So much pure gold here right now | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So much pure gold here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I get, terminating him would cost 800K after this season.

Bob Diaco - NCAA D1 Football Coaching Contracts

A look at Bob Diaco’s new contract

Buyouts: This is the concerning part for UConn fans. Assuming Diaco continues to succeed at UConn, it is only a matter of time before a bigger school comes calling. The bad news is that with this new contract, Diaco’s buyouts have actually dropped. His buyout between now and the end of this coming regular season remains at $700,000, but next year, it is just $350,000, down from $400,000 in his previous deal. The year after that, it’s $175,000 instead of $400,000. In 2019 and 2020 it will be $100,000 then $50,000.

Bad news? He made it cheaper for us!

Page 16 10.2 @Butch - not even close... http://adimeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/diaco-contract.pdf

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
If those termination clause is true, do you guys think Diaco is daring us to fire him? The way he is coaching I would not be surprised.

The only other prayer is some other team will hire him away. I hope there is another dumb team like Maryland out there when they hired Edsall.

We are screwed.

Reaction Score
We only won cause UVA kicker and coach handed us the game in the end. We had no business winning today's game coaching like that.

Why wait on Diaco? Why keep paying him learning how to be a HC on our dime? He is a great cheerleader but clearly over his head as a HC.

Both Maryland and UCF have new coaches with both looking much improved. We need to do the same ASAP. Diaco is not getting any better anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years but not now. Let him learn how to coach at a FCS school. We need a coach like Frost badly.

Hey, West Coast Husky, how much are you pledging to pay off the buy out of our present coach? Perhaps you and Butch can spearhead this effort. Shouldn't take more than a week or two raise the necessary funds.

Reaction Score
Hey, West Coast Husky, how much are you pledging to pay off the buy out of our present coach? Perhaps you and Butch can spearhead this effort. Shouldn't take more than a week or two raise the necessary funds.
You're willing to contribute? I already backed off. Good luck with spearheading.

Reaction Score

How much are you planning to pledge?

I just read the contract. The only other way is if he is hired away, declared incapable by a physician, or committed some kind of crime. The only realistic way is if someone is dumb enough to hire him away. RU?

There are other ways. We can fire the OC. Benedict can hire a new OC thats not related to Diaco and take the offense play calling away from Diaco.

Reaction Score
RU fans speak of him so highly. Let's get them on the bandwagon!

We must speak highly of him from here on.

Reaction Score
I think I'm flashing back to the same bull dung arguments with PP. The football product is undeniably poor to anyone with an objective eye. The excuses and rationalizations are ridiculous in year 3. My only hope is they flip a switch and get markedly better with these game reps. Crush the fruit.

Reaction Score
I think I'm flashing back to the same bull dung arguments with PP. The football product is undeniably poor to anyone with an objective eye. The excuses and rationalizations are ridiculous in year 3. My only hope is they flip a switch and get markedly better with these game reps. Crush the fruit.

I'll give Diaco credit for eliminating the poisonous culture that existed during the P years and getting strength and conditioning on track.

He's bad a just about everything else, and showing no signs of getting better.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If you post a thread on this board that you know is going to provoke responses that make you angry you are neither dispassionate or rational in that moment. Especially if you were having a good day prior to that.
Well, there is that. Maybe he's 'rabidly' rational and dispassionate?

Reaction Score
If one more person says "hey we just beat an ACC team" my head is going to explode. Conferences mean jack 2h1t in terms of how a particular team is in any given year and you're just playing into the mythical P5/G5 divide.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
There has been anger directed at the coaching staff because occasionally it appears most of us could do a better job than they do in certain isolated situations.

But we're making progress. All is well.

I still think Diaco needs to hire a regular fan to follow him around and give him advice in the last two minutes of each half.

Reaction Score
What I would ask after a game like that is, would people feel differently if we had won 42-38? Because it seems like there is a sharp lean towards offense on this board, which, while understandable, doesn't actually amount to anything other than a preference...and I think that, while the results have been mixed, at best, there is an entertainment and aesthetics component that I think is causing people to overstate how disappointing the results have been.

You also have to keep things like regression in mind. Virginia was -6 in their first two and a +1 today. UConn, IIRC, had sort of an unsustainable turnover differential last year and it has come back to the middle this season (they are a -3, I believe). Those things are part of football, but when you take a handful of plays that swing the win expectancy to such an extreme and concentrate them in one direction over a short period of time, it can skew progress.

The first three games taken collectively can and should be characterized as disappointing. But progress isn't linear, and perhaps, the fact that a few fluky plays here and there last season vaulted us ahead of schedule blinded some of you to how much work still had to be done. Add a couple crazy plays - maybe a special teams touchdown, a defensive touchdown, an onside kick... - to the mix a couple weeks from now in Houston, and it doesn't necessarily make us a drastically better team than we are now.

Last thing: we're UConn. Maybe that's a defeatist mentality, but it is what it is...we're a New England school trying compete in a sport that makes few inroads in this part of the country. Look at Syracuse, look at Rutgers, look at BC, just look at the entire ACC team in general - one half of the conference plays like the SEC and the other like the old Big East. It's fine to boast big dreams, but that doesn't change the bar...and the way the bar has been set at UConn, if you consistently get to bowl games and occasionally contend for the AAC division title, that's good enough.

Right now, they're on that track. And with a lot of guys hopefully returning, who knows what next season could bring? If you show up to the Rent expecting to see UConn basketball, you're going to leave disappointed. The rest will be content with grind-it-out wins over similarly handicapped teams from the north, because, hey, even if we used that once-in-a-lifetime lottery ticket already on Calhoun, it's still a lot of fun to watch a group of kids that work their ass off and proudly wear the jersey compete against peer institutions like UVA, Syracuse, BC, etc.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If one more person says "hey we just beat an ACC team" my head is going to explode. Conferences mean jack 2h1t in terms of how a particular team is in any given year and you're just playing into the mythical P5/G5 divide.

The ACC is nothing special talent-wise. But it's fun to beat them because I hate them.

Reaction Score
What I would ask after a game like that is, would people feel differently if we had won 42-38? Because it seems like there is a sharp lean towards offense on this board, which, while understandable, doesn't actually amount to anything other than a preference...and I think that, while the results have been mixed, at best, there is an entertainment and aesthetics component that I think is causing people to overstate how disappointing the results have been.

You also have to keep things like regression in mind. Virginia was -6 in their first two and a +1 today. UConn, IIRC, had sort of an unsustainable turnover differential last year and it has come back to the middle this season (they are a -3, I believe). Those things are part of football, but when you take a handful of plays that swing the win expectancy to such an extreme and concentrate them in one direction over a short period of time, it can skew progress.

The first three games taken collectively can and should be characterized as disappointing. But progress isn't linear, and perhaps, the fact that a few fluky plays here and there last season vaulted us ahead of schedule blinded some of you to how much work still had to be done. Add a couple crazy plays - maybe a special teams touchdown, a defensive touchdown, an onside kick... - to the mix a couple weeks from now in Houston, and it doesn't necessarily make us a drastically better team than we are now.

Last thing: we're UConn. Maybe that's a defeatist mentality, but it is what it is...we're a New England school trying compete in a sport that makes few inroads in this part of the country. Look at Syracuse, look at Rutgers, look at BC, just look at the entire ACC team in general - one half of the conference plays like the SEC and the other like the old Big East. It's fine to boast big dreams, but that doesn't change the bar...and the way the bar has been set at UConn, if you consistently get to bowl games and occasionally contend for the AAC division title, that's good enough.

Right now, they're on that track. And with a lot of guys hopefully returning, who knows what next season could bring? If you show up to the Rent expecting to see UConn basketball, you're going to leave disappointed. The rest will be content with grind-it-out wins over similarly handicapped teams from the north, because, hey, even if we used that once-in-a-lifetime lottery ticket already on Calhoun, it's still a lot of fun to watch a group of kids that work their ass off and proudly wear the jersey compete against peer institutions like UVA, Syracuse, BC, etc.
Competent football. That's all. That is what we can build on. Not Diaco's stupid exoticisms.

People say we can't aim high? What the heck was Oregon not too long ago?

Reaction Score
Cal 35 Texas 33 at the half. It is a fun game to watch. Will it happen at UConn? Not with Diaco as the HC. All we are looking for is competent coaching and football. We are not getting either.

Reaction Score
Competent football. That's all. That is what we can build on. Not Diaco's stupid exoticisms.

Exactly. If we got shut out by a great defense but looked competent doing so, it'd be a different story. But we are a disaster on offense and have been for a long time now.

Reaction Score

2-1 seems competent, no? Trust me, I get it...Diaco is frustrating as hell because he appears incompetent in certain facets of the game. But is he actually incompetent, or are his flaws just way more aggressive than the flaws of an average close? As I said last week, it's the Andy Reid syndrome...it's why you can win ten games in the NFL for a decade and a half straight and still be chased out of town.

Nobody says you can't aim high. And if a change is needed, I imagine one will be made. Right now, I believe people are jumping the gun.

Reaction Score
2-1 seems competent, no? Trust me, I get it...Diaco is frustrating as hell because he appears incompetent in certain facets of the game. But is he actually incompetent, or are his flaws just way more aggressive than the flaws of an average close? As I said last week, it's the Andy Reid syndrome...it's why you can win ten games in the NFL for a decade and a half straight and still be chased out of town.

Nobody says you can't aim high. And if a change is needed, I imagine one will be made. Right now, I believe people are jumping the gun.

It's year 3 and our offense is completely miserable. There are a bunch of red flags flying right now.

Reaction Score
It's year 3 and our offense is completely miserable. There are a bunch of red flags flying right now.

I don't disagree that there are red flags, but there are also flags of the opposite color. Given where we've been, I find people lumping Diaco in with P to be a bit ridiculous.

We need to wait. If the offense does not improve, Verduci may be gone at the end of the season...and if we go two straight years without a bowl, Diaco may follow. I just don't understand the urge to call for the hospice team at this stage in the game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This team was 2-10 two years ago.

If they had gone 4 - 8 (which they arguably should have) last year....would everyone be still grabbing the pitch forks?
We arguably could have been 8-4 or 9-3 last year as well so it goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom