So Azzi Just Put This Up | Page 7 | The Boneyard

So Azzi Just Put This Up

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Continuing adventures of Paige and Azxi.

Implicit reference to UConn

What if they make you do this next year?
They wont
They Might

and Paige's admission she hates running. :eek:

Reaction Score
LOL

I took elderberry (cap form) for a week about a month ago. My pee turned pink and I thought my intestines were hemorrhaging. :eek:
After stopping it things returned to normal so I have started taking it again. No bad taste in capsule form. :)

Reaction Score
We've been taking Elderberry for the past year on an every other day basis until we ran out. The wife went from taking it everyday to every other day because she noticed that she would get headaches. Now we are taking Wolfberry.

Reaction Score
Is this how to get rid of someone who is overstaying her welcome? :D

How can they not play together? They are hilarious.

I hope Azzi and Paige get healthy!

Note that, as I've read elsewhere, Katie is the tough one in the family.
Katie is all business! She was a UConn type kid in her day.

Reaction Score
What happened earlier in the season was not a guarantee it would happen at tournament time. Two or three years ago when SC had one of the best teams in the country, they were eliminated either in the Elite Eight or Sweet Sixteen by what was considered an inferior team. It raised a lot of eyebrows. I actually believed that only one of the top three teams would have made it to the FF this past season.

USC lost to Syracuse in the Sweet Sixteen. It was only the 2nd loss of the season for the Gamecocks, after losing to CT. They went 16-0 in the SEC, the first time they ever did that (they did it again for the 2nd time this past season).

Syracuse was considered to be an inferior team, but give them credit - they kept going in the NCAAT until they faced you guys for the championship, so perhaps they were better than what they were considered to be, or just went off on a cinderella tournament run. Despite the great season for USC they were sluggish starters in games for much of the season, and just wore down opponents, but the Orange were a fast-tempo offensive team that jumped on us, and never let up in the 2nd half. I thought the team was poorly prepared to play up to it's potential that season, but give Staley credit for hiring former Vanderbilt head coach Melanie Balcombe to improve on their offensive system....

Reaction Score
No.
In '16-'17 you had 6"5" Natalie Butler coming off the bench to help match up against larger teams like Texas,

You spoke of angst in some manner for some of us posters happy making only Final Four. I'm one of those posters. Though it's too hard to understand what you completely mean but I am in agreement with you for the lats 2 years-- the team was too small. However I wonder if we agree on another big point but that would hijack my point about your above comment.

When you bring up frustration for fans being content for not winning it all then bring up Natalie Butler you go off the train imo then i wonder if you just are making some of your points just to fight.

Otherwise if you think us fans shouldn't be happy with the past F/F accomplishments then please explain what Natalie Butler did in February in March to help UCONN in 16-17? Because in one breath if you're sort of slapping us fans for being happy to getting to FF then why bring up Natalie as if she made much of a difference late -- she didn't. If you agree she did nothing late and FF's isn't enough for you lately then why bring up Natalie?- Because she did little-to-nothing in Feb and March.

In the last games of 2016-2017 season in which UCONN had games under 20 points vs South Carolina, Tulane, UCLA and Miss State - she played 7 minutes, 11 minutes, DNP, and 0 minutes. In the game vs Tulane in which she saw 11 minutes she was 0-5 from the floor, had 5 DREBs, 1 foul, 1 block, and 2 T/O's.

If you are going to hold such an opinion/ or angst of fans of "don't be happy with final fours" then why are you bringing up Natalie Butler when clearly Geno played her less and less in closer games as the season progressed into February and ending up as basically zero minutes vs UCLA and Miss State for games under 20?

Reaction Score
For most schools she wouldn't be "another guard" but rather the school's GOAT.

She wouldn't be "another guard" at UCONN. She would be an all-time great guard at UCONN with a different style than any other. IMO Paige was a must-get, and Azzi is a must-get.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
USC lost to Syracuse in the Sweet Sixteen. It was only the 2nd loss of the season for the Gamecocks, after losing to CT. They went 16-0 in the SEC, the first time they ever did that (they did it again for the 2nd time this past season).

Syracuse was considered to be an inferior team, but give them credit - they kept going in the NCAAT until they faced you guys for the championship, so perhaps they were better than what they were considered to be, or just went off on a cinderella tournament run. Despite the great season for USC they were sluggish starters in games for much of the season, and just wore down opponents, but the Orange were a fast-tempo offensive team that jumped on us, and never let up in the 2nd half. I thought the team was poorly prepared to play up to it's potential that season, but give Staley credit for hiring former Vanderbilt head coach Melanie Balcombe to improve on their offensive system....
That Cuse team had some talent, but I would agree that their run to the championship in 2016 was improbable. Coach Q had adopted Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone defense which often gives teams problems that haven’t seen it before. In addition the Orange ran a relentless full court press for 40 minutes that would just wear down opposing teams leading to lots of turnovers. Finally, Syracuse would launch more 3’s than anyone, so if they got hot, which they were for the first 5 games of the tournament, they were tough to handle.

In the championship game, UConn attacked the Syracuse press at every opportunity, leading to one easy basket after another. In addition, a UConn team that boasted 6 eventual AA’s and 3 NDPOY’s largely shut down the Orange’s high-flying offense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You spoke of angst in some manner for some of us posters happy making only Final Four. I'm one of those posters. Though it's too hard to understand what you completely mean but I am in agreement with you for the lats 2 years-- the team was too small. However I wonder if we agree on another big point but that would hijack my point about your above comment.

When you bring up frustration for fans being content for not winning it all then bring up Natalie Butler you go off the train imo then i wonder if you just are making some of your points just to fight.

Otherwise if you think us fans shouldn't be happy with the past F/F accomplishments then please explain what Natalie Butler did in February in March to help UCONN in 16-17? Because in one breath if you're sort of slapping us fans for being happy to getting to FF then why bring up Natalie as if she made much of a difference late -- she didn't. If you agree she did nothing late and FF's isn't enough for you lately then why bring up Natalie?- Because she did little-to-nothing in Feb and March.

In the last games of 2016-2017 season in which UCONN had games under 20 points vs South Carolina, Tulane, UCLA and Miss State - she played 7 minutes, 11 minutes, DNP, and 0 minutes. In the game vs Tulane in which she saw 11 minutes she was 0-5 from the floor, had 5 DREBs, 1 foul, 1 block, and 2 T/O's.

If you are going to hold such an opinion/ or angst of fans of "don't be happy with final fours" then why are you bringing up Natalie Butler when clearly Geno played her less and less in closer games as the season progressed into February and ending up as basically zero minutes vs UCLA and Miss State for games under 20?
I'm not fighting with anyone-simply not worth it. Natalie Butler did not contribute much in her UCONN years in March and April granted. Then again nether did Freshman, Sophomore, nor Junior Saniya Chong.
I will continue to use Natalie Butler as an example of a "contributor" specifically as a post contributor that was able to give UCONN rugged minutes in the post against larger front lines. Natalie contributed in regular season games against Baylor, Texas, Maryland. If I'm to use your specific example the Tulane game 5 defensive rebounds was still a contribution. The UCONN teams of the past 4 years have lacked post contributors that were capable of giving the starters a rest, resulting in Gabby and Napheesa playing 38+ Minutes per game when they come up against top 10 teams. The UCONN teams of the past 3 years ( since Saniya) have also lacked a 3rd guard for the rotation. With Evina being eligible and Paige I think that the guard situation is definitely on the upswing. I don't view the the UCONN post situation in the same way. When I bring up Natalie's name translate it this way: Natalie Butler is an example of the type of post contributor which the 2020-21 UCONN squad is going to need to back up ONO if UCONN is going to make a FF run. Unless you don't think ONO needs a backup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not fighting with anyone-simply not worth it. Natalie Butler did not contribute much in her UCONN years in March and April granted. Then again nether did Freshman, Sophomore, nor Junior Saniya Chong.
I will continue to use Natalie Butler as an example of a "contributor" specifically as a post contributor that was able to give UCONN rugged minutes in the post against against larger front lines. Natalie contributed in regular season games against Baylor, Texas, Maryland. If I'm to use your specific example the Tulane game 5 defensive rebounds was still contribution. The UCONN teams of the past 4 years have lacked post contributors that were capable of giving the starters a rest, resulting in Gabby and Napheesa playing 38+ Minutes per game when they come up against top 10 teams. The UCONN teams of the past 3 years ( since Saniya) have also lacked a 3 guard for the rotation- With Evina being eligible and Paige I think that the guard situation is definitely on the upswing. I don't view the the UCONN post situation in the same way. When I bring up Natalie's name translate it this way: Natalie Butler is an example of the type of post contributor which the 2020-21 UCONN squad is going to need to back up ONO if UCONN is going to make a FF run. Unless you don't think ONO needs a backup.
Agree totally with the need for strong subs, bigs and ALL positions. We see a lot of posts that cherry pick exceptions to say this is not needed. Suggest looking at the 2012-13 team with Stephanie Dolson, Kiah Stokes, Morgan Tuck, and Breanna Stewart to see what a dominate team looks like. The teams in this era typically had 11 players, 9 of whom got minutes. Even subs like Stokes made pros and have had nice career. Can we win with one skinny post player? Maybe. After watching replays of the Dolson/Stewart teams, their make up gets my vote.

Reaction Score
That Cuse team had some talent, but I would agree that their run to the championship in 2016 was improbable. Coach Q had adopted Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone defense which often gives teams problems that haven’t seen it before. In addition the Orange ran a relentless full court press for 40 minutes that would just wear down opposing teams leading to lots of turnovers. Finally, Syracuse would launch more 3’s than anyone, so if they got hot, which they were for the first 5 games of the tournament, they were tough to handle.

In the championship game, UConn attacked the Syracuse press at every opportunity, leading to one easy basket after another. In addition, a UConn team that boasted 6 eventual AA’s and 3 NDPOY’s largely shut down the Orange’s high-flying offense.

All I can see looking at that team are how limited the backcourt was outside of Mitchell.

Syracuse forced South Carolina into taking 32 three pointers and South Carolina was 8/32. Tina Roy! took 17 shots in that game, so that tells you how successful Syracuse was in choosing who would have to beat them.

Didn't help that Tiffany Mitchell had a bad day.

Basically that South Carolina team had three All America type talents and role players.

Reaction Score
I will continue to use Natalie Butler as an example of a "contributor" specifically as a post contributor that was able to give UCONN rugged minutes in the post against against larger front lines. . . . When I bring up Natalie's name translate it this way: Natalie Butler is an example of the type of post contributor which the 2020-21 UCONN squad is going to need to back up ONO if UCONN is going to make a FF run. Unless you don't think ONO needs a backup.

But how can you say in one breath that Natalie Butler was a contributor (she was an early contributor but you're the one who has angst for us fans for not having similar "frustration" to you that UCONN didn't win late. But Natalie didn't help UCONN win late!) while then having angst for us posters who were happy with these past several years of FF?

This is the problem I'm having here with your posts which I don't understand the point you are trying to make. In other words, you can't be knocking "me" (and others) for being okay with FF's (Final Fours = "late".) while promote Natalie on here in the same breath while also acknowledging Natalie did nothing to help late. In fact, haven't you posted that you thought a big reason UCONN lost in 16-17 to Miss State was due to size? Geno didn't even think she was worth playing other than 6 minutes in that huge game yet you want to use her as an example?

Geno had an opportunity to play "the big" in Natalie that you are trying to promote and he played her 6 minutes (I was wrong before that she didn't play at all. But she played 6 minutes in an overtime game). Your main argument has been "we can't beat the big teams" and we lost to Miss State because of size yet the player could only get 6 minutes and basically do nothing.

If you're point is that they needed someone "better" than Natalie Butler as size -- I can accept that. Is that what you're trying to say? Though you realize Natalie Butler wasn't good enough and they just needed a better player, right? Because they lost by one last second overtime jump shot so they didn't needed much to win, right? Why not a better guard than Danger? In 17 minutes she was 0-1 from the floor with 1 point, 2 rebounds,1 assist and 2 turnovers. And how much of a defensive help is she as a frosh?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But how can you say in one breath that Natalie Butler was a contributor (she was an early contributor but you're the one who has angst for us fans for not having similar "frustration" to you that UCONN didn't win late. But Natalie didn't help UCONN win late!) while then having angst for us posters who were happy with these past several years of FF?

This is the problem I'm having here with your posts which I don't understand the point you are trying to make. In other words, you can't be knocking "me" (and others) for being okay with FF's (Final Fours = "late".) while promote Natalie on here in the same breath while also acknowledging Natalie did nothing to help late. In fact, haven't you posted that you thought a big reason UCONN lost in 16-17 to Miss State was due to size? And Geno didn't even play her yet you want to use her as an example that she is the type of player UCONN needs? Geno didn't even think she was worth playing other than 6 minutes in that huge game yet you want to use her as an example?

Geno had an opportunity to play "the big" in Natalie that you are trying to promote and he played her 6 minutes (I was wrong before that she didn't play at all. But she played 6 minutes in an overtime game). Your main argument has been "we can't beat the big teams" and we lost to Miss State because of size yet the player could only get 6 minutes and basically do nothing.

If you're point is that they needed someone "better" than Natalie Butler as size -- I can accept that. Is that what you're trying to say? Though you realize Natalie Butler wasn't good enough and they just needed a better player, right? Because they lost by one last second overtime jump shot so they didn't needed much to win, right? Why not a better guard than Danger? In 17 minutes she was 0-1 from the floor with 1 point, 2 rebounds,1 assist and 2 turnovers. And how much of a defensive help is she as a frosh?
While I generally agree with your post, I think it’s worth pointing out that size had very little to do with UConn’s 2017 loss to MS St. In that game, the Bulldogs 6’7” Tierra McGowan was generally outplayed by 5’11” Gabby Williams. Beyond McGowan, MS St was not a particularly big team. What the Bulldogs were was a ferocious group of man-to-man defenders that really limited UConn’s ability to effectively run their motion offense, forcing UConn to more 1 on 1 offense.

Reaction Score
While I generally agree with your post, I think it’s worth pointing out that size had very little to do with UConn’s 2017 loss to MS St. In that game, the Bulldogs 6’7” Tierra McGowan was generally outplayed by 5’11” Gabby Williams. Beyond McGowan, MS St was not a particularly big team. What the Bulldogs were was a ferocious group of man-to-man defenders that really limited UConn’s ability to effectively run their motion offense, forcing UConn to more 1 on 1 offense.

I didn't suggest that it was. :)

I suggested that coco had said or implied in prior posts from way back that it was due to lack of size that we lost. I'm trying to understand what coco is talking about. If it wasn't "lack of size" then how does he or she bring up Natalie Butler in any manner? Can you explain why he or she is bringing up Natalie?

UCONN needed "one more play in regulation." They didn't need "one style of player." Natalie was getting reduced minutes in the closer games from February and on. Why bring up that type of "non-productive" player while the idea is to slightly knock us fans that have been okay with what we've been the last few years? Natalie did not help the end result. So why use her name?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can you explain why he or she is bringing up Natalie?
As many here on the Boneyard know, I am seldom constrained by a lack of opinion on just about any topic. But as for my ability to explain Coco’s line of reasoning, I’m going to respectfully have to pass. :cool:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You are right that Williams outplayed Tierra McGowan in that game, but that is largely because McGowan plays for the Morehead State Eagles, so she was not even on the court for that game! I think homophonic name twin Teaira McCowan is who you had in mind. :D

Reaction Score
As many here on the Boneyard know, I am seldom constrained by a lack of opinion on just about any topic. But as for my ability to explain Coco’s line of reasoning, I’m going to respectfully have to pass. :cool:

No problem.

For me over the years one of the most fun things to talk about is "style of play." Not only "player" but "team." So the question isn't just for coco.

Earlier in the season when UCONN was struggling a lot I was arguing with one poster - and I know he made a comment "Some fans think Geno walks on water." And I said "he does." He also ended up bringing up how he felt Geno should've used Natalie Butler more thus "blaming" Geno. I don't agree.

For anyone to think that Natalie was the answer- imo it means they have a preference for that style of play. You can go back into a history of their posts and look and imo it will show that is their preference. I have a preference for fast pace so I don't agree with those agree that thought Natalie was the answer (though I'd like to think I can be turned though my preference would remain the same.) (and I'm not saying coco did. Which is why I had asked further questions- trying to understand. ). So I am always interested in "why?" I find it fun. Sounds on my posts like I'm arguing by being angry but I'm not. I love the discussions of style of play.

There are some poster on here that love "all-defense" and love the 60-59 games. I prefer the 80-79 games. And I think you'll getting better recruiting over a longer period too with 80-79.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom