So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class> | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class>

Reaction Score
Look at what Uconn has on the bench, I thought Uconn is already doing that.

neither MB or KI were Top 100 players, I believe they were picked because the 2016 class was pretty thin and Geno decided that recruits with great character trumped somewhat more skilled options...........................I'm really focusing on the second tier recruits that are still excellent players (30-100)............while some may disagree, I believe that AG received an offer with the anticipation that Horston and Jones might go elsewhere.............and it's a damn good thing they did as she's going to be a big part of the team going forward..........now if they had just made an offer to a 6'2"+ forward they wouldn't be in quite as bad a position............

Reaction Score
I think it may be time for Geno to do what I have been urging him to do for about fifteen years now and look seriously into signing Ivana Stepovaya. Granted that she is a bit long in the tooth, but she would add rebounding and take up a lot of space in the middle. And think what a drawing card a 7 foot plus Russian (Ukranian?) of indeterminate age would be, win, lose or draw! Her grey hair and mustache would cause a media orgy! (She might even make the cover of the Rolling Stone, or be the Time person of the year). And she would have four full years of eligibility. Whaddya think?

what's her GPA?

Reaction Score
Geno is going to enjoy this. He will now have the opportunity to really coach for the first time in a long while. Won’t be able to rely on pure skills.

Needless to say kiss those undefeated seasons goodbye for 3-4 years.

Also UCONN might want to think about articulating either a Geno succession plan or getting him to affirm commitment for the next X years. I think that other coaches may be using his age as a recruiting lever and it might be working.

That is the critical factor. How much longer will Coach Geno coach? And if it's a tough couple of years, will he decide he isn't having much fun any more? That he's accomplished all he needs to accomplish? If the recruiting landscape has changed, will he say that he will stay only until X? Or is that what kids are now thinking: that he won't be there that much longer.... It's not like 2004-5 when he had lots of years left in him to recover from a four-year recruiting drought.

Reaction Score
You can breathe easy BY... Look at this way, Stanford, Baylor, Texas, SCarolina all have startinv wing n forward/post posoptions filled. Leaves a lot of opportunity to seize 2020 talent where we need it most. Breathe ppl, it will work itself out. These girls are not looking to spend 2 or 3 years coming off the bench. They wanna start or get heavy minutes. At UConn they will get that. Patience. Besides we have real at NC this year if CW n ONO have grown by March. Go Huskies!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, do you have any idea if the "sit in" was UConn's idea or if it was the kid's idea and UConn just went along with it? I haven't been able to figure out why they were there, especially since it appears to me that Jones may have had her mind set for Stanford for awhile.
There was a article or a tweet indicating that it was Paige and Azzi's idea to make sure Aliyah and Haley had a good visit. Either way, and again this is in hindsight, UCONN should have said no IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The recruiting strategy will be same as it's been for many many years. Don't expect Geno and CD to change their approach this late in their careers. They would rather have a harder path with kids they consider "UCONN" type kids than go outside the mold.
Fully agree that part of the recruiting equation (UCONN type kids) will never change. There is also no indication that ANY of the recruits that said no to UCONN in 2019 failed to meet that criteria though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
as Notre Dame, MD, Miss St and other programs have proven, you don't need every player to be a top ten recruit..there's nothing wrong with a skilled second tier player (30 -100) that has some of the skills and the mind set that UConn is looking for.....for example ND has been playing Abby Prohaska due to injuries and she was ESPN #73....Taylor Mikesell is playing well at Maryland and she was rated #33...and I won't even go into Dara Mabrey who wasn't even rated in the ESPN 100.....bottom line..yes fight for the top kids but don't forget that there are talented recruits a bit farther down the line that may provide a bit of insurance when things don't work out as planned...focus on a couple of the best of them and make an offer.....
Charlie with all do respect though the skill level required to play and impact the game is different at UCONN than it is a Mississippi state or MD i.e., AEH.

Reaction Score
There was a article or a tweet indicating that it was Paige and Azzi's idea to make sure Aliyah and Haley had a good visit. Either way, and again this is in hindsight, UCONN should have said no IMO.
I tend to agree that it wasn't a great idea since an important part of the OV is to interact with current members of the team that will be there for the next few years. The thing I don't get is why it would be important to them for Jones and Boston to have a good visit to UConn and not to any other school. Unless........ and I have to believe it's too early for that to be possible. It kind of put UConn in a tough position, how do they say no? They sure don't want to risk alienating probably their two most important future recruits.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I tend to agree that it wasn't a great idea since an important part of the OV is to interact with current members of the team that will be there for the next few years. The thing I don't get is why it would be important to them for Jones and Boston to have a good visit to UConn and not to any other school. Unless... and I have to believe it's too early for that to be possible. It kind of put UConn in a tough position, how do they say no? They sure don't want risk alienating probably their two most important future recruits.
It is a very delicate situation. I think the delivery with compassion would have been key. Geno and CD to the Parents of Paige and Azzi: We very much appreciate that you want to come up because Aliyah and Haley are going to be here but we want this weekend to be about them. When you get ready to take your official visit that weekend will be about you.

Reaction Score
I had no idea Geno had so much talent these past few seasons that he was just rolling out the balls and letting the kids play. I mistakenly believed he was coaching his ass off. Who would’ve guessed. :rolleyes:
He has recruited at a top 5 level the past few classes. So, uh, yeah, quality of recruit makes a difference.Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He has recruited at a top 5 level the past few classes. So, uh, yeah, quality of recruit makes a difference.Head bang
In your post you suggested Geno hasn’t been coaching hard, just because he’s had great players. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, I will argue that Geno worked harder during the 2015-16 season than any season I can remember because he knew he had a great team, and he didn’t want to screw it up.

Reaction Score
Charlie with all do respect though the skill level required to play and impact the game is different at UCONN than it is a Mississippi state or MD i.e., AEH.

so Geno wouldn't be interested in Fraser, Charles, Mikesell or Austin if they were available to him next year?

Reaction Score
I'm not going to start with the I told you so's even though I spent months suffering the slings and arrows of the UConn cognoscenti as they derided my pleas for additional 2019 recruiting offers ....let's just say that I hope Geno and Co will cast a somewhat wider net for this ultra important 2020 class...next year's team will be short in stature and short on players...they'll still be a good and competitive team but I wouldn't expect them to win the championship......many of us know the big names in the 2020 class..Bueckers, Van Lith, Clark, Andrews, Kapinus, Marshall, Daniels, Gusters...each and every one of these players will get multiple offers from most of the big programs...I really am curious how Geno will handle these recruits.....in the meantime, I'm going to be looking at some of the other "lesser" ranked players that still may offer UConn some great value in the days to come
Just because it is obvious, here is a guess on next year's starting line-up:

1. Dangerfield - AA at guard ( senior )
2. Megan Walker - exponentially improving player at Forward ( junior )- AA potential
3. Williams - exponentially improving player at guard( sophomore.) - AA potential
4. ONO - we imagine how she will develop and start at the post ( sophomore).- AA potential.
5. Big question mark here. Is Ossining recruit good enough to start? Unlikely. So who does?

Let's say it is Coombs. That leaves the following bench;

1. Kyla
2. Molly
3. The Ossining freshman
4. Lexi ( have to wonder if she will choose to remain )

I don't know what Batouly's status is, or what eligibility remains. But she is injured again. Doesn't seem like she can be relied upon as a full time player. Now or next year ( if eligible )

It is very possible that the following will occur in the subsequent year:

1. Batouly will be done
2. Molly , Kyla, And Dangerfield will be graduated.
3. Lexi basically does not exist, whether she remains or not.

That leaves Megan, ONO, Williams, Coombs and the Ossining recruit as the entire team, depending upon next season's recruiting success.

I think this is a big problem for UONN. Geno and CD have done everything imaginable and made history for UCONN. But do they wish to begin again? Do the Lady Huskies have to deal with a coaching change in the near future ( 2-3 years ) as well?

So here is the message; we have an exciting team to watch this year. Brimming with great players. And loaded with growth and maturity opportunities for some outstanding young women. Just enjoy it and leave the details to UCONN. If Megan and Williams begin playing like AA's this year ( entirely possible ) this team will be hard to touch.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, the SNY team made a not so subtle pitch for graduate transfers during the game tonight, indicating that they had spoken with Geno and he was receptive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, the SNY team made a not so subtle pitch for graduate transfers during the game tonight, indicating that they had spoken with Geno and he was receptive.
Speaking of graduate transfers Danni Williams dropped 22 for Texas tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom