Six games left | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Six games left

Reaction Score
Exciting time of the season.

Goes without saying, gotta beat Gtown and Depaul. I'm slightly concerned of a trap. Definitely from Depaul.

Can we go .500 in the other 4 games? Definitely. All are payback games. We were competitive against everyone except Nova. We were on the edge of competitive against Nova.

Seton Hall is probably the best opportunity against the 4 tougher teams. Not technically a must win, but a loss puts in a hole needing wins against tougher teams.

Need to beat Seton Hall on Wednesday. Good news is, i really like how the team is playing right now. They are fighting as hard as I've seen in a couple years.

Reaction Score
With 2-4 or 3-3, I’d be more worried about 1) psychological impact of continuing our trend of not being able to beat teams above us in conference (Villanova, Providence, Xavier this year)
I agree with this part, and this, even more than NCAAT seeding, is why the Villanova game, and to a lesser extent @Creighton, is so important.

We can't afford to go another year in this league being seen as the pesky little brother who nevertheless always loses to the top teams. We need to be at worst a peer to programs like Villanova, not perpetual also-rans in that #3-5 category.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree with this part, and this, even more than NCAAT seeding, is why the Villanova game, and to a lesser extent @Creighton, is so important.

We can't afford to go another year in this league being seen as the pesky little brother who nevertheless always loses to the top teams. We need to be at worst a peer to programs like Villanova, not perpetual also-rans in that #3-5 category.
We have to beat teams once in awhile that we’re not supposed to. Especially in our league we can’t only win a majority of our games against those who are -.500.

The three games coming up at home are massive.

Reaction Score
Running through some scenarios, if we take care of business at home vs. Seton Hall and Xavier (big IFs of course) and Creighton/DePaul, then the Villanova game won't affect our seeding at all, we'd be locked into Big East #3 seed.

Of course, it would still be important for NCAAT and psyche reasons, but the 3 seed is

Reaction Score
I don’t think we are a lock yet. If we go 4-2 we are in, but 3-3 would make me uncomfortable. Anything worse and we could be on the bubble.
We are 18 NET and 19 KenPom. Things would have to go catastrophically wrong to miss the tourney. 1 or 2 more Q1 wins and we are a lock regardless of what happens in the other games.

Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to senior night where we will get our first indication if any decisions have been made by RJ/Tyrese regarding next season.

Reaction Score
IMO--Would be disappointed with 4-2.. 5-1 should be floor.. Can run the table at BET if A game is on display..
Will be good for Mojo going into Big Dance.

Reaction Score
We are 18 NET and 19 KenPom. Things would have to go catastrophically wrong to miss the tourney. 1 or 2 more Q1 wins and we are a lock regardless of what happens in the other games.
6-0 is probably a #3 seed with a decent BET showing
5-1 is surging onto the 4/5 line with an outside chance for a 3 if we make the BET finals or better
4-2 would probably lock up at worst a 6 seed with a chance at a 5 or 4 in the BET.
3-3 has us sliding backwards a little, more like 7/8 territory
2-4 means no more good wins and a few meh losses, definitely slipping to the 8/9 line or worse, with a loss in the 1st round of the BET making things pretty uncomfortable at 19-12 and only 3 quality wins.
1-5 is definitely on the bubble

Reaction Score
6-0 is probably a #3 seed with a decent BET showing
5-1 is surging onto the 4/5 line with an outside chance for a 3 if we make the BET finals or better
4-2 would probably lock up at worst a 6 seed with a chance at a 5 or 4 in the BET.
3-3 has us sliding backwards a little, more like 7/8 territory
2-4 means no more good wins and a few meh losses, definitely slipping to the 8/9 line or worse, with a loss in the 1st round of the BET making things pretty uncomfortable at 19-12 and only 3 quality wins.
1-5 is definitely on the bubble
It depends who the wins and losses are against. For example, if we somehow beat Nova and lost to DePaul, that would make things interesting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No excuse for losing any of those games @ Gampel. No excuse for losing to Georgetown at all. That means the best BE team at XL and our absolute nemesis team in Omaha are the two opportunities to steal a win. 4-2 is ok, but I really want to win one of those two games.

Every game we've played against Creighton has been close. I think there is an opportunity for Hurley to show he has learned from those and make adjustments. McDermott had a great plan last time. Hurley has to show some different looks on both ends.

Nova was ugly, but both games cancelled last year until the tournament, which wasn't a blowout. The 2019-20 team put a real scare into Nova on the road. They can be beaten. Same as Creighton, we will need to show them some wrinkles, take them out of their comfort zone.

Reaction Score
No excuse for losing any of those games @ Gampel. No excuse for losing to Georgetown at all. That means the best BE team at XL and our absolute nemesis team in Omaha are the two opportunities to steal a win. 4-2 is ok, but I really want to win one of those two games.

Every game we've played against Creighton has been close. I think there is an opportunity for Hurley to show he has learned from those and make adjustments. McDermott had a great plan last time. Hurley has to show some different looks on both ends.

Nova was ugly, but both games cancelled last year until the tournament, which wasn't a blowout. The 2019-20 team put a real scare into Nova on the road. They can be beaten. Same as Creighton, we will need to show them some wrinkles, take them out of their comfort zone.
I don’t really understand the trepidation with Creighton this season. We pooped the bed in that game. We should expect to beat that Creighton team.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we are a lock yet. If we go 4-2 we are in, but 3-3 would make me uncomfortable. Anything worse and we could be on the bubble.
I think we are in as long as we don't go 2-4.. Even then 2 wins in the BET would get us back off the bubble.

I looked at the schedule yesterday as well, I think 4-2 is best case scenario - if we go 5-1 that would mean we are red hot and are primed to make a deep run..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t really understand the trepidation with Creighton this season. We pooped the bed in that game. We should expect to beat that Creighton team.

1. They are tough in Omaha. Get a very good crowd. 2. McDermott is great at game planning and adjustments 3. We have now pooped the bed 3 straight times vs them....eventually a pattern like that suggests some underlying cause.

Reaction Score
I think we are in as long as we don't go 2-4.. Even then 2 wins in the BET would get us back off the bubble.

I looked at the schedule yesterday as well, I think 4-2 is best case scenario - if we go 5-1 that would mean we are red hot and are primed to make a deep run..
I’d like to see us take care of Xavier and Seton Hall at home, Nova will be a battle. But GTown, DePaul, and Creighton at home are games we should win. 4-2 is the expectation. 5-1 is not out of reach. 6-0 would have me giddy

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
5-1 in this stretch (with the L being to Nova or @ Creighton) would put us right on the 5 seed line. However we will definitely get up to the 4 line if we win the BET. They just cannot drop anymore of these winnable games or have another Creighton home stinker.
If we go 5-1 and win the BET, we would be 25-8. I imagine we would be at least a 3 seed if not a 2.

Remember how many losses the major conference champs will have.

Reaction Score
1. They are tough in Omaha. Get a very good crowd. 2. McDermott is great at game planning and adjustments 3. We have now pooped the bed 3 straight times vs them....eventually a pattern like that suggests some underlying cause.
Disagree. Last year they were on par with us as a team. The first game Bouk drop 40 something, tough loss, but good game. The second game Bouk was injured if I recall correctly. And the last game in the tourney was a nail biter. The game this season was the only game I’m which we “pooped the bed” or should have won

Reaction Score
I’d like to see us take care of Xavier and Seton Hall at home, Nova will be a battle. But GTown, DePaul, and Creighton at home are games we should win. 4-2 is the expectation. 5-1 is not out of reach. 6-0 would have me giddy
Creighton game is away though.

Reaction Score
If we go 5-1 and win the BET, we would be 25-8. I imagine we would be at least a 3 seed if not a 2.

Remember how many losses the major conference champs will have.
A 3 is possible, we had 9 losses in 2011 and got the 3. I don't think we would be able to leap enough for a 2 seed though. That would mean taking a spot from Gonzaga, Auburn, Kansas, Duke, Perdue, Kentucky, Arizona, Baylor - they all currently have 4 or fewer losses.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Disagree. Last year they were on par with us as a team. The first game Bouk drop 40 something, tough loss, but good game. The second game Bouk was injured if I recall correctly. And the last game in the tourney was a nail biter. The game this season was the only game I’m which we “pooped the bed” or should have won
Until we beat them, it remains the case that UConn has never beaten them. Forgive me for being concerned. I will certainly be rooting for that streak to end. For that to happen, especially on what is probably the toughest home court in the league, Hurley is going to need to make some changes.

Reaction Score

You're using the word "always" to refer to one and a half season. Good grief. We "always" beat BC when we beat them like 27 straight times. Not when we beat them 3 or 4 times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom