So what happened to all the Big XII talk? | The Boneyard

So what happened to all the Big XII talk?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
all I'm hearing about now is SDSU, Colorado and whatever is going with the Pac XII.
That is good for us. The more public things become, the less likelihood of a move. Remember, 4 new schools just got in. They need their flowers and get integrated before next steps which include UConn imho..

Reaction Score
all I'm hearing about now is SDSU, Colorado and whatever is going with the Pac XII.
1688322286601.gif

GG

Reaction Score
I believe the Big XII was a long shot for SDSU and they were always focused on the PAC. Colorado is digesting the TV deal. Stay tuned.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe the Big XII was a long shot for SDSU and they were always focused on the PAC. Colorado is digesting the TV deal. Stay tuned.
I kind of get the feeling that either the Pac 12 has nothing or it is strategically hiding what it does have. Neither one bodes well for it.

GG

Reaction Score
I kind of get the feeling that either the Pac 12 has nothing or it is strategically hiding what it does have. Neither one bodes well for it.
Apparently, whatever is on the table is not straightforward and will take a bit of time to digest.

Reaction Score
SDSU seems like a s-show and I don't think Yormark values improperly managed entities. They've done themselves no favors the past few weeks.

Reaction Score
SDSU seems like a s-show and I don't think Yormark values improperly managed entities. They've done themselves no favors the past few weeks.
The PAC is the s-show. George Jackmeoff or whatever his name is has been writing checks his backside can’t cash. SDSU apparently fell for the BS and got hung out to dry. They can’t get a nexus deal done (they just pushed the deadline back). Why would anybody stick around the PAC. UW and Oregon are just buying time and want to keep the titanic afloat just long enough for the B1G to come calling. The rest are going to have to merge into the MWC or coming begging the B12, which would be the ultimate irony.

Reaction Score
The PAC is the s-show. George Jackmeoff or whatever his name is has been writing checks his backside can’t cash. SDSU apparently fell for the BS and got hung out to dry. They can’t get a nexus deal done (they just pushed the deadline back). Why would anybody stick around the PAC. UW and Oregon are just buying time and want to keep the titanic afloat just long enough for the B1G to come calling. The rest are going to have to merge into the MWC or coming begging the B12, which would be the ultimate irony.
Agreed - the PAC has been poorly managed under the current and previous commissioners and so the buck stops with PAC Presidents as well.

And, yes, SDSU has managed its affairs poorly as well. They look like they are publicly desperate, lack vision, confidence, patience, judgement, etc. They have looked incompetent in the President's office and within their legal team. If you're Brett Yormark are you impressed by how they have looked the last few weeks? He even made a comment in the last week or so about how he's seeking schools that are well managed (not a direct quote/reference of his exact words) and in it (Big12 conference inclusion) for the right reasons and I think it was veiled reference to SDSU.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing either Yormark doesn't have the votes to add us now, or there's no partner to go with us at this time. We're 7 weeks out from the start of football season after which time no one is going to be focused on realignment until next spring when we'll do this dance again.

Reaction Score
In three weeks we should know something. PAC media day is July 21. That to me is the day to watch to see if CU bolts. I also think Yormark is looking to make a splash and just inviting us right now would be news but not huge news Inviting us and a couple PAC teams could seriously destabilize the PAC. That would be huge news

Reaction Score
The current PAC-12 reminds me of the old Big East in so many ways. The academic arrogance and this conference of champions delusion have really got to some of these Pac-12 president's heads. They made so many mistakes over the years.

- they had their chances to destroy the Big-12 when Texas and OU were looking at one time. Texas was a pain in the ass to deal with, but they could have added OU by itself. I knew some in the PAC-12 were too impressed with OU's academics.

- They had their picks of B12 teams like Kansas right where Texas and OU announced they were leaving. They didn't make a move cause USC blocked it, and some presidents didn't want to be associated with B12 schools due to academics.

- They could have added Boise State, BYU, SDSU, UNLV etc, but they decided none of these schools were worthy due to academics or religion.

PAC-12 is Titanic on its last legs. They will limping along for a few more years, and will blow up once OU and Washington get their golden ticket to the B1G

For the record, I predicted USC and UCLA to the B1G years ago. I know that would happen cause USC has been bitching about revenue for years prior.

Reaction Score
I also think if invited we’d be playing there in 24-25. Big East exit fees went down a few days ago and Big 12 just announced its new media deal being signed.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's not when we signed the contract, it's six years from when we joined which was July 1, 2020. So if we care about the exit fee being reduced from $30M to $15M (hint -- in the context of joining a P-5 conference we do not), we could not leave the Big East until summer of 2026.

Reaction Score
Given how much we currently make from tv rights, the BE exit fees over time, and how much we'd make from the Big12 it would seem to make sense that we could join for 2024-25 with say CO due to their supposed desires and flexibility of leaving the PAC, or be part of additions that occur for the 2025-26 season or thereafter. I think the bottom line is that given our current low tv revenues and the supposed full or more than half share we'd supposedly get that it makes sense to jump at any time the invite dictates.

Reaction Score
Would be ideal to time it for 15 million exit fee but getting in would be more important. Thinking beginning of new contract. Maybe announced at media days? Big XII BB is going to be the equivalent of the Premier league.

Reaction Score
The net of joining a year earlier might be more than 15 million especially if you can spread the payments. Guessing it is solving problems that don’t exist at this point. Would be a good problem to have IMO.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's not when we signed the contract, it's six years from when we joined which was July 1, 2020. So if we care about the exit fee being reduced from $30M to $15M (hint -- in the context of joining a P-5 conference we do not), we could not leave the Big East until summer of 2026.
From memory, I believe it's "six full seasons". Practically speaking, that probably is the same as "72 months" but I would want to look at it just to be sure.

CL82

Reaction Score
The net of joining a year earlier might be more than 15 million especially if you can spread the payments. Guessing it is solving problems that don’t exist at this point. Would be a good problem to have IMO.
Yep. The differential is $3.75M/yr for 4 years. Not a dealbreaker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom