like the beloved NBA, run a heavy diet of pick and roll. Impossible to stop, especially when our players are better than your players!
The way to beat physical D is to MOVE!!! Refs call fouls when progress is impeded unfairly. If no one is moving, they won't. Give them evidence that fouls are occurring. MOVE!!! (KLS' trouble is, she can't move. Her actions are too slow. Like that drive baseline, when she charged. )

Reaction Score
And they called it a flagrant foul because she hit Lou in the head. But imo it was not intentional. Lou faked drummer out of her shoes. Drummer was way up in the air and was about to come flying over Lou’s back like Christyn over the scorer’s table. She instinctively grabbed for whatever she could to break her foul, which happened to be Lou’s head. The refs got this call correct: 2 shot technical foul and UConn gets the ball.
Exactly. These people see what they want to see. If you've been in this position you know exactly what Drummer was doing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exactly. These people see what they want to see. If you've been in this position you know exactly what Drummer was doing.
My point is that the refs got the call right. I will acknowledge that last night’s game was physical, but too many BY’ers only see half the game.

Take some time to watch Megan muscle opposing post players with her forearm. Watch Pheesa drive her knee into the back of an opponent to establish position in the paint. Check out Lou hooking her off arm around an opponent while boxing them out.

These are not delicate little girls with bows in their hair and pleated skirts. They’re basketball players.

Reaction Score
Here's the deal: if UConn shoot 52 - 54 percent and make the threes with regularity as it did in the first game against Towson, then they will beat Louisville despite any physical play attempted. It's going to be all about accurate shooting. They are about due for this and to light up the scoreboards. Here's hoping.

Reaction Score
Lou has to do better on Sunday. I don't care if 5 people are guarding her.
Lou has to do better on Sunday. I don't care if 5 people are guarding her.
We can win with Lou playing like she did last night. Maybe 1-3 instead of 1-6. If we're counting on Lou riding to the rescue, we're sunk. In fact, we could win without her. Let's approach the rest of the year with the idea that anything she gives us is a bonus. She's a leader. She has rapport with her teammates. Tributes to her! She was a bit of a glue guy last night. Not overwhelmingly so, but nonetheless.
Having said all that, I wouldn't freak if Geno got her some rest, so the 5 that started in the conference tournament could get some run together. I thought of that last night.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fierce Lou. From the official site:

A7ADC0D9-4E08-42A1-956E-34A1B056FBBA.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think that the women's basketball rules call that an "unsportsmanlike" foul, rather than "flagrant" as the men's rules consider them. Really the same thing, and the same free throws and a throw -in. Not sure why that is so. That play could have been a "disqualifying" foul considering the photographic evidence. Kinda looked like WWE, rather than WBB. :)
You are right of course: But a rose of a different name is still a rose. I prefer a fragrant foul.

Reaction Score
We can win with Lou playing like she did last night. Maybe 1-3 instead of 1-6. If we're counting on Lou riding to the rescue, we're sunk. In fact, we could win without her. Let's approach the rest of the year with the idea that anything she gives us is a bonus. She's a leader. She has rapport with her teammates. Tributes to her! She was a bit of a glue guy last night. Not overwhelmingly so, but nonetheless.
Having said all that, I wouldn't freak if Geno got her some rest, so the 5 that started in the conference tournament could get some run together. I thought of that last night.
Wow oh wow can I agree with this.!!! If KLS has not given US fans 4 solid years of pleasure and injuries and playing with those injures--who deserve more respect, more thank you's. If UC is relying on KLS to win games--forget it, be thankful she is even on the floor. I'd like to see her sitting 30 minutes but REALITY is : Her height and board play and decoy play (for Collier or CW scoring) is needed. Uconn played well without her against AAC's that true. But this is a horse of a different color. I hate that she must play as hurt as she is (courage is spelled Katie Lou) but I doubt Uc win's without her on the floor.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts watching the game from the TUC:
  • UCLA’s frontline of Burke, Onyenware & Drummer were the most athletic front court I’ve ever seen in WCBB. All 3 were strong. They could run the court, jump, put the ball on the floor and score.
  • I’ve always felt, more than any other Husky, Crystal was capable of getting her own shot. In the post game presser, Crystal was reluctant to say that she took over the game in the 4th qtr. But make no mistake about it, Crystal took over the game in the 4th qtr.
  • Lou is clearly not even close to 100%. She’s not running or jumping like a person with a healthy back. Lou’s hanging in there on pure guts: make a pass, draw a fall, get a rebound, make a big steal; anything she can do to help her team.
  • I don’t know if this team can dig down and summon one more heroic effort against what will be a favored Louisville tomorrow, but I’m certain they will give absolutely everything they have.
I liked each word. Last Bullet--I have anxiety pains thinking of this 5/6 running most of 40 minute/ forced to play tight man to man Defense in the 4th. How much more can those 5 or 6 bodies take. Is there any gas left in the tanks? I fairly sure, Walz will take as much advantage of that energy loss and run 10 kids at Geno's kids (our kids). I posted that KLS is the new name for Courage (or words to that effect) what more can she give?? I keep forgetting the Iron Woman: Collier how far can or will Geno ride her?? Time for CW to fulfill my prediction that she will do a Stewie for this tournament!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You are right of course: But a rose of a different name is still a rose. I prefer a fragrant foul.
I can always count on you,B'way. Something amazing every time! The Bard is cringing! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think that the women's basketball rules call that an "unsportsmanlike" foul, rather than "flagrant" as the men's rules consider them. Really the same thing, and the same free throws and a throw -in. Not sure why that is so. That play could have been a "disqualifying" foul considering the photographic evidence. Kinda looked like WWE, rather than WBB. :)
The announcers said they were expecting a Flagrant 1, which would have carried additional free throws beyond the 2 for the common foul. But then it was actually called an Unsportsmanlike, which only gives the team who was fouled possession after the 2 common foul free throws.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Enough with the intangibles. This is the Elite Eight, we need tangibles.

Reaction Score
UCLA blanketed Lou. Result Collier goes off. UCLA blankets Lou and Collier Dangerfield goes off. Result UConn won. Only one team in all of yesterdays games outscored UConn (Miss St 74) and many BYers thought UConn didnt play well. I liked CW taking the ball inside. I thought the refs let alot go with her dribble penetration. Walker with double diget rebounds was big too. UCLA played a very physcial game which will prepare UConn for Lville. Both teams know each other. I expect the score to be in 60's maybe one team reaches 70 pts. We will need our W2's to score and I think they will. CW's dribble penetration will cause fits for LVille and I think CD gained some confidence after her second half performance. Its not about scoring its about steppin up when those you defer to arent scoring. We saw that last nite. The comeback and CD leading the way was huge for the teams confidence imo. It proved to them that they dont have to depend on Lou and Phessa. It showed them they can win when both arent scoring. I think UCLA thought make everybody else beat us and they did.

We scored 69 pts last nite and LVille scored 61. I like our chances against them. Its gonna be a hard fought game. I also expect Lou to be a decoy once again leaving somebody(s) open to score. Lou can score against LVille and UConn will be open from the outside. UConn 67 LVille 58
Believe that if Geno gives Lou more opportunities at the mid-range game, she can post up and score a bunch of 10 footers. Letting her get mauled 25 feet from basket hasn't been working out

Reaction Score
I can always count on you,B'way. Something amazing every time! The Bard is cringing! :rolleyes:
For sooth I know not why I am so sad, it waries me does it wary you? Or would you prefer a tulip by any other name is still a tulip---?? She wore a tulip a bright yellow tulip and I wore a big red rose--etc. I asked st peter for a nice rose and he gave me a great big red nose. (Irish you know).

Reaction Score
Man just watching the game now. When we were down, our players forced some shots or made some bad choices. Just glad that UCLA made more mistakes when they were up. Hopefully against Louisville our shots start falling. We can't just depend on our offense coming from Naphessa.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that it would be best if Lou was benched. Uconn would have a better shot with a healthy player than a player at 50%. Sure defenses pay a great deal of attention to her but she's not defending or rebounding well and at this time of year, that is what matters most. Because when shots don't fall, defense and rebounding will always be there. Im sure there is at least ONE individual on the bench who can provide that. I know Lou is a senior and she has been struggling with injuries her entire career at Uconn, but Geno needs to do what's best for the team.

Reaction Score
W

What are you fully disclosing? I've got my opinion. It's called basketball. This is tough, hard-nosed basketball. It's been around since Naismith hammered the nails in those peach baskets.
Quit frickin crying and start thinking about strategy and tactics to beat it. Better players can beat it.
How about what we actually did in the 4th quarter? 1) Danger is better than their guards! And most guards, if not all guards. Off the dribble!! Don't stand there with the ball over your head, waiting for KLS to cut. (while we're still young) Attack! And then KLS can MOVE to the open spot. 2) get out of that stupid zone 3) pick up half court at least and do some trapping. At least speed them up a little. Stop frickin worrying about fatigue! Ain't gunna happen, and if it does, so be it! Lose playing our way, not their way. 4) you have to cut with intensity and conviction. V cuts. Like Pheesa's cut in the 4th quarter from the top. 5) Set real screens. Not little girl screens. It's a contact sport! 2nd oldest play in basketball after the give and go is the pick and roll. Just like the beloved NBA, run a heavy diet of pick and roll. Impossible to stop, especially when our players are better than your players!
The way to beat physical D is to MOVE!!! Refs call fouls when progress is impeded unfairly. If no one is moving, they won't. Give them evidence that fouls are occurring. MOVE!!! (KLS' trouble is, she can't move. Her actions are too slow. Like that drive baseline, when she charged. )
Thanks Geno. We thought you were gone. Head bang :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I truly believe that it would be best if Lou was benched. Uconn would have a better shot with a healthy player than a player at 50%. Sure defenses pay a great deal of attention to her but she's not defending or rebounding well and at this time of year, that is what matters most. Because when shots don't fall, defense and rebounding will always be there. Im sure there is at least ONE individual on the bench who can provide that. I know Lou is a senior and she has been struggling with injuries her entire career at Uconn, but Geno needs to do what's best for the team.
Yup and Geno did what is best for the team!!!!!

But I am sure when he checks out the BY today that he will note your 11 NCs and your advice. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Enough with the intangibles. This is the Elite Eight, we need tangibles.
Ouch! Ever heard of Billy Belichick? Interchangeable parts.
Some of the things she does are intangibly tangible. Like her connection with Phees.
I hear you though.

Reaction Score
Holly interviewed Geno after the third quarter. He indicated that UConn would have to play more one-on-one ball in the fourth. Crystal surely got the message. I was hoping that CW would too because she is a load going to the rim.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The announcers said they were expecting a Flagrant 1, which would have carried additional free throws beyond the 2 for the common foul. But then it was actually called an Unsportsmanlike, which only gives the team who was fouled possession after the 2 common foul free throws.
I realize that is what they said, and I was confused. So I looked up FIBA/ NCAAW rules and read that they do not ever use flagrant terminology. The men still use that term, however. The article states that for 2017-2018 season the terms were changed to unsportsmanlike (1) or disqualifying (2). So the article I read is wrong, though corroborated, or the announcers were off base again. My bet is on the announcers being off base, as that is where they spend so much of their time. But I do not know for sure! I feel as though I have been living in the upside down for several years now. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom