So when does our football program kill our basketball program? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So when does our football program kill our basketball program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And you think that will "kill" our basketball program? We have alums from Ray Allen to Kemba Walker. Brand new $60million practice facility. KO as our head coach. We can play in the horizon league and still draw in 5 star recruits to lead us to final fours. Look at SMU recently drawing in Mudiay. Look at VCU and Butler making final fours. Real conferences? With Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, now SMU, that seems pretty real to me. This year there could be 4 top 25 teams all year from the AAC.

Think before you type.
With the right coaches, men's and women's bb could survive in the AAC and on the national level. They could survive any weakness in UConn's football program. But the monies that the major conferences are getting from media deals is very beneficial to the various universities within those conferences. Down the road athletic programs may have to be culled because of expenses at various universities. I don't want to see UConn facing this dilemma. Furthermore UConn may not be able to afford to pay the salaries for decent bb coaches. And then those programs would spiral downhill.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
And you think that will "kill" our basketball program? We have alums from Ray Allen to Kemba Walker. Brand new $60million practice facility. KO as our head coach. We can play in the horizon league and still draw in 5 star recruits to lead us to final fours. Look at SMU recently drawing in Mudiay. Look at VCU and Butler making final fours. Real conferences? With Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, now SMU, that seems pretty real to me. This year there could be 4 top 25 teams all year from the AAC.

Think before you type.
Sorry I've had a lot of Jameson and have spent way too much time on the FBall forum tonight. I'm being really reactionary right now

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread titled "we must be proactive"(that disappeared) but finding PP a good realtor is the best move. And to show him there are no hard feelings we can help him pack.

All kidding around aside Coach P was handed a program coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance and has driven it into the ground.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread titled "we must be proactive"(that disappeared) but finding PP a good realtor is the best move. And to show him there are no hard feelings we can help him pack.

All kidding around aside Coach P was handed a program coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance and has driven it into the ground.

Not to mention TOP NOTCH facilities, and we were outworked in pretty much every facet of the game last night

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Driven it into the ground, doused it in high quality petrol, and set it on fire.

Reaction Score
Driven it into the ground, doused it in high quality petrol, and set it on fire.

We all knew this year would be bad for football. We didn't expect them to lose to Towson, but we all knew it would be almost as bad as this.

Anyone who was expecting more after losing 5 NFL draft picks was touched in the head. Manuel is operating under the Can't-Fire-a-Coach in 2 years rule, and before he's blasted for that, the Hero Tom Jurich did the same with Kragthorpe. Manuel will be judged by the coach he hires this coming January.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We all knew this year would be bad for football. We didn't expect them to lose to Towson, but we all knew it would be almost as bad as this.

Anyone who was expecting more after losing 5 NFL draft picks was touched in the head. Manuel is operating under the Can't-Fire-a-Coach in 2 years rule, and before he's blasted for that, the Hero Tom Jurich did the same with Kragthorpe. Manuel will be judged by the coach he hires this coming January.
And some people on the football board expect a double digit win season. It's mind blowing. Like when our basketball team sucks, we know we have at least a good chance of getting to the post-season. Look at 2009-2010 we went to the NIT and we were garbage.

The football team is on a whole different level of garbage though.

Reaction Score

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but this is staggering to see in print. How the hell can we go 5-7 in the Big East with five NFL picks on the squad?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I prefer to think of it as when does our basketball program save our football program. After winning a couple more bball titles, one of the bigs will take us for that and the football program will have no choice but to get better despite itself.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
MikeSol makes a good point. I can't see where a horrible football team affects our hoops team that much. People will say, and rightfully so, that the lack of upward movement in football is a large reason why we are in the AAC. And in the long run, I think it's a bad situation for the university. But Geno and Kevin are terrific coaches and they will continue to make the hoops teams relevant for as long as they remain.

Coach P was a Syracuse retread, and the guy looks about 80 years old. Not a great resume, not a young and dynamic coach or personality, and really, just a has-been. Maybe the Towson HC would be available after they fire PP...

Reaction Score
I was in the stadium last night. I have no words. It doesn't get much worse. To people who went though, who else LOL'd at the dude at half time making that kick that the kicker from Towson just missed? lol. A guy next to me screamed "Townson needs to recruit him"

Reaction Score
MikeSol makes a good point. I can't see where a horrible football team affects our hoops team that much. People will say, and rightfully so, that the lack of upward movement in football is a large reason why we are in the AAC. And in the long run, I think it's a bad situation for the university. But Geno and Kevin are terrific coaches and they will continue to make the hoops teams relevant for as long as they remain.

Coach P was a Syracuse retread, and the guy looks about 80 years old. Not a great resume, not a young and dynamic coach or personality, and really, just a has-been. Maybe the Towson HC would be available after they fire PP...

The Towson HC was the UConn OC and we rode him out on a rail because of his woefully boring offenses. And rightfully so.

Put that in perspective: that's who beat Pasqualoni last night

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

Ambrose was our OC when Randy was here

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The football program won't kill the basketball program.

But not because of a lack of trying.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see some of those posts denigrating Louisville football relative to UConn, back when the ACC decision was made. Louisville, who plays the same boring, uninspired schedule of middling palookas but is somehow ranked #9 in the country and features a Heisman trophy candidate and future top 5 NFL draft pick at QB.

Freaking Towson.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see some of those posts denigrating Louisville football relative to UConn, back when the ACC decision was made. Louisville, who plays the same boring, uninspired schedule of middling palookas but is somehow ranked #9 in the country and features a Heisman trophy candidate and future top 5 NFL draft pick at QB.

Freaking Towson.

What exactly is your point?

You do realize that Pasqualoni somehow beat that future top 5 NFL QB last year, no?

Reaction Score
Isn't the reason we were left out of the major conferences was because of our of football team? So to a certain extent the basketball programs have been hurt already. Had we had a stronger football program, or one that is very respected we would not have been left out of conference realignment. I'm sure most conferences wanted our boys and girls basketball team but football drives the dollars and is therefore the deciding factor.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Isn't the reason we were left out of the major conferences was because of our of football team? So to a certain extent the basketball programs have been hurt already. Had we had a stronger football program, or one that is very respected we would not have been left out of conference realignment. I'm sure most conferences wanted our boys and girls basketball team but football drives the dollars and is therefore the deciding factor.

There are no power conferences in basketball. The "powerful" SEC routinely draws 2-3 at large bids per year, which happens to be the same number as the Atlantic 10.

Basketball has not been hurt yet and will not be hurt as long as Kevin Ollie gets kids into the NBA.

Reaction Score
What exactly is your point?

It was an observation, professor. If you want me to articulate a point: I get tired of the Uconn supporters who will bend over backwards to avoid acknowledging that UConn is not the very best in literally everything. You being chief among them, I suppose. There was a lot of indignation around here over Louisville's selection, and meanwhile the UConn football program defines the word moribund. Go ahead, let's hear another explanation as to how a loss to Western Michigan is really a net positive.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are no power conferences in basketball. The "powerful" SEC routinely draws 2-3 at large bids per year, which happens to be the same number as the Atlantic 10.

Basketball has not been hurt yet and will not be hurt as long as Kevin Ollie gets kids into the NBA.
But KO is coaching with a relatively modest contract. How long can the University support Geno and KO when the monies run out from the break up of the BE? That is the worst case scenario of not being in a conference getting 2o million and up vs. the 1-2 million the AAC gets. It's shortsighted not to understand this parameter.

Reaction Score
It was an observation, professor. If you want me to articulate a point: I get tired of the Uconn supporters who will bend over backwards to avoid acknowledging that UConn is not the very best in literally everything. You being chief among them, I suppose. There was a lot of indignation around here over Louisville's selection, and meanwhile the UConn football program defines the word moribund. Go ahead, let's hear another explanation as to how a loss to Western Michigan is really a net positive.

A bunch of hot air.

I have no illusions about UConn football. Never stated anything otherwise. Find it, wiseguy.

The thing I don't like to do is ignore reality. As UConn was passed over for Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt, I did not that Uconn had a .500 record against Louisville, even beat Louisville in Ville's best season ever. Losing to W Michigan and Towson is pathetic. So what's the excuse for skirting by bad schools and losing to UConn in its worst year? Cuse was 1-7 against UConn and got blown out by 3 scores or more 3 times. Pitt also had a 3-5 record.

Why is it wrong to point out that Uconn is a less than mediocre football school that more than held its own against football teams picked over it?

Explain that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And what separates them from us? They're already in real conferences. Think before you type.

That doesn't matter. The basketball programs at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina have produced a plethora of NBA talent. If Kevin Ollie can continue Jim Calhoun's legacy of NBA contributor developer, UConn will not lose relevance basketball-wise. Conferences don't matter as much in basketball. Every conference, regardless of size has at least one seat at the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom