So what happened to all the Big XII talk? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So what happened to all the Big XII talk?

Reaction Score
As I’ve said before—It’s all coming down to Aug 31 —UConn vs NCt is the very first televised game played in the new season. (I’ve heard preview shows say “only x days to kickoff at 7:30 when UConn plays NCSt in the first game of the 2023 season”). Lots of eyeballs on us. We either come out strong and get some naysayers giving us grudging props —or we fall flat and ratify their opinions.
We better be ready— both the team and the fans. An empty stadium will also be a terrible look.
Got to seize the opportunity. Herb Brooks time:

"Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players — every one of you, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As I’ve said before—It’s all coming down to Aug 31 —UConn vs NCt is the very first televised game played in the new season. (I’ve heard preview shows say “only x days to kickoff at 7:30 when UConn plays NCSt in the first game of the 2023 season”). Lots of eyeballs on us. We either come out strong and get some naysayers giving us grudging props —or we fall flat and ratify their opinions.
We better be ready— both the team and the fans. An empty stadium will also be a terrible look.
Nos,

Thursday before Labor Day games have always been poorly attended, even in the days that we packed the house the remainder of the season.

For this reason alone I don't mind opening the season on the road. We just need to be better prepared than we were two years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While I absolutely want us to win that game, obviously, it reminds me of our head-to-head matchup with the Louisville that some people said would determine who gets into the ACC. We won that game, but lost the realignment slot.

Reaction Score
it reminds me of our head-to-head matchup with the Louisville that some people said would determine who gets into the ACC. We won that game, but lost the realignment slot.
Winning either the NC St (or Louisville) game is/was still an important marker, but something tells me that AD Benedict is a heck of a lot more Machiavellian in the way he’s approaching the BigXII kabuki dance than Warde Manuel ever was with the ACC.

CL82

Reaction Score
Winning either the NC St (or Louisville) game is/was still an important marker, but something tells me that AD Benedict is a heck of a lot more Machiavellian in the way he’s approaching the BigXII kabuki dance than Warde Manuel ever was with the ACC.
I don't know if Benedict is more Machiavellian, but he appears to be putting in the work under the radar rather than sipping piña colada's in the Virgin Islands.

I have a healthy skepticism about all of this because…. CR Rule#1..., but I do appreciate the quiet businesslike way Dave seems to be approaching things.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Punching NC State in the mouth on opening football day will go a long way towards our P5 invitation.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Benedict is more Machiavellian.
Benedict has been smartly copying the playbook of former Vanderbilt AD Bernard Machiavelli who in 1932 was masterful in convincing the SEC to invite what is still the smallest—and only private school—in the conference, and interestingly, in the face of lots of detractors who questioned their P-5 cred.

Reaction Score
Don’t think it will make a difference in CR. A win might help public perception and media temporarily.
Correct take. It’s merely a temporary blip in public perception. I wouldn’t have much confidence in conference and university leadership who based significant financial decisions on the outcome of one game.

Or, Appalachian State is getting ready to accept their Big 10 invite.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree because the decision will have already been announced by then if it is gonna happen. If not, there will be no announcement.
From your lips to Gods ears, I hope you are right!

I’m so sick of every freaking metric meaning we belong or don’t belong in P5.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Benedict has been smartly copying the playbook of former Vanderbilt AD Bernard Machiavelli who in 1932 was masterful in convincing the SEC to invite what is still the smallest—and only private school—in the conference, and interestingly, in the face of lots of detractors who questioned their P-5 cred.
Is that a good thing? They don't want the next Vandy.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts and some rehashing.

While Warde Manuel’s untimely piña colada trip was a PR disaster, it made no difference in the ACC’s choice in 2012. He could have been vacationing in Mars or on Swofford’s front door in boot licking stance, the ACC was still going to add Louisville.

A lot of people, including the crooked self-important slime himself, thought Tom Jurich was somehow a genius for getting the ACC invite. I can’t help laughing just thinking about it. This was 2012, not 1932 when Vanderbilt tried to get into the SEC. Pretty much all that is known about UConn and Louisville was readily available to Swofford and the ACC presidents. Florida St. and Clemson forced the ACC’s hands to not add another northeastern school. All Jurich had to do was let the ACC know they were interested and provide some lame presentation where they made believe that Louisville would improve their academics, so that the North Carolina and Virginia schools would be able to vote in favor without holding their noses too much, and maintain their infantile grudge against UConn. If anything, they voted for Louisville’s inclusion in spite of Jurich, figuring he would be fired soon enough anyway.

I still maintain that UConn was the better choice by far, and that Louisville’s selection was short-sighted, at best. Even so, Dave Benedict, as AD, would not have been able to get UConn in the ACC at that time.

Moving forward to today, I believe that Benedict is better for UConn in getting a Big 12 invite. He has enthusiastically indicated to the powers that be in the Big 12 of their interest. Unlike 2012, when UConn was well within the footprint of the ACC, that is not the case now for the Big 12. But in the current climate where conferences are becoming more super regional or national, Benedict made the case that having a New England and New York market is valuable, a point that Yormark seems to share.

But Benedict is not overdoing it. There is nothing more for him to sell. Unfortunately, an invite may still depend on circumstances that hinge on what happens with the PAC media deal and its aftermath. So “Rule #1” may still rear its ugly head. But there is at least interest with the Big 12, since I don’t see Yormark wasting his time meeting with UConn representatives if there was no interest.

If it does come down to a 50/50 situation where UConn may be invited to the Big 12, Benedict is more likely to push them over the top than Manuel could.

Reaction Score
It’s not that Jurich was a genius and Manuel naive, but UConn was penciled in when Maryland left and it was Pat Forde who called his buddy Jurich and urged him to push Louisville as better meeting the football needs of Clemson and Fla St (who were making noise about leaving the basketball centric ACC conference.) Timing being everything, three years prior we had all the football momentum (24-15 and 3 Bowl games) while Louisville was awful (15-21 with no Bowls under pathetic Steve Kragthorpe. So yes, by the time Maryland left we were lousy and Louisville had a good run.
Now, it’s our turn. We have a formidable coach in Jim Mora—a seasoned AD ready for prime time in Benedict, great facilities, a valuable market (especially to Yormark—who has the smarts and confidence of his flock to sell them on UConn and his “manifest destiny” vision of the BIGXII). This is by far our best shot at P-5. The stars are aligning.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s not that Jurich was a genius and Manuel naive, but UConn was penciled in when Maryland left and it was Pat Forde who called his buddy Jurich and urged him to push Louisville as better meeting the football needs of Clemson and Fla St (who were making noise about leaving the basketball centric ACC conference.) Timing being everything, three years prior we had all the football momentum (24-15 and 3 Bowl games) while Louisville was awful (15-21 with no Bowls under pathetic Steve Kragthorpe. So yes, by the time Maryland left we were lousy and Louisville had a good run.
Now, it’s our turn. We have a formidable coach in Jim Mora—a seasoned AD ready for prime time in Benedict, great facilities, a valuable market (especially to Yormark—who has the smarts and confidence of his flock to sell them on UConn and his “manifest destiny” vision of the BIGXII). This is by far our best shot at P-5. The stars are aligning.
Easy there hoss...
Korean Drama Wow GIF by iQiyi

Reaction Score
P-5 cred in 1932???

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed. We all need to start lining up people willing to go to the NC State game for free because I'm sure AD Dave will be papering the house.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We all need to start lining up people willing to go to the NC State game for free because I'm sure AD Dave will be papering the house.
Ill probably pick up tickets for the NC State game. Having kids, i wish they had thia game on a Friday OR THE SCHOOLS in CT pushed back their 1st day. They usually have 1st day of school this Thursday with school on Friday. Makes it hard when you don't want your kid to pick up absence the 2nd day of school.

Reaction Score
Ill probably pick up tickets for the NC State game. Having kids, i wish they had thia game on a Friday OR THE SCHOOLS in CT pushed back their 1st day. They usually have 1st day of school this Thursday with school on Friday. Makes it hard when you don't want your kid to pick up absence the 2nd day of school.
starting school on Thursday??!?!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom