So do we have any updates from our reporters? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So do we have any updates from our reporters?

C

Chief00

There's a difference between wanting to and reality. Of course we would love him to return. Who wouldn't ?
Chief always takes the position of what I think is best for the player.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
How much do these people get paid? Like what’s Borges salary?

Reaction Score
Our reporters kinda suck. Never really think about it, but it became apparent when I recently went to our game against Creighton in Omaha. I had the 'Akok is not playing' info about 20 minutes before our reporters tweeted it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
You realize he returned in that very game where “he saw his career flash before him”, right? I don’t see why he would stay on campus, travel with the team if he’s done this yr - especially during current Covid conditions.
Chief00 was talking about him returning for his junior year. I think he'll return at some point this season (hopefully), but after that we'll be seeing him in another jersey IMO.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its basically radio silence right now. Very strange. Maybe something is brewing. Maybe Bouk is back and he doesn’t want Seton Hall(of all teams) to know.
Bouk suiting up vs. Seton Hall watch.

Reaction Score
Bouk suiting up vs. Seton Hall watch.
I’m having trouble loading the picture, but his IG story from midnight last night had a picture of him on the practice court. Just him, but clearly practicing. I’ve been saying all along I think there’s a solid chance we see him for seton hall too.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I’m having trouble loading the picture, but his IG story from midnight last night had a picture of him on the practice court. Just him, but clearly practicing. I’ve been saying all along I think there’s a solid chance we see him for seton hall too.

I'm sure he's been doing something in practice for awhile, like a week after his surgery he was on the court pregame dribbling with both hands and shooting.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he's been doing something in practice for awhile, like a week after his surgery he was on the court pregame dribbling with both hands and shooting.
Agreed, but him posting that makes it seem like some sort of subtle indication that he’s almost back, probably in the only form he’s allowed to get away with without getting in trouble.

Reaction Score
Our reporters kinda suck. Never really think about it, but it became apparent when I recently went to our game against Creighton in Omaha. I had the 'Akok is not playing' info about 20 minutes before our reporters tweeted it.
None of the reporters were actually in Omaha. They are watching game on TV and get news from UConn. As far as interviews. 5 minute zoom calls with players with 10 people on the call is an awful way to get anything of depth. Problem is, players don't have an hour to kill bouncing from media member to media member.

What exactly do you guys want? Think about it. Info on Akok the night before? Day of? Does it matter unless you are betting the game? If it is a game-time decision, it is a game-time decision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that you were in the arena and the reporters were 1300 miles away in CT

Reaction Score
For team-related stuff sure. But why hasn't anyone at DPH and/or the team/AD been asked the questions about game cancellations, compared to other programs? It seems like the lowest of low-hanging fruit.
Here's how this is gonna go.

The team? They just do what they are told. Hurley can't wear a mask right, you think he is going to understand the nuances of DPH from state to state? Not his call, nor should it be.

Athletic directors office. They follow DPH guidelines. They have said this on numerous occasions. There is no flexibility. You can't argue with them.

DPH...are you kidding me? There is a global pandemic. There is no special super exemption for UConn basketball. The rules are clearly stated from the governor on down. There is no flexibility. UConn is allowed to play (while high school and others aren/t) precisely because they have protocols that are beyond what normal places do. But once an infection is in the area. It's over. They go into close contact protocols as determined by medical personnel.

Here's something I was told from admin in AD department a couple of months ago.... You can't look at what other states and programs do and say why this and why that (fans in stands in some places for example). That's the state's rules and they are in effect and non-negotiable. You have to deal with the state you are in. So where something happens has a huge effect on the response.

Are the rules applied evenly? No. That's just the way it is and is a reflection of the 50-state solution to this virus.

California lost the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl. I am frustrated too. But, you are knocking your head against a wall if you are trying to make sense across state lines at the response.

You can ask 100 different ways. It is all going to lead back to the same response.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Horde folks have it tough trying to balance asking probing questions and not wanting to piss off coach which may present problems down the road for their access.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Here's how this is gonna go.

The team? They just do what they are told. Hurley can't wear a mask right, you think he is going to understand the nuances of DPH from state to state? Not his call, nor should it be.

Athletic directors office. They follow DPH guidelines. They have said this on numerous occasions. There is no flexibility. You can't argue with them.

DPH...are you kidding me? There is a global pandemic. There is no special super exemption for UConn basketball. The rules are clearly stated from the governor on down. There is no flexibility. UConn is allowed to play (while high school and others aren/t) precisely because they have protocols that are beyond what normal places do. But once an infection is in the area. It's over. They go into close contact protocols as determined by medical personnel.

Here's something I was told from admin in AD department a couple of months ago.... You can't look at what other states and programs do and say why this and why that (fans in stands in some places for example). That's the state's rules and they are in effect and non-negotiable. You have to deal with the state you are in. So where something happens has a huge effect on the response.

Are the rules applied evenly? No. That's just the way it is and is a reflection of the 50-state solution to this virus.

California lost the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl. I am frustrated too. But, you are knocking your head against a wall if you are trying to make sense across state lines at the response.

You can ask 100 different ways. It is all going to lead back to the same response.

Completely fair response, but seemingly non-negotiable things tend to become negotiable in the presence of press pressure.

You don't think the conference would have a comment on dealing with multiple states? Even if it's boilerplate, it at least answers the question.

You don't think comparing the state and CDC guidelines would be constructive, as it pertains to the team shutdowns, in this instance?

I'm not having a go at you like some others here (and truly appreciate the work you guys do, and especially your willingness to respond to yahoos like me here), but i think the frustration seen here is a combination of the team impact AND the inconsistency. Trust me, I've been one of the more vocally conservative people here on the virus (my wife is an RN), so this isn't a veilled shot trying to downplay the virus (like a select few special users here like to do constantly).

Reaction Score
Completely fair response, but seemingly non-negotiable things tend to become negotiable in the presence of press pressure.

You don't think the conference would have a comment on dealing with multiple states? Even if it's boilerplate, it at least answers the question.

You don't think comparing the state and CDC guidelines would be constructive, as it pertains to the team shutdowns, in this instance?

I'm not having a go at you like some others here (and truly appreciate the work you guys do, and especially your willingness to respond to yahoos like me here), but i think the frustration seen here is a combination of the team impact AND the inconsistency. Trust me, I've been one of the more vocally conservative people here on the virus (my wife is an RN), so this isn't a veilled shot trying to downplay the virus (like a select few special users here like to do constantly).
The conference addressed this before the season even started, I guess you could argue they should be asked again but Val Ackerman said the Big East would not have a blanket rule and would defer to state/local government on decisions

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Its basically radio silence right now. Very strange. Maybe something is brewing. Maybe Bouk is back and he doesn’t want Seton Hall(of all teams) to know.
pretty annoying

Reaction Score
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that you were in the arena and the reporters were 1300 miles away in CT
I understand. It just means that in some ways they are no more useful than a regular fan that happens to be in the arena.

Reaction Score
None of the reporters were actually in Omaha. They are watching game on TV and get news from UConn. As far as interviews. 5 minute zoom calls with players with 10 people on the call is an awful way to get anything of depth. Problem is, players don't have an hour to kill bouncing from media member to media member.

What exactly do you guys want? Think about it. Info on Akok the night before? Day of? Does it matter unless you are betting the game? If it is a game-time decision, it is a game-time decision.
You are right. Having the update a few hours in advance doesn't really matter. I also suspect the staff either lies to the reporters or is evasive about injuries.

You can be right and our beat reporters can also be moderately useless for a multitude of reasons. Both can be true.

Reaction Score
I think one of the more interesting questions to try and get to the bottom of - UConn MBB paused because of a ref testing positive. A couple days later UConn WBB play an Arkansas team that is sitting 6 players bc they tested positive. Why did they play the game?

Reaction Score
I think one of the more interesting questions to try and get to the bottom of - UConn MBB paused because of a ref testing positive. A couple days later UConn WBB play an Arkansas team that is sitting 6 players bc they tested positive. Why did they play the game?
I did hear Geno being asked this exact question directly. He said he didn't have the answer, but, at least the very reasonable question was asked. Based on the sly smile he had, my money is on the fact that Connecticut health honchos didn't know the Arkansas situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom