So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class> | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class>

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't need as big a net but I guess it out worked pretty well for South Carolina and Tennessee
Whoa, getting a bit ahead of yourself here my friend. Tell me just “how” has it worked pretty well for them? Tenn 2017 class already had Hayes leave, and oh yeah, they haven’t won anything. SC looks horrible right now. Add in the 38% attrition rate under Dawn and I am not convinced she doesn’t just have dysfunction. I am, however more inclined to think SC will be more relevant than Tenn towards a top end program.

Reaction Score
Whoa, getting a bit ahead of yourself here my friend. Tell me just “how” has it worked pretty well for them? Tenn 2017 class already had Hayes leave, and oh yeah, they haven’t won anything. SC looks horrible right now. Add in the 38% attrition rate under Dawn and I am not convinced she doesn’t just have dysfunction. I am, however more inclined to think SC will be more relevant than Tenn towards a top end program.

I was referring to the quality of their 2019 recruiting class...............the one with that big New England fish that got away..................I bet Dawn is happy she cast a long line for that one

Reaction Score

Thanks?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I was expecting this thread to stoop to Yo Mama jokes.

It always surprises that the newer posters slam your program when history has shown that this is cyclical and hasn't affected how Uconn seems to play the game. The false premise would be that anything less than a NC is not worthy which is a shame if some people have those standards or are they saying that every other team just absolutely sucks as they cannot make the FF any or most years, let a lone get an NC.

Reaction Score
I was expecting this thread to stoop to Yo Mama jokes.

It always surprises that the newer posters slam your program when history has shown that this is cyclical and hasn't affected how Uconn seems to play the game. The false premise would be that anything less than a NC is not worthy which is a shame if some people have those standards or are they saying that every other team just absolutely sucks as they cannot make the FF any or most years, let a lone get an NC.

I can't speak for the newbies but for me recruiting is an essential part of the effort to field the very best team possible in hopes of winning a national championship every year........................do I expect them to win it every year..............................no but I expect a highly skilled,highly competitive team that's a joy to watch most of the time.........................I would suspect that most fans of historically highly ranked teams would have similar expectations..........

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I can't speak for the newbies but for me recruiting is an essential part of the effort to field the very best team possible in hopes of winning a national championship every year....do I expect them to win it every year.....no but I expect a highly skilled,highly competitive team that's a joy to watch most of the time.....I would suspect that most fans of historically highly ranked teams would have similar expectations.....

That is what you have had and do have.

Reaction Score
That is what you have had and do have.

This year's team will go as far as Collier and KLS can carry them....................if you haven't noticed they are both seniors......................next year's team will certainly be talented but losing those two players without any new help at their positions leaves a group that will be challenged to defend, rebound and score points inside and out..............Kyla Irwin or possibly the oft injured Batouly Camara (if she chooses to come back) are wonderful student athletes but not my ideal as a starting forward next season....................bottom line....................UConn flat our failed to recruit a player to fill either of those two roles....................I will certainly hope for the best but am I supposed to be pleased about that?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There has been alot of talk that Geno struck out this recruiting season. Well I am confident he will be back soon. Remember Babe Ruth struck out over 2,000 times but everybody remembers the 714 home runs. I think Geno has a few home runs left in him.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks?
Actually, your opinion is something I think all of us would be curious to hear. Dawn is showing a propensity for roster turnover via transfers in or transfers out. Which while it served you well with the 2017 NC with Davis and Gray transferring in and then leaving early. Jatarie White leave, You had Te'a Cooper come in along with Nelly Perry and had Ari Bradshaw leave. Now you have 3 new recruits this year and 5 for next year. Don't you think there will be more departures?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I can't speak for the newbies but for me recruiting is an essential part of the effort to field the very best team possible in hopes of winning a national championship every year....do I expect them to win it every year.....no but I expect a highly skilled,highly competitive team that's a joy to watch most of the time.....I would suspect that most fans of historically highly ranked teams would have similar expectations.....
I think you might need to modify your staunch stance. Given the sheer number of transfers occurring and the over recruiting by big programs-Baylor, Louisville, South Carolina that have significant Top 100 players leave, the sole way to winning is not solely hinged to HS recruiting.
Even Geno has modified his stance on tranfers in-Butler, Z, Batouly and they host Howard over the spring/summer. He will have to lean heavily on that option this spring as well.

Reaction Score
I think you might need to modify your staunch stance. Given the sheer number of transfers occurring and the over recruiting by big programs-Baylor, Louisville, South Carolina that have significant Top 100 players leave, the sole way to winning is not solely hinged to HS recruiting.
Even Geno has modified his stance on tranfers in-Butler, Z, Batouly and they host Howard over the spring/summer. He will have to lean heavily on that option this spring as well.

I have no problems with transfers although some teams have become far too dependent on them............I assume that would not be the case with UConn.............

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks for the note back-I wasn't inferring you had a problem with transfers, just that I think an over reliance on recruiting 15-17 year olds is becoming more fickle as evidenced by the number of transfers we have seen every year. Even the top ranked girls are leaving, according to Hoopgurlz:
2015 2 of top 10 transferred; 6 of top 20 transferred
2016 4 of top 10; 10 of top 20
2017 2 of top 10; 5 of top 20

You still need top talent and for it to develop. We are in a new paradigm now and we will see how the transfers affect the NCAA title winners going forward. The last two champions had significant if not wholly, contributions from transfers-Shepard/Gray & Davis that without, no way either ND or SC win.

Reaction Score
Actually, your opinion is something I think all of us would be curious to hear. Dawn is showing a propensity for roster turnover via transfers in or transfers out. Which while it served you well with the 2017 NC with Davis and Gray transferring in and then leaving early. Jatarie White leave, You had Te'a Cooper come in along with Nelly Perry and had Ari Bradshaw leave. Now you have 3 new recruits this year and 5 for next year. Don't you think there will be more departures?

Possibly, but I'm not really worried about it. Generally speaking the people who transfer aren't the ones that are succeeding.

They only real logjam of talent next year is forward with Herbert-Harrigan, Grissett, Saxton returning and Amihere coming in.

I supposed guard could get a little jammed up if Te'a Cooper comes back, but with Nelly Perry, Cuevas-Moore, and Cliney graduating some of the guard overflow can still be shifted over to forward.

We haven't really had a particularly harmful transfer since Kelsey Bone.

Jatarie White wasn't really needed at any point, but she could have helped us I guess.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Possibly, but I'm not really worried about it. Generally speaking the people who transfer aren't the ones that are succeeding.

They only real logjam of talent next year is forward with Herbert-Harrigan, Grissett, Saxton returning and Amihere coming in.

I supposed guard could get a little jammed up if Te'a Cooper comes back, but with Nelly Perry, Cuevas-Moore, and Cliney graduating some of the guard overflow can still be shifted over to forward.

We haven't really had a particularly harmful transfer since Kelsey Bone.

Jatarie White wasn't really needed at any point, but she could have helped us I guess.
umm, you forgot about the recruit you stole from us...Aliyah Boston, at 6'4" is also a forward so your logjam is what we are counting on!

Reaction Score
umm, you forgot about the recruit you stole from us...Aliyah Boston, at 6'4" is also a forward so your logjam is what we are counting on!

you have to admit it's a bit of a sad day when UConn fans start panting over other team's recruits with the hope that they'll transfer............

Reaction Score
according to the ND fan site Paige Bueckers will be attending the game on Sunday..............I'd love to see if she roots for one team over the other or is her usual stoic self............

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
according to the ND fan site Paige Bueckers will be attending the game on Sunday....I'd love to see if she roots for one team over the other or is her usual stoic self..

Charlie:
Report came in via ND Hoops Recruits, who covers the Men's and Women's Hoops scene. Apparently, both of the Irish 2019 signees will be there and it looks like 2020's Ali Campbell is coming from central Pa. Paige must be dipping into her frequent flyers miles account. Here's the tweet:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Charlie:
Report came in ND Hoops Recruits, who covers the Men's and Women's Hoops scene. Apparently, both of the Irish 2019 signees will be there and it looks like Ali Campbell is coming from central Pa. Paige must be dipping into her frequent flyers miles account. Here's the tweet:

I'm sure the recruiting watchers will be looking for any sign of partisanship...............

Reaction Score
No word on Fudd? Maybe they are considering going to different schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom