SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UconnHuskies - Link

I don't live in the Northeast, nor do I have Comcast, so I hope there is a streaming option like CPTV had.

Reaction Score
Sad day. I hope SNY carries the full slate of games like CPTV did.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Oh no! I don't think this will be good for those of us not in the area...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The games will be on ESPN3.

Yes, the men's games broadcast on SNY are always shown on ESPN3. That works for me.

Now I wonder who the broadcasting team will be. I bet Bob Picozzi will be part of the team.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The games will be on ESPN3.

Are you sure? SNY and ESPN are separate companies. SNY sometimes buys telecast rights to games from ESPN, but it seldom works the other way. If SNY has acquired the original rights to UConn games, it would be unusual for ESPN3 to show them as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As someone with Comcast and access to SNY, I'm looking forward to a better product.

And I'd like to thank CPTV for all they did the last 18 years.

Yes, as annoying as the CPTV broadcasts could be, we fans owe them a big hearty thank-you for bringing us many Husky memories over the years.

For a lot of business reasons this deal seems to make sense. But I'm sure it's bitter-sweet for Geno and others.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Are you sure? SNY and ESPN are separate companies. SNY sometimes buys telecast rights to games from ESPN, but it seldom works the other way. If SNY has acquired the original rights to UConn games, it would be unusual for ESPN3 to show them as well.

As I mentioned in another post, all of the UConn men's games carried on SNY were available on ESPN3 (perhaps subject to blackout which didn't affect me in Philadelphia.)

Reaction Score
to all of you without Comcast, it is now time to to get DirecTV. Get the sports package and you will have SNY. DTV is way superior to cable and with the sports package you can see Stanford on CSNBay area, you will get lots of SEC and Big 12 games and even the who cares Big 10 games. Also, all the ESPN, VS, CBSSPORTS NET AND FOX games. I live in NC and this is great news for me and it should be for everyone if it is a priority for you to have uConn wcbb.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
dang no more Geno Show.. that sucks

Did you read the release? Here's a quote:

SNY will devote approximately 325 hours of coverage annually to UConn women's basketball. In addition to the live games, there will be game replays, an in-season weekly coach's show and a new program called "Geno's Legacy." This program, which would have two to three episodes annually, would feature interviews with former UConn players who have played a major role in the history of the program and highlight what these players are now doing in their lives.

The annual number of hours also features in-depth pre game and post game shows for each broadcast that would originate live from SNY's street-level studio -- in the heart of Manhattan -- directly across the street from Radio City Music Hall.

Reaction Score
A few highlights:
  • Similar to past years, a minimum of 17 live UConn games will be televised as part of the SNY package. The exact number of games is dependent on several factors related to BIG EAST broadcast agreements, including the number of games selected for national television.
  • SNY will devote approximately 325 hours of coverage annually to UConn women's basketball.
  • In addition to the live games, there will be game replays, an in-season weekly coach's show and a new program called "Geno's Legacy." This program, which would have two to three episodes annually, would feature interviews with former UConn players who have played a major role in the history of the program and highlight what these players are now doing in their lives.
  • The annual number of hours also features in-depth pre game and post game shows for each broadcast that would originate live from SNY's street-level studio -- in the heart of Manhattan -- directly across the street from Radio City Music Hall.
17 games seems a bit low, but maybe not. I know that 2-3 Big East games end up on ESPN or CBSCS, as well as most of the good non-conference games, and that the Paradise Jam probably wont be televised.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Did you actually read the article?

There is going to be a weekly coach's show, as well as a semi-regular feature called Geno's Legacy. And game replays.

Given that all the men's games and football games broadcast through SNY are available on espn3, I doubt WBB will be much different. I feel bad for CPTV, but this does not seem like a bad change in the immediate future.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They will broadcast a minimum of 17 games. Last year CPTV carried 21 with 9 games on either ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS or CBSSN.

We might miss a few of the really crappy teams. But I'm thrilled with the better production.

Reaction Score
Nope i didnt read the whole thing but thanks.. I live in New York City so even basic cable i would be able to get SNY lol.. but on a good note i save myself those $60 from CPTV

SNY will devote approximately 325 hours of coverage annually to UConn women's basketball. In addition to the live games, there will be game replays, an in-season weekly coach's show and a new program called "Geno's Legacy." This program, which would have two to three episodes annually, would feature interviews with former UConn players who have played a major role in the history of the program and highlight what these players are now doing in their lives.

The annual number of hours also features in-depth pre game and post game shows for each broadcast that would originate live from SNY's street-level studio -- in the heart of Manhattan -- directly across the street from Radio City Music Hall.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
17 games seems a bit low, but maybe not. I know that 2-3 Big East games end up on ESPN or CBSCS, as well as most of the good non-conference games, and that the Paradise Jam probably wont be televised.

The announcement says a minimum of 17 games. Last year CPTV broadcasted 21 UConn games, but remember that a few of the games were added to the broadcast schedule after the schedule was initially announced. For a few games, CPTV had to negotiate rights with local broadcast networks (e.g., the Marquette game (who will ever forget that announcing team), the DePaul game, etc). So, I would expect all of the games not carried by national networks or played in the VI will be carried by SNY. If not, they'll hear from us!!

Reaction Score
No I didnt read the whole article
Did you actually read the article?

There is going to be a weekly coach's show, as well as a semi-regular feature called Geno's Legacy. And game replays.

Given that all the men's games and football games broadcast through SNY are available on espn3, I doubt WBB will be much different. I feel bad for CPTV, but this does not seem like a bad change in the immediate future.

Reaction Score
Marie, read this "SNY will devote approximately 325 hours of coverage annually to UConn women's basketball. In addition to the live games, there will be game replays, an in-season weekly coach's show and a new program called "Geno's Legacy." This program, which would have two to three episodes annually, would feature interviews with former UConn players who have played a major role in the history of the program and highlight what these players are now doing in their lives." Geno show lives !!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Love this quote from Geno:

"I am very excited that SNY will be our television home for the next four years," says UConn women's basketball head coach Geno Auriemma. "This agreement will continue to provide all of our loyal fans in the state of Connecticut an opportunity to watch our team play and will also help us develop a whole new group of UConn women's basketball fans throughout the Northeast and the entire nation. SNY will also allow us to showcase UConn women's basketball to a larger audience, which will support our recruiting efforts and help us maintain the level of success in our program."

Reaction Score

AWESOME!

Reaction Score
This absolutely sucks. Those of us in MA that get Charter will not see any of the games on TV (yeah maybe they are shown on ESPN 3, but it's not the same) and I, for one, am not changing providers just to help UCONN sports line their pockets even more. Loyalty to the wonderful folks at CPTV seems to be a thing of the past. I know people will say it's just a business but they were there when no one else was and that in my book counts for something. This is by far worse than hearing that DD went to UNC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Every men's basketball game on SNY has been on ESPN3. Don't see why this would be any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom