So Azzi Just Put This Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So Azzi Just Put This Up

Reaction Score
I know nothing, obviously, but if I am Fudd, I can't see coming to a place where a teammate - even a friend - so overtly and over the top told everyone she should come to Storrs. She would be the alpha anywhere else. Maybe that it is her style. Again. I know nothing, but I can't think what PB is doing is going to make it easier for Fudd to come to CT.

Edited by admin.
I've said before, if Fudd was bothered by what Bueckers is saying in public, she or her parents would let her know and it would stop. Obviously it's not an issue.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I would have thought that South Carolina blowing us out with their tall forwards that taking another wing with last scholarship with limited speed was way to beat them, Baylor and Oregon too.

LOL You reminded me of S Car a few years ago when they had Coates, Etc. and their fans predicted that they would wear down a short-benched UConn squad with all their size and depth. Mid way through the 1st half it was those SC posts who were doubled over exhausted and it was UConn who won, easily.
UConn has played S Car 7 times since the 2015 season and is 7-1. Every game but one was a UConn win, and a fairly easy one at that. I'd guess that in every game it was S car that had the size and depth edge. In 2018 NPOY Wilson had 16 boards but was held to 14 pts on 4-18 shooting while being guarded by a UConn team that was very short on size. Stevens was the only post on the team and played 17 minutes with 2 pts and 3 rebounds so UConn had to guard Wilson with 5'11" Gabby Williams and 6'1" Collier. Final score - 83-58 UConn. The game was at S Car. In the regional final UConn won 83-58. Wilson had a real good game but it was over at the half with UConn winning 94-65. Both games were essentially over at the half. and 53-24 and 54-33.
In S Car's championship season they had Coates and Wilson lined up against Collier & Williams. Two posts vs zero posts. UConn won 66-55.

Size is nice. But even with a decided edge in height and/or front line depth S Car has beaten UConn once in 9 tries.

Reaction Score
Any ideas that either of these two are afraid of not being the top dog are unfounded. No prima donnas here. This isn't Tiffany Mitchell or Diamond DeShields, needing 20 shots a game. In fact from everything I have read, seen and heard they are both totally team-oriented, love defending and most of all love pushing each other's game.
Who knows what Fudd decides but players with the above attributes have picked UConn in the past. ;)
I never heard that Tiffany Mitchell was a prima donna or were you talking about Kelsey Mitchell Ohio st

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once a player signs a LOI, schools are no longer allowed to recruit her. The one exception could be the Ivy's who do not use the National Letter of Intent and are not obligated to follow their rules.

Ivy's also don't offer athletic scholarships.

Reaction Score
I daydream of having two players that not only shoot lights out from all over the court but are just as likely to feed an open team mate as take the shot. Defenses would be helpless.
I like to think happy thoughts. :) You should too.

You had 3 players like that a few years ago. Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck. They were pretty good on defense too.

Reaction Score
LOL You reminded me of S Car a few years ago when they had Coates, Etc. and their fans predicted that they would wear down a short-benched UConn squad with all their size and depth. Mid way through the 1st half it was those SC posts who were doubled over exhausted and it was UConn who won, easily.
UConn has played S Car 7 times since the 2015 season and is 7-1. Every game but one was a UConn win, and a fairly easy one at that. I'd guess that in every game it was S car that had the size and depth edge. In 2018 NPOY Wilson had 16 boards but was held to 14 pts on 4-18 shooting while being guarded by a UConn team that was very short on size. Stevens was the only post on the team and played 17 minutes with 2 pts and 3 rebounds so UConn had to guard Wilson with 5'11" Gabby Williams and 6'1" Collier. Final score - 83-58 UConn. The game was at S Car. In the regional final UConn won 83-58. Wilson had a real good game but it was over at the half with UConn winning 94-65. Both games were essentially over at the half. and 53-24 and 54-33.
In S Car's championship season they had Coates and Wilson lined up against Collier & Williams. Two posts vs zero posts. UConn won 66-55.

Size is nice. But even with a decided edge in height and/or front line depth S Car has beaten UConn once in 9 tries.
Not sure of the value of generalizing based on the past. Players like Gabby and Collier were unique and even with their skills, the team didn't achieve its goals to win NCAA's. The Coates South Carolina team had size but was slow and deliberate - perfect match up for highly skilled UConn team. Neither squad will be repeated. I want it all - size, speed, shooting, defense, etc. Looks like Geno does as well based on our upcoming recruiting classes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Can someone help an old fella out. I can't make out what Azzi says at the beginning. Would one of you quote it for me? Thanks in advance

Reaction Score
You had 3 players like that a few years ago. Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck. They were pretty good on defense too.

I was thinking guards but as long as you brought up the topic ...
None of those players could shoot like Fudd and Bueckers. Stewart was a mediocre 3 pt shooter (UConn standards) till her senior year. Same with Jefferson. Tuck was a great inside scorer and a good 3 pt shooter but her perimeter shooting was strictly spot up. They also had 4 years to develop their talent and we judge them on how they ended rather than how they started. Both Fudd and Bueckers are in the KLS/KML class of outside shooting. Fudd and especially Bueckers are both miles ahead of where the 3 AA's were as freshmen in ball skills. And they are both driven to improve.
UConn is astoundingly fortunate to have signed Bueckers and I for one won't whine if Fudd goes elsewhere, but if she were to pick UConn it would be an historic backcourt. And yeah, I'm more than a little over the top here but I think it's justified.

Reaction Score
Not sure of the value of generalizing based on the past. Players like Gabby and Collier were unique and even with their skills, the team didn't achieve its goals to win NCAA's. The Coates South Carolina team had size but was slow and deliberate - perfect match up for highly skilled UConn team. Neither squad will be repeated. I want it all - size, speed, shooting, defense, etc. Looks like Geno does as well based on our upcoming recruiting classes.

It's also of dubious value to generalize the value of size based on one game. This season's 3 losses weren't due to size as much as lack of experience, and that was the result of 2 recruiting classes that fell apart leaving the team with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. The fact that they started to play well together late in the season supports that idea.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Even in this past season’s matchup. Yes, SC had the size in the post advantage... but it wasn’t Aliyah Boston alone that killed UConn, it was our guards. Ty Harris in particular.. so I agree, size is nice... but skill is what matters ultimately. And usually the team with the most skilled players win these big matchups.

I will say, Herbert Harrigan at 6’2 was size and skill and this past season not a lot of teams had a matchup for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Once a player signs a LOI, schools are no longer allowed to recruit her. The one exception could be the Ivy's who do not use the National Letter of Intent and are not obligated to follow their rules.
The other exemption are the Service Academies Army, Navy & Air Force which do not participate in the NLI program.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
None of those players could shoot like Fudd and Bueckers. Stewart was a mediocre 3 pt shooter (UConn standards) till her senior year. Same with Jefferson. Tuck was a great inside scorer and a good 3 pt shooter but her perimeter shooting was strictly spot up. They also had 4 years to develop their talent and we judge them on how they ended rather than how they started. Both Fudd and Bueckers are in the KLS/KML class of outside shooting. Fudd and especially Bueckers are both miles ahead of where the 3 AA's were as freshmen in ball skills. And they are both driven to improve.
UConn is astoundingly fortunate to have signed Bueckers and I for one won't whine if Fudd goes elsewhere, but if she were to pick UConn it would be an historic backcourt. And yeah, I'm more than a little over the top here but I think it's justified.
Just a correction - Jefferson only had one bad year as a 3 pt shooter - her freshman year. Her last three years she shot .418, .496, .431 - that .496 was one made three short of matching Sue Bird for the best single season 3 pt percentage, and her career .420 is good for 5th place ahead of Lou in 6th place at .415. Morgan Tuck was not a good 3 pt shooter according to 'Uconn Standards' - career .312 and her best year being her sophomore season when she made 7 of 17 for .412.

Reaction Score
Watching and listening to the Bueckers/Fudd tapes, IMHO, they show that each player makes the other better! They use their friendship to push them to do better in all phases of the game! And that's on 2 different HS teams usually and occasionally on a USA national team! And they are just annoying enough to the other to push the "kill" buttons and they're egos want to be the best in everything!
I just have a feeling that Azzi wants to use Paige every day, and vice-versa to get better, and will sign with UCONN!

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Even in this past season’s matchup. Yes, SC had the size in the post advantage... but it wasn’t Aliyah Boston alone that killed UConn, it was our guards. Ty Harris in particular.. so I agree, size is nice... but skill is what matters ultimately. And usually the team with the most skilled players win these big matchups.

I will say, Herbert Harrigan at 6’2 was size and skill and this past season not a lot of teams had a matchup for her.
I also think Dawn learned to change according to her personnel. The year she won the national title she lost one of her big girls (Coates) and the team got better because they were quicker. That is the advantage they held this year. The star player going forward will be Cooke. She can be a female Michael Jordan if you watch her shots...that twisting in midair is impressive. Boston, Cooke and Beal could win a national title with anyone...but add Saxon, Amihere, Henderson and Grissett.....that's a great team for at least two more years.

Reaction Score
I know nothing, obviously, but if I am Fudd, I can't see coming to a place where a teammate - even a friend - so overtly and over the top told everyone she should come to Storrs. She would be the alpha anywhere else. Maybe that it is her style. Again. I know nothing, but I can't think what PB is doing is going to make it easier for Fudd to come to CT.

Edited by admin.

I don't understand your post -- at all. I don't know where it's coming from. You mean best friends can't say "back off?" They are with each other during COVID-19. Not to mention- which I will- as best friends even seeing each other during a crisis as awful as this-- they would probably speak candidly beforehand and know the other very well.

For the life of me, I don't understand your post. The bold to me is extremely baffling -- and I don't know what Paige has said specifically that you think is so over-the-top. If Paige says her best friend should come to Storrs and she doesn't that makes her past statement over-the-top? When players try to recruit others - aren't they saying "you should come to this school?" And these are best friends and they aren't supposed to say "Come to my school I'm attending," too?

If Azzi is so self-conscious about this then why would she even bother going on Youtube with Paige to start with? If she is uncomfortable with Paige would they be hanging with each other at this point?

Reaction Score
Hope Azzi signs, but this team looks to be very guard/small wing heavy...again. How many 5-10 to 6-2 ft guards & wings will we have?? Seems we will continue to be very thin in the post/physical player position. This strategy hasnt led us to a Title for the past several years.

Strategy??????????
Was it also "strategy" that
De'Ajanae Boykin left?
Camara got hurt?
Stevens only stayed 1 year?
Collier - a more physical post - de-committed and maybe he would have gotten Olivia too?
Boston surprised him?
----------------
Further you realize UCONN had size in 2017-2018. So why was the supposed "strategy" of 2017-2018 better than the "strategy" of 2016-2017?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree. I would have thought that South Carolina blowing us out with their tall forwards that taking another wing with last scholarship with limited speed was way to beat them, Baylor and Oregon too.

Another post on this thread I don't understand the point completely.

You say you agree with bostonbay that UCONN should go after Azzi, correct?

The bold above totally lost me. Are you saying getting Azzi is not the best move? And are you knocking her game?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
1589196683782.png

Isn't that Paige in the background?

Tweet from Azzi Azzi Fudd (@azzi_35) | Twitter

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
None of those players could shoot like Fudd and Bueckers. Stewart was a mediocre 3 pt shooter (UConn standards) till her senior year. Same with Jefferson.
Please provide the links to Paige and Azzi's high school 3pt shooting stats. I can only find USA basketball stats which show Paige shooting 25% (10-40) in 18 5x5 games. She shot 38.5% in 7 games of 3x3. Azzi shot 40.5% (17-42) in 15 5x5 games. In the USA basketball games both faced competition which is closer to what thet can expect to experience at the college level. So your assertion they are better 3pt shooters is based on opinion (impression) or real stats (facts). Don't get bent out of shape. I just want to know what their actual stats represent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's also of dubious value to generalize the value of size based on one game. This season's 3 losses weren't due to size as much as lack of experience, and that was the result of 2 recruiting classes that fell apart leaving the team with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. The fact that they started to play well together late in the season supports that idea.
Except we are not talking about 1 game, we are talking about 3 games last year. Also PLUESE...don't give us UCONN's "lack experience" when SC started 3 freshman that severely beat down UCONN last year. The value of size is indeed dubious, especially when you don't have it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom