So what's next? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion momentum appears dead, and died because the Big 12 would rather have no schools than UConn. If the P5 league that is essentially on life support itself decided that it would rather do nothing than add UConn, the Huskies have their answer on whether they are a candidate for a P5 conference in the foreseeable future.

Doing nothing is a death sentence, so that is not an option. The athletic program can not financially support its current cost base with the revenue it is receiving. ESPN places almost no value on the AAC television content, so there is no point in continuing to sell it.

Trying to raid the MWC will likely be unsuccessful and wouldn't accomplish anything even if it happened. Putting San Diego State, BYU or Boise State in the AAC is just a version of moving deck chairs on the Titanic, and there is no reason for the western schools to do anything. I think the traditional conference structure does not bring a lot of value to UConn or many of the G5 schools.

That said, Boise and BYU's situation, with separate contracts from ESPN, shine a light into an alternative solution. It is evidence that for some G5 schools, and I would argue many of them, the value of the whole conference is significantly less than the sum of their individual parts. I would be surprised if almost every AAC school wouldn't be better off controlling its own content and selling it separately than they are selling their content as a group to ESPN. It could be argued that, at the very least, they don't have anything to lose by trying.

I also think the G5 schools should negotiate collectively with the networks for whatever national content they can produce. Finally, all the G5 conferences are a hodge podge of teams in overlapping geographies. It may make sense to consolidate scheduling within the conferences into a combination of Tiered and Regional scheduling. The top tier programs from the G5 should play each other more, but the schools should also not be locked into scheduling distant programs that have little rivalry value and are not marquee games for TV. You could even hold open dates at the end of the season to better match up the top tier G5 programs in marquee games.

I think the G5 schools should consolidate top tier content and negotiate collectively with TV for that content, while also leaving individual schools the ability to cut separate deals with local broadcasters. UConn has to come up with something if it wants to survive, and #begharder is not working.

Just saw this article from the Houston Chronicle stating that the AAC is going to ramp up the promotion of the P6. With so many teams from the AAC being named as possible B12 candidates coupled with past performance, I am hoping Mike Aresco's relationships and experience at ESPN and CBS Sports pays dividends.

Power Six? American Athletic Conference thinking big

Reaction Score
I jumped in this conversation when one poster said UConn has a larger TV market than Nebraska, WV, Kansas, Mississippi, etc.
Um that's because they do. But I guess you know more than Nielsen? UConn resides in the 30th largest TV market in the country. A TV market that doesn't even cover the entire state despite the state being one of the smallest in the country, but I'm sure there are no UConn fans beyond the borders of the TV market, right? Even though UConn has a branch campus just over the NY-CT state line a whopping 30 miles from Manhattan. But, nope, no UConn anything in Fairfield County because EastCoater says so!

List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia

You're welcome.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That postage stamp market you speak of is the 30th largest market in the country which means UConn's market is larger than most of the P5 schools' including the media markets that house Ohio State (#31), Texas (#39), and Alabama (#45) to name a few CFB name brands. In addition to its own media market, UConn has some penetration into the adjoining markets like NYC (#1), Boston (#8), and Providence (#52). UConn's market also covers some of the wealthiest in the nation. All in all there aren't too many flagship state universities, P5 or otherwise, that can offer the unique market that UConn does when you consider all of these factors.
... and that doesn't include FFC which accounts for another million people.... blah, blah, I've grown tired of doing remedial education for trolls. C'mon people at least bring your "A" game if you are going to come to the board

(Obviously, that wasn't aimed at you @HoopsFan21.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this proves. You have 150k fans in a 20m market? Is that your argument to the B10 and B12?
Lol, take a look at the 5.2% share and see if you can figure out the answer.

(idiot)

Reaction Score
If the Big XII doesn't expand, UConn's best remaining option is staying put due to neither the ACC or B1G expanding in the foreseeable future. This isn't going to be a death sentence to UCONN'S athletic department, it'll just be a little tight. We've all lived like that at one time. But when the Big XII inevitably implodes when Texas, Texas Tech, OU and OSU, UConn along with some other AAC members can combined with the lefts overs and be a pretty damn good conference. Better than the ACC at bare minimum
This is what I see happening if the B12 stands pat. What this will do, is allow UConn to get away from Tulsa, Tulane, and E. Carolina, which are the 3 schools in the AAC that scream "small time". When Texas and Oklahoma jump, a handful of B12 schools will get taken in. Possibly Kansas, and Ok St. That will leave 6 schools. Those 6 will join up with the 8 AAC schools that have some value (UConn, Temple, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and Cincy). That's a 14 team league that has quite a bit more heft than the AAC. If the other 4 P5 leagues tried to somehow demote them, there are enough schools there that have been at the top level, that demoting them would cause a big stink that will cause congress to stick it's nose in there, which is the very last thing the big football schools want. As a result, the playoff would be expanded to 8 teams, and the new league would have a seat at the table. Five conference champs, and three wild cards. There would be two divisions. UConn, Temple, Cincy, WVU, USF, UCF, and Memphis would be the eastern division, while the other 7 schools would be the west. Crossover play would be limited for non revenue sports, reducing travel. Baylor in the league would be a godsend for UConn women's hoops. The nBE sucks at women's hoops. Not the greatest solution, but would assure UConn a permanent seat at the big boy table.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It looks like it proves that UConn is a top 4 college athletic program in the NYC area.

And that's just football. For basketball it would be #1 or #2 at worst. Overall, top 3 easily. And for anyone like East Coast who says, basketball doesn't matter, that's nonsense. It's harder for the conferences to monetize, but I guarantee you that college basketball is more popular than college football in NYC. And NYC, due to sheer size, is the #2 college football market in the country according to Nate Silver.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only remotely positive thing about the disaster of the last 24 hours is that if UConn and the AAC/MWC schools do somehow come up with a way to better monetize their programs and their conference, there will be a day in about 7 years where we get to tell the leftover Big 12 schools to stuff it when Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas leave.

Reaction Score
The only remotely positive thing about the disaster of the last 24 hours is that if UConn and the AAC/MWC schools do somehow come up with a way to better monetize their programs and their conference, there will be a day in about 7 years where we get to tell the leftover Big 12 schools to stuff it when Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas leave.
Please stop with Kansas. They are not going anywhere UConn isn't. So much will happen by 2025. First, the B1g will not receive as much the next go around. Greed will set in and in no way will these schools split a smaller pot with a school who offers very little. Second, OU, will feel immense pressure from state government to not leave OSU behind and ultimately won't. What will happen? OSU and OU to Pac12. Texas most likely to ACC with an ND type deal. Kansas to the G5.

Reaction Score
And that's just football. For basketball it would be #1 or #2 at worst. Overall, top 3 easily. And for anyone like East Coast who says, basketball doesn't matter, that's nonsense. It's harder for the conferences to monetize, but I guarantee you that college basketball is more popular than college football in NYC. And NYC, due to sheer size, is the #2 college football market in the country according to Nate Silver.

People miss the reason why football drives the bus over basketball and it has nothing to do with each sport's revenue generation capability. The NCAA basketball tournament revenues goes to the NCAA and they use it to fund their operations, in particular, non-revenue sports championships, etc. Some of the revenues are given back to the schools and conferences. This contrasts with football in which the P5 conferences control all of the revenues from their bowls and college football playoffs.

Thus, basketball is less lucrative than football for the conferences in today's world. As the TV model changes, the revenue distribution model may change and basketball could become more important.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has upstate NY. Big whoop. Some of those people don't even know Colgate University exists.

Syracuse the #1 team in Harlem? Yeah, right.

They dont have upstate NY. If they did, that would be a huge feather in their cap. 7 million people live upstate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People miss the reason why football drives the bus over basketball and it has nothing to do with each sport's revenue generation capability. The NCAA basketball tournament revenues goes to the NCAA and they use it to fund their operations, in particular, non-revenue sports championships, etc. Some of the revenues are given back to the schools and conferences. This contrasts with football in which the P5 conferences control all of the revenues from their bowls and college football playoffs.

Thus, basketball is less lucrative than football for the conferences in today's world. As the TV model changes, the revenue distribution model may change and basketball could become more important.

Everyone here is well aware of the fact that football is monetized by the conferences to a much greater degree. Even considering that, basketball is vastly underrated in importance, especially by the fans of more football centric schools. And as for untapping markets in a network, it's just as important as football because it has more content. It's also just as important to brand recognition. The Kansas Jayhawk was ranked the most recognizable college logo nationwide. All the other sports become important to anyone with a network, including hockey, soccer, baseball and women's basketball when taken to the level that UConn has.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please stop with Kansas. They are not going anywhere UConn isn't. So much will happen by 2025. First, the B1g will not receive as much the next go around. Greed will set in and in no way will these schools split a smaller pot with a school who offers very little. Second, OU, will feel immense pressure from state government to not leave OSU behind and ultimately won't. What will happen? OSU and OU to Pac12. Texas most likely to ACC with an ND type deal. Kansas to the G5.

Whatever. Most the non OU/UT schools are toast in 8 years, and my feeling is screw them. We were there for them 5 years ago when the Big 12 was coming apart, and they just shivved us in the back.

Reaction Score
One thing that has to be addressed is season ticket pricing for both football and basketball now that we are in the AAC for a while.

Attendance has been declining. The matchups are not must see.

In general people are not paying $30 a pop to watch this. And in some cases donate too.

People are going to cherry pick games. League games will not be attended well IMO.

A lot of people have mentioned to me if the Big 12 didn't happen they are no longer going to be season ticketholders for football.

I will continue to be a season ticketholder for both football and basketball but I have a bad feeling a lot of people won't be any longer.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. All I'm saying is UConn's presence in Boston and NYC is weak because they're pro sports towns, so for college fanbases to claim it as their territory is silly.

In fairness to you, I don't think you knew what we were arguing about at the beginning, either.

Reaction Score

Uh, no. Kansas will instantly find a place in ANY of the P5 leagues. No question about it. Not even a debate. I see many arguments here that UConn brings in NYC/Boston, which might have some validity, but then people shouldn't turn around and ignore that Kansas brings in a MUCH wider proven fan region than its own home state (as it's located within the Kansas City region that brings in half of Missouri's population and beyond)... and people in that region REALLY watch college basketball at NFL-type levels. They are honestly the basketball version of Nebraska football - this isn't about the sheer size of the market (and the market that Kansas brings to the table is much larger than the Nebraska market), but rather that they truly get 100% of that market and they can basically charge whatever cable rate that they want for the games in that market.

Believe me - the Big Ten would add Kansas in a heartbeat. It's an AAU member school that's a flagship and is the bluest of the blue bloods in basketball. (This is not just about performance on-the-court. This is about over a century of prestige and tradition in a conference that prizes prestige and tradition more than any other league. The Kansas program was literally founded by the person that *invented* basketball, so you can't get much more blue blooded than that situation.) The SEC, ACC and Pac-12 would all add Kansas immediately, too. The only thing that would hold them back is the same thing that you pointed out with respect to Oklahoma, where politicians might try to bind them to Kansas State. Once again, trust me on this: ALL of the P5 leagues would add Kansas immediately alone. It's not even a question. Discount Kansas at your peril. UConn should actually hope that KU gets antsy because they're one of the few schools that could get P5 realignment moving again.

Reaction Score
Whatever. Most the non OU/UT schools are toast in 8 years, and my feeling is screw them. We were there for them 5 years ago when the Big 12 was coming apart, and they just shivved us in the back.

To be sure, ALWAYS rolls downhill in conference realignment. The old Conference USA members used to say similar things about when the Big East was predicted to fall apart... yet when the Big East actually fell apart, the remaining three (!) all-sports members were STILL able to rebuild and raid everyone that they wanted from C-USA. Even if UT, OU and KU all leave the Big 12, that league will still have raiding power if only because they're pocketing exit fees, pre-existing bowl agreements and left-behind NCAA Tournament credits. The reality is that whoever is left in the Big 12 can still effectively take whoever they want from the G5 leagues to create a Frankenstein hybrid of the left-behind Big 12 schools and the best of the AAC and MWC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Uh, no. Kansas will instantly find a place in ANY of the P5 leagues. No question about it. Not even a debate. I see many arguments here that UConn brings in NYC/Boston, which might have some validity, but then people shouldn't turn around and ignore that Kansas brings in a MUCH wider proven fan region than its own home state (as it's located within the Kansas City region that brings in half of Missouri's population and beyond)... and people in that region REALLY watch college basketball at NFL-type levels. They are honestly the basketball version of Nebraska football - this isn't about the sheer size of the market (and the market that Kansas brings to the table is much larger than the Nebraska market), but rather that they truly get 100% of that market and they can basically charge whatever cable rate that they want for the games in that market.

Believe me - the Big Ten would add Kansas in a heartbeat. It's an AAU member school that's a flagship and is the bluest of the blue bloods in basketball. (This is not just about performance on-the-court. This is about over a century of prestige and tradition in a conference that prizes prestige and tradition more than any other league. The Kansas program was literally founded by the person that *invented* basketball, so you can't get much more blue blooded than that situation.) The SEC, ACC and Pac-12 would all add Kansas immediately, too. The only thing that would hold them back is the same thing that you pointed out with respect to Oklahoma, where politicians might try to bind them to Kansas State. Once again, trust me on this: ALL of the P5 leagues would add Kansas immediately alone. It's not even a question. Discount Kansas at your peril. UConn should actually hope that KU gets antsy because they're one of the few schools that could get P5 realignment moving again.

Whats the math to get Kansas to carry its weight in any other Power conference with a state pop of 2.9? Big TV isn't writing checks for sports as a loss leader like it has in the past. Fox just proved that by shutting down the B12 expansion which with the right schools would have added tremendously to the reach and influence of FS1. Its fundamental at this point to CRA, the school changing conferences have to carry there own weight in media revenues because the tv check book is closed to cover the shortfalls. The math has to be obvious and assured.

Reaction Score
Whats the math to get Kansas to carry its weight in any other Power conference with a state pop of 2.9? Big TV isn't writing checks for sports as a loss leader like it has in the past. Fox just proved that by shutting down the B12 expansion which with the right schools would have added tremendously to the reach and influence of FS1. Its fundamental at this point to CRA, the school changing conferences have to carry there own weight in media revenues because the tv check book is closed to cover the shortfalls. The math has to be obvious and assured.

You overlooked my point that people are (whether intentionally or not) sandbagging the size of the market for Kansas. If you're going to argue that UConn's fan base is larger than the state of Connecticut and goes into the NYC/Boston areas (which is what most UConn fans want to argue), then you must give a lot of credit to Kansas to bringing in half of the state of Missouri on top of its home state AND that these people truly do watch college basketball at among the highest levels in the country. The Kansas City market, which is what KU brings and is actually mostly in Missouri, was the #3 ESPN college basketball market in the country last season and one of only 4 markets that averaged over a 2.5 rating for ALL college basketball games (AKA P5 college football-level viewership in GREAT college football markets like Austin and Nashville). It's also typically a top 25 college football market, too. Translation: a network can charge whatever it wants to that market for Kansas basketball and they'll receive it. This is like a cable carrier not carrying NESN in the Boston market - that cable carrier will die in that event, so NESN has ultimate pricing power.

I know people here don't seem to want to believe me, but Kansas is very, very, very safe. They are one of the few (only?) basketball-centric schools that could realistically be added that would make money for the Big Ten and SEC. KU's market is significantly larger than what you're giving it credit for... and it's not even about their local market. It's about making the BTN into a true national channel. The SEC would have the same interest with the SECN. In terms of schools that have value in the Big 12, there's Texas, then a big drop to Oklahoma and Kansas, and then there's everyone else. Unless you think that ONLY Texas and Oklahoma are getting out of the Big 12, then Kansas is finding a home. They are waaaaay more valuable than Oklahoma State and everyone else in that league and, as such, will easily be added. They have the academics (AAU status), national brand name, and bluest of the blue blood credentials.

Reaction Score
You overlooked my point that people are (whether intentionally or not) sandbagging the size of the market for Kansas. If you're going to argue that UConn's fan base is larger than the state of Connecticut and goes into the NYC/Boston areas (which is what most UConn fans want to argue), then you must give a lot of credit to Kansas to bringing in half of the state of Missouri on top of its home state AND that these people truly do watch college basketball at among the highest levels in the country. The Kansas City market, which is what KU brings and is actually mostly in Missouri, was the #3 ESPN college basketball market in the country last season and one of only 4 markets that averaged over a 2.5 rating for ALL college basketball games (AKA P5 college football-level viewership in GREAT college football markets like Austin and Nashville). It's also typically a top 25 college football market, too. Translation: a network can charge whatever it wants to that market for Kansas basketball and they'll receive it. This is like a cable carrier not carrying NESN in the Boston market - that cable carrier will die in that event, so NESN has ultimate pricing power.

I know people here don't seem to want to believe me, but Kansas is very, very, very safe. They are one of the few (only?) basketball-centric schools that could realistically be added that would make money for the Big Ten and SEC. KU's market is significantly larger than what you're giving it credit for... and it's not even about their local market. It's about making the BTN into a true national channel. The SEC would have the same interest with the SECN. In terms of schools that have value in the Big 12, there's Texas, then a big drop to Oklahoma and Kansas, and then there's everyone else. Unless you think that ONLY Texas and Oklahoma are getting out of the Big 12, then Kansas is finding a home. They are waaaaay more valuable than Oklahoma State and everyone else in that league and, as such, will easily be added. They have the academics (AAU status), national brand name, and bluest of the blue blood credentials.
This is such a crock.

Reaction Score

Except for the fact that it looked like Kansas was going to be relegated to the G5 in 2010.

The issue that many people here have with Kansas' candidacy is that they're very similar to UConn: State flagship, elite basketball, national brand, owns their home market (and viewership that stretches beyond state), weak football, strong academics, etc.

Kansas has more "history" and is AAU. UConn has the larger market (and without split fandom), higher ranked academics, a much wealthier demographic (think advertiser $$), and the wildcard that is WBB (MBB also has more NCs than Kansas, despite Kansas' history).

In our eyes, Kansas should have value. After all, in many ways, they're the P5 whose profile is most similar to UConn. And yet, everyone always tells us that if UConn had value they'd already be in a P5 league.

UConn was late to big-time football and it's led them to where they are today. But when you look at a side-by-side comparison with Kansas' credentials, UConn's situation just doesn't add up.

So our issue with Kansas on this board isn't so much that we don't think they have value, but it infuriates us that a school with such a similar profile is considered a P5 shoo-in while UConn is stuck in G5 purgatory.

Reaction Score
Not just stuck in G5 purgatory, but laughed at anytime you mention that UConn is just as worthy of P5 status as anyone else. I'm glad Pres. Herbst released the B12 marketing materials. Maybe the idiots out there would like to take a look at our resume instead of remaining low information. Maybe deep down they realize we're more worthy than many of the schools in the P5 and we've had to work to get there. Deep down I know we could win the next ten MBB titles and people would still say "UConn? Yeah they're a good program, but not Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky good." Never mind the fact that in the last 20 seasons UConn basketball is 14-0 in national title games. It's true: we're not in the same class as the blue bloods, because they've never had that level of success before despite trying really really hard for a longer period of time.

Reaction Score
I'm flushing the negative. So far we have held up very well with recruiting and the one thing we haven't done lately is get a top ten recruit or top shelf big man. If we were P5 that would be different I think, the league competition and schedule being the issue, but as long as KO continues to get good players we are OK and we have ample evidence that this will continue. We are in purgatory but the way out is to perform, win, go to final fours, fuel our recruiting and stick it in their eye. I have more optimism than fans of many P5 teams starting the hoop season I'm sure with good reason. We won't be on the outside forever.

Reaction Score
Except for the fact that it looked like Kansas was going to be relegated to the G5 in 2010.

The issue that many people here have with Kansas' candidacy is that they're very similar to UConn: State flagship, elite basketball, national brand, owns their home market (and viewership that stretches beyond state), weak football, strong academics, etc.

Kansas has more "history" and is AAU. UConn has the larger market (and without split fandom), higher ranked academics, a much wealthier demographic (think advertiser $$), and the wildcard that is WBB (MBB also has more NCs than Kansas, despite Kansas' history).

In our eyes, Kansas should have value. After all, in many ways, they're the P5 whose profile is most similar to UConn. And yet, everyone always tells us that if UConn had value they'd already be in a P5 league.

UConn was late to big-time football and it's led them to where they are today. But when you look at a side-by-side comparison with Kansas' credentials, UConn's situation just doesn't add up.

So our issue with Kansas on this board isn't so much that we don't think they have value, but it infuriates us that a school with such a similar profile is considered a P5 shoo-in while UConn is stuck in G5 purgatory.

If the Pac-16 had occurred, Kansas would have ended up in that new Pac-16 (replacing Texas A&M that was prepared to split off to head to the SEC) or a 16-school Big Ten. It has always been a gross misnomer to suggest that they would have been left out (just as I think it's a gross misnomer whenever I see suggestions that the Pac-12 later rejected Oklahoma in 2011 when the reality was they they didn't want Oklahoma State having to come with them). KU had to put on the public face that they weren't going to leave Kansas State behind from a political perspective until they could legitimately argue that the Big 12 was *truly* going to die. Frankly, that's still the case today.

And look, I understand the consternation from UConn fans. Part of the issue is certainly time (meaning the amount of time that UConn has played top-level football compared to Kansas), which is unfortunately something that UConn can't change. I'm just saying that all 4 other P5 conferences would all LOVE to take Kansas *alone* (AKA without Kansas State). I don't expect UConn fans here to like it, but that's what the landscape is like here.

Now, the issue for Kansas is similar to what it was in 2010: they can't leave Kansas State behind unless the Big 12 is truly going to die... and Kansas can't be the one actually *causing* the Big 12 to die by proactively leaving on its own. They basically only have the option to move if Texas and/or Oklahoma makes the first move... but Oklahoma is in the exact same Pandora's box with respect to Oklahoma State. The political binds in the Big 12 might prove to be what keeps the league together in the long-term.

Reaction Score
If the Pac-16 had occurred, Kansas would have ended up in that new Pac-16 (replacing Texas A&M that was prepared to split off to head to the SEC) or a 16-school Big Ten. It has always been a gross misnomer to suggest that they would have been left out (just as I think it's a gross misnomer whenever I see suggestions that the Pac-12 later rejected Oklahoma in 2011 when the reality was they they didn't want Oklahoma State having to come with them). KU had to put on the public face that they weren't going to leave Kansas State behind from a political perspective until they could legitimately argue that the Big 12 was *truly* going to die. Frankly, that's still the case today.

And look, I understand the consternation from UConn fans. Part of the issue is certainly time (meaning the amount of time that UConn has played top-level football compared to Kansas), which is unfortunately something that UConn can't change. I'm just saying that all 4 other P5 conferences would all LOVE to take Kansas *alone* (AKA without Kansas State). I don't expect UConn fans here to like it, but that's what the landscape is like here.

Now, the issue for Kansas is similar to what it was in 2010: they can't leave Kansas State behind unless the Big 12 is truly going to die... and Kansas can't be the one actually *causing* the Big 12 to die by proactively leaving on its own. They basically only have the option to move if Texas and/or Oklahoma makes the first move... but Oklahoma is in the exact same Pandora's box with respect to Oklahoma State. The political binds in the Big 12 might prove to be what keeps the league together in the long-term.
In your estimation, what in Kansas' profile makes them a P5 must-have, while UConn is stuck in the G5?

Market?
Academics?
Basketball success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members