Situation is being monitored ... Michigan AD | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Situation is being monitored ... Michigan AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We could -
But if I am Susan I would worry/concern/have a plan now as opposed to waiting for it to happen. Be Proactive and not Reactive -

Thank god you're not Susan.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Thank god you're not Susan.

Agreed - I am not educated enough to have her job.

So you dont think she should have information for possible replacements now? She should just wait until he says 'Hey Hun, I am heading to Michigan - Im leaving Friday?'

Then she should begin to ask around and determine who might be a good fit? Curious.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Can we worry about this when it happens and not now as Warde is still at Uconn?

Agree with you...I'd rather not worry about this until the day comes that Brandon is let go or steps down. But @Bonehead is also right - all lead staff like President Herbst should have contingency plans and a short list of desired candidates for all positions, including AD, if an opening were to occur. I'm sure she does.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We could -
But if I am Susan I would worry/concern/have a plan now as opposed to waiting for it to happen. Be Proactive and not Reactive -

I think it is obvious, and I am sure they have discussed this. Warde probably wouldn't leave for most other jobs, but I think AD at Michigan is his perfect job. He couldn't say no. So we need to have a candidate list, and we need to act on it ASAP if he is leaving. Would want Diaco, Ollie and Geno to all be comfortable with any new AD.

Reaction Score

So you dont think she should have information for possible replacements now? She should just wait until he says 'Hey Hun, I am heading to Michigan - Im leaving Friday?'

Then she should begin to ask around and determine who might be a good fit? Curious.

No. I agree with you.

Reaction Score

But at the same time it's not our job to worry about it. Nothing we can do.

Reaction Score
Tim Pernetti - Has a ton of contacts with the B1G and knows Delany personally. Also has experience with getting a university added to the B1G.

That is not a bad thought process, though it is believed the heavy lifting on that front was done by Bob Mulcahy.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
But at the same time it's not our job to worry about it. Nothing we can do.

You are correct - nothing we can do, or maybe you are wrong. Many thought there was nothing we could do about the obnoxious Husky sound but low and behold change occurred.

I am NOT saying I am doing this nor should we but if there was a swell of posters who felt that losing Warde would be an issue they could voice their concern to the Presidents office, march out front with signs - whatever in an attempt to show Warde love or make the President make every effort to keep him.

If its not our job to worry there is no need for the BY then - there are over a 10000's worried posts on this board. Somethings we can change you just dont know it yet...

"Worry refers to the thoughts, images and emotions of a negative nature in which mental attempts are made[vague] to avoid anticipated potential threats.[1] As an emotion it is experienced as anxiety or concern about a real or imagined issue, often personal issues such as health or finances, or broader issues such as environmental pollution and social or technological change. Most people experience short-lived periods of worry in their lives without incident; indeed, a moderate amount of worrying may even have positive effects, if it prompts people to take precautions (e.g., fastening their seat belt or buying fire insurance) or avoid risky behaviours (e.g., angering dangerous animals, or binge drinking).

Excessive worry is the main component of generalized anxiety disorder."

Reaction Score
Changing the dog sounds is one thing. Affecting a potential hire at the AD level is totally different.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Changing the dog sounds is one thing. Affecting a potential hire at the AD level is totally different.

If you say so...I guess, maybe.

You dont know until you try!

Reaction Score
There is an entitlement mentality related to Michigan football that borders on outright arrogance. I'm sure that some of their fans are convinced they can get Nick Saban to replace Brady Hoke.

Is Saban a Michigan man? Then I think not. One would think ,after Rich Rod who is doing well in the Big 12 that they would have learned their lesson. Once R Rod's recruits left the team went down the shizzer.

Reaction Score
You are correct - nothing we can do, or maybe you are wrong. Many thought there was nothing we could do about the obnoxious Husky sound but low and behold change occurred.

I am NOT saying I am doing this nor should we but if there was a swell of posters who felt that losing Warde would be an issue they could voice their concern to the Presidents office, march out front with signs - whatever in an attempt to show Warde love or make the President make every effort to keep him.

If its not our job to worry there is no need for the BY then - there are over a 10000's worried posts on this board. Somethings we can change you just dont know it yet...

"Worry refers to the thoughts, images and emotions of a negative nature in which mental attempts are made[vague] to avoid anticipated potential threats.[1] As an emotion it is experienced as anxiety or concern about a real or imagined issue, often personal issues such as health or finances, or broader issues such as environmental pollution and social or technological change. Most people experience short-lived periods of worry in their lives without incident; indeed, a moderate amount of worrying may even have positive effects, if it prompts people to take precautions (e.g., fastening their seat belt or buying fire insurance) or avoid risky behaviours (e.g., angering dangerous animals, or binge drinking).

Excessive worry is the main component of generalized anxiety disorder."
That is excellent. I think if he gets an offer and goes, it means that UConn is not getting out of AAC anytime soon. If he stays, then UConn is going to P5 sooner rather than later. No one will stay in a hopeless place.

Reaction Score
Warde is a Michigan man, who helped run the athletic department during some very good times. He will definitely be on the short list of there is one due to his body of work at Michigan, Buffalo and UCONN. One of the things he and Brad Bates bring to the table is the ability to understand the Michigan AD history (especially football), with emphasis on the college athletic model...not as a business CEO like Dave Brandon. I think that watching what plays out at Michigan will be interesting...Dave Brandon is runnig the Michigan AD like he ran Domino's as CEO and Chairman of the Board. Even when the money is flowing in, if you don't win it becomes a problem!

Reaction Score
That is excellent. I think if he gets an offer and goes, it means that UConn is not getting out of AAC anytime soon. If he stays, then UConn is going to P5 sooner rather than later. No one will stay in a hopeless place.

one has nothing to do with the other...For example, Say we were already in the ACC... just won back to back men's titles and went to the Orange Bowl....You still take the UM job every time

Reaction Score
Let Michigan have him. He'd fit in there. It's a self sustaining machine which simply requires you not f'up. He is a slow, don't rock the boat guy. Ergo, letting football burn to the ground before acting and slow draw on Ollie. He's not the man who will get UConn to a P5 conference. Maybe he helps UConn on arrival. I say bon voyage.

Reaction Score
one has nothing to do with the other...For example, Say we were already in the ACC... just won back to back men's titles and went to the Orange Bowl....You still take the UM job every time

Michigan is Michigan. You take the job.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, if he leaves we have another friend in the Big to go along with a former University President.

I don't think Warde leaving will have any effect on Ollie. I truly believe Ollie is here for life unless someone from the NBA calls with a 25 million dollar guaranteed contract...Warde couldn't stop regardless...

Reaction Score
The way I see it, if he leaves we have another friend in the Big to go along with a former University President.

Are you referring to former UConn and Illinois president Hogan? If so ,then no. I don't think the Big think much of him or that he has any pull what so ever. Frankly I was glad to see him go.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I doubt he ends up with the job - but there is no way anyone would paint it as a negative about UConn. Nobody could paint Buffalo in a negative light because he took the UConn job.

Except that Buffalo wasn't trying desperately to elevate themselves to UConn's level, in the way that we're currently aspiring to the level of Michigan.

pj

Reaction Score
Just read the article, what stands out to me is that the writer chose to highlight Manuel's achievements at Buffalo, not UCONN. Goes to show what the rest of the college realignment landscape thinks of basketball and APR scores: not much. One winning season at Buffalo got a full paragraph. "He's now the AD at UCONN" is all UCONN got despite dual national championships and perfect APR scores. Football is the only sport that CR cares about.

You are over-rating the significance of this writer's content choices. It was written that way because he googled "Warde Manuel accomplishments" and on the first page of results, which is the only page he looked at, were 10 articles written at the time Warde was hired by UConn from Buffalo spelling out his accomplishments at Buffalo.

pj

Reaction Score
Warde is a good AD but he's replaceable. If he goes to Michigan, we have another connection in the B1G who may go to bat for us. If he stays, we have a quality AD. Either way, we're OK.

Just have to keep working on football and fan support.

Reaction Score
I like Warde and think he's done a good job in trying to clean up the mess left by the incompetence of Jeff Hathaway. That said, if he were to leave for Michigan (or another job), while I would not like it, I would be confident that President Herbst will find a good replacement that would help compliment her B1G push. And if he left for Michigan, that would be one more vote in UCONN's corner inside the B1G. He can spread the Good Word to all curious midwesterners about what UCONN has to offer.

If Ward leaves I hope UCONN considers Tim Pernetti (Fired from Rutgers) I
believe he got screwed in the Mike Rice fiasco. He helped pave the way for Rutgers going to B1G. He is a Jersey guy and I think would get along great with all the coaches, Ollie, Gino and Diaco. He is around the same age as Diaco. No one is worried about Gino or Kevin throwing basketballs at players anyway. We would need to do some PR/image repair but he would be an awesome choice. I have to think he would help in recruiting in New Jersey. Many Rutgers fans were pissed and protested when he got dismissed. I would love it if we hire this guy! Check these articles out on him:

TIM PERNETTI RALLY

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_tim_pernetti_rally.html

TIM PERNETTI WANTED RICE FIRED (BTW, RICE IS NOT A GOOD NAME TO HAVE AT RUTGERS!)

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/04/rutgers-fires-athletic-director/63917/

WIKI on Pernetti

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Pernetti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members