So Azzi Just Put This Up | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So Azzi Just Put This Up

Reaction Score
What’s the over/under on the amount of post if Fudd goes elsewhere. Will she live on the board longer than EDD? Just thinking out loud .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have been wondering whether any of you have information about what other schools may be in the running. I know she has checked out Notre Dame, but beyond that I have not a clue. Since she has chosen to wait, what variables are left for her to ponder in making a decision other than summer time transfers (a stretch as a variable). Is her deciding variable the question of does she want to follow Paige or maybe that is a stumbling block for her yes to UConn? Does she feel the tug of wanting to play closer to home, and what would that portend?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have been wondering whether any of you have information about what other schools may be in the running. I know she has checked out Notre Dame, but beyond that I have not a clue. Since she has chosen to wait, what variables are left for her to ponder in making a decision other than summer time transfers (a stretch as a variable). Is her deciding variable the question of does she want to follow Paige or maybe that is a stumbling block for her yes to UConn? Does she feel the tug of wanting to play closer to home, and what would that portend?
Rocky, in addition to ND we know that hometown school MD is in the mix. Beyond those two schools, I don’t know if UConn has any other competition for Azzi’s services.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks. I don’t want to relive the Boston “nightmare” again. That was horrible and painful, having just lost Charli Collier also. We lost a good one judging by her play, and the awards she earned.

Well, the BY consensus is that Azzi is UConn bound. I’m of that opinion. We should be patient and wait to see where the “other shoe” falls. If she’s comfortable with an instagram announcement, that can come at anytime. If she wants to have her reveal at a school assembly, then of course we’ll have to wait until the fall.
That may be the consensus, but there is no proof that UCONN leads, or that we are in the driver's seat, or anything like that. Frankly, I think our chances of landing her are a little less than 50-50.

We do have anecdotal evidence and tea leaves to read, since her BFF Paige is all up in her grill 24/7, but that could backfire. Azzi may well decide that the attention Paige has garnered, while nice, is not a spotlight she wants to share. Azzi may also decide she wants to beat Paige, rather than win with her. She's also been to numerous UCONN games (not as many as Boston, for example).

She and her family are very tight lipped about the recruiting process. Geno generally gets along well with recruits' dads. It seems that Azzi's dad likes Geno. Other than that, I've seen/heard zero that indicates we are in the driver's seat in any way, shape, or form.

Just wanted to add - we've gotten kids younger than her to commit already (Ice Brady), as well as 3 others in Azzi's class. Ice is a kid who LOVES UCONN and has always wanted to go there, but more than that, she was SURE of her decision. Saylor, Caroline and Amari were all sure they wanted UCONN.

The fact that UCONN and Paige have been recruiting Azzie for so long with no verbal makes it clear she's NOT sure, and to me that's not a great sign.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That may be the consensus, but there is no proof that UCONN leads, or that we are in the driver's seat, or anything like that. Frankly, I think our chances of landing her are a little less than 50-50.

We do have anecdotal evidence and tea leaves to read, since her BFF Paige is all up in her grill 24/7, but that could backfire. Azzi may well decide that the attention Paige has garnered, while nice, is not a spotlight she wants to share. Azzi may also decide she wants to beat Paige, rather than win with her. She's also been to numerous UCONN games (not as many as Boston, for example).

She and her family are very tight lipped about the recruiting process. Geno generally gets along well with recruits' dads. It seems that Azzi's dad likes Geno. Other than that, I've seen/heard zero that indicates we are in the driver's seat in any way, shape, or form.

Just wanted to add - we've gotten kids younger than her to commit already (Ice Brady), as well as 3 others in her class. Ice is a kid who LOVES UCONN and has always wanted to go there, but more than that, she was SURE of her decision. Saylor, Caroline and Amari were all sure they wanted UCONN.

The fact that UCONN and Paige have been recruiting Azzie for so long with no verbal makes it clear she's NOT sure, and to me that's not a great sign.
You could post exactly the same and replace UConn with any of the other school recruiting her, leaving out the parts about Dad and PB. Like I said before, we know nothing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think there have been a number of recruits who committed to UConn who were not sure up until late in their recruitment.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think there have been a number of recruits who committed to UConn who were not sure up until late in their recruitment.

If you recall, ONO committed in the 11th hour. Eric, you are correct. We have no proof. I was referring to a “gut” feeling, and the tenor of the comments posted here regarding Azzi. Her camp has been very tight lipped about her recruitment, and she has been very careful and deliberate not to give any indication of the direction she may be leaning.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t know that a Jedi mind trick is required to contemplate that UConn would be more competitive against the top 3 teams in the country if they met a second time during the Big Dance. Over the past 25 years no one does a better job in preparing their team for the NCAA tournament than Geno. Of all the remarkable records established by UConn WBB, the most amazing, imo, is 12 straight visits to the FF.

We need only look at last season’s Elite 8 upset victory over Louisville or go back to the solid victory over ND in the 2013 FF, after losing 3 times to the Irish during that season. Some coaches are just simply better at getting their teams ready for the tournament. I would include MM & Tara among those coaches. Geno has not been perfect, but he is absolutely the best. As for Kim, Dawn and Graves, it remains to be seen if they can consistently position their respective teams to make a championship run year in and year out.
Looking back reminds me that UCONN beat Louisville in Albany to get to the FF. I'm also reminded that during the last two tournaments UCONN also lost to a team which it had already beat during the regular season. Good thing Muffet decided to start collecting her pension. Even better that there is going to be an Albany region next year if there is a tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looking back reminds me that UCONN beat Louisville in Albany to get to the FF. I'm also reminded that during the last two tournaments UCONN also lost to a team which it had already beat during the regular season. Good thing Muffet decided to start collecting her pension. Even better that there is going to be an Albany region next year if there is a tournament.
Glad you mentioned MM’s two FF wins vs UConn. As I mentioned, in my post, MM is one of a handful of coaches that are simply better at preparing her teams for the tournament.

As for playing in the Albany regional, or for that matter, the Bridgeport regional, UConn earned that right with their performance during the season. But playing close to home doesn’t guarantee a team a ticket to the FF. Just ask Kim Mulkey.

In 2016 & 2017, Baylor was the number 1 seed in the Dallas regional and then the nearby Oklahoma City regional respectively. Lightning struck twice as the Lady Bears were stunned first by OR St and then by MS St.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azzi and Paige in their daily whatever....

I must confess that when it comes to teenage girls, the sum total of my knowledge wouldn’t fill up a post-it note. The Fudds appear to be wonderful and extremely patient people to welcome Paige into their home for an extended visit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised at the extent of your "angst," as you are one of the most valuable posters. I do share your opinion that we do not need another guard, but do not share your point of reference for disappointment.
If you compare the past four years to our high points, they are disappointing. If you compare the past four years to other four year downturns, it was the most successful downturn by far. So the potential for disappointment comes down to whether or not it is wise to view cycles (recruiting, chemistry, learning, etc) as inevitable.
I do view downturns as inevitable because not every recruit is going to work out. The length of the particular down turn I view as taking too long to correct. Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin are tremendous young ladies that represented UCONN on the court and in the class room in an exemplary manner. However, it should not have taken until the Fall of 2019 to figure out that Kyla cannot be the the starting PF and Molly cannot be the third guard in the rotation if UCONN was to have a contending National Championship team.
Post player successfully recruited from HS by UCONN since Kyla Irwin=2 ONO & Paith.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I must confess that when it comes to teenage girls, the sum total of my knowledge wouldn’t fill up a post-it note. The Fudds appear to be wonderful and extremely patient people to welcome Paige into their home for an extended visit.
They probably told Paige to spend as much time with Azzi now because she won't be spending much time with her in college, seeing how they will be at different schools:(.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned MM’s two FF wins vs UConn. As I mentioned, in my post, MM is one of a handful of coaches that are simply better at preparing her teams for the tournament.

As for playing in the Albany regional, or for that matter, the Bridgeport regional, UConn earned that right with their performance during the season. But playing close to home doesn’t guarantee a team a ticket to the FF. Just ask Kim Mulkey.

In 2016 & 2017, Baylor was the number 1 seed in the Dallas regional and then the nearby Oklahoma City regional respectively. Lightning struck twice as the Lady Bears were stunned first by OR St and then by MS St.

Not to hijack this thread, but OKC is 4.5 hours from Waco...the regional final only had 3,128 fans show up so the Mississippi State game wasn't a home atmosphere. When UCONN plays in Albany it's just 2 hours away, and the last 2 years they've had 9000+ fans show up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They probably told Paige to spend as much time with Azzi now because she won't be spending much time with her in college, seeing how they will be at different schools:(.
Time for a Yogyism. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to hijack this thread, but OKC is 4.5 hours from Waco...the regional final only had 3,128 fans show up so the Mississippi State game wasn't a home atmosphere. When UCONN plays in Albany it's just 2 hours away, and the last 2 years they've had 9000+ fans show up.
OK, I’ll grant that Oklahoma City is more than a casual drive away from Waco, but Dallas is just a little over an hour, and OR St was a big underdog.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t know that a Jedi mind trick is required to contemplate that UConn would be more competitive against the top 3 teams in the country if they met a second time during the Big Dance. Over the past 25 years no one does a better job in preparing their team for the NCAA tournament than Geno. Of all the remarkable records established by UConn WBB, the most amazing, imo, is 12 straight visits to the FF.

We need only look at last season’s Elite 8 upset victory over Louisville or go back to the solid victory over ND in the 2013 FF, after losing 3 times to the Irish during that season. Some coaches are just simply better at getting their teams ready for the tournament. I would include MM & Tara among those coaches. Geno has not been perfect, but he is absolutely the best. As for Kim, Dawn and Graves, it remains to be seen if they can consistently position their respective teams to make a championship run year in and year out.
[/QUOTEOnce I would have loved to see what happened In NCAA's - agree that Geno is an x-factor and worth several points. We can all cherry pick history and find games that support a championship. As other posters pointed out, just as likely competition improved as well and would be stronger than we saw during season. I would rather focus my time on a team Geno appears to be building with height, fast guards and strong defense. More fun to comment on how we won than try to debate "maybe if this and that could happen."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom