So, You Hit Megamillions for $1.6B | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So, You Hit Megamillions for $1.6B

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you pick lump sum you get just over 900M instead of 1.6 billion. So long term you receive more money from the actual lottery. But if you take the lump sum on day 1 the interest is accruing more greatly. In that same 30 years you would accrue 550 million dollars on the 600 million dollar post-tax amount just by having a 3% annual interest. If you can get to 6% interest you make over a billion in that same time span that you’re waiting for the lottery to finish paying out.
Of course that analysis assumes that you invest the lump sum but only consume the annuity payment.

Reaction Score
Of course that analysis assumes that you invest the lump sum but only consume the annuity payment.

Yes and no. You can obviously accrue interest on the annuity payments but if you somehow find a way to get an incredible ROI on day 1 it will always earn more with the lump sum amount. People that want that money over 30 years need to understand how much more money you could potentially earn by starting with a greater pot and having 30 years to get returns on it. That was my only point. It’ll take you like 16 years (even with interest only on the annuity) just to have as much money as a the lump sum people would have on day 1. I don’t even know if I’ll live that long haha

You gotta have money to make money, or so they tell me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly, right now I only have one ridiculous thing I want to do. I read about this yacht trip for a few weeks - it could be just me, or friends, or friends and family. The captain loads the yacht with food and booze and you sail through the Greek islands. But like obscure ones like Samothrace. This costs about $30K. I’m a simple person. Right now this is all I want. Oh, and a Rolex.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Honestly, right now I only have one ridiculous thing I want to do. I read about this yacht trip for a few weeks - it could be just me, or friends, or friends and family. The captain loads the yacht with food and booze and you sail through the Greek islands. But like obscure ones like Samothrace. This costs about $30K. I’m a simple person. Right now this is all I want. Oh, and a Rolex.
Just for perspective, you could take that trip every month for the next 30 years for less than 2% of the lump sum after taxes (or another perspective, the interest in the first year would more than cover 30 years of monthly cruises).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I kind of have a #HotTake but I think winning that amount of money would likely be more problematic than not.

I think even if you won it and donated 99.9% of it to charity and just wanted to live in comfort, a lot of people in your life would judge you and your relationships would never be the same. Let alone if you kept the money and didn't share the wealth to people's liking.

Reaction Score
I kind of have a #HotTake but I think winning that amount of money would likely be more problematic than not.

I think even if you won it and donated 99.9% of it to charity and just wanted to live in comfort, a lot of people in your life would judge you and your relationships would never be the same. Let alone if you kept the money and didn't share the wealth to people's liking.
Then you find new friends.

Reaction Score

Winning something like lucky for life is probably the best one to win. It's "only" 365,000/yr so while you'll never lack for comfort, you'd be able to manage the money yourself and wouldn't risk getting screwed by advisors. It's not an obscene amount of money that people would "expect" you to share.

Reaction Score
Ha. If I’m giving the UConn AD $250,000,000, they better have a damn good sales presentation. If they knew what they were doing several years back they wouldn’t need the money.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Winning something like lucky for life is probably the best one to win. It's "only" 365,000/yr so while you'll never lack for comfort, you'd be able to manage the money yourself and wouldn't risk getting screwed by advisors. It's not an obscene amount of money that people would "expect" you to share.
Winning the $7500 a month for life “win for life” is my dream. I’d probably keep working but look for a less stressful job. It’s an extra $5000 or so post-tax a month to enhance your quality of life and you don’t really have to save for retirement. IMO that’d be the way to do it

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Winning the $7500 a month for life “win for life” is my dream. I’d probably keep working but look for a less stressful job. It’s an extra $5000 or so post-tax a month to enhance your quality of life and you don’t really have to save for retirement. IMO that’d be the way to do it
That scratch off is my guilty pleasure.

Reaction Score
i would set up a slush account for recruits, but other than that, i would not give the AD shart.

Reaction Score
After taking care of the lawyer stuff (gotta go with a trust on an amount like this) and family and friends, my next order of business would be to buy The Boneyard domain from Tom. Make him a handsomely paid manager of the site with a full staff and beef this place up with some cool features. Maybe get rid of the bare-chested hoodie and Russian bride ads. Then I'd buy out Syracusefan.com and shut it down.

Reaction Score
Amongst other things you split it amongst managers and have outside accountants audit the managers.

At a certain point it becomes a circle jerk where they could all be fleecing you.

That's why when you sit down and sign the contracts you do the Goodfellas thing and take a picture of the manager's family from the office letting the manager you know that the manager knows you know who their family and where to find them.
Yeah but what good is a threat if they dont believe it? I wouldnt believe a threat from some middle aged white guy from the suburbs of CT lol!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah but what good is a threat if they dont believe it? I wouldnt believe a threat from some middle aged white guy from the suburbs of CT lol!

Need to take out a second or third cousin through marriage and mail the finger to the managers.

Thank goodness I don't fit the profile listed.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

I buy at least three of these every pay day

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom