Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season....

Reaction Score
Oh I should add Saniya Chong, yes she is my kind girl .....
hard blue worker, honest loyalty and sincere attitude. ....

Reaction Score
Players that I've actually watched: Diana, Sue, and Stewie.

Players that are my favorites, but didn't get to see play at UConn: Rebecca (hence the name and picture) and Jen Rizzotti.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My favorite husky is Stephanie Dolson. It was inspiring watching her transform her body from flab to fab. :rolleyes:

I appreciated how she helped run the offense from the center position and how she really helped Stewie reach her potential

Finally.I loved her free spirit :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am very fickle. It started with Sveta, perhaps the most elegant game of her era, then a short love affair with Shea and her fire and desire and stone cold killer mentality, the Sue, then .....
And then there was Moriah and she is my current favorite. The joy and boundless energy and speed and control. I don't remember seeing anyone on a basketball court go full out every single minute of every game like she does. And ALWAYS that smile, as if nothing in life could ever match the pleasure and fun she is having right this minute!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, all posts. In chronological order--Asjha, Tina, Stokes, Gabby

Reaction Score
1. Nykesha Sales - None of the great UConn players gets as little respect, as little recognition or their contributions to the program, or took more heat(the head coach inspired scoring record gesture) than Ms Sales. In my opinion, the single most important recruit in UConn WBB history and still one of its all time best players.
2. Mel Thomas and Sue Bird. Not because of their play but the extraordinary lengths to which they both went to improve their respective games and put themselves in position to be recruited by a top D1 program.
Mel Thomas, a Cincinnati resident, played her summer AAU ball in Columbus, an hour and a half away, with an all black team; Spending weekends sleeping in a basement with the other members of the team to do so; Barbara Turner, a rival high school player and AAU teammate suggested to Ms Thomas that she try out for the team. How many kids in Ms Thomas's position have ever been known to do anything similar?
Sue Bird from Syosset NY, realized that she would need better competition to improve her chances/game and made the decision to attend Christ The King High School in Queens; A distance of no more than 30 miles but a tough commute on the best days; There has to be at least 15 or more public school districts between Syosset and Middle Village; and certainly no guarantee of playing time in a top high school program(although it can be assumed that she had evaluated her competition).

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
She always scared me, still does. Ha.

You may recall the story, or seeing it posted before, but, it's too good not to share again.
As the tale goes, some years ago when Jamelle and Tonya were assistant coaches, Geno got all upset about an officials' call. He started down the sidelines, intent on going after the ref, and, maybe, drawing a technical.
"I knew I could get past Tonya, she's small", Geno said. "I knew I could get past Chris, she's skinny. But, I knew I wasn't going to get past Jamelle"!

Reaction Score
So many great players and responses. I'm a bit surprised not many said lobo so far.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For me, it's Stef. She was not the most heralded recruit. Many questioned her ability and Geno's judgment early on. Even as a senior, she probably wasn't the most dominant player in WCBB at her position. She wasn't the quickest, nor typically the top scorer on her team.

What Stef was at UConn almost speaks for itself: Winner. Leader. Competitor. Her record of courage and fight stands above even the amazing UConn standards. She was and is an outstanding passer, and far better than average as a shooter and rebounder.

And she did all of it with a sense of joy that every team needs. Her love of the game was on her face for the world to see. Our "Big Mama" could have given up on herself after her first two years, and she wouldn't have been blamed if she had. But she doubled down on her effort and development. She knew she could be a very special player, and now... so do we.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She always scared me, still does. Ha.
She's a sweetheart now, but back in the day, tough...as...nails.

Too tough to pick one, but it I did it would be D, closely followed by Sue, Kara, Steph, Rebecca, probably.

Reaction Score
Perhaps someone could help me with this one. There was one game and one play by Diana Taurasi, but I don't remember against whom. Diana was standing just beyond and to the left of the top of the key. The ball was thrown to her from about the opposite foul line. Diana had her back to the basket. But as the ball was coming to her just over her head, she didn't actually catch the ball, but flicked it and redirected it slightly on a line to the UConn player standing open next to the basket. Let's try that again: she made a no look pass to the player 20 feet behind her without actually catching the ball. The UConn player under the basket was so surprised to get the ball that she blew the open layup. But that play was so amazing that I'll never forget it.

My favorite play.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
In an effort to get to know my fellow posters better, who is your favorite all time husky??
I'd imagine it will be a good mix of role players and superstars.

For me I have to go Pam Webber. I was in high school when Pam was active. I became a big Pam fan and it lead to me becoming a lifetime husky fan. Pam used to come to some of my high school track meets cause she was dating a coach from a rival track team. I got her autograph on my hat once. Great moment!!

Diana

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So many greats that have worm the UConn uniform. So may great memories over the years. The one that jumps out to me is DIANA.

She had the fire and the swagger to stick it to you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, it's Brianna Stewart. She brought me back to the game in a big way. I still remember the play. I'm at Gampel watching the Vandy game in the 2nd round of the tournament. Stewart with the steal outside and starts heading for the hoop. Here comes the Vandy girl and I'm thinking, "I've seen this before, she's going to take the charge and we're going back the other way." Instead, Stewie plants with the right foot and slides by finishing with a finger roll. The Vandy player, though untouched, goes flying back on her butt like she got shot out of a cannon. I literally straightened up and said, "Whoa". This player can do anything.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
So many great players and responses. I'm a bit surprised not many said lobo so far.
Rebecca Lobo was probably Geno's most important recruit, she started it all. I don't know why she doesn't get more love from the fan base...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo was probably Geno's most important recruit, she started it all. I don't know why she doesn't get more love from the fan base...

Just the passage of time, I think. I suspect a distinct minority of fans actually saw her play. In her playing days, there was nowhere near the coverage and exposure, nationally, that the team has had for many years now - plus, Lobo wasn't then as outgoing a personality as she is now. And, so many extraordinary players and personalities have subsequently graced the Gampel hardwood. You can make a similar argument about Kerry Bascomb - ground-breaker who, with the passage of time and so many players, is underappreciated.

Reaction Score
The quintessential UCONN image. Doing it and not letting them forget it.
$

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom