Situation is being monitored ... Michigan AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Situation is being monitored ... Michigan AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Will you drive Ollie to the airport too? Don't forget, he has something in his contract that if Warde left, he can void his UCONN contract.

Do you think that reminding us that Warde wrote himself into Ollie's contract makes us want him to stay? Do you think Ollie really wants the guy that wouldn't give Ollie the full time gig to stay at UConn? Warde and his litany of failures can't leave fast enough. On the flip side, if Warde doesn't get this Michigan job, we are stuck with him until Herbst fires him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't the terms of the buyout go ridiculously low though if either Warde or Susan left? I'm too lazy to look it up. Bottomline: it's much more likely, in terms of financially, that Ollie could leave if Warde or Susan left.

They are pretty close from what I understand from some people who know them some.

If an NBA team really wanted him it's not like money is really an object. I'd say the relationship is a bigger deal than a difference of a million or two in buyouts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nobody in America would perceive Warde going to Michigan from UConn as a slight.

Michigan is still Michigan and on top of that, the guy played football there.

Just because some blog with sources choose to highlight two sentences about his tenure at UB and not UConn doesn't mean anything.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If this were to happen, I can't fault him for going to his alma mater. But if you think we are toxic from a CR perspective now, just wait until the "UConn AD Leaves for Greener Pastures" headlines. That will directly be interpreted as a vote of "no confidence" in UConn's prospects.

I hope he stays. His work here is unfinished...

Florida fans freaked over rumors of Urban Meyer leaving for Notre Dame every year.

Alabama fans were on pins and needles over losing Nick Saban to Texas.

Kansas lost Roy Williams to UNC.

It happens.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Do you think that reminding us that Warde wrote himself into Ollie's contract makes us want him to stay? Do you think Ollie really wants the guy that wouldn't give Ollie the full time gig to stay at UConn? Warde and his litany of failures can't leave fast enough. On the flip side, if Warde doesn't get this Michigan job, we are stuck with him until Herbst fires him.

Oh, please don't make any mistake - I could not care less if you want him to stay or not.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel is a very good AD and he seemed to be the right hire when Hathaway was fired. Unfortunately, the situation at UConn changed after Manuel was hired and the job became less about athletic administration and more about positioning for a power conference, raising money, and creating positive marketing for the athletic program and university. In my opinion, the current situation at UConn does not play to his strengths, but the current situation at Michigan does. Michigan needs and athletic administrator that can hire the right football coach and unite the various constituencies at Michigan. That is Warde.

Reaction Score
If this were to happen, I can't fault him for going to his alma mater. But if you think we are toxic from a CR perspective now, just wait until the "UConn AD Leaves for Greener Pastures" headlines. That will directly be interpreted as a vote of "no confidence" in UConn's prospects.

I hope he stays. His work here is unfinished...

No, it wouldn't. I just completely disagree that anyone will be looking for deeper meaning if a UConn AD were to leave for the University of Michigan and that is before you even take into account that it's his alma mater. It's a much more high profile job, plain and simple.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I like Warde and think he's done a good job in trying to clean up the mess left by the incompetence of Jeff Hathaway. That said, if he were to leave for Michigan (or another job), while I would not like it, I would be confident that President Herbst will find a good replacement that would help compliment her B1G push. And if he left for Michigan, that would be one more vote in UCONN's corner inside the B1G. He can spread the Good Word to all curious midwesterners about what UCONN has to offer.

Reaction Score
Wow Michigan fans are ridiculous, they are going to take one of the Harbaugh brothers away from the NFL to coach at Michigan? Greg Schiano is far more likely to be their coach next season unless something drastically changes within the Ravens or 49ers organization.

There is an entitlement mentality related to Michigan football that borders on outright arrogance. I'm sure that some of their fans are convinced they can get Nick Saban to replace Brady Hoke.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that you can't fault him if he left for his alma mater. Michigan is Michigan. I just know that, perception wise, it will be said that he saw UConn as a dead end. That's just my opinion on how it will be perceived, correctly or not.

This job will be a dead end for Warde if he doesn't get out of it soon. That has more to do with Warde than the job.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This job will be a dead end for Warde if he doesn't get out of it soon. That has more to do with Warde than the job.

Aside from CR, which we could debate his impact on the ACC decision all day, what do you think he could be doing better.

1) If Ollie ever wants the NBA, the money he'll receive would cover any buy out.
2) He brought in the ND D coordinator who was a season removed from D coordinator of the year.
3) The basketball facility is now finished.
4) He's doing a nice job given our conference situation in schedule basketball and football games.
5) Hockey East is beginning this fall.
6) Our presence on social media, the rebrand ( aside from the helmets) have been a success.
7) Plans in place for new athletic facilities in storrs ( hockey, soccer I believe)

My main gripe is the season ticket pricing model, but other than that where do you fault him?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I disagree. I see Manuel to Michigan as a very real possibility, and probably one that Michigan wants to pursue. Other than the Ollie contract, you can't really say he did a bad job. A great job? No. I think he's floating around mediocrity.

He could turn to Michigan and say, "Look what I had to work with - it sucked," and he'll be on a plane to Ann Arbor.

Reaction Score
Can't wait until Warde unveils the new Michigan helmets. Se ya, winged hemets!...little badger eyeballs in blue peering out from the front of the ...but hey, they are free!

Reaction Score
If Warde leaves, do we look for a replacement from the Big Ten conference, or does Sue reach out to her ACC contacts and find someone that can smooth the tension on that front? Sort of playing both sides.

Reaction Score
Can't wait until Warde unveils the new Michigan helmets. Se ya, winged hemets!...little badger eyeballs in blue peering out from the front of the ...but hey, they are free!

Badger?

Reaction Score
the main reason Warde was brought in, to create an image of doing something about the APR situation, is no longer relevant. I agree with the poster who said his strengths are out of synch with UConn's needs now. He is what he is. Did a bad job on conference realignment, bad job on the new logo stuff, poor job of marketing the product. Other than Ollie, the jury is still out on his coaching hires, and let's face it, Ollie was "his" hire only in name. Cavanaugh looks to be a good recruiter but his team underperformed a bit last year. Hard to really evaluate that given the transitional nature of the program, but they lost some critical games to bad teams down the stretch, which is worrisome. Diaco also looks to be a solid recruiter but you have to question his game day coaching at this point. Both would get an incomplete though. I'd say at best, Manuel has been a mediocre hire, though not entirely his doing. he was brought in for a particular need and the ground changed almost immediately.

Reaction Score
Hey Nelson.....Warde will be attending one of our upcoming tailgates.

Would you like to meet him?

Oh, that's right. You really don't exist as no one on the BY has ever met you.

Yes, Warde is so bad at his job he is on the short list for Michigan.

Reaction Score
Badger?
Yup...assuming it is downloadable from the internet for free, who cares that Michigan has been the wolverines forever? He changed UConn to some sort of cross between a teddy bear and some generic dog/wolf.

Reaction Score
If Warde leaves, do we look for a replacement from the Big Ten conference, or does Sue reach out to her ACC contacts and find someone that can smooth the tension on that front? Sort of playing both sides.
Tim Pernetti - Has a ton of contacts with the B1G and knows Delany personally. Also has experience with getting a university added to the B1G.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I would guess B1G. The state of CT didn't just pour an additional $1.5B into UCONN's research to try to get into the ACC.

But let's wait and see how this all pans out (if anything pans out at all) first.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Eugene B. DeFilippo Jr is available and knows how to mitigate the "BC doesnt want UConn in ACC" - I kid!
I think it will be tough to find an established AD to move from Big10/ACC to UConn - we will be looking as assoicate directors who probably dont have the 'experience' but are the up and coming names.

Sort of like hiring Head Coaches who have only coordinator/assistant experience.

Reaction Score
Eugene B. DeFilippo Jr is available and knows how to mitigate the "BC doesnt want UConn in ACC" - I kid!
I think it will be tough to find an established AD to move from Big10/ACC to UConn - we will be looking as assoicate directors who probably dont have the 'experience' but are the up and coming names.

Sort of like hiring Head Coaches who have only coordinator/assistant experience.
Both Bates and Warde came from the MAC. Wouldn't be shocked to see us go after another MAC AD if it is necessary to replace him.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Can we worry about this when it happens and not now as Warde is still at Uconn?
We could -
But if I am Susan I would worry/concern/have a plan now as opposed to waiting for it to happen. Be Proactive and not Reactive -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom