So what's next? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just gets a little frustrating when we do literally everything better than Rutgers (academics, athletics, etc.) and Rutgers gets the golden ticket. They're morons.

Sorry but UConn only became relevant with the creation of the Big East, which was a cozy northeast power conference, which perfectly fit the cozy state of CT. We're now trying to play with the big boys, when we're still a postage stamp market. Rutgers is awful and may always be that way, but they pull in a much larger market than we will ever will.

Sorry, again, but I lived in MA and they could care less about UConn, same with Fairfield County. UConn is really just a Hartford thing and the P5 knows it.

Bash away....

Reaction Score
Sorry but UConn only became relevant with the creation of the Big East, which was a cozy northeast power conference, which perfectly fit the cozy state of CT. We're now trying to play with the big boys, when we're still a postage stamp market. Rutgers is awful and may always be that way, but they pull in a much larger market than we will ever will.

Sorry, again, but I lived in MA and they could care less about UConn, same with Fairfield County. UConn is really just a Hartford thing and the P5 knows it.

Bash away....

I live in lower Fairfield County and I see UConn gear all over the place on men and women of all ages. We probably lean more toward pro football in this part of the state but Husky basketball is very well followed.

Reaction Score

Bash away....
So your premise is UConn flourished into a national brand that achieved major athletic success when given a level playing field.

Gee, why would a power conference ever want a school like that?

Reaction Score

Bash away....

Define a postage stamp market? Are you talking DMA?

Reaction Score

Bash away....
That postage stamp market you speak of is the 30th largest market in the country which means UConn's market is larger than most of the P5 schools' including the media markets that house Ohio State (#31), Texas (#39), and Alabama (#45) to name a few CFB name brands. In addition to its own media market, UConn has some penetration into the adjoining markets like NYC (#1), Boston (#8), and Providence (#52). UConn's market also covers some of the wealthiest in the nation. All in all there aren't too many flagship state universities, P5 or otherwise, that can offer the unique market that UConn does when you consider all of these factors.

Reaction Score
The easy suggestion is simply to cut the chord and stream only the channels you watch. The issue with that is content providers will eventually get wise and jack the rates up for these stand alone offerings. Every channel currently subsidizes every other one. If everyone decides to go this way, in the future you will be paying nearly the same amount of money per month for a 5th of the content you used to get in your cable package. Not to mention that in many instances your cable company may also be your ISP. What do you think happens to the price of your internet package when everyone starts dropping cable and streaming everything they watch online? Profits have to come from somewhere.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is like that neighbor kid you "played" with when you were little because your parents made you. You felt kind of bad about why you were doing it, and honestly you were embarrassed that your friends might find out that you were hanging with the kid who pees his pants and eats his own boogers. It is what it is. Delany found a way to monetize the college athletics equivalent of Screech. They in turn get a nice paycheck and the honor of getting beat 78-0 by Michigan. They understood the deal and they took it. The majority of us don't like it, as we would greatly prefer to be watching Uconn Men/Women's Basketball, Ice Hockey and quite honestly Football. Money talks and unfortnately we are stuck with what we got.

Reaction Score
That postage stamp market you speak of is the 30th largest market in the country which means UConn's market is larger than most of the P5 schools' including the media markets that house Ohio State (#31), Texas (#39), and Alabama (#45) to name a few CFB name brands. In addition to its own media market, UConn has some penetration into the adjoining markets like NYC (#1), Boston (#8), and Providence (#52). UConn's market also covers some of the wealthiest in the nation. All in all there aren't too many flagship state universities, P5 or otherwise, that can offer the unique market that UConn does when you consider all of these factors.

Nice job, Hoops Fan. But don't get drawn into an argument with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It just gets a little frustrating when we do literally everything better than Rutgers (academics, athletics, etc.) and Rutgers gets the golden ticket. They're morons.

I somewhat understand the frustration. When the Big10 Hockey started, it destroyed the CCHA, where my alma mater Northern Michigan University played. They would go against Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame and the like. It was awesome! Now that the CCHA has folded and WCHA has been relegated to junior status in D1 hockey, NMU is basically now a MAC level program. NMU has a national championship (1991), three frozen four appearances and eight tournament appearances. Not a junior status team.

That being said, the 80 cents a month is so small that the process of getting it removed would cost thousands more than actually paying for the network. If you are against it, than just don't watch it. The ad dollars add up and it cost nothing to turn the channel.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Bash away....

I'm from Fairfield County and UConn is extremely popular there.

As far as being a small market, these are the states that have P5 football with smaller markets:

West Virginia
Arkansas
Nebraska
Kansas
Iowa
Utah
Mississippi

And Oklahoma & Oregon are just slightly larger than Connecticut in population.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I live in lower Fairfield County and I see UConn gear all over the place on men and women of all ages. We probably lean more toward pro football in this part of the state but Husky basketball is very well followed.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Reaction Score
I still believe that the B12 option will occur, ..... but....if it becomes apparent that neither the B12 nor ACC will not happen then I believe that a call should be made to the Big East to see if UConn and BYU can be added as a package.

The Big East + UConn and BYU = first class basketball conference.

Maybe in the old days. In the new world, we ultimately die in a nonFB, BB only conference. We simply can't compete over the long term. The revenue disparity has grown so big between P5 and non-P5 it's not sustainable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes an east coast and midwest CATHOLIC basketball league is going to invite BYU.

Providence, St. John's, Villanova and Georgetown are dying for regular season trips to Utah.

They are struggling so bad off a national championship they have to move swiftly.

Reaction Score
I'm from Fairfield County and UConn is extremely popular there.

As far as being a small market, these are the states that have P5 football with smaller markets:

West Virginia
Arkansas
Nebraska
Kansas
Iowa
Utah
Mississippi

And Oklahoma & Oregon are just slightly larger than Connecticut in population.
I live and work in Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk and almost never see UConn gear. I go to Boston often, and same thing, almost no UConn gear.

All of those states you mentioned get more eyeballs on TVs. Hartford may be larger than Lincoln, NE, but there are far more Nebraskans, and people in neighboring states, watching Nebraska sports than Hartford residents watching UConn. UConn is a Hartford County fanbase.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I live and work in Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk and almost never see UConn gear. I go to Boston often, and same thing, almost no UConn gear.

All of those states you mentioned get more eyeballs on TVs. Hartford may be larger than Lincoln, NE, but there are far more Nebraskans, and people in neighboring states, watching Nebraska sports than Hartford residents watching UConn. UConn is a Hartford County fanbase.
Main campus is in Tolland County, if you are going to insinuate we have no fan base outside of one county at least get it right. There's only 8 in the state.

Reaction Score

My son, a 27 year old BC alum, lives and works in NYC. He's at the gym daily. He has said many times that, perhaps with exception of NYU, he sees more apparel for UConn than for any other university. The same is true on the streets. So take heart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Keep your eyes open be cause I live in Port Chester right near the CT border and I'm in Greenwich all the time. Between hats, t-shirts, and sweatshirts I have UConn gear on all the time. I also call bulls**t on the statement you don't see UConn gear in the Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk area as well!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Keep your eyes open be cause I live in Port Chester right near the CT border and I'm in Greenwich all the time. Between hats, t-shirts, and sweatshirts I have UConn gear on all the time. I also call bulls**t on the statement you don't see UConn gear in the Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk area as well!
I had my UConn hoodie on last Saturday and had 2 strangers say "good win" and another fist bump me in Barnes and noble - " can't wait for basketball to start". That was in Westport.

Reaction Score

Let me guess - you see more Syracuse fans in your travels than UCONN?

I think UCONN has more alumni in Fairfield county than any other area of the state save for greater Hartford. Fairfield county high schools send more students to UCONN than any other single school.

With 230,000 ( edit : 140,000) alumni in state, it would be pretty surprising to have no fan support in the most populated area of the state. I think you have your orange glasses on, and you sound absurd wearing them.

And since we are trading anecdotes - I have lived in and around Boston for over twenty years... I see UCONN gear all the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had my UConn hoodie on last Saturday and had 2 strangers say "good win" and another fist bump me in Barnes and noble - " can't wait for basketball to start". That was in Westport.
Same here..I was in Greenwich Sunday morning and had a couple say to me and my wife "UCONNNN"...chuckle..."that was a really good game yesterday"
I checked out some of @EastCoast2 's other posts...he is nothing more than a Cuse troll.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

I lived and worked in the Danbury to Westport area and it was all UConn.

If you look at the college fan maps by zip code, UConn dominates everything between NYC and Boston. UConn's presence there is far, far stronger than Rutgers' presence on its home turf between NYC and Philly.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Angry BC alum?

Reaction Score
I've met a lot of transplants to Fairfield Cty who had no state allegiances prior to moving there. They became UConn fans while living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom