Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 216 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJT

Reaction Score
Has it yet been explained where the 11.5 million dollars UConn is going to have to pay (buyouts with the firing/hiring) is coming from? That is a lot of money for a department that is experiencing shrinking revenues. As near as I can tell, 10.5M may have to potentially be paid Ollie and 1M paid to URI for Hurley's buyout. While UConn is fighting the Ollie amount, my gut tells me he will have a strong claim on all or near all of it. Add in the legal fees surrounding the KO dismissal and it could end up even more.

Reaction Score
Has it yet been explained where the 11.5 million dollars UConn is going to have to pay (buyouts with the firing/hiring) is coming from? That is a lot of money for a department that is experiencing shrinking revenues. As near as I can tell, 10.5M may have to potentially be paid Ollie and 1M paid to URI for Hurley's buyout. While UConn is fighting the Ollie amount, my gut tells me he will have a strong claim on all or near all of it. Add in the legal fees surrounding the KO dismissal and it could end up even more.
gracious boosters who want to see UConn back on top

TJT

Reaction Score
gracious boosters who want to see UConn back on top

Are you suggesting that just a few boosters are coming up with such a large amount? Who are they? That is serious money and most people that give that type of money usually want their name on a building for posterity sake. They don't get that with this situation.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that just a few boosters are coming up with such a large amount? Who are they? That is serious money and most people that give that type of money usually want their name on a building for posterity sake. They don't get that with this situation.
I have zero specifics on the buyout in terms of who and how much. No one is really talking about it since the process isn't completed. I'm sure more info will get out to the media and some people here when it's finalized.

I also see no way it's close to the full amount

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It'll get negotiated to under 5 mil, probably. The donors will make a donation to the general athletics fund, they can get their name on a section of the new rec center or something.

TJT

Reaction Score
It'll get negotiated to under 5 mil, probably. The donors will make a donation to the general athletics fund, they can get their name on a section of the new rec center or something.

We shall see. Your figure is less than half the buyout amount of the contract. I would think you would need some serious dirt on him to get it lowered to that. Seems like very wishful thinking for such a low amount. If I am Ollie, I am fighting for the full amount in the union arbitration grievance and if that was not favorable, pursuing legal action via the courts. UConn is unfortunately likely going to have to come closer to the high number to make this go away quick and avoid bad PR. KO's reputation has already taken a hit and he doesn't have much to lose fighting this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If seeing the ocean so clearly is important... I’m pretty sure Groton Long Point isn’t a tough commute.
Takes me about 45-50 mins to get to UConn from my parents house in GLP...Didn't even think about Hurley buying a house here but it would make sense. I'll keep an eye out for him

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
CT and RI fought over Stonington, Westerly, and Wickford for decades. Part of the lore behind the Stonington/Westerly Thanksgiving football game.

From your article linked:
"By 1720, news of the agitation reached the ears of King George I, who threatened to revoke the charters and cede both colonies to New Hampshire before he ultimately decided in favor of Connecticut."

This was the colonial equivalent of telling your kids that if they can't share a toy neither of them will get it.

Seems like an idle threat from the king. Why would NH get it all? They were one colony removed, with Mass. in between. NH would have ended up being non-contiguous. I think the king was just blowing smoke to make the kids behave themselves.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Seems like an idle threat from the king. Why would NH get it all? They were one colony removed, with Mass. in between. NH would have ended up being non-contiguous. I think the king was just blowing smoke to make the kids behave themselves.
IIRC Maine was originally part of Massachusetts colony. Then there's the whole Pennamite-Yankee Wars thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We shall see. Your figure is less than half the buyout amount of the contract. I would think you would need some serious dirt on him to get it lowered to that. Seems like very wishful thinking for such a low amount. If I am Ollie, I am fighting for the full amount in the union arbitration grievance and if that was not favorable, pursuing legal action via the courts. UConn is unfortunately likely going to have to come closer to the high number to make this go away quick and avoid bad PR. KO's reputation has already taken a hit and he doesn't have much to lose fighting this.

The contractual language is so wide open that it gives UCONN significant leverage. Who knows how it will go down in the end.

But it's in the interest of both parties to settle outside of court. You think Ollie really wants to drag his name through the mud in open court? I don't.

Right now, it appears to the general public that Ollie is being fired for poor performance. I'd imagine he'd want to sustain that narrative, as there's plenty more potential reputational hits he could take if they go to court.

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
As this thread approaches more views than the Diallo thread, I’d like to take a moment to reflect.

Long used to being kicked in the nuts over conference realignment, football losing since 2011, and basketball recruiting misses, this thread brought me back out of a long boneyard hiatus.

It felt good again to participate in this community of UConn fanboys(and girls) and degenerates alike.

I have a positive outlook again. Edsall. Hurley. Dare I say power 5 coming?

All that said, we’re still forking doomed but I love it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I, for one, am about to unwatch it. Hurley is here. Nothing more to be gleaned. Not much value in a bunch of bumps for the sole sake of bumps (or views) and I doubt I'll be able to add much more either.

TJT

Reaction Score
Right now, it appears to the general public that Ollie is being fired for poor performance.

And the general public would be right as that is the true real reason for the firing. The just cause bit for some wrong doing is really just ammunition to get out of paying the full buyout amount. If Ollie had kept up winning, he would still be the coach just as Calhoun was for all those years even though he had some misdeeds along the way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And the general public would be right as that is the true real reason for the firing. The just cause bit for some wrong doing is really just ammunition to get out of paying the full buyout amount. If Ollie had kept up winning, he would still be the coach just as Calhoun was for all those years even though he had some misdeeds along the way.
th

Reaction Score
After the ship in 14 you would have thought KO would have nailed a recruiting class or two to read about. Never happened.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Of course he got fired for performance. But there was other stuff along the way that might be able to fit through that gaping hole in the contractual language.

And if the 'threat' of court involves potential to smear somebodies' reputation, that somebody is going to take it seriously. Narratives can change on a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom