So is the roster for 2017-2018 complete? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So is the roster for 2017-2018 complete?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
But those guys have a different skill set. They are much better players at this point than whaley

That's why I said I'm not sure if he will contribute.

But it has nothing to do with him being 200 pounds. 6 of the top 10 rated forwards in the class are less than 200 pounds on Rivals...

Reaction Score
Whaley only weighs 200 pounds and probably overmatched for a while. If he ever contributes, it'll be sometime well down the road.

I've heard that Diarra is about 220 right now and Cobb is anywhere between 280 and 295, so that's some size there.

No real idea how big Carlton is - some places have him at 200 while Don Amore wrote that he was 235 pounds. (Amore may just make up weights...he's the one who has Cobb at 295 pounds.)
What's Amore weighing in at these days? 250? 265?

Reaction Score
That's why I said I'm not sure if he will contribute.

But it has nothing to do with him being 200 pounds. 6 of the top 10 rated forwards in the class are less than 200 pounds on Rivals...
Even the top rated ones will be over matched physically early on with guy's who've been in school longer. They'll adjust a lot quicker however

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Even the top rated ones will be over matched physically early on with guy's who've been in school longer. They'll adjust a lot quicker however

Larrier is about 8 to 10 pounds lighter at the same height, and we're expecting him to be our top scorer and top three rebounder.

Again, I'm not saying that he will or won't be overmatched. It just won't have anything to do with him being 200 pounds...

Reaction Score
Larrier is about 8 to 10 pounds lighter at the same height, and we're expecting him to be our top scorer and top three rebounder.

Again, I'm not saying that he will or won't be overmatched. It just won't have anything to do with him being 200 pounds...
Larrier has been on a college S&C program for almost 4 years. Body weight and strength aren't the same so if that's what you're getting at then okay but he will be over matched physically by players who've had professional strength coaching under their belt. Obviously

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's all about match-ups. Josh Jackson played the 4 for Kansas at under 200 or near it. But he had freakish athleticism and great instincts.

I think Larrier can play the 4 against most other stretch/undersized 4s. But against the bruiser type, he's going to have some problems. Cobb and Diarra look like our most physically imposing guys. I hope they can contribute quickly. I'm hoping the freshman can put on some muscle this summer and at least one or two progresses rapidly. That's all we can hope for.

Reaction Score
It's all about match-ups. Josh Jackson played the 4 for Kansas at under 200 or near it. But he had freakish athleticism and great instincts.

I think Larrier can play the 4 against most other stretch/undersized 4s. But against the bruiser type, he's going to have some problems. Cobb and Diarra look like our most physically imposing guys. I hope they can contribute quickly. I'm hoping the freshman can put on some muscle this summer and at least one or two progresses rapidly. That's all we can hope for.

Are there any "bruiser" types left? I think of Delgado from Seton Hall as an old school PF; but he's a rare beefy center in today's game.

Reaction Score
The "insiders" got nothin' for us hungry Husky fans?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Larrier has been on a college S&C program for almost 4 years. Body weight and strength aren't the same so if that's what you're getting at then okay but he will be over matched physically by players who've had professional strength coaching under their belt. Obviously

Uggh.

I'm not comparing him to Larrier. And yes, he may in fact be out-muscled by some at the forward position. But 200 pounds is a healthy weight for a young forward and is not a weight that screams, "I'm going to get pushed around". If he was 180, I'd probably be saying that I'm concerned he couldn't contribute right away either. But at 200, I'm expecting some rebounding...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Agreed. We are all hoping that the youngsters will hit the weight room and strengthen up and become monsters on the boards. But I guess put me in the camp that thinks that this kid has a body type that can contribute sooner rather than later...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how hard it is to put on 25-30 lbs. of pure muscle in 6 months, let alone a year? Especially when these guys do the amount of cardio and running that they do. It's difficult.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how hard it is to put on 25-30 lbs. of pure muscle in 6 months, let alone a year? Especially when these guys do the amount of cardio and running that they do. It's difficult.

It's just simply not possible.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Who's asking someone to put on 25-30 pounds of muscle?

Just want to sort out who you are responding to. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. I'm saying if he was 180 instead of 200, I would be concerned. And the concern would be precisely because of what you've just typed; that it is damned near impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle in 6 months...

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Who's asking someone to put on 25-30 pounds of muscle?

Just want to sort out who you are responding to. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. I'm saying if he was 180 instead of 200, I would be concerned. And the concern would be precisely because of what you've just typed; that it is damned near impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle in 6 months...
A common discussion topic on the basketball board is off-season weight training.

A lot of people think that "eating 6 meals and lifting every day" will make a 180lb forward turn into Jeff Adrien, which you concur with me is simply not possible. Just highlighting the inaccuracy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When JC was coaching, every year we had guys that picked up 25 pounds of "solid muscle". I remember reading that here all the time. Now it's impossible?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
When JC was coaching, every year we had guys that picked up 25 pounds of "solid muscle". I remember reading that here all the time. Now it's impossible?
Probably just fabricated stories for the press just to up their weight on the roster.

Unless they didn't lift in high school, you can maybe put on 1-2 lbs. a month over the course of a year if you do nothing but weight train and eat correctly and take a bunch of supplements. If you've been lifting for a while (i.e most high school athletes) its very hard to do that. The best you'll get is maybe 5 lbs. of muscle a year with dedicated training.

But basketball players who are 6'8" putting on 25 lbs. in 6 months? Impossible unless they're doing steroids and continuing to do nothing but train and eat.

Reaction Score
The "insiders" got nothin' for us hungry Husky fans?

Nothing on the inside exactly, but here's what I've gathered from Creighton & Georgetown twitter/forums/podcasts:
  • Creighton is waiting to hear from the Big East if they can sign Tremont Waters
  • Apparently other Big East teams including Seton Hall have reached out to see if there is any interest on Waters
  • Otherwise it has been pretty silent as far as what's coming out of the Waters camp (yes we already knew this last part but worth mentioning nothing has changed here)

Reaction Score
I could put on 10 lbs over a long weekend and have.
Putting on weight is not necessarily the panacea. I think UConn has historically exaggerated both height and weigh snd players will typically lose once practice starts. Put all teams have the same problem.
The physical objective is to maximize strength without sacrificing speed and agility.

Reaction Score
Probably just fabricated stories for the press just to up their weight on the roster.

Unless they didn't lift in high school, you can maybe put on 1-2 lbs. a month over the course of a year if you do nothing but weight train and eat correctly and take a bunch of supplements. If you've been lifting for a while (i.e most high school athletes) its very hard to do that. The best you'll get is maybe 5 lbs. of muscle a year with dedicated training.

But basketball players who are 6'8" putting on 25 lbs. in 6 months? Impossible unless they're doing steroids and continuing to do nothing but train and eat.

If you recruit the right body type is not quite as hard but yeah asking for 25lbs of muscle in half a year is crazy. That being said, players have not gotten much bigger under Ollie so I'm glad we have a new S&C coach. Freshman like whaley should gain at least 20lbs over the course of a year

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Nothing on the inside exactly, but here's what I've gathered from Creighton & Georgetown twitter/forums/podcasts:
  • Creighton is waiting to hear from the Big East if they can sign Tremont Waters
  • Apparently other Big East teams including Seton Hall have reached out to see if there is any interest on Waters
  • Otherwise it has been pretty silent as far as what's coming out of the Waters camp (yes we already knew this last part but worth mentioning nothing has changed here)

I wouldn't hate Waters going to Creighton just because it cold mean we land the UMass duo. Seton Hall doesn't seem like a fit for Waters (based off of what we heard his requirements are), but you never know.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
If you recruit the right body type is not quite as hard but yeah asking for 25lbs of muscle in half a year is crazy. That being said, players have not gotten much bigger under Ollie so I'm glad we have a new S&C coach. Freshman like whaley should gain at least 20lbs over the course of a year
I think even this is asking too much. I feel like usable muscle is better than cosmetic muscle. Putting a number on it is difficult.

Reaction Score
I think even this is asking too much. I feel like usable muscle is better than cosmetic muscle. Putting a number on it is difficult.
Obviously exact numbers are difficult, but the first year in a true S&C program should be the biggest leap in terms of strength and mass gained.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think we will see a considerable difference. Goals, routines and charts along with diet. I think this new coach will be emphasizing this vs. prior coach. My nephew is a D1 S and C coach for Lacrosse and Football. Lacrosse guys average added 10-12 lbs. his first year. Disciple of Tom Osborne theory. Can't say how much running Lacrosse practices average vs basketball but the weight training was done in the pre season I believe.

Reaction Score
18-22 year olds have high octane metabolisms that burn a lot even when they don't work out, if you are wonder why our freshman stringbeans usually look about the same 3 years later. Wish I had it now, especially with the holiday weekend coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom