So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class> | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class>

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm sure the recruiting watchers will be looking for any sign of partisanship.....

Since Sam, Anaya and Alli are already on the "Dome" side, I'm sure folks will be seeing how Paige takes all this in. ;) The McGraw's Bench posters who are also season ticket holders have the section where recruits/families sit memorized, so I'm sure we'll hear reports during/after the game.

Reaction Score
UConn will be ok. I expect a fine 2020 class. I still don't understand, however, why Uconn did not offer Aimhere. I think UConn could have had her.

Reaction Score
UConn will be ok. I expect a fine 2020 class. I still don't understand, however, why Uconn did not offer Aimhere. I think UConn could have had her.

Amihere is freakishly athletic, and strong for her build. While she has the potential to be a great player. as of right now she is extremely raw. The stuff she gets away with now, she will not get away with at the next level. Her upside is intriguing, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
This year's team will go as far as Collier and KLS can carry them.....if you haven't noticed they are both seniors.......next year's team will certainly be talented but losing those two players without any new help at their positions leaves a group that will be challenged to defend, rebound and score points inside and out....Kyla Irwin or possibly the oft injured Batouly Camara (if she chooses to come back) are wonderful student athletes but not my ideal as a starting forward next season.....bottom line.....UConn flat our failed to recruit a player to fill either of those two roles.....I will certainly hope for the best but am I supposed to be pleased about that?

Hope you feel better now, seems like Geno knows what he is doing HEHE

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since Sam, Anaya and Alli are already on the "Dome" side, I'm sure folks will be seeing how Paige takes all this in. ;) The McGraw's Bench posters who are also season ticket holders have the section where recruits/families sit memorized, so I'm sure we'll hear reports during/after the game.

Paige got a nice eyeful. Freshman can play and be great in Geno's system.

Reaction Score
And class of '20 and '21 recruits have to know there is going to be so much playing time up for grabs if they come to UConn. We lose KLS and Collier this year, and Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla, and Bent graduate in 2020.

Reaction Score
Hope you feel better now, seems like Geno knows what he is doing HEHE

I've been a consistent CW fan for several years now.................check my past posts....................as I said next year's team will be talented but if you think they could beat this same ND team without Collier and KLS, I think you would be incorrect.........

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I've been a consistent CW fan for several years now.......check my past posts.....as I said next year's team will be talented but if you think they could beat this same ND team without Collier and KLS, I think you would be incorrect....

Someone on McGraw's Bench referred to Collier as "frustratingly good" and that was an apt description on how Irish defenders must've felt when she kept hitting that fade-away.

And then, when Irish fans got what they hoped for -- Collier in foul trouble -- KLS stepped up, scoring all her points in the second half.

That's what teammates do...step up when needed. Well played.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Sure they can (and did). I've been watching and admiring UConn since the 90's so I've seen examples of it. Ms. Williams is certainly a fine example of it. Learned something at the ND presser afterwards...MM said ND had been recruiting Williams early on.

BTW, besides Paige and Azzi, wing Maddie Westbeld (if that name sounds familiar, yes, it's Kat's sister) and 2021 PG Adriana Wiggins from Indianapolis were also there taking in the game. And of course, signnees Brunelle and Peoples and 2020 commit Alli Campbell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone on McGraw's Bench referred to Collier as "frustratingly good" and that was an apt description on how Irish defenders must've felt when she kept hitting that fade-away.

And then, when Irish fans got what they hoped for -- Collier in foul trouble -- KLS stepped up, scoring all her points in the second half.

That's what teammates do...step up when needed. Well played.
And a smart adjustment helped lead to that. KLS was getting swallowed up in traffic and couldn't get the ball. So they started putting Dangerfield on the wing some and had KLS initiate the offense from the top with the ball coming off the high pick with some options and got her into the flow.

Reaction Score
And a smart adjustment helped lead to that. KLS was getting swallowed up in traffic and couldn't get the ball. So they started putting Dangerfield on the wing some and had KLS initiate the offense from the top with the ball coming off the high pick with some options and got her into the flow.
Such a simple but smart move. KLS often has a 5-6" height advantage and is gold 10 feet from basket. Get the ball to her this close in isn't rocket science but great way to get her in flow when needed.

Reaction Score
I've been a consistent CW fan for several years now.......check my past posts.....as I said next year's team will be talented but if you think they could beat this same ND team without Collier and KLS, I think you would be incorrect....

I don't understand your point. Notre Dame loses four starters after this year. Every team loses players to graduation, not just UConn. The question for next year will a UConn without Lou and Pheesa be able to beat a ND team that loses Turner, Mabery, Arike and Shepard.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your point. Notre Dame loses four starters after this year. Every team loses players to graduation, not just UConn. The question for next year will a UConn without Lou and Pheesa be able to beat a ND team that loses Turner, Mabery, Arike and Shepard.
And I would say yes.

Reaction Score

no I said "this same ND team" as in the team from last night............ND will be down next year but other teams will be much improved Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina, Tennessee etc................UConn will have four talented starters but they will need to replace about 38 points per game along with about 15 rebounds without a big forward of any repute and a paper thin bench where an injury to any of the four would also be disastrous

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Such a simple but smart move. KLS often has a 5-6" height advantage and is gold 10 feet from basket. Get the ball to her this close in isn't rocket science but great way to get her in flow when needed.

Good insight on both your parts. In my mind, what made this most impressive was that KLS hit some of her best shots while being guarded by Brianna Turner, who is every bit as tall as KLS and was right on her on at least two tough shots that I can think of (the baseliner was the dagger).

ND's zone was most effective in the 2nd quarter...it took the air out the game and led to a lot of congestion. Surprised MM just let it go in the third...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good insight on both your parts. In my mind, what made this most impressive was that KLS hit some of her best shots while being guarded by Brianna Turner, who is every bit as tall as KLS and was right on her on at least two tough shots that I can think of (the baseliner was the dagger).

ND's zone was most effective in the 2nd quarter...it took the air out the game and led to a lot of congestion. Surprised MM just let it go in the third...

Two baskets that may have been impossible last year with her ankle situation.

Reaction Score
Uconn will definitely be able to offer playing time to recruits. Something that wasn't much of a guarantee in past. Lol

Reaction Score
Should Natalija Marshall, 6'5", of Christ the King in New York, be seen as a natural for UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Should Natalija Marshall, 6'5", of Christ the King in New York, be seen as a natural for UConn?
Depends what you mean by " natural" fit. She visited UCONN recently and was not offered as best we can tell. Gusters of the same class '20 was offered and DeBerry one class behind "21 was also offered by UCONN.

Reaction Score
Uconn will definitely be able to offer playing time to recruits. Something that wasn't much of a guarantee in past. Lol
ND as well. I believe they are kind of in our situation. Losing a lot but not really replacing at the same rate. Should be some big recruiting battles between Geno and Muffet for 2020 and 2021.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Depends what you mean by " natural" fit. She visited UCONN recently and was not offered as best we can tell. Gusters of the same class '20 was offered and DeBerry one class behind "21 was also offered by UCONN.

Ms. Marshall attended the recruitapalooza out at South Bend in Fall 2017 and to the best of my knowledge and other ND recruit watchers, there has been contact and we like to call "mutual interest" since then.

By contrast, there is not "mutual interest" between Ms. Gusters and ND, but ND has been keeping tabs on Ms. DeBerry, but have no knowledge of her heading to South Bend.

Should be an interesting next two years on the recruiting front....;)

Reaction Score
UConn's ability to recruit top ten talent is legendary.................past performance is great but looking forward the big question is how is UConn going to successfully recruit at least 3-4 top 2020 recruits.................exactly how many offers does Geno need to make to get that yield while still getting the kind of players he wants.................if he only offers Bueckers and Van Lith he stands a decent chance of getting shut out at point guard, if he only offers Gusters and Marshall the same for big forward......................what to do, what to do................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn's ability to recruit top ten talent is legendary.......past performance is great but looking forward the big question is how is UConn going to successfully recruit at least 3-4 top 2020 recruits.......exactly how many offers does Geno need to make to get that yield while still getting the kind of players he wants.......if he only offers Bueckers and Van Lith he stands a decent chance of getting shut out at point guard, if he only offers Gusters and Marshall the same for big forward.......what to do, what to do......
All important questions that I will worry about as soon as this season is over. As for right now, UConn is the unanimous #1 team in the nation after thrashing the reigning national champions, and previous unanimous #1 team on their home court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom