So much pure gold here right now | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So much pure gold here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite the high scoring affair I imagine ;)

At least it is entertaining to watch. UCF is hanging in there. They are much improved just by hiring Scott Frost. Meanwhile, we got Diaco who is 43 going on 70 with his conservative play calling.

Reaction Score
I was glad they didn't have a TO on that last drive...

Those were just small samples of head scratcher play calls. It is almost like Bob is watching a different game we were all watching.

Reaction Score
Well you can always flip over and watch Navy beating Tulane 21-14

I was watching Navy vs. Tulane. Watching Maryland vs. UCF is much more entertaining. It is sad Scott Frost is already looking better as a GC and that's his first time as a HC.

Reaction Score
I was watching Navy vs. Tulane. Watching Maryland vs. UCF is much more entertaining. It is sad Scott Frost is already looking better as a GC and that's his first time as a HC.
That's because Frost knows you win a game by scoring points.

Reaction Score
They did. They burned it earlier in the drive. They should have had none to start that drive.

Yeah... I went back and read what you wrote and misread it originally.

Reaction Score
That's because Frost knows you win a game by scoring points.

Diaco is allergic to scoring points. He can make New Britain High look like Bama if playing against UConn.

Btw, Frost just went for it with game tied 17-17 inside his own 20 with 3 mins left. UCF went for it and got it vs. giving the ball back to Maryland with a chance to win with some clock. Would Diaco ever do that? Not in a million years. Diaco coaches not to lose vs going for the W.

Reaction Score
If Diaco doesn't get them bowling this year, he better not start 1-3 next year.

A loss to Syracuse makes it hard to imagine winning 6 games this year.

This win was telling and felt like a loss.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt there are some simple strategies that elude this staff at this point.

That kind of stuff doesn't seem that hard to fix to me.

When you hire a first time head coach you deal with some growing pains. It isn't ideal - but when you compare it to the P era... there is an enthusiasm and energy a first time head coach brings that has value too.
Problem is it cost them a game last week, and it almost cost them a game this week.

If we are truly at a talent disadvantage like many on this board say, we can't afford to be at a coaching disadvantage every week due to bone head coaching mistakes.

Has this guy done some good things? No doubt. But he seems incapable of identifying where he messes up and adjusting. He did get the plays in sooner this week so maybe there is hope but why the take so long in the first place?

Reaction Score
If Diaco doesn't get them bowling this year, he better not start 1-3 next year.

A loss to Syracuse makes it hard to imagine winning 6 games this year.

This win was telling and felt like a loss.

We only won cause UVA kicker and coach handed us the game in the end. We had no business winning today's game coaching like that.

Why wait on Diaco? Why keep paying him learning how to be a HC on our dime? He is a great cheerleader but clearly over his head as a HC.

Both Maryland and UCF have new coaches with both looking much improved. We need to do the same ASAP. Diaco is not getting any better anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years but not now. Let him learn how to coach at a FCS school. We need a coach like Frost badly.

Reaction Score
Someone said it before, he's a dumb jock. That sums up his persona and game intelligence.

It's not like we are 2-1 because of Diaco. We should be 1-2 at best.

Reaction Score
Who in the holy hell do people think UConn should be judged against?

How about Rutgers, Boston College and Syracuse. They have every advantage in the world - and I bet they would love to be 2-1 after beating Virginia.

I'm not even through page 1 yet, and I applaud you at the trolling effort. Hand clap.

Reaction Score
If you think it's miserable to beat an ACC team more power to you. If they punched in last week would it miserable at 3-0 too?

Would one yard make it not miserable play?

I was pretty miserable when it was 10 to 3 and for f---king ever, and we couldn't do anything on the field.

Reaction Score
Eeking out a win against a horrible ACC team that hasn't won a road game in four years and has a first year coach, I thought we'd be further along in year 3.

I expected to compete for the division title, at least be in the mix. Doesn't look like we're there. Just get back to a bowl game and keep momentum going. Everyone knows this Coach ain't going anywhere even if we don't win another game.

I thought we'd be further along than we were 3 weeks ago, when we played Maine. Now I know where we are.

Reaction Score
I don't think you know how contracts work....

Lol...I wrote meat of bunch of corporate contracts and I am not even an attorney.

It will be costly to fire Diaco, but long term damage to UConn during this realignment period will be much bigger by keeping him around. He gonna take us to the gutter if he does not change soon.

Reaction Score
A look at Bob Diaco’s new contract

Buyouts: This is the concerning part for UConn fans. Assuming Diaco continues to succeed at UConn, it is only a matter of time before a bigger school comes calling. The bad news is that with this new contract, Diaco’s buyouts have actually dropped. His buyout between now and the end of this coming regular season remains at $700,000, but next year, it is just $350,000, down from $400,000 in his previous deal. The year after that, it’s $175,000 instead of $400,000. In 2019 and 2020 it will be $100,000 then $50,000.

Bad news? He made it cheaper for us!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are not recruiting at a BCS level anymore and overall coaching needs to mature.

Do you believe that it's the recruiting? I don't. I think that the OLine isn't playing up to what they could be.

So what do I attribute the problem to, you might ask? Well, we haven't had a good run attack since 2011. Coincidentally, it was the same year as the last year that Mike Foley ran the OLine. I'm sure someone will tell me a little anecdote about Cummings coaching Erik Fisher for the 89th time. But my eyes aren't lying...

#whereisFoley

Reaction Score
I didn't predict 8 wins. What I did expect is that, three years into the current regime, we would be better than a three point home win against one of the worst teams in the country, and needing a blown 20 yard field goal and a gift from the opposing coach to get that 3 point win.

Virginia is far from being one of the worst teams in the country. Please get some perspective.

Reaction Score
Whaler11 is a rational, dispassionate fan. Whether or not you think that's an oxymoron, he's probably better off than a lot of us because of it. And, of course, he's right. For me, if I'm going to argue one week that the eye test was better than the score, I have to accept the next week when the opposite is true. I'll count the wins/losses when the season's over. For now, I just want to feel good watching them play. I've seen flashes so far but I really did think they were further along.

If you post a thread on this board that you know is going to provoke responses that make you angry you are neither dispassionate or rational in that moment. Especially if you were having a good day prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom