SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Respectfully, I disagree. The decision cannot be exclusively a financial one. As a resource of the state of Connecticut, the University has an obligation to serve all of the citizens of this state, including those who cannot afford they confiscatory rates charged by Comcast. One of the great benefits of having the games telecast by CPTV was that no cable connection was required. And now many of our citizens will be deprived of the opportunity to watch these games. A sad indictment of the greed that has infected so much of our society.
We are talking a very, VERY small subset of UConn fans that do not have access to cable or satellite. By exposing more people to the University of Connecticut, and yes, by accepting more money - the greater good of the University, and the citizens of this state, are served.

Games can still be attended. Games can still be viewed. They can be viewed on SNY, they can be viewed on line. They can be heard on the radio. For the folks that don't have cable, then someone they know most assuredly does. A local watering hole most assuredly does. There are plenty of viable options.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I disagree. The decision cannot be exclusively a financial one. As a resource of the state of Connecticut, the University has an obligation to serve all of the citizens of this state, including those who cannot afford they confiscatory rates charged by Comcast. One of the great benefits of having the games telecast by CPTV was that no cable connection was required. And now many of our citizens will be deprived of the opportunity to watch these games. A sad indictment of the greed that has infected so much of our society.
...and now, the games will be available to a much wider range of UConn fans than before. I'd say that qualifies as serving all of its citizens.

And besides, this is a great move for the simple fact that we no longer have to endure those CPTV people begging us for money every commercial break.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am 100% positive this was a strategic decision and not a $20,000 per year decision. In which case, UConn did CPTV a (small) favor by not allowing them to re-bid. I work on enough RFPs to know how much of a pain it is to re-scramble everyone in a last-ditch effort to win business. If winning the business really wasn't going to be possible, UConn kept CPTV from wasting their time. I'm sure it doesn't feel that way to CPTV, but in a really cold, factual sense, it's the truth.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
"indictment of greed"' but you really have no idea how many CT residents do not have cable. I'm pretty sure that whatever that number is, it is nowhere near as many as those of us who live outside CT and had to rely on Hoopstreams before, at $60 a season.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's ethical to let the "other" bidder to see the other guy's numbers - No matter the outcome, I would have been disappointed in such a scenario.

Apparently, the school had the option of accepting the lower bid if the intangibles were better with the other bidder. In a sense, I'm glad SNY offered a better $$ amount (no matter how piddling). It would have been tough to see UCONN reject a "better" CPTV bid.

As disappointed as I am emotionally, SNY's (view in its' entirety) is probably a better deal.

Thanks again CPTV

Have you no pity? At long last, no sense of compassion?

CPTV had also twice asked UConn if it could have a “last look’’ so that it would have the opportunity to match the highest bid. A final such request was made last Friday, according to Franklin, and there was no response from UConn.
Jerry said "Save the last dance for me." And when he crossed the dance floor, where was his intended partner?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Look.

If SNY knew that CPTV would have gotten a last look, they would have made a higher offer. UConn knew this. That tells me that this is about coverage area as much as it is about money.

CPTV is a great organization, but it would have been financially irresponsible for them to match this offer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, damn that Gerry Brooks. Stop just reading that prompter...research!!
it was Keisha Grant that said it at 5 or 5:30p (she's such a cutie)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, UConn chose the bidder that provided greatest exposure (millions more), in an important DMA who also offerred the most money for the product. It's an OUTRAGE. Govenor Malloy I demand an explanation!

Reaction Score
For anyone who doesn't get SNY locally and your only interested in Uconn basketball, if you have access to ATT uverse I recommend it. It only costs $10 a month to add the sports package which has SNY so you pay only $50-$60 a year for the months you want and actually get to see them on TV instead of streaming. I'm in SC and watch all the men's games with no problem. If you want to watch Mets games though they black those out, have to watch on MLB.com or pay a fortune for directtv package.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
it was Keisha Grant that said it at 5 or 5:30p (she's such a cutie)

She is amazingly hot... the hottest anchor in CT but I heard Jerry at 11pm. So they didn't correct it in between newscasts?

Reaction Score
For anyone who doesn't get SNY locally and your only interested in Uconn basketball, if you have access to ATT uverse I recommend it. It only costs $10 a month to add the sports package which has SNY so you pay only $50-$60 a year for the months you want and actually get to see them on TV instead of streaming. I'm in SC and watch all the men's games with no problem. If you want to watch Mets games though they black those out, have to watch on MLB.com or pay a fortune for directtv package.
I'd wait till things shake out... this was a requirement of the RFP:​
"The successful contractor will be required to demonstrate its ability to deliver a high quality production, including a requirement for HD broadcasts. In addition, the contractor must ensure, at a minimum, 100% statewide distribution. On cable systems,such distribution must include availability on a basic or expanded basic level of service (not a sports tier or other premium service level).

http://www.purchasing.uconn.edu/staff/bids/KJ100711_local_television_broadcast_rights.pdf

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Local TV reported the difference was $20K per year. I hope that was lazy (and incorrect) reporting on their part.

What ever the amount, I think there is some value in loyalty. Yes, yes, I understand there might be more eyeballs, more exposure; I could even be convinced the product might be better but...I just hope they didn't toss CPTV for a lousy $20k per year.

They are a state school, and there may be rules, or even laws covering competitive bids. Many private companies asks for bids, and have the freedom to choose something other than the lowest (or highest, in this case) but I wouldn't be surprised if UConn did not have that flexibility.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rich's blog has a statement from President Herbst. As an alumnus, I have been very impressed with her willingness to tackle tough issues and effectively communicate her decisions and reasoning.

Living in the D.C. area, I have never seen a game on CPTV, though I give the network a little financial support. I understand that the Huskies and CPTV have been inextricably connected for 18 years. I feel badly about the break-up, but think the new partner will benefit the university substantially more going forward. As a totally incidental note, I think I will be able to watch the games on Direct TV. I'm looking forward to that. (The streaming video was not directly compatible with the Apple products I have.)

Reaction Score
So, UConn chose the bidder that provided greatest exposure (millions more), in an important DMA who also offerred the most money for the product. It's an OUTRAGE. Govenor Malloy I demand an explanation!
For GOD's sake don't get Malloy involved...UConn would end up with NO televised games!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She is amazingly hot... the hottest anchor in CT but I heard Jerry at 11pm. So they didn't correct it in between newscasts?
actually they got it right BOTH times... 20K was the difference! (I think, Doggy threw me off with his figures)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'd wait till things shake out... this was a requirement of the RFP:​
"The successful contractor will be required to demonstrate its ability to deliver a high quality production, including a requirement for HD broadcasts. In addition, the contractor must ensure, at a minimum, 100% statewide distribution. On cable systems,such distribution must include availability on a basic or expanded basic level of service (not a sports tier or other premium service level).

http://www.purchasing.uconn.edu/staff/bids/KJ100711_local_television_broadcast_rights.pdf
so that means Charter and all those other small cable provider (in CT) will have SNY very soon?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
so that means Charter and all those other small cable provider (in CT) will have SNY very soon?

Were the CPTV broadcasts HD?

mr006

Reaction Score

so that means it will be free over the air very soon? (for those who choose not to order cable) :-P

Reaction Score

"The successful contractor will be required to demonstrate its ability to deliver a high quality production, including a requirement for HD broadcasts. In addition, the contractor must ensure, at a minimum, 100% statewide distribution. On cable systems,such distribution must include availability on a basic or expanded basic level of service (not a sports tier or other premium service level)"

DirecTV has 100% statewide distribution, and since it's not a "cable system," the games can be on a sports tier or premium service level. That would seem to be all that's needed to satisfy this poorly worded requirement.

mr006

Reaction Score
a couple more random thoughts... maybe already covered, there are so many posts around.
--so I guess UConn Womens Basketball is a commodity now... probably has been for a while. Probably ever since we started getting those dirty gray alternate uniforms from sporting goods manufacturers. (I always wonder if Nike or whoever is having a good laugh at the expense of our girls when they do things like that to us...)
--so now 20 million people (instead of 2 million) can yawn as we are running East Podunk State off the floor and complain that the games are boring and always blowouts.
--and complain about the same annoying commercial that's on for the fourth media timeout in a row :p (BTW, wasn't cable TV mostly commercial-free when it started?)
--and will any of those 20 million make the trek to storrs to fill the many vacant seats of late? our crowds of 6500 are not as impressive to all those recruits we are now reaching...
--it was said in a previous post that SNY will do a better job than CPTV because for SNY, it is their "business". Well, does "business" as opposed to "hobby" mean that the end result is always better? How about the "hobby" woodworkers who produce better results than a lot of "businesses" mass-producing ever could? Yeah, they may promise us specials and Geno shows, but will it have the warmth and intimate feeling and personal touch that we are used to? I tend to doubt it. And it's odd that later in the same post, the complaint was that ESPN bolts out of our games. Well, it's a business for them too... so is SNY going to lean closer to ESPN's idea of "business"? What happens on those times when the men and women's games overlap? I'm hoping that SNY will have a say in keeping that from happening, because guess who's going to lose that battle...
--maybe CPTV can look into broadcasting some Hartford games.... I'd watch. And they could probably make their pledge goals by halftime :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom