So when does our football program kill our basketball program? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So when does our football program kill our basketball program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But KO is coaching with a relatively modest contract. How long can the University support Geno and KO when the monies run out from the break up of the BE? That is the worst case scenario of not being in a conference getting 2o million and up vs. the 1-2 million the AAC gets. It's shortsighted not to understand this parameter.

1) The monies don't dry up for some time, and if he's worth it, UConn will find a way to pay Coach Ollie.
2) How much longer do you think Coach Auriemma is going to continue? Don't let his Grecian formula fool you. he's coming up on mandatory 401(k) withdrawal age.
3) Success brings additional cash flow.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
1) The monies don't dry up for some time, and if he's worth it, UConn will find a way to pay Coach Ollie.
2) How much longer do you think Coach Auriemma is going to continue? Don't let his Grecian formula fool you. he's coming up on mandatory 401(k) withdrawal age.
3) Success brings additional cash flow.
Four years before the NCAA credit monies and the conference breakup penalties dry up.
No argument that success brings monies but before the BE breakup the net revenues were neutral for the athletic department. And that was while there was some doubt the football program was a train wreck. Since the BE breakup there was a reduction in the media dollars contributing to those revenues. If it weren't for those BE monies UConn athletics would be running in the red. So where do you see the revenues coming from to take the pressure off the athletic department. I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
Isn't the reason we were left out of the major conferences was because of our of football team? So to a certain extent the basketball programs have been hurt already. Had we had a stronger football program, or one that is very respected we would not have been left out of conference realignment. I'm sure most conferences wanted our boys and girls basketball team but football drives the dollars and is therefore the deciding factor.

It's hard to say though given the schools that got in: Cuse and Pitt were not better in football.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I understand your concern, but this is a fluid situation. "Coach" Pasqualoni will not be here if what we just experienced continues. The correct hire infuses life into the program quick than "Coach" Pasqualoni drained it. Also, if conference reallignment is not over (and I believe it is not), then UConn's market will be recognized as at least a suppliment to Rutgers in the NYC DMA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We all knew this year would be bad for football. We didn't expect them to lose to Towson, but we all knew it would be almost as bad as this.

Anyone who was expecting more after losing 5 NFL draft picks was touched in the head. Manuel is operating under the Can't-Fire-a-Coach in 2 years rule, and before he's blasted for that, the Hero Tom Jurich did the same with Kragthorpe. Manuel will be judged by the coach he hires this coming January.
This.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
UCONN football sucks and will continue to suck but who cares? The SEC is the strongest football conference I can remember in my 52 years, and even led by a power program in Kentucky, it isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse.

Reaction Score
UConn is a Basketball and Soccer school. The football program blows. I can't see that changing anytime soon. Nonetheless, basketball will flourish under KO. He is exactly what we need for the long term.

Reaction Score
The Pasqualoni hire was right up there with the Bobby Vamentine hire. Everyone knew these were bad hires except the people hiring them. Just an awful, ill fated plan from the outset.

Reaction Score
The Pasqualoni hire was right up there with the Bobby Vamentine hire. Everyone knew these were bad hires except the people hiring them. Just an awful, ill fated plan from the outset.

Hmmm, interesting parallel. Who is coaching U. Toronto these days?

Reaction Score
Funny because last year i mentioned our poor football program was a big part of why we werent invited to the acc or big 10 and i got ripped for it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I understand your concern, but this is a fluid situation. "Coach" Pasqualoni will not be here if what we just experienced continues. The correct hire infuses life into the program quick than "Coach" Pasqualoni drained it. Also, if conference reallignment is not over (and I believe it is not), then UConn's market will be recognized as at least a suppliment to Rutgers in the NYC DMA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

How's Edsal doing in Maryland?

Husky25

Reaction Score
How's Edsal doing in Maryland?

What does Edsall's performance at Maryland have to do with UConn?

Reaction Score
Funny because last year i mentioned our poor football program was a big part of why we werent invited to the acc or big 10 and i got ripped for it.

A program is more than 1 or 2 years of results. If this weren't true, Cuse and Pitt would never have been invited. On the other hand, if it isn't true, we know why Ville was invited.

Reaction Score
A program is more than 1 or 2 years of results. If this weren't true, Cuse and Pitt would never have been invited. On the other hand, if it isn't true, we know why Ville was invited.
in other words, either our hoops pedigree will take us to the promise land or the entire athletic program died last thursday night. only time will tell. seriously, i doubt immediate on field performance has that much of an influence but we will all look back on the loss to towson if cincy joins the power 5 and we are left behind.

Reaction Score
in other words, either our hoops pedigree will take us to the promise land or the entire athletic program died last thursday night. only time will tell. seriously, i doubt immediate on field performance has that much of an influence but we will all look back on the loss to towson if cincy joins the power 5 and we are left behind.

Agreed, if Cincy joins the ACC...

But, don't be surprised if Cincy joins the B12. That conference is not looking to send Texas teams to Hartford any time soon. It's too much. UConn is 2x as far from Ames, Iowa as Cincy is.

Reaction Score
i have my doubts that the big 12 will expand while the rest of the landscape remains static. they will add cincy as a reaction to further movement.

Reaction Score
i have my doubts that the big 12 will expand while the rest of the landscape remains static. they will add cincy as a reaction to further movement.

The B12 might expand quickly when its 1 loss champ gets frozen out in favor of a 1 loss championship game winner.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has proven it will never be proactive and solely reactive.

Reaction Score
With the right coaches, men's and women's bb could survive in the AAC and on the national level. They could survive any weakness in UConn's football program. But the monies that the major conferences are getting from media deals is very beneficial to the various universities within those conferences. Down the road athletic programs may have to be culled because of expenses at various universities. I don't want to see UConn facing this dilemma. Furthermore UConn may not be able to afford to pay the salaries for decent bb coaches. And then those programs would spiral downhill.
It will be much harder over time to have the same level of success we're accustomed to from the AAC. It will be more difficult to recruit. It will be more difficult to schedule, and it will be harder to get high seeds. We'll be struggling to get the money to run high level programs, too. Even to keep a guy like Ollie if he does indeed turn out to be a top flight coach. When Indiana with its $30 million in tv revenue and NC State with its $20 come calling, we have $2 million to fall back on. Nobody will say it, but it will make a difference.

Reaction Score
It will be much harder over time to have the same level of success we're accustomed to from the AAC. It will be more difficult to recruit. It will be more difficult to schedule, and it will be harder to get high seeds. We'll be struggling to get the money to run high level programs, too. Even to keep a guy like Ollie if he does indeed turn out to be a top flight coach. When Indiana with its $30 million in tv revenue and NC State with its $20 come calling, we have $2 million to fall back on. Nobody will say it, but it will make a difference.

Who the heck would want to give Ollie $4 million a year when Shaka Smart is available?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought that is what I wrote! I guess that makes me a somebody cause nobody would say it and since I said it I must not be a nobody.:)

Reaction Score
That's what I'm saying. Reactive. Once it gets frozen out, it will react.

It would be an extreme circumstance for a current 1 loss big 12 champion to get shut out. If that were to occur, then all 1 loss teams will be shut out and I guess you can argue its well deserved. Still, I contend that the next, first pawn to be moved in future realignment won't be from the big 12. Currently, its more likely a team will leave the big 12, than join.

Reaction Score
It would be an extreme circumstance for a current 1 loss big 12 champion to get shut out. If that were to occur, then all 1 loss teams will be shut out and I guess you can argue its well deserved. Still, I contend that the next, first pawn to be moved in future realignment won't be from the big 12. Currently, its more likely a team will leave the big 12, than join.

Playoff Contenders:
Alabama 13-0 (Champ)
LSU 12-1
Ohio State 12-1 (Champ)
Florida St. 12-1 (Champ)
USC 12-1 (Champ)

Out of the Running:
Texas 11-1
Michigan 12-1
Oregon 12-1
Notre Dame 11-1

Status