So Azzi Just Put This Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So Azzi Just Put This Up

Reaction Score
Please provide the links to Paige and Azzi's high school 3pt shooting stats. I can only find USA basketball stats which show Paige shooting 25% (10-40) in 18 5x5 games. She shot 38.5% in 7 games of 3x3. Azzi shot 40.5% (17-42) in 15 5x5 games. In the USA basketball games both faced competition which is closer to what thet can expect to experience at the college level. So your assertion they are better 3pt shooters is based on opinion (impression) or real stats (facts). Don't get bent out of shape. I just want to know what their actual stats represent.

Hopkins has never posted individual 3 pt stats. Don't know about Fudd. My opinion is from observation, not stat books. Many share my opinion.
It may not be as easy as reading a stat sheet but .....

as for Fudd ..... see next post

Reaction Score
Please provide the links to Paige and Azzi's high school 3pt shooting stats. I can only find USA basketball stats which show Paige shooting 25% (10-40) in 18 5x5 games. She shot 38.5% in 7 games of 3x3. Azzi shot 40.5% (17-42) in 15 5x5 games. In the USA basketball games both faced competition which is closer to what thet can expect to experience at the college level. So your assertion they are better 3pt shooters is based on opinion (impression) or real stats (facts). Don't get bent out of shape. I just want to know what their actual stats represent.

Fudd:

Reaction Score
Except we are not talking about 1 game, we are talking about 3 games last year. Also PLUESE...don't give us UCONN's "lack experience" when SC started 3 freshman that severely beat down UCONN last year. The value of size is indeed dubious, especially when you don't have it.

I seem to be focused on experience while you are gaga over size. The truth may lie somewhere in between.

Here's how size worked out in 2017. UConn-66 S Car-55. It was Coates & Wilson vs Gabby Williams & Collier. Size didn't help S Carolina that day. Both Coates and Wilson were 6'4" I believe, while the UConn front court was 5'11" & 6'1". And the Herbert-Harrigan/Harris duo who were so instrumental this year combined to play 47 minutes in 2017, contributing a grand total of 7 pts & 5 boards between them. They shot 3-14 & 0-8 from 3. And I don't think they grew much between 2017 and 2020 so the logical conclusion is that the difference in the 2 games was the EXPERIENCE they gained in the 3 intervening years.

Reaction Score
Except we are not talking about 1 game, we are talking about 3 games last year.

Let's compare the 3 games you say were lost by a lack of size with the games against the same 3 teams in 2017.

Baylor had Brown, Cox and Mompremier
Oregon had Herbert and McGuire
S Carolina had Wilson and Coates

UConn had Collier and Williams

3 games in 2017 against teams with large size advantages. UConn won all 3. They beat Oregon (with Ionescu) 90-52. Now you can say that Collier/Williams were just better than ONO and Walker but what you can't say is that they had a size advantage.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I seem to be focused on experience while you are gaga over size. The truth may lie somewhere in between.

Here's how size worked out in 2017. UConn-66 S Car-55. It was Coates & Wilson vs Gabby Williams & Collier. Size didn't help S Carolina that day. Both Coates and Wilson were 6'4" I believe, while the UConn front court was 5'11" & 6'1". And the Herbert-Harrigan/Harris duo who were so instrumental this year combined to play 47 minutes in 2017, contributing a grand total of 7 pts & 5 boards between them. They shot 3-14 & 0-8 from 3. And I don't think they grew much between 2017 and 2020 so the logical conclusion is that the difference in the 2 games was the EXPERIENCE they gained in the 3 intervening years.
You can also add the Baylor game that year when UConn was at an even bigger size disadvantage. During that game, which UConn won 72-61, the Lady Bears used 4 players in their regular rotation who went 6'4", 6'4", 6'5" & 6'7".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hopkins has never posted individual 3 pt stats. Don't know about Fudd. My opinion is from observation, not stat books. Many share my opinion.
It may not be as easy as reading a stat sheet but .....

as for Fudd ..... see next post

The 3 is not a big part of Paige's game. She is very much more one to take it to the hoop or take the mid-range jumper. She certainly has a good 3 point stroke and she and Fudd have contests which are closely contested. I would expect the 3 to be more of a weapon at UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 3 is not a big part of Paige's game. She is very much more one to take it to the hoop or take the mid-range jumper. She certainly has a good 3 point stroke and she and Fudd have contests which are closely contested. I would expect the 3 to be more of a weapon at UConn.
I don't know if I would go as far as to say that the 3 is not a big part of Paige's game. She certainly prefers to get everyone else involved, but she can shoot it as well. Paige actually announced her presence in HS during a Hopkins game as a freshman, coming off the bench, when she knocked down 8 or 9 threes.

Paige has a really nice shooting motion from the arc. I would not rate her as quite as good a shooter as Azzi, but Paige probably presents a greater defensive challenge. If you play off her, Paige is capable of lighting it up from outside. If a defender attempts to play her tight, she will blow by the defender to either find a cutting teammate or finish at the rim. Paige is truly a "pick your poison" kind of player to defend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Another point is that Bueckers (and Fudd) is working all the time. In the 8th grade video she shot 3's from her shoulder. Today she has a much higher release point. Not a lot of HS players revamp a stroke that was that efficient until they get to college and many never change it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know if I would go as far as to say that the 3 is not a big part of Paige's game. She certainly prefers to get everyone else involved, but she can shoot it as well. Paige actually announced her presence in HS during a Hopkins game as a freshman, coming off the bench, when she knocked down 8 or 9 threes.

Paige has a really nice shooting motion from the arc. I would not rate her as quite as good a shooter as Azzi, but Paige probably presents a greater defensive challenge. If you play off her, Paige is capable of lighting it up from outside. If a defender attempts to play her tight, she will blow by the defender to either find a cutting teammate or finish at the rim. Paige is truly a "pick your poison" kind of player to defend.

I did not mean that in a disparaging way. She has a great stroke. I recall an announcer saying she had just 22-23 threes going into the playoffs. For Paige it has been a choice. As her teammate Maya N says, she can score every time down the floor, but she chooses to build her teammates. Maya certainly has been a benficiary of this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm happy to welcome Paige to Northern Virginia! She's just down the road (5 miles?) from me. Yes, she's been hanging with the Fudds for a few weeks or more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know where there are hard numbers, but my impression is that Azzi shot close to 50%, possibly higher, from 3-point range in each of her freshman and sophomore seasons. I'm not sure about her abbreviated junior (post-surgery) season. She's a 50/40/90 shooter clearly, and possibly a 60/50/90 shooter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I logged on a moment ago as I do 7-8 times a day hoping to read that Azzi has announced her verbal to UConn. One of these times I’m going to log on, and it will be there. I’m patient, I can wait. :) Stay safe everyone.

Reaction Score
I logged on a moment ago as I do 7-8 times a day hoping to read that Azzi has announced her verbal to UConn. One of these times I’m going to log on, and it will be there. I’m patient, I can wait. :) Stay safe everyone.
I do the same daily Carnac. I checked 10 times today since it's my birthday. Do you think she knows? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm doing the same, every day I check on Azzi. With all the craziness going on with the virus, I think I'd like to lock my future in as soon as possible, or maybe I'm just being more paranoid than usual. :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's compare the 3 games you say were lost by a lack of size with the games against the same 3 teams in 2017.

Baylor had Brown, Cox and Mompremier
Oregon had Herbert and McGuire
S Carolina had Wilson and Coates

UConn had Collier and Williams

3 games in 2017 against teams with large size advantages. UConn won all 3. They beat Oregon (with Ionescu) 90-52. Now you can say that Collier/Williams were just better than ONO and Walker but what you can't say is that they had a size advantage.
Except we are not talking about 1 game, we are talking about 3 games last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm happy to welcome Paige to Northern Virginia! She's just down the road (5 miles?) from me. Yes, she's been hanging with the Fudds for a few weeks or more.
I guess I have to look more closely at the campfire photo but I guess that could be you lurking in the bushes...I just don't know that you would want to bring evidentiary photos to confirm you're a stalker...:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Three games is also a pretty small sample size.
The 3 loses last year were statistically significant for a number of reason. The most important stat is UCONN only beat 1 team last year which had a taller front court and that was TN. The same can be said of the prior season UCONN had 3 loses to teams that had a taller front line. In the post Breanna Stewart era ALL UCONN loses have come against teams that have a taller front line. How much longer are we going to keep pretending that size in the front court doesn't matter?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I do the same daily Carnac. I checked 10 times today since it's my birthday. Do you think she knows? :rolleyes:

Happy birthday AmeriConn!! Birthdays are always special, especially when you become a senior citizen. If she didn’t know before, she knows now. It’s a good bet she knows about the boneyard and just might drop in once in awhile to see what the UConn fans are talking about. I‘m sure the boneyard and the Nation would love to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by celebrating your birthday (and her commitment) if Azzi would ring the bell today.

She’s going to reveal her verbal sometime this summer. No doubt the day/time she picks to do so will have a significance to her. If not today, maybe tomorrow. So we wait, and wait, and wait.......

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Happy birthday AmeriConn!! Birthdays are always special, especially when you become a senior citizen. Well, I sure the boneyard and the Nation would love to celebrate your birthday (and her commitment) if Azzi would ring the bell today.

She’s going to reveal her verbal sometime this summer. No doubt the day/time she picks to do so will have a significance to her. If not today, maybe tomorrow. So we wait, and wait, and wait.......
It would be wonderful if Azzi would reveal her decision soon. For one thing, Azzi could get Paige to stop badgering her everyday. But I would not be surprised if Azzi waits until fall to make her announcement at HS surrounded by teammates. Of course that assumes that kids actually get to go back to school in the fall.

Reaction Score
The 3 loses last year were statistically significant for a number of reason. The most important stat is UCONN only beat 1 team last year which had a taller front court and that was TN. The same can be said of the prior season UCONN had 3 loses to teams that had a taller front line. In the post Breanna Stewart era ALL UCONN loses have come against teams that have a taller front line. How much longer are we going to keep pretending that size in the front court doesn't matter?

I don't think anyone is pretending that. But if two last second jump shots bounce out, then your sample size shrinks considerably. The truth is a little more complicated than you suggest. And there are better ways to argue that UConn is size-disadvantaged than citing a hand-full of games or only focusing on our (very few) losses.

Reaction Score
I don't know where there are hard numbers, but my impression is that Azzi shot close to 50%, possibly higher, from 3-point range in each of her freshman and sophomore seasons. I'm not sure about her abbreviated junior (post-surgery) season. She's a 50/40/90 shooter clearly, and possibly a 60/50/90 shooter.
Azzi is also an amazing shooter when she has good players around her. In her sophomore year when she had a couple D1 recruits with her that minimized the triple teams and she could really get her shot off..... and you know where she'll be surrounded by great players who will spread the floor....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is pretending that. But if two last second jump shots bounce out, then your sample size shrinks considerably. The truth is a little more complicated than you suggest. And there are better ways to argue that UConn is size-disadvantaged than citing a hand-full of games or only focusing on our (very few) losses.
I'm focusing on ALL the UCONN loses. If there is a better way to express my previous truth that we were outsize on the front line in ALL those loses I'd gladly listen. Truth doesn't change however determined people are to avoid it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom