Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 204 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Just the fact that K let’s one of his guys go coach in his own conference tells you all you need to know about Pitt. They’re the DePaul of the ACC.

Reaction Score
100% think it's Pitt as well. Jeff Capel's recruting classes at OU were elite.
He's got #1 draft picks like Blake Griffin to point to as well.
Blake Griffin was 16th in the class. He was better than expected.

Capel’s class ranks at OU:
2006: 73rd (Sampson’s fault)
2007: 24th
2008: 17th
2009: 13th
2010: 40th

He was definitely a good recruiter. He had three 5 stars over his time there. I wouldn’t say “elite” though, and considering just how horrible of shape Pitt is in, I wouldn’t expect a 5 star to commit to Pitt until the 2020 class (unless it’s someone local to Pittsburgh).

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's buyout money gives Rhody some options
The use of the buyout money is just one of a series of major decisions that Bjorn and school president David Dooley have no doubt discussed over the last few days. Bjorn has decided not to attend the Final Four this weekend in San Antonio in order to keep working on his search. He’s clearly committed to exploring several avenues and talking to some sitting head coaches, as well as weighing the option of promoting Cox.

One name to watch is Joe Dooley, the coach at Florida Gulf Coast. He was a finalist when URI hired Hurley but has since led FGCU to at least 20 wins, one NCAA Tournament and three NIT berths in five seasons. Dooley, 52, is a New Jersey native who recruited the best players in the country for Bill Self at Kansas from 2003-13.

Vermont’s John Becker, 49, is ready for a move up the coaching ladder. He’s a Connecticut native who has won 20 or more games in each of his seven seasons. On a different note, Buffalo’s Nate Oats recently signed an extension with a $1 million buyout. That lessens his availability for a program like URI that would like to avoid paying a large buyout figure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's buyout money gives Rhody some options
The use of the buyout money is just one of a series of major decisions that Bjorn and school president David Dooley have no doubt discussed over the last few days. Bjorn has decided not to attend the Final Four this weekend in San Antonio in order to keep working on his search. He’s clearly committed to exploring several avenues and talking to some sitting head coaches, as well as weighing the option of promoting Cox.

One name to watch is Joe Dooley, the coach at Florida Gulf Coast. He was a finalist when URI hired Hurley but has since led FGCU to at least 20 wins, one NCAA Tournament and three NIT berths in five seasons. Dooley, 52, is a New Jersey native who recruited the best players in the country for Bill Self at Kansas from 2003-13.

Vermont’s John Becker, 49, is ready for a move up the coaching ladder. He’s a Connecticut native who has won 20 or more games in each of his seven seasons. On a different note, Buffalo’s Nate Oats recently signed an extension with a $1 million buyout. That lessens his availability for a program like URI that would like to avoid paying a large buyout figure.

Why would Oats go to URI? Not a big prestige bump. Maybe double his salary at best.

Oats is not the type of guy they'd ever land. He's got a chance to earn 3m+ next year, at one of the better programs in the country. The Bulls are gonna be good next year.

Reaction Score
"Just like almost every P5 job is a better gig than UConn in the current landscape. Many neutral and respected college hoop minds outside of this board will and have agreed to that."

-URI fan, 2 hours ago.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my first post after several years of vicariously enjoying Boneyard posts for MBB and FB. It was this thread that captivated me and reinvigorated my love for all things UCONN sports. As an Arizona snowbird I had a goal this winter to give up watching cable news networks and, by golly, I substituted that viewing compulsion with compulsively checking the Boneyard. Couldn’t be happier. GO UCONN.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hoping Hurley puts together a team similar to this one...

I’m turning 33 this year.

I think we get banner #5 before I hit 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom