So much pure gold here right now | Page 6 | The Boneyard

So much pure gold here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that there are red flags, but there are also flags of the opposite color. Given where we've been, I find people lumping Diaco in with P to be a bit ridiculous.

We need to wait. If the offense does not improve, Verduci may be gone at the end of the season...and if we go two straight years without a bowl, Diaco may follow. I just don't understand the urge to call for the hospice team at this stage in the game.

Because it's year three and many things have not gotten better. The offense isn't better and game management isn't better. We haven't returned a punt in two years.

We're not asking for the moon. We're asking for an average offense.

Reaction Score
Competent football. That's all. That is what we can build on. Not Diaco's stupid exoticisms.

People say we can't aim high? What the heck was Oregon not too long ago?
Any alumni on this board interested in launching an apparel juggernaut in the coming months?

Reaction Score
Spoke to a friend of mine who's a huge ND fan and pretty dialed in to their fanbase, apparently a lot of them want Diaco back and are hoping an opportunity arises for him to return as their DC.

Reaction Score
Spoke to a friend of mine who's a huge ND fan and pretty dialed in to their fanbase, apparently a lot of them want Diaco back and are hoping an opportunity arises for him to return as their DC.
Buyout prices were posted. Pass the word on...

Reaction Score

Would love to see ND hire him back. Both of us can use a fresh start.

Reaction Score
Check Article 11.2 for info on his buyout, if someone like ND wants to hire him. It would cost ND $350,000 to buy him out as of 11/27/2016.

Reaction Score
Whaler's expectations, the best UConn can hope to be is like modern day Syracuse, BC and Pitt. To try and strive to be like Boise State, Stanford and a couple others is hubris and never a possibility, to try and strive to be like Penn State is the most absurd thing of all-time. I don't think this way and it pains me to think there are a lot of small-time thinking "Whaler's" out there. If Calhoun thought that way we would still be UMass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler's expectations, the best UConn can hope to be is like modern day Syracuse, BC and Pitt. To try and strive to be like Boise State, Stanford and a couple others is hubris and never a possibility, to try and strive to be like Penn State is the most absurd thing of all-time. I don't think this way and it pains me to think there are a lot of small-time thinking "Whaler's" out there. If Calhoun thought that way we would still be UMass.

Comparing building a football program to a basketball program. Check.

Misrepresent what I said. Check

All we need now are some references to Geno next and we are home free.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I like your optimism. However, there are teams that made coaching changes that had immediate impact. We are in year 3, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect some progress.
I agree. I try to make cases to say that we've improved. But then I look at the way we played under TJ and I say, "Well....what happened?"

Houston was also 21-17 under Levine. They've won 88 games in the past 10 years. It's a lot easier to rebuild a car with a broken bumper than to rebuild a car that was lit on fire, dropped from a 40 story building, and submerged in salt water for 100 years.

Reaction Score

If that is what you think Whaler is saying...not sure what to tell you.

Reaction Score
The first line in HCBD's pitch to any potential employer is that he took a team that was 3-9 to a bowl game in two years.

We can watch the games and find all sorts of problems, but that's a fact that can't be overlooked.

To quote other members of this board: progress isn't linear. We have crazies everywhere on The Boneyard. There is a contingent still of Fire KO on the men's board. The FB team is improving. HCBD is not where we want him to be, but I think he's getting better as well.

We're going in the right direction after 3 years of going in reverse.

Reaction Score
Right. Like he would go back to being a coordinator.

If the shoe fits, why not? He might be a great DC, but he is not a head coach right now. I would be happy if he implemented Kelly's offense here, but he decided to go with more coach PP's approach.

Reaction Score
I agree. I try to make cases to say that we've improved. But then I look at the way we played under TJ and I say, "Well....what happened?"
Let's remind ourselves that they beat a 2-10 Temple and a 3-9 Memphis. Neither was particularly impressive. Rutgers sucked, too, but went bowling and was a rivalry game.

They certainly looked better on the field than they did with PP, but that really isn't saying much.

Reaction Score
They have certainly had some bad moments.

They are also 2-1.

Call me crazy, but UConn isn't in a position to fire their football coach off a win against Virginia.
Is Diaco's game coaching suspect? Yes, of course, but I'll take a coach who can recruit, teach, let's his players play, and prepare his team, over an "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, coaching tyrant" anyday.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What I would ask after a game like that is, would people feel differently if we had won 42-38? Because it seems like there is a sharp lean towards offense on this board, which, while understandable, doesn't actually amount to anything other than a preference...and I think that, while the results have been mixed, at best, there is an entertainment and aesthetics component that I think is causing people to overstate how disappointing the results have been.
This is a really good point. However, I think the concern is that offense has always been a struggle for this program in the last 6 years or so. The defense, for the most part, has been able to hold its own during that span. Not saying they've been lights out every one of those years but they've been good. The offense, however, has not. Outside those last few games under Weist to end the last PP season, we haven't seen anything close to what resembles an offensive game plan. On top of that, we've seen time and again an O Line that's been run over, around, and through with relative ease. This trend is disturbing and one that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Plus, we haven't really faced a team with any sort of a decent offense all season. So I think the biggest concern is that we barely won against a bad team today and when we finally face a team with a decent offense, it's gonna be ugly because we can't keep up. Hopefully what we saw in the second half of the Navy game was more indicative of what this offense can do instead of what we saw yesterday and in the first half of the Navy and Maine games.....

Reaction Score
Let's remind ourselves that they beat a 2-10 Temple and a 3-9 Memphis. Neither was particularly impressive. Rutgers sucked, too, but went bowling and was a rivalry game.

They certainly looked better on the field than they did with PP, but that really isn't saying much.

They also gave Cochran a chance to play those games. Before that, they didn't really look better than when PP was coaching.

Reaction Score
This is a really good point. However, I think the concern is that offense has always been a struggle for this program in the last 6 years or so. The defense, for the most part, has been able to hold its own during that span. Not saying they've been lights out every one of those years but they've been good. The offense, however, has not. Outside those last few games under Weist to end the last PP season, we haven't seen anything close to what resembles an offensive game plan. On top of that, we've seen time and again an O Line that's been run over, around, and through with relative ease. This trend is disturbing and one that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Plus, we haven't really faced a team with any sort of a decent offense all season. So I think the biggest concern is that we barely won against a bad team today and when we finally face a team with a decent offense, it's gonna be ugly because we can't keep up. Hopefully what we saw in the second half of the Navy game was more indicative of what this offense can do instead of what we saw yesterday and in the first half of the Navy and Maine games.....

We will see Houston in a few weeks. This team is in for a rude awakening if things don't change quickly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We will see Houston in a few weeks. This team is in for a rude awakening if things don't change quickly.
Forget Houston, Syracuse put up over 500 yards of offense yesterday and over 400 last week. Anyone who thinks they won't try and replicate that next week is sorely mistaken.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks they won't try and replicate that next week is sorely mistaken

I don't. I think they will try to turn the ball over, and call HB dives to run as much clock as possible all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom