Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season....

Reaction Score
This will never get old:

It is the bloody reaction from the bench that always cinches this moment for me. I mean, they are absolutely jubuliant! Every. single. one-of-them.

Moriah: couching excitedly as she sees (before everyone) what is about to transpire, then spreading her arms, leaping and spinning in the air when the shot hits, then leaping leaping leaping.

Stewie and Morgan side-by-side. Stewie grinning broadly; Morgan signaling with raised arms as the shot goes up, then turning and jumping widely.

Gabbie: bouncing, crouching, spreading herself wide, grabbing for anyone to touch, then head up, screaming and pumping her arms in rapturous triumph.

Phees and Lou (in her warmups and boot), roomies; Phees holding Gabby by one hand for dear life, then hanging all over Lou who is so happy she can barely stand it.

Kia in the back, pogoing with Gabbie.

Shea, CD and Marisa (especially!) going nuts!

I mean, this moment is truly iconic. A perfect 10. Everything that is great about sports and UConn WBB.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
DT is who made me a fan but I have a real soft spot for #34 Kelly Faris. Talk about stellar defense. I will never forget how she played Diggins in her final game as well as that game vs Duke (sorry Triad). I can't leave out Sue Bird because I intend to make her my wife some day. I really have a list of like 20.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love so many of these players, I cannot really say I have one favorite, but I will narrow it to two: Tina and Maya.

Tina gets no where near the respect she deserves on this board. Not only was she instrumental in two championships for Uconn, she has been tremendous in her post college play. Every year she is at or near the top of the WNBA in points and rebounds. That seems to go largely unnoticed. (I'll probably get an onslaught of criticism for making this comment.) I think her blue collar, no flash, way of succeeding does not garner the excitement that other flashier players do. I love a hard worker. No one has a bigger effect on a game in the WNBA than her.

Maya is another favorite of mine, but for very different reasons. Her game is just the epitome of beauty. Smooth and sleek are her moves and shot. She is the Ray Allen of the women's game and then some. Obviously, she is an unparalleled winner, with a great attitude.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone could help me with this one. There was one game and one play by Diana Taurasi, but I don't remember against whom. Diana was standing just beyond and to the left of the top of the key. The ball was thrown to her from about the opposite foul line. Diana had her back to the basket. But as the ball was coming to her just over her head, she didn't actually catch the ball, but flicked it and redirected it slightly on a line to the UConn player standing open next to the basket. Let's try that again: she made a no look pass to the player 20 feet behind her without actually catching the ball. The UConn player under the basket was so surprised to get the ball that she blew the open layup. But that play was so amazing that I'll never forget it.

My favorite play.
Might have been to Morgan Valley.

This one was similar to Jessica Moore. At 0:11 in this video. Moore made the shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Might have been to Morgan Valley.

This one was similar to Jessica Moore. At 0:11 in this video. Moore made the shot.

That was a great one, but Moore missed the shot.

Reaction Score
It was Rebecca Lobo (the Wolf) who first inspired me to watch and enjoy WCB. However it was Diana Taurasi who compelled me to fall in love with the UCONN Huskies WCB team and culture. Diana is a living high-light film. And finally, Gabby. She is so exciting to watch. Diana and Gabby, play with such a love of the game, determination, excitement and with such passion. I love them both!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Watching this clip reminded me of a conversation I had with a guy who was a UConn men's fan and a casual women's fan after D made that 3 against Tennessee. He'd watched the game and thought it was pretty amazing. I said it was but she probably makes that shot 2, maybe 3 times out of 10. He paused and said, "Well, that would make her the best of all time." I smiled and said, "Yeah, that's exactly right."

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In an effort to get to know my fellow posters better, who is your favorite all time husky??
I'd imagine it will be a good mix of role players and superstars.

For me I have to go Pam Webber. I was in high school when Pam was active. I became a big Pam fan and it lead to me becoming a lifetime husky fan. Pam used to come to some of my high school track meets cause she was dating a coach from a rival track team. I got her autograph on my hat once. Great moment!!

Sue Bird, the last (?) UConn 180 player. Current day I'm opting for the Score Sisters, KLS and Collier, though I doubt either will average 20 this season, making my nickname obsolete.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From a non-UCONN fan, my favorite player to watch was Maya. After the first game she played it was evident she had the talent to start in the W as a brand new college freshman. Just immensely talented. I don't think she gets as much love as DT from UCONN fans since she "only" brought home 2 titles, but at this point I'd take her body of work over anyone.

Reaction Score
I think Pam Webber only got 1 vote, mine! I figured on at least a few others. There has been such great discussion on here. I think Diana and Maya have been most popular answers so far. Diana was a Frosh when I was a SR, and she seemed intense even walking to class haha.

Reaction Score
There are just too many awesome people/players going through the UCONN program to limit the count!
What follows are IMO some of the most remarkable of the best: IN NO REAL ORDER:
Rebecca Lobo - The "hard hat" that came to work and did everything required for her team to win! She was "professional" before she became "professional"!
Diana Taurasi - Geno still says DT "is the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB!"
Svet Abrosinova - Who came to America & UCONN at 16 or 17, without really speaking the language and just letting her talent draw people in to her fan club! Her quiet toughness!
Shea Ralph - Her toughness that made her come back from 3 or 4 ACL operations to be a threat each time she came back to her opponents!
Gabby Williams - Her unbelievable athletic ability that just takes your breath away every second she is on the court!
Saniya Chong - for her guts to weather the storm for 3 years then be one of the biggest reasons this years team was so successful!
Moriah Jefferson - To realize after her freshman year that something was lacking in her game and worked all summer to improve herself! A huge heart in a tiny body!
Breanna Stewart - She makes the game of BB look so effortless. Her inner voice that she said aloud I want to win 4 Titles in a row! And then doing it!
Maya Moore - A tip of the hat to Roger G, comparing Maya to Ray Allen! multi-talented and did EVERYTHING with CLASS!
Sue Bird - The quiet assassin! One of the most ruthless players along with DT and Jen Rizzotti, and Shea in WBB history! And I mean that in the most respectful way!
Kara Wolters - Who worked tremendously hard to lose the weight, and getting in shape and making her strengths great enough to win & get her Nat'l Player of the Year!
Jen Rizzotti - The heart/soul/guts of her UCONN teams during her 4 years at Storrs!
Stefanie Dolson - As Kara Woltors before her for changing her life style and becoming a great WBB player through hard work!
Kia Stokes - As Saniya before her for her stick-to-it-ness knowing what her strengths are and making the most of her talent!
Jessica Moore - She was not a natural athlete but made the most of what she had!
Kelly Faris - For her never-ending work ethic and desire!
Nykesa Sales - PRECIOUS to her team mates because Geno never said a cross word to her in her 4 years. And being a tremendous role model for her team mates!
Carolyn Doty - For her toughness and learning what skills worked for her new often injured body!
Tina Charles & Renee Montgomery - For taking ALL the grief Geno gave them and made themselves into star players as well as star people! (read the Jeff Jacobs article of April 2010 I think, on Renee & Geno, and Geno's reaction to that article!)
Morgan Tuck - For being the GLUE to her team mates for 4 years!
To ALL the walk-ons that gave 150% of themselves to the program and made the fans adore them for their huge hearts!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
;)
It's like choosing your favorite child....just can't do it....

There are just too many awesome people/players going through the UConn program to limit the count!
What follows are IMO some of the most remarkable of the best: IN NO REAL ORDER:
  • Rebecca Lobo - The "hard hat" that came to work and did everything required for her team to win! She was "professional" before she became "professional"!
  • Diana Taurasi - Geno still says DT "is the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB!"
  • Svet Abrosinova - Who came to America & UConn at 16 or 17, without really speaking the language and just letting her talent draw people in to her fan club! Her quiet toughness!
  • Shea Ralph - Her toughness that made her come back from 3 or 4 ACL operations to be a threat each time she came back to her opponents!
  • Gabby Williams - Her unbelievable athletic ability that just takes your breath away every second she is on the court!
  • Saniya Chong - for her guts to weather the storm for 3 years then be one of the biggest reasons this years team was so successful!
  • Moriah Jefferson - To realize after her freshman year that something was lacking in her game and worked all summer to improve herself! A huge heart in a tiny body!
  • Breanna Stewart - She makes the game of BB look so effortless. Her inner voice that she said aloud I want to win 4 Titles in a row! And then doing it!
  • Maya Moore - A tip of the hat to Roger G, comparing Maya to Ray Allen! multi-talented and did EVERYTHING with CLASS!
  • Sue Bird - The quiet assassin! One of the most ruthless players along with DT and Jen Rizzotti, and Shea in WBB history! And I mean that in the most respectful way!
  • Kara Wolters - Who worked tremendously hard to lose the weight, and getting in shape and making her strengths great enough to win & get her Nat'l Player of the Year!
  • Jen Rizzotti - The heart/soul/guts of her UConn teams during her 4 years at Storrs!
  • Stefanie Dolson - As Kara Woltors before her for changing her life style and becoming a great WBB player through hard work!
  • Kia Stokes - As Saniya before her for her stick-to-it-ness knowing what her strengths are and making the most of her talent!
  • Jessica Moore - She was not a natural athlete but made the most of what she had!
  • Kelly Faris - For her never-ending work ethic and desire!
  • Nykesa Sales - PRECIOUS to her team mates because Geno never said a cross word to her in her 4 years. And being a tremendous role model for her team mates!
  • Carolyn Doty - For her toughness and learning what skills worked for her new often injured body!
  • Tina Charles & Renee Montgomery - For taking ALL the grief Geno gave them and made themselves into star players as well as star people! (read the Jeff Jacobs article of April 2010 I think, on Renee & Geno, and Geno's reaction to that article!)
  • Morgan Tuck - For being the GLUE to her team mates for 4 years!
To ALL the walk-ons that gave 150% of themselves to the program and made the fans adore them for their huge hearts!

Reaction Score
Eh I think you mean Morgan missed the shot.
Nah, J-Mo missed the layup after receiving a behind-the-head no-look deflect/pass from DT. 2004 regional final vs. Penn State at the Civic Center. Play starts at about :12 at the beginning of your video, replay starts again about :16. The highlight reels never show Moore completing the play 'cuz she missed the shot. Otherwise would have been the all-time UConn "Showtime" highlight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nah, J-Mo missed the layup after receiving a behind-the-head no-look deflect/pass from DT. 2004 regional final vs. Penn State at the Civic Center. Play starts at about :12 at the beginning of your video, replay starts again about :16. The highlight reels never show Moore completing the play 'cuz she missed the shot. Otherwise would have been the all-time UConn "Showtime" highlight.
Somebody might have doctored the video, because when I posted it, it went in. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom