So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class> | Page 6 | The Boneyard

So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class>

Reaction Score
All important questions that I will worry about as soon as this season is over. As for right now, UConn is the unanimous #1 team in the nation after thrashing the reigning national champions, and previous unanimous #1 team on their home court.

I don't know OD, I thought you were the original multi tasker...................;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's a nice thought, but truth be told, I do struggle to walk and eat a ham sandwich at the same time...:confused:

Depends on how many slices you put in....:)

Reaction Score
first I do wonder if the loss of Moseley and Shea not being on the road hurt UConn's recruiting efforts a bit this summer....

Horston - a bit of a wild card...didn't establish a relationship early enough (understandable)......not a great fit with UConn culture

Jones - the lure of playing at home for a great basketball program and a better school was just too much to overcome.(same goes for Brink)

Boston - a complete mystery to me..everything was in place.....thus my concerns when she didn't commit earlier...

and I see the same issues with some of the 2020 class (PB, Hailey Van Lith) so for UConn to only recruit 4-5 players will likely lead to a similar outcome....
Charlie, ditto to your comments. While I am not naïve enough to think this Board's comments reflect Geno's, about a year ago much of the conversation was about other potential recruits from Australia and throughout US and how Boston might fit in. Myself and others posted that Boston was a must win, but as with many discussions, opinions varied until it became obvious Boston was the main/only option. In the chance she was made aware of these posts, could have influenced decision. I know, low probability this took place but...

Reaction Score
Fully agree that part of the recruiting equation (UCONN type kids) will never change. There is also no indication that ANY of the recruits that said no to UCONN in 2019 failed to meet that criteria though.
Not sure I understand comments that things don't change at UConn. Many years have seen 3-5 recruits come in. Geno has typically been creative in his strategies so don't buy the "we only recruit the top 1-2 players each year" scenario.

Reaction Score
Charlie, ditto to your comments. While I am not naïve enough to think this Board's comments reflect Geno's, about a year ago much of the conversation was about other potential recruits from Australia and throughout US and how Boston might fit in. Myself and others posted that Boston was a must win, but as with many discussions, opinions varied until it became obvious Boston was the main/only option. In the chance she was made aware of these posts, could have influenced decision. I know, low probability this took place but...

being the only option is a great position to be in for a top recruit..................Boston had a rare opportunity to be a four year UConn starter but for reasons of her own that was not to her liking

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
These recruits need to open their eyes. Look at the playing time and publicity that Christyn and Olivia are getting. In the biggest game of the year so far, who was the star, the player the announcers were swooning over? UConn Freshman Christyn Williams. You want to be great? Play with Christyn and follow her path.

Reaction Score
These recruits need to open their eyes. Look at the playing time and publicity that Christyn and Olivia are getting. In the biggest game of the year so far, who was the star, the player the announcers were swooning over? UConn Freshman Christyn Williams. You want to be great? Play with Christyn and follow her path.

you convinced me....................where do I sign.....................;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Better is the prospect that you will be playing in big, meaningful games on big stages with many eyes watching you constantly throughout your career. This only enhances your chances to move on and into the League. I mean, I know most 17 year old's are completely self consumed and actually know little about the game they play. But some of these recruits have to notice that the WBB national teams are UConn top heavy. I'm surprised that doesn't speak more to them.

Reaction Score
Better is the prospect that you will be playing in big, meaningful games on big stages with many eyes watching you constantly throughout your career. This only enhances your chances to move on and into the League. I mean, I know most 17 year old's are completely self consumed and actually know little about the game they play. But some of these recruits have to notice that the WBB national teams are UConn top heavy. I'm surprised that doesn't speak more to them.

I'm sure the prestige and the great training that UConn provides is a draw for some but the strict, boot camp mentality is a big turn off to many that would rather play in a more relaxed environment..............I would bet that playing in the non competitive AAC is not a positive either............nothing new there...........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Top-heavy? You mean like 80% of the starting lineup? Dawn didn’t win the gold medal in Tenerife. Stewie, Diana, Sue, Tina, and Brit did. So if you’re 6’9”, go to Baylor. If you’re not, go to UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand comments that things don't change at UConn. Many years have seen 3-5 recruits come in. Geno has typically been creative in his strategies so don't buy the "we only recruit the top 1-2 players each year" scenario.
The part that will not change regardless of how highly ranked is that each recruit must fit in on the UCONN team. Geno has said the number one thing he looks for in a recruit is someone who is going to be a good teammate.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
You could get the next Katie Lou from OC, as she is a 2020 grad from Fountain Valley HS, which is next to Huntington Beach.
Now you have to pronounce her first name phonetically.

Kat Luu's High School Timeline

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
We generally prefer a player with 2,592 career points, not one ranked #2,592. ;)
Actually,that is her schools ranking. It is the Max Preps tanking of all high schools in the USA. By taking her it would keep the Luuu chant going.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually,that is her schools ranking. It is the Max Preps tanking of all high schools in the USA. By taking her it would keep the Luuu chant going.
So, we need to tell Geno to find:

1. More kids named Lou/Luu

2. More kids born on June 21 (his mother, Diana, and Maya)

Reaction Score
Exactly! Geno has changed and adapted to the player recruited and those he accepted

Geno never plays Freshmen, Dt, Maya CW, Stew other---Geno will never play UTenn--well? Uc players don't play unless they practice well--Charde,
The RIGID never changing Geno seems not very accurate. There are some rigid things that seem more CD oriented: Tattoos, Texting during the season, anything uniform

Reaction Score
Frankly, I wasn’t either. She has size and skills, but got into foul trouble and was a non-factor in both losses last weekend. She’s no Tina Charles.

I feel the same way, I have not been impressed by Marshall at all.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way, I have not been impressed by Marshall at all.

I've seen her play really, really well and I've seen her play like a typical high school basketball player................clearly not the finished product and she would certainly not be ready to start for a team like UConn or Notre Dame as a freshman.................that said UConn and Notre Dame don't make it a habit of recruiting "stiffs".................

Reaction Score
I'm sure the prestige and the great training that UConn provides is a draw for some but the strict, boot camp mentality is a big turn off to many that would rather play in a more relaxed environment....I would bet that playing in the non competitive AAC is not a positive either..nothing new there......
For some kids: The Game is the thing. Getting to play and play early. Too much of the visible bench sitters and an Ossining player associated drama had to have an impact.
This is one of the things Mom meant when she said: Don't hang your dirty out for all to see.
Probably to SOME the AAC may be a turned off. (Jones was digging for a reason not to pick UC) But for others the big time big visibility and viewable all over the land on ESPN/U is a positive, I would think.
When a kid from Calif, Wash, Oregon, Tx, OK, opts to stay close to home, while it may be a loss for UC, it is more natural than the DT's or Cw's leaving the comforts and weather of home. Maybe the solution is for Geno to look around NY, Ct, NH, Canada, Pa, NJ, and yes even Va (I know he is ). For the limited amt of kids I've seen below the MD line I would think a good number could be my view of an 8th,9th type of real sub.
While I feel pieces of projectiles hitting my scalp there is still some sky remaining in place, I would think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For some kids: The Game is the thing. Getting to play and play early. Too much of the visible bench sitters and an Ossining player associated drama had to have an impact.

When a kid from Calif, Wash, Oregon, Tx, OK, opts to stay close to home, while it may be a loss for UC, it is more natural than the DT's or Cw's leaving the comforts and weather of home. Maybe the solution is for Geno to look around NY, Ct, NH, Canada, Pa, NJ, and yes even Va (I know he is )

there are great players throughout the country and as a premier national program UConn should always go after the best of the best no matter where they reside..............obviously it's always great when you kind find great talent closer to home and it is painful to watch other programs come and cherry pick Mid Atlantic and New England area..............for whatever reason, Texas seems to be the state that not only has the most talent but also it's the state where kids often want to stay close to home.............hopefully Ms. Gusters for instance has an inquisitive mind when it comes to American geography...........same applies to Ms Van Lith.............

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Just curious... Has Geno ever signed a junior college tranfer? I don’t know of any.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom