Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 203 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oats seems more of a natural fit with Hall, if Willard gets snatched up elsewhere.
How so? Guy from Wisconsin, brief low-level Wisconsin college coaching experience followed by 10 years coaching Detroit-area high school ball, a few years similarly coaching almost in Canada?

Reaction Score
He seemed pretty cool with staying from everything I’ve read and heard him say...so I was surprised he even interviewed.
After Oats minimally had a phone interview with pitt, he or his agent shared or repeated such comments.

Reaction Score
Doesn't surprise me. I think that they are more likely to settle after there hear the specifics of UConn's basis for dismissal than before.
It's an interesting question.
It's probably one of these three:
Both sides have the same facts and have reached the same legal conclusion and the only question remaining is what's the settlement number.
Both sides don't have the same facts and KO is waiting to see whether UConn has the nuts. As far as I've read, the FBI has not made their findings public. Further, the NCAA has not made their findings public. Further, UConn may have information not held by either the FBI or the NCAA.
The amount of the settlement will tell you whether UConn was holding the nuts.
Less than 3 mill, lots of dirt on Ollie.
3-5, good amount of dirt.
5-7, not much dirt.
8 or higher? Probably a baseless or nearly baseless case. But if you paid your legal team 300k and you settled for 2 million less than the contract, that's good business, if not nice, and "business is business and business must grow, regardless of crummies in tummies, you know."
I'll bet Dan Hurley knows which it is.

Reaction Score
Doesn't surprise me. I think that they are more likely to settle after there hear the specifics of UConn's basis for dismissal than before.
After AD.DB puts UConn's cards on the table, ex-coach KO's camp will clearly have more insight on how much they can hold out for in settlement negotiations. The contract's "just cause" clause may favor UConn, but time and AD.DB's and PSH's shared desire for the whole thing to go away may play to the former coach's advantage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How so? Guy from Wisconsin, brief low-level Wisconsin college coaching experience followed by 10 years coaching Detroit-area high school ball, a few years similarly coaching almost in Canada?
Hall_Oates-1980s1.jpg

Reaction Score
Hall & Oates
IDK, their 80s' boy-bandish doo fits in fairly well with many catching up a few decades later in western PA. However, slobbishly overweight and mullet might take the cake. Another reason Jeff Capel may not last long! ;)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Who will get a 5 star recruit first Pitt and Capel the #2 bagman in the country or UConn and Hurley.

Reaction Score
I'll bet Dan Hurley knows which it is.

... or a decent sense on what/where the possible program exposure(s) is headed. Guessing which is why he/agent asked for NCAA sanction impact language in his contract...

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He seemed pretty cool with staying from everything I’ve read and heard him say...so I was surprised he even interviewed. It’s a 3 hour drive to Pitt from UB but I don’t get the sense he’s trying to go anywhere.

Plus they are going to be really good next year. Sweet 16 material, with an elite 8 shot.

He'll make himself some money and open up options if and when he does become interested.

Reaction Score
Yup. He might have three by the end of the month.
I don't know if Penny can coach, but he's absolutely the right person to turn the recruiting around. Late-Pastner, recruits were worried about his job.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know if Penny can coach, but he's absolutely the right person to turn the recruiting around. Late-Pastner, recruits were worried about his job.

And given all their transfers, they need a talent injection more than anything.

@80shusky posted this NYP article about SJU and Hurley from 3 years ago

Dunno why I read it, but one line really stood out "[St John's] needs an architect every bit as much as a basketball coach."

That's what we needed too.

Reaction Score
Dunno why I read it, but one line really stood out "[St John's] needs an architect every bit as much as a basketball coach."

That's what we needed too.
People underestimate the General Manager requirements of a college head coach. Identifying, acquiring and developing talent are IMO more important than Xs and Os at this level.

K, for example, is only an OK in-game coach, but he's a phenomenal GM. Same for Roy.

Larry Brown, on the other hand, is probably the greatest Xs and Os coach any of us have ever seen, but he can't keep a roster together for more than a season or two.

We're lucky that with the women's program, Geno's the best there's ever been at both aspects of the job.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
People underestimate the General Manager requirements of a college head coach. Identifying, acquiring and developing talent are IMO more important than Xs and Os at this level.

K, for example, is only an OK in-game coach, but he's a phenomenal GM. Same for Roy.

Larry Brown, on the other hand, is probably the greatest Xs and Os coach any of us have ever seen, but he can't keep a roster together for more than a season or two.

We're lucky that with the women's program, Geno's the best there's ever been at both aspects of the job.

Add squid and Self to the top group (just look at that list, it's great evidence that your hypothesis is accurate).

And the bottom statement is just unmistakably true. It will be amazing how much more parity magically shows up in the women's game when Geno steps down.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yep. I'm on record as saying I don't think we got the best in game or even tactical HC on the market. But he's good enough. And the total package is well worth the shot he's getting.

Also, DH has shown the ability and willingness to grow on the job, and I'm hoping he does in that area. That was one of KO's biggest failings. Too little too late.

Reaction Score
Pitt. Hurley will clean up between 25-75 and 5* will be scared by conference.
And five years from now NCAA will be opening an investigation into Pitts recruiting violations after BagMan has left to take the Duke job ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom