So what's next? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on the number of hoodies and caps walking around the streets, I am now extremely optimistic on the outcome of Monday's presser...B12 here we come!!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
And... we are back to the "Apparel I See" argument.

I enjoy this one because I envision BC and Syracuse fans, as their free-time hobby, sitting on park benches as life goes on around them counting the number of UConn-apparel-wearing passersby.

Reaction Score
I split my time between Greenwich and the city. I see UConn tshirts, hats, and sweatshirts daily: on the train, walking around the city or the parks in Greenwich, UConn stuff is everywhere. I'd say more people are walking around Manhattan wearing national flag blue than scarlet. And people love going to the games when they have them in Bridgeport which is the state's biggest city and also in Fairfield County and NYC's TV market. You can also find UConn basketball playing a game every year somewhere in or around NYC and even the women's basketball team gets a ton of coverage in NYC's TV market thanks to SNY. Sorry, whoever says UConn doesn't rate in NYC is blind or just doesn't live here.

Reaction Score
I split my time between Greenwich and the city. I see UConn tshirts, hats, and sweatshirts daily: on the train, walking around the city or the parks in Greenwich, UConn stuff is everywhere. I'd say more people are walking around Manhattan wearing national flag blue than scarlet. And people love going to the games when they have them in Bridgeport which is the state's biggest city and also in Fairfield County and NYC's TV market. You can also find UConn basketball playing a game every year somewhere in or around NYC and even the women's basketball team gets a ton of coverage in NYC's TV market thanks to SNY. Sorry, whoever says UConn doesn't rate in NYC is blind or just doesn't live here.
I agree 100%...@EastCoast2 is a turd Cuse fan troll.

Reaction Score
I envision BC and Syracuse fans, as their free-time hobby, sitting on park benches as life goes on around them counting the number of UConn-apparel-wearing passersby.
Not just counting, but also seething and boiling with anger that no matter what conference their school is in or how many cable boxes are in their county, their athletic teams still suck and don't hold a candle to UConn's success despite their schools having been trying really really hard for the better of a century while we're still the relatively new kids on the block.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I lived and worked in the Danbury to Westport area and it was all UConn.

If you look at the college fan maps by zip code, UConn dominates everything between NYC and Boston. UConn's presence there is far, far stronger than Rutgers' presence on its home turf between NYC and Philly.

Lived in the Danbury area for almost 40 years. You better believe its UConn Country. Anybody who say it isn't is clueless.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My son, a 27 year old BC alum, lives and works in NYC. He's at the gym daily. He has said many times that, perhaps with exception of NYU, he sees more apparel for UConn than for any other university. The same is true on the streets. So take heart.

And I see UConn stuff in the Boston suburbs all the time. More than BC or UMass, probably because UConn fans actually have something to be proud of. In the city, it's a mish-mash, because you're seeing current, active students wearing Harvard, BU, Tufts, whatever.

Reaction Score
Sorry but UConn only became relevant with the creation of the Big East, which was a cozy northeast power conference, which perfectly fit the cozy state of CT. We're now trying to play with the big boys, when we're still a postage stamp market. Rutgers is awful and may always be that way, but they pull in a much larger market than we will ever will.

Sorry, again, but I lived in MA and they could care less about UConn, same with Fairfield County. UConn is really just a Hartford thing and the P5 knows it.

Bash away....

Awww, little Dibbie, you're so cute.

little-debbie-downer.jpg

Reaction Score
I guess you see what you want to see... Saying you or your son or your spouse sees UConn hats on the subway or in the public restroom a few times a week doesn't make it 'UConn Country'. Ask any non UConn fan in Boston if it is UConn country and they'll laugh. Same with NYC. They are both pro sports towns so this is a meaningless argument to claim Boston and NYC as your home turf. If you went to UConn, or are from the Hartford area, most of the people you know are UConn fans, so your perspective is skewed. What about the other 99.99% of people that walk by you in your UConn sweatshirt and say nothing? Or the other 49 people on your subway car that barely know what UConn is?

Reaction Score
I agree 100%...@EastCoast2 is a turd Cuse fan troll.
Not sure this is the definition of 'trolling'. Most of my comments here are about the greater college basketball landscape and NYC/Boston generalities. Every now and then I chime in when Syracuse is mentioned to offer my opinion. And my comments about UConn gear in the Northeast was simply my opinion, which is the main point of this message board. I said that knowing 99% of you would disagree, but I digress. Looking forward to 12/5.

Reaction Score
Not sure this is the definition of 'trolling'. Most of my comments here are about the greater college basketball landscape and NYC/Boston generalities. Every now and then I chime in when Syracuse is mentioned to offer my opinion. And my comments about UConn gear in the Northeast was simply my opinion, which is the main point of this message board. I said that knowing 99% of you would disagree, but I digress. Looking forward to 12/5.

troll - make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

pro·voc·a·tive- causing annoyance, anger, or another strong reaction, especially deliberately.​

04.jpg

Reaction Score
troll - make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

pro·voc·a·tive- causing annoyance, anger, or another strong reaction, especially deliberately.​

View attachment 16175
It's on you if you get upset or angry.

Show me on this map, a zip code within 50 miles of Boston, where UConn is a top 3 college team. Now do the same within 25 miles of NYC.
College Football Fan Map

Reaction Score
Syracuse has upstate NY. Big whoop. Some of those people don't even know Colgate University exists.

Syracuse the #1 team in Harlem? Yeah, right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My son, a 27 year old BC alum, lives and works in NYC. He's at the gym daily. He has said many times that, perhaps with exception of NYU, he sees more apparel for UConn than for any other university.

Man, if true ( and I would have no reason to doubt you ), things sure have changed in NYC for the BE teams. When I was going back and forth to NYC not that long ago, I'd see lots of St. Johns, ' Nova, ND, gear there ( especially, St. Johns ) in the college realm.. more than for " NYU ", for certain... so its definately changed there, and it appears the BE has lost favor in the Big Apple re. St. Johns, 'Nova, etc. Heck, I used to see even lots of Georgetown Hoyas gear everywhere in NYC, and FAR more than " NYU " gear as well too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Man, if true ( and I would have no reason to doubt you ), things sure have changed in NYC for the BE teams. When I was going back and forth to NYC not that long ago, I'd see lots of St. Johns, ' Nova, ND, gear there ( especially, St. Johns ) in the college realm.. more than for " NYU ", for certain... so its definately changed there, and it appears the BE has lost favor in the Big Apple re. St. Johns, 'Nova. Heck, I used to see even lots of Georgetown Hoyas gear everywhere in NYC, and FAR more than " NYU " gear as well too.

SJU is dead. Nova has successful alums, like ND, and they have a presence, be it small. BC has a small but respectable presence there too.

The thing UConn has going for it is that all girl basketball players love UConn and UConn has had great men's players from NYC do big things in the NCAA tourney. Think about it, four NCAA titles in 17 years and 5 Final Fours. Basically a title every 4 years and a Final Four every 3. Of those teams, 3 had a starting guard from NYC (Taliek, Kemba, AJ). We also had Ben Gordon, Charlie Villeneuva and Omar Calhoun. We not only play NY kids but we win championships with them and that creates a big following over the years.

Reaction Score
And I see UConn stuff in the Boston suburbs all the time. More than BC or UMass,

I've lived and worked in Greater Boston for over 60 years before retiring. Boston is a Pro town, so as a result, the pro teams gears on people are seen probably 500 times more than college sports teams gear is seen in Greater Boston. There is FAR more Umass- Amherst, Umass- Lowell, Umass- Boston gear found on people in Greater Boston than either BC or Uconn ( for obvious reasons, of course.. location, location, location ). ND even has more gear to be found in Greater Boston than either BC or Uconn as well. Harvard gets its share too.. ( Cambridge so close to Boston ), and the Harvard Coop in Harvard Sq. carries lots of college gear ( does not carry Uconn gear however) and so as expected sells lots of Harvard gear to tourists, and so forth. Thus we'll always see far more Harvard U. gear in and around Greater Boston than for example, Uconn gear. But... bottom line,.. no college comes remotely close to Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Patriots gear seen in Greater Boston. The pros gear dwarfs any single college in the Boston's environs, and by the hundreds of thousands of more wearers too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every place is into pro sports when their teams are good. I recall being in ATL on business when the Falcons were good and also UGA was and all anyone cared about was the Falcons.

Both teams ended up sucking. This year the Falcons could be really good, strong start, and Quinn will develop D.

SJU is dead. Nova has successful alums, like ND, and they have a presence, be it small. BC has a small but respectable presence there too.

The thing UConn has going for it is that all girl basketball players love UConn and UConn has had great men's players from NYC do big things in the NCAA tourney. Think about it, four NCAA titles in 17 years and 5 Final Fours. Basically a title every 4 years and a Final Four every 3. Of those teams, 3 had a starting guard from NYC (Taliek, Kemba, AJ). We also had Ben Gordon, Charlie Villeneuva and Omar Calhoun. We not only play NY kids but we win championships with them and that creates a big following over the years.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Every place is into pro sports when their teams are good. I recall being in ATL on business when the Falcons were good and also UGA was and all anyone cared about was the Falcons.

Both teams ended up sucking. This year the Falcons could be really good, strong start, and Quinn will develop D.

The Midwest is a little different, at least Michigan and Ohio are. OSU will always trump both the Bengals and the Browns while Michigan and MSU will always be more popular than the Lions. Now, if the Lions ever win a Super Bowl, that may change. Then again, if the Lions ever win the Super Bowl, that means hell has frozen over or we are seeing the the apocalypse before our eyes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My point is, UConn is not even a top 5 college team in NYC.

From someone who lives in NYC: not true, and UC gets a ton more play than Syracuse. Sure, you may have a few preppy alums wearing SU windbreakers on the train, but that doesn't count for crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom