Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 186 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel so bad for everyone that went to bed not knowing it was a done deal. I wouldn't have been able to sleep
I was posting about going to sleep but couldn't stop posting, then the news came. Then I really couldn't sleep. Then I fell asleep and woke up from a dream screaming help (it was like the exercist, my screams scared my wife). Then i couldn't sleep again. Then i fell asleep and had another dream (can't share these details) . Then I woke up again for the day. Glad the thread kept me posting that I was able to be awake when the news broke.

Reaction Score
Just stopping in to say hi.

Glad this thread isn’t locked :)

EA6AAD47-8B2A-4378-A96B-635E1390C3F3.gif

Reaction Score
I will say though my one point of snark through all of this is that a lot of the pro-Ollie/hand-wringers were indescribably wrong.

-UConn fired one of their own
-UConn figured out the buy out
-UConn found the money for the new guy

And I'm glad they did. I'm not glad it all happened, I've never wanted that for Ollie; but what separates the really great programs from the ones that fizzle is sometimes a willingness to close the book on the era of the past and look forward. And there's a lot of reasons those programs can't do that - blind devotion to yesterday's heroes, immense Alumni pressure, etc. It was a pretty brave thing for ADB to do and he did a remarkable job in pulling this all off. We've been really spoiled being one of like - five programs in the US who haven't had to go through this kind of a thing in 30+ years, so it's unfamiliar territory for a lot of people... But this was a change that was needed. Just the general attitude now as opposed to a week ago is just something else.

It feels like the first "UConn" kind of day i've had since we won our last National Championship. And the more I get to 'know' this coach, the more excited I am. He seems utterly fantastic. Long ways to go, but if we head back in the right direction, today was a top-5 day/event/week in program history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"We think we have the facilities... And budget (to get to a Final Four)."

Well, then, I guess there was nothing else to offer coach Hurley.

Sure seems like they are going to try and bring someone else in (other than their current coach in waiting AHC David Cox), which would potentially open the door for some URI recruits/transfers to UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure seems like they are going to try and bring someone else in (other than their current coach in waiting AHC David Cox), which would potentially open the door for some URI recruits/transfers to UConn.

If that happens do you think Cox would come to UConn? I know nothing about the guy but sounds like a lot of good recruits are tied to him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Today's presser belongs on this thread.

Want to reinforce that our AD showed courage and wisdom in this.

I really like Dan Hurley the basketball coach. After watching that 5 minute video, I now really like the man.
UConn is in a good position!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pretty clear he *loved* being at URI and this was a truly difficult decision for him. Appreciate his honesty and loyalty - hopefully it doesn't kick in in that drive from Kingston to Storrs tomorrow.
What doesn't kick in? Contract's presumably been executed. UConn can't announce as official, if not that is the case. I don't think there is a 72 hour grace period, it would have been leaked. The press conference is merely a formality.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will say though my one point of snark through all of this is that a lot of the pro-Ollie/hand-wringers were indescribably wrong.

-UConn fired one of their own
-UConn figured out the buy out
-UConn found the money for the new guy

And I'm glad they did. I'm not glad it all happened, I've never wanted that for Ollie; but what separates the really great programs from the ones that fizzle is sometimes a willingness to close the book on the era of the past and look forward. And there's a lot of reasons those programs can't do that - blind devotion to yesterday's heroes, immense Alumni pressure, etc. It was a pretty brave thing for ADB to do and he did a remarkable job in pulling this all off. We've been really spoiled being one of like - five programs in the US who haven't had to go through this kind of a thing in 30+ years, so it's unfamiliar territory for a lot of people... But this was a change that was needed. Just the general attitude now as opposed to a week ago is just something else.

It feels like the first "UConn" kind of day i've had since we won our last National Championship. And the more I get to 'know' this coach, the more excited I am. He seems utterly fantastic. Long ways to go, but if we head back in the right direction, today was a top-5 day/event/week in program history.

UConn hardly ‘figured out the buyout’.

They may not or may not be successful with a transparent end around.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am curious to see the roster dominoes that fall now.

Some players would be better off moving on.

Some would be better off coming here than staying at URI.

But in this crazy transfer heavy culture, god knows who that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom