SMU a 6? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SMU a 6?

Reaction Score
SMU got hosed in their seed number but they have a totally winnable path to the Sweet Sixteen. Providence and USC are both pretty bad for bubble teams, and Baylor is easily the worst 3 seed. Plus the games aren't too far away in Tulsa.

Reaction Score
SMU had 3 of their 4 losses before December started and the other was to Cincy by 2 points. So they beat TCU who beat #1 Kansas in the Big 12 tourney. Question, would you want to have to play them? Hope they get to play and beat Duke, it's as close to enjoyment that this tourney will bring me.

Resume vs. team strength is the big debate.

By team strength, they should be a 3 or 4 seed. (KenPom #11)

By resume, they should be a 6 seed. They beat literally nobody in nonconf and best win on the road is Houston.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Backwards. The conference didn't bring UConn down. We brought the conference down.
Backwards?

We have this mess of a conference a freaking title in year 1 in one of the two revenue sports. If that doesn't give you a stellar start as a new conference fighting for respect then I don't know what will. Since that point the conference has only been slowly sinking back down from that 2014 high while bringing better programs down with it.

Our play has certainly not warranted any special behavior lately, but seeing a negative loop like this just scares me.

To get out of the AAC or improve its perception we need to start winning, to start winning we need to perform, and to perform we need to be actively working to put ourselves in favorable situations for the post season, yet the AAC makes that very difficult. It's a self perpetuating loop of quick sand.

Reaction Score
It sucks but it's not surprising in the least. It's the new reality and won't change. The Power 5 wants to do to college basketball what it did to college football. And UConn, Memphis, and Temple were ALL down this year so it was not a good year for the league.

It's up to SMU to have a deep run and earn some respect for the league. It's not the seed, it's the path and they have a manageable path with Providence/Baylor. They had a clear path to the Sweet 16 2 years ago and choked away a 7 pt lead with 1:30 left to a UCLA team that shouldn't haven even made it. Sooner or later a team outside of UConn needs to carry the torch.

Reaction Score
Other thoughts:

Iowa State and Michigan were in similar situations going into conference weekend. Iowa St won theirs and got a 5 and Michigan won and got a 7. Don't think the committee had as much respect for the Big10 as Ok state also got in as a 10 and were a question mark. But Minny did jump way up to 5, not sure how although they are good. Butler a 4? Creighton a 6? We'll see I guess.

Some great match ups for sure, will be fun to watch next Thursday to Sunday. Besides Arizona, WVU jumps out at me as someone the Zags don't want to see.
Cute match up in FL with FSU and FGCU, like it.
Good for Northwestern!

Wish our Huskies were playing but oh well, some great hoops to watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Absolutely. College sports just gets less and less fun for me every season. This year I watched every Husky football and basketball game except like 2 and didn't watch another game start to finish besides the college football playoff.

I still watch a ton of games because I just don't care about the NBA or NFL.

College basketball especially has started to feel like pro wrestling.

So I follow it closely because I've had an incredible gambling season. If it wasn't for gambling I'd probably start watching netflix.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I disagree that SMU got screwed on their seed. Despite their rankings, their non-conference schedule was anything but top notch, and they lost to a couple of tournament teams, and had a bad loss to a non- tournament team.

Some of that wasn't their fault. Some of the teams on their schedule could have been good out of conference wins, but they ended up not having good seasons.

They beat Gardner-Webb, Eastern Michigan, UCSB, CSU-Bakersfield (barely), Delaware St., McNeese St. and Albany. None of those wins does anything for you.

They beat Pitt, TCU and Stanford as their three best OOC wins.

They lost to USC, Michigan by 24, and Boise St.

I don't think they got screwed at all. That's a fairly weak overall OOC schedule. They should take a page from Geno's OOC scheduling. He doesn't have to, but in order to quiet the critics who would say he sails through a weak conference schedule and plays nobody OOC, he takes on anybody and everybody from the top 10 willing to play us. SMU is going to rack up a lot of conference W's. They need to schedule at least two or three perennial elite teams every season OOC. They didn't this season and it's reflected in their seed.

Where I'd argue they got screwed is they could face USC right out of the gate, a team they lost to during the regular season. That could be seen as disrespect from the committee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So I follow it closely because I've had an incredible gambling season. If it wasn't for gambling I'd probably start watching netflix.

Same for me. College basketball has never been the same since 2013 when a certain league was torn apart.

None of the tournaments have any atmosphere like BET at MSG. No Bilas/Raf/McDonough. No Big East Big Monday. Northeastern schools in different conferences they have no business being in (and ALL being hurt by it). Rivalries ripped apart and now schools with nothing in common are trying to create new ones. Football factories starting to dominate when they could care less about basketball. Blue Bloods like Duke and Kentucky starting to dominate every year with the new one and done rule. And of course UConn having the AAC albatross around it's neck. It's just been awful. My interest is waning with each year.

Reaction Score
Heading into the AACT championship game today, I felt the winner would end up a #4 seed and the loser a #5.

Seeing both as a #6 is a travesty and is yet another nail in the coffin that despite every protest to the contrary, conference affiliation is not only not irrelevant, but is highly considered in the selection and seeding process.

Consider also that #33 RPI Illinois State was given equal consideration to #84 Syracuse.

P5's get fluffed, mid-majors (which we are) get hosed.

This conference will kill the program if we don't kill it ourselves first.

Reaction Score
I feel for SMU as they got screwed on seeding but they get to play Friday, play near home, and play the weakest 3. They will beat Baylor. Then they get Duke. But when you get to the Sweet 16 you are going to play someone good. This is how this works...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Heading into the AACT championship game today, I felt the winner would end up a #4 seed and the loser a #5.

Seeing both as a #6 is a travesty and is yet another nail in the coffin that despite every protest to the contrary, conference affiliation is not only not irrelevant, but is highly considered in the selection and seeding process.

Consider also that #33 RPI Illinois State was given equal consideration to #84 Syracuse.

P5's get fluffed, mid-majors (which we are) get hosed.

This conference will kill the program if we don't kill it ourselves first.

Not a coincidence they are on the same line. That way they could finish the bracket before the game ended.

Reaction Score
Other thoughts:

Iowa State and Michigan were in similar situations going into conference weekend. Iowa St won theirs and got a 5 and Michigan won and got a 7. Don't think the committee had as much respect for the Big10 as Ok state also got in as a 10 and were a question mark. But Minny did jump way up to 5, not sure how although they are good. Butler a 4? Creighton a 6? We'll see I guess.

Some great match ups for sure, will be fun to watch next Thursday to Sunday. Besides Arizona, WVU jumps out at me as someone the Zags don't want to see.
Cute match up in FL with FSU and FGCU, like it.
Good for Northwestern!

Wish our Huskies were playing but oh well, some great hoops to watch.
I think the committee viewed the Big 12 as a superior league to the Big 10. FWIW KenPom has the Big 12 as the best conference this season, not the ACC

Reaction Score
Exactly. The committee chair essentially saying that Duke wasn't even considered for a 1 because they were a 4 on Wednesday says it all. They mail this thing in.

Not at all.
Duke was a #13 on Wednesday. You really think a team can jump 9 spots based on 3 very good wins? In order to move up, the committee compares it to the team above it. Thus, these wins would have to strengthen it so that it now wins the head-to-head resume battle against 9 teams that it didn't beat out just a few days earlier.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I never gambled on sports besides the occasional bet with buddies so college sports are pretty much out the window for me.

Like you, I don't care about the NBA either.

Pretty much follow the Huskies, Giants and the youth movement the Yanks are on has gotten me hooked again, but I've always followed MLB (call me a dying breed of fantasy baseball junkies).

Side note, not sure if I'm allowed to post this here but riveraveblues.com is an absolutely fantastic site for Yankees baseball.

Reaction Score
SMU got hosed in their seed number but they have a totally winnable path to the Sweet Sixteen. Providence and USC are both pretty bad for bubble teams, and Baylor is easily the worst 3 seed. Plus the games aren't too far away in Tulsa.

Exactly, they got screwed in numerology only, their path is very reasonable. Lets not forget they were a dropped pass away from going to OT vs ECU on Friday. People just like to complain about everything.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Same for me. College basketball has never been the same since 2013 when a certain league was torn apart.

None of the tournaments have any atmosphere like BET at MSG. No Bilas/Raf/McDonough. No Big East Big Monday. Northeastern schools in different conferences they have no business being in (and ALL being hurt by it). Rivalries ripped apart and now schools with nothing in common are trying to create new ones. Football factories starting to dominate when they could care less about basketball. Blue Bloods like Duke and Kentucky starting to dominate every year with the new one and done rule. And of course UConn having the AAC albatross around it's neck. It's just been awful. My interest is waning with each year.

That's probably the most succinct way anyone, including myself, could have explained my feelings.

I still love college hoops, but it's just not the same, from national games-perspective and from UConn fan-perspective.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never gambled on sports besides the occasional bet with buddies so college sports are pretty much out the window for me.

Like you, I don't care about the NBA either.

Pretty much follow the Huskies, Giants and the youth movement the Yanks are on has gotten me hooked again, but I've always followed MLB (call me a dying breed of fantasy baseball junkies).

Side note, not sure if I'm allowed to post this here but riveraveblues.com is an absolutely fantastic site for Yankees baseball.

Yeah I play in some pretty big money serious fantasy leagues. I'm an Orioles fan I guess - I don't really have any emotional attachment about who wins.

RAB is the best yankees site - I pretty much follow the best site for each AL franchise for fantasy reasons. They fixed that franchise in one trade deadline, they should have left Cashman alone a lot sooner.

I'm also a Giants fan but haven't been down in 3 years and watch Red Zone mostly when I'm given a choice.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It sucks but it's not surprising in the least. It's the new reality and won't change. The Power 5 wants to do to college basketball what it did to college football. And UConn, Memphis, and Temple were ALL down this year so it was not a good year for the league.

It's up to SMU to have a deep run and earn some respect for the league. It's not the seed, it's the path and they have a manageable path with Providence/Baylor. They had a clear path to the Sweet 16 2 years ago and choked away a 7 pt lead with 1:30 left to a UCLA team that shouldn't haven even made it. Sooner or later a team outside of UConn needs to carry the torch.
With the clearly growing conference status quo and disparity, mixed with our rivals positioning themselves for year to year success while we seem to have little to no semblance of consistency or certainty year to year in our already unpredictable conference landscape just makes me feel like UConn has been moving farther from the 1 seeds we see getting selected today and the general teams considered "contenders".

It almost feels like with the P5 situation and one and dones, UConn is almost playing a different game than our peers (note: peers is not Wake Forest or Cinci, our peers are teams that compete for titles).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah I play in some pretty big money serious fantasy leagues. I'm an Orioles fan I guess - I don't really have any emotional attachment about who wins.

RAB is the best yankees site - I pretty much follow the best site for each AL franchise for fantasy reasons. They fixed that franchise in one trade deadline, they should have left Cashman alone a lot sooner.

I'm also a Giants fan but haven't been down in 3 years and watch Red Zone mostly when I'm given a choice.

What format do you use for your league(s), I may be looking for one if a spot opens up.

My high school league which had been going for 17 seasons is all but done and my UConn league hasn't been the same since one of the guys in the league passed away and we called it quits this season. I love playing but refuse to join a public league for money because of collusion and shady practices.

My league that just ended was roto, 7x7: R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, TB and W, NSV, ERA, WHIP, K, KBB, HRA, but I'm down to play whatever depending on the buy in.

Let me know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What format do you use for your league(s), I may be looking for one if a spot opens up.

My high school league which had been going for 17 seasons is all but done and my UConn league hasn't been the same since one of the guys in the league passed away and we called it quits this season. I love playing but refuse to join a public league for money because of collusion and shady practices.

My league that just ended was roto, 7x7: R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, TB and W, NSV, ERA, WHIP, K, KBB, HRA, but I'm down to play whatever depending on the buy in.

Let me know.

I'll let you know. Both are just 5x5 roto.

My college league that started in 1994 died in 2013. The better of my current leagues has 6 of the owners from that league. It's 10 teams AL only. Picking an auction date has been worse than a dentist trip.

Reaction Score
SMU has a chance to prove itself. If they get to the Sweet 16 vs Duke, you know it will be the national game. Beat them with the nation watching, and it will establish SMU as a real power, and do wonders for the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom