So...Where Does UConn End Up On The AP Today? (poll) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So...Where Does UConn End Up On The AP Today? (poll)

?In what place do we land today

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
3 wins since last poll... and no movement...
Tough ranking crowd they have there..
As pointed out already, quite the log jam between 3-5..
Time will tell..

Reaction Score
3 wins since last poll... and no movement...
Tough ranking crowd they have there..
As pointed out already, quite the log jam between 3-5..
Time will tell..
I wouldn't say it all that tough .... they didn't jump in ranking but the point spread sure tightened up.

UConn is just 12 votes from the #2 ranking ...

The top 5 is clearly thought to be a class unto themselves with a 101 vote drop between 5th and 6th.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford is over ranked a spot or two, but Oregon is ranked higher in the Net than Villanova and Stanford beat Oregon by 8 and it was a last second desperation 3 that made it single digits.

It’s basically a 3 way tie for 3rd.

Massey says South Carolina only has a 53pct chance to beat UConn, so we will see how things look in 6 days and an hour.

Reaction Score
So (some of) the AP voters are practically the only people left who follow the sport who don't think Connecticut is one of the top four teams in the country. Massey, NET, Sonny Moore, NCAA Power rankings, and Voepel's ESPN Power rankings all have Connecticut 2nd behind South Carolina. Creme has them top-4, last week's coaches poll (before the latest two wins) had them 4th, and RPI has them 1st.

The distribution of votes is odd, though: at least one voter has someone unexpected in the top 5 (there are 7 points worth of votes unaccounted for in the 2 through 5 group). If everybody voted the same way, the 2nd place team would have 672, 3rd 644, etc., so none of the four teams even has enough votes to be 3rd (they're almost in a four-way tie for 2/3/4/5). There are even more votes unaccounted for (57) when you look at the top seven. If I had to guess, some voter inexplicably dropped Ohio State only a couple of spots despite three straight losses (each of Connecticut's two losses dropped them three spots).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1675105129186.png

Let It Go Whatever GIF by Hannah Bronfman

Reaction Score
Jeez! Texas back in the Top 25!? SMH
That actually helps Connecticut's resume a bit. And Texas is tied for 1st with ranked Iowa State in the Big Twelve, ahead of ranked Oklahoma, so it's reasonable that they're now ranked too, even after a disastrous early run in non-conference play.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s time for a new poll: can you hold your nose and root for the Volunteers to beat LSU?
I definitely can do both (hold my nose and root for Tennessee against LSU). If they win, that should get LSU out of the top five and get Tennessee ranked again, both of which could help Connecticut in seeding.

Reaction Score
As I thought.

Because we struggled with Nova, Indiana jumped past us.
LSU won at home by 3 points against unranked Arkansas, and they jumped a spot. Two of Iowa's latest three wins (both against unranked teams; Iowa jumped four) were by fewer points than Connecticut's over Villanova, as were recent victories by Stanford (also vs. an unranked) and Utah.

Why should Connecticut be the only team hurt by close wins?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Can’t for the life of me figure out how Indiana jumps over UConn in AP poll. 2 common opponents, Tennessee and Butler. Indiana beat UT in Knoxville by 12 early in the year when UT was struggling mightily and beat Butler at home by 17. UConn soundly defeated UT in Knoxville and absolutely thrashed Butler not once, but twice. UConn’s losses were on the road against 2 top 10 teams minus Juhasz & Fudd, while Indiana’s loss was to unranked Michigan State. Not that it really matters but AP certainly is not enhancing they’re credibility.

Reaction Score
Can’t for the life of me figure out how Indiana jumps over UConn in AP poll. 2 common opponents, Tennessee and Butler. Indiana beat UT in Knoxville by 12 early in the year when UT was struggling mightily and beat Butler at home by 17. UConn soundly defeated UT in Knoxville and absolutely thrashed Butler not once, but twice. UConn’s losses were on the road against 2 top 10 teams minus Juhasz & Fudd, while Indiana’s loss was to unranked Michigan State. Not that it really matters but AP certainly is not enhancing they’re credibility.
And down Nika for Maryland!

Reaction Score
It’s comical at this point…We’ll lose to SC this weekend, but will not lose before the NCAA tournament. Then we’ll somehow end up in the same regional as SC

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
5 is where I had them in my boneyard poll so that tracks. Actually my top 5 is almost right on. I gave credit to Indiana for beating 2 top 10 teams.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As people have noted, #2-#5 is basically a tie. The one who stands out to me is LSU though, not Indiana. Yes, LSU is undefeated, but have beaten almost no one.

Indiana has wins over Maryland (8), Ohio St (10), UNC (11), Michigan (18), Illinois (26) and TN (28). Their one loss was on road to Michigan St without Grace Berger. They deserve a top 4 ranking.

Reaction Score
It’s comical at this point…We’ll lose to SC this weekend, but will not lose before the NCAA tournament. Then we’ll somehow end up in the same regional as SC
I haven't paid that close attention to how the committee come by rankings for tournament seeding but I think it is NCAA's NET rankings that carry the weight. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

In the NET ranking UConn is ranked 2nd

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But ESPN has us as the Team of the Week, which is nice recognition for how hard this team has worked.
Yeah but.......that's like distracting us with your right hand while you're picking our pocket with your left hand. :eek:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Big game tonight: Tennessee at #3 ranked LSU 7:00 ESPN2

Reaction Score
LSU won at home by 3 points against unranked Arkansas, and they jumped a spot. Two of Iowa's latest three wins (both against unranked teams; Iowa jumped four) were by fewer points than Connecticut's over Villanova, as were recent victories by Stanford (also vs. an unranked) and Utah.

Why should Connecticut be the only team hurt by close wins?
I’m not sure Connecticut is “hurt” by close wins. I’m not a conspiracy theory guy, but it’s more likely that some voters have an anti-UConn bias.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom