SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed but I'll wait to see if I can get the games on Comcast out here in Oregon. The streaming at $60 was a bargain because I'm not interested in Uconn's men's basketball or football or the myriad of other sports offered on many sports packages.

Reaction Score
The "Heart & Soul", of CPTV's Womens basketball program has been Harriet Unger ... it was a job and a half for her, and she did a terrific job holding the program together...but NOW she is without ... Let's hope CPTV finda a nice nitch for her till retirement...
Here's The Best To A lady of Pure Class....
-Bill

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am sad to see CPTV go, but I am not surprised. Between money and product I was pretty sure they wouldn't be able to compete.
I like the idea of pre/post game shows and especially like the idea of legends show in addition to the Geno show. I have Charter and get SNY (I guess that is the sports pack?) and in FL I have ATT Uverse (which I love by the way) which also gets SNY so I am a happy camper not having to deal with the streaming which was sometime rather frustrating.

I think the 17 game minimum was in the RFP and I expect SNY will try for additional games but most of that is dependent on a negotiation issue with local broadcast rights owners.
I do think the broader footprint of SNY will help on the marketing on Uconn WBB. And whether it is ESPN3 or another source, I expect there will be a streaming option for those that do not get SNY
Special thanks to CPTV for a glorious 18 year run!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We threw our friends out for 20 G's, now I feel even worse.

That is wrong.

"The rights fee provided to the University by SNY is anticipated to be $4.55 million over the four-year term of the contract which will cover the 2012-13 season through 2015-16 - approximately $1.14 million annually. The rights fee in the previous four-year agreement for UConn women's basketball television rights averaged $900,000 annually."

1.14 - .9 = .24 or 240k per year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No, 200K plus PER YEAR.

$4,550,000 vs $3,600,000.

That's a difference of $950,000 or $237,500 per year.

Just to be clear, I don't think we know for sure what CPTV's bid was for the new contract. The $900,000 figure is what CPTV paid for the rights under the recently expired contract.

The rights fee provided to the University by SNY is anticipated to be $4.55 million over the four-year term of the contract which will cover the 2012-13 season through 2015-16 - approximately $1.14 million annually. The rights fee in the previous four-year agreement for UConn women's basketball television rights averaged $900,000 annually.

I haven't read that this was the annual amount CPTV proposed to pay UConn in its bid for the rights under the new contract.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well there are some HUGE question marks here despite the positive spin being put on by UCONN & SNY. Most importantly to me is how will they handle conflicts with other programming. That was never an issue with CPTV but it scares me to see multiple eggs in one basket on a Sports Network. Also the excellent bonus coverage we always got with CPTV (In particular - Senior Night coverage) is probably not going to be a priority for SNY. This new "Geno Legacy" thing and the Geno Show are supposed to pacify us but when will they be on? Before the games , after the games or at some bizarre time to accomodate other sports programming? Lots of unkowns folks. Wonder if they gave CPTV the chance to match the bid (?) or if the biggest goal was to expand the coverage area (Particularly in NY) which SNY gives them.

Reaction Score
I guess this is the way to go from a purely business perspective. More
money, promoting the UConn brand through greater exposure outside
of Connecticut, etc. But I can't help feeling a little wistful.

It's an imperfect analogy, but it seems a bit like divorcing your wife of
nearly twenty years. Now that you've achieved great success, fame and
fortune, you dump the old girl for a new trophy wife.

Or like in the old Mafia movies when someone is about to get murdered:
"... it ain't poisonal Carmine, it's business...".

Hopefully UConn can find an old bone or two to throw CPTV's way. Maybe
let them peddle the media guide or a yearbook.

OK - now I'm finally out of metaphors.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I don't think we know for sure what CPTV's bid was for the new contract. The $900,000 figure is what CPTV paid for the rights under the recently expired contract.

The rights fee provided to the University by SNY is anticipated to be $4.55 million over the four-year term of the contract which will cover the 2012-13 season through 2015-16 - approximately $1.14 million annually. The rights fee in the previous four-year agreement for UConn women's basketball television rights averaged $900,000 annually.

I haven't read that this was the annual amount CPTV proposed to pay UConn in its bid for the rights under the new contract.
Based on how they struggled to make money (if they did) on the 900K, I doubt it was more than that.

Reaction Score
That is wrong.

"The rights fee provided to the University by SNY is anticipated to be $4.55 million over the four-year term of the contract which will cover the 2012-13 season through 2015-16 - approximately $1.14 million annually. The rights fee in the previous four-year agreement for UConn women's basketball television rights averaged $900,000 annually."

1.14 - .9 = .24 or 240k per year.

But what did CPTV bid for the future 4 years? The $240k relates to the prior 4 year contract paid by CPTV vs. the new 4 year future agreement by SNY. CPTV might have bid more (or less given the hard time they were claiming getting donations) for the future four years than they paid for the previous contract.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well there are some HUGE question marks here despite the positive spin being put on by UCONN & SNY. Most importantly to me is how will they handle conflicts with other programming. That was never an issue with CPTV but it scares me to see multiple eggs in one basket on a Sports Network. Also the excellent bonus coverage we always got with CPTV (In particular - Senior Night coverage) is probably not going to be a priority for SNY. This new "Geno Legacy" thing and the Geno Show are supposed to pacify us but when will they be on? Before the games , after the games or at some bizarre time to accomodate other sports programming? Lots of unkowns folks. Wonder if they gave CPTV the chance to match the bid (?) or if the biggest goal was to expand the coverage area (Particularly in NY) which SNY gives them.
There is no way that CPTV could match that bid. They probably lost money on the 900K per year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Jerry Franklin via Rich Elliott's twitter, CPTV's bid was $4.537 million

Jerry also had this to say: ``I just got up and got the #UConn tread marks off my back. I’m pretty disappointed.’

From nbcconnecticut:

Obviously we are devastated and disappointed that they went with a New York-based firm," said Jerry Franklin, president and CEO of CPTV. "We have had an 18-year history with UConn and thousands of people have told me over the years that we helped build UConn women's basketball into a national phenomenon. We have been inundated with people who are upset about this, and tomorrow there with be thousands more people who are upset. We think we have done more to increase visibility of women's basketball than any other media outlet," he said.

Franklin said CPTV asked UConn for a second look so that the station could try and match SNY's bid, but weren't granted one. He said he believes Herbst wants to promote UConn in New York, but that he wishes the team the best of luck in future seasons.

Reaction Score

They said there will be a PRE & POST game show, in addition to a weekly coach's show. That's actually more than CPTV did.

I would assume scheduling will be worked out before the season. UConn was already able to keep the men and women from playing at the same time, so this would be similar.

The only question I see is the online situation.

Reaction Score
Local TV reported the difference was $20K per year. I hope that was lazy (and incorrect) reporting on their part.

What ever the amount, I think there is some value in loyalty. Yes, yes, I understand there might be more eyeballs, more exposure; I could even be convinced the product might be better but...I just hope they didn't toss CPTV for a lousy $20k per year.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine this will help us even more with NYC tri state area recruits.

Reaction Score
Now I wonder who the broadcasting team will be. I bet Bob Picozzi will be part of the team.

I'm gonna bet against Picozzi. I don't know if he's an official employee of ESPN or a contractor, but I would assume ESPN doesn't want its talent working for its major competitor Comcast (which owns SNY). [CPTV, as a niche player, was never a competitor and thus would not have been an issue.]

Eric Frede, in contrast, works for Comcast New England. I would bet on him.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm gonna bet against Picozzi. I don't know if he's an official employee of ESPN or a contractor, but I would assume ESPN doesn't want its talent working for its major competitor Comcast (which owns SNY). [CPTV, as a niche player, was never a competitor and thus would not have been an issue.]

Eric Frede, in contrast, works for Comcast New England. I would bet on him.

Good call. I like Eric a lot. I also thought Meghan was better alongside Eric.

Reaction Score
this is a clear case of money talking, what ever the number is.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that many government contracts must go to the best $$ offer as long as all the criteria of the RFP are met. I don't know if those rules apply to this situation.

Reaction Score
Loyalty? Have these people seen what has happened in college athletics with conferences and conference members stabbing each other in the back?

Right now, with the football team in an uncertain era with a new coach, and Jim Calhoun possibly heading to retirement in another year or 2 with his program currently banned from the NCAA and Big East tournaments it is beyond irresponsible for the Unviersity of Connecticut to turn down an offer to increase the NY area visibility and brand of it's strongest and most consistent athletic program. It help's not only the program but the entire brand of the UConn name. UConn needs to do everything it possibly can to build up it's brand and make itself as attractive as possible next time a conference is looking to expand.

CPTV is owed a debt of gratitude for all they have done, but times are a changing in college athletics.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Based on what CPTV is saying, they were very close in their bids. Wow. My bad.

But it kinda makes me wonder how much their begging was overdone considering they bid around a million more for the 4 years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The contract will stipulate that they will broadcast live games. As far as when the non-live programming will be aired, DVRs work amazingly well.

I understand the desire to increase UConn's footprint in NYC. All of the conference realignment has been around markets. UConn's ability to claim it brings a healthy chunk of the NYC market will be critical. Whether WBB really helps along those lines remains to be seen, but it is one of UConn's premium brands.

There's a lot more at stake here than what SNY bid vs CPTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom