So when does our football program kill our basketball program? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So when does our football program kill our basketball program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I ask this as somebody who doesn't follow the UConn football program that closely, so don't kill me, but, is there any chance Edsall gets the boot at Maryland this season and UConn re-hires him?

Reaction Score
I ask this as somebody who doesn't follow the UConn football program that closely, so don't kill me, but, is there any chance Edsall gets the boot at Maryland this season and UConn re-hires him?

Hopefully that won't happen

Reaction Score
Playoff Contenders:
Alabama 13-0 (Champ)
LSU 12-1
Ohio State 12-1 (Champ)
Florida St. 12-1 (Champ)
USC 12-1 (Champ)

Out of the Running:
Texas 11-1
Michigan 12-1
Oregon 12-1
Notre Dame 11-1

Again, of course its possible, but extremely unlikely. In that scenario, a one loss texas team would still prob get the nod over a 1 loss lsu team, assuming texas lost in the championship and lsu couldnt even win the division. Could you come up with unique circumstances for a 1 loss oklahoma or texas getting shut out, of course you could. Its still my opinion that its less likely to occur than the big 12 initiating expansion. The only way the big 12 expands is if it feels threatened by further moves. I am pretty sure its their belief that a one loss texas team will still find its way in to the playoff.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes to first possibility. No to second.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What does Edsall's performance at Maryland have to do with UConn?

Edsal and his last five years seem to be the standard by which PP is measured by many here. Edsal had a nice little stretch, but that's it. The idea he made UCONN football relevant is ridiculous. He was a good coach, who was given a dozen years, and ended on a high note. He took over a school with a similar record, and has done worse than PP in the past two years.

PP deserved the same chance given to Edsal. Give him a couple years where the majority of his players are his own recruits. PP deserves this year at the very least.

Reaction Score
Again, of course its possible, but extremely unlikely. In that scenario, a one loss texas team would still prob get the nod over a 1 loss lsu team, assuming texas lost in the championship and lsu couldnt even win the division. Could you come up with unique circumstances for a 1 loss oklahoma or texas getting shut out, of course you could. Its still my opinion that its less likely to occur than the big 12 initiating expansion. The only way the big 12 expands is if it feels threatened by further moves. I am pretty sure its their belief that a one loss texas team will still find its way in to the playoff.

There is no championship for Texas to lose. That's why they're hampered. That's really the whole point of what I'm saying. The other teams will have played a championship game. Texas is not in a conference with a championship.

Reaction Score
There is no championship for Texas to lose. That's why they're hampered. That's really the whole point of what I'm saying. The other teams will have played a championship game. Texas is not in a conference with a championship.

Right, that was my mistake. I still think a one loss Texas/Ok team gets in over a 1 loss sec team unless both alabama and georgia or florida go into the championship game undefeated.

Reaction Score
Right, that was my mistake. I still think a one loss Texas/Ok team gets in over a 1 loss sec team unless both alabama and georgia or florida go into the championship game undefeated.

That was the scenario. Two undefeated SEC teams go to the championship game, both get in ahead of 1 loss Texas. It would only be fair.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Edsal and his last five years seem to be the standard by which PP is measured by many here. Edsal had a nice little stretch, but that's it. The idea he made UCONN football relevant is ridiculous. He was a good coach, who was given a dozen years, and ended on a high note. He took over a school with a similar record, and has done worse than PP in the past two years.

PP deserved the same chance given to Edsal. Give him a couple years where the majority of his players are his own recruits. PP deserves this year at the very least.

UConn did not fired Edsall in favor of "Coach" Pasqualoni. He left on his own accord. So comparing and pining after Edsall as if UConn should not have dumped him in the first place is a fool's errand. Secondly, Edsall had different challenges and much different expectations at the beginning of his tenure than "Coach" Pasqualoni, So comparing the two coaches' tenures at this point at UConn as well at their respective current schools is also ridiculous.

The standard to which "Coach" Pasqualoni is held has to do with the product on the field and the results thereof, not necessarily in comparison to Randy Edsall. My untrained eye tells me that "Coach" Pasqualoni's system employs a rigid, complicated-at-times system that is a failing formula in the current FBS football era. My one and only comparison to Randy Edsall is that while his system was not always aesthetically pleasing, it was effective for the most part, especially at home. The latter certainly cannot be said for "Coach" Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score

A 1-loss OSU team says hi.

Reaction Score
UConn, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina. What do they all have in common? Football will never affect our basketball wins. May change the conference, but that's it.

Indiana has a god awful football team and has for decades.

Reaction Score
Indiana has a god awful football team and has for decades.
True, but Indiana is in the Big 10, has been for decades. They, and Kentucky and North Carolina, even Syracuse now, can get away with having crappy football. Not so sure UConn, being on the outside looking in, has the same flexibility. Furthermore, why would we want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom