Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Since I'm new to the board and it's the off season....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo was probably Geno's most important recruit, she started it all. I don't know why she doesn't get more love from the fan base...
Rebecca is still a local icon here. There was a nice article about her family in last Sunday's Hartford Courant.

I think that if she ran for the Senate from Connecticut, she could probably get elected.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I know that it is frowned on to discuss the appearance of current or recent players, but maybe in a thread like this, it's OK to list one's favorite long-departed players from the standpoint of their, um, attractiveness?

From that perspective, my nominees are Sue Bird, Kelly Schumacher, and Caroline Doty, with an honorable mention to Megan Gardler.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo was probably Geno's most important recruit, she started it all. I don't know why she doesn't get more love from the fan base...
Rebecca has become the "elder statesman" of UConn WBB. I think she elicits enormous affection and tremendous respect, at least as far as many of us who first became enamored with the Huskies during that magical 1994-1995 season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As an Irish fan but also a Sky fan, Dolson is my new favorite Husky ever since she got traded here. Also, she seems fun and has big personality, which I like.

Honorable mention to MoJeff, who I have always rooted against but who is undeniably fun to watch at the same time. Watching her play for San Antonio against Chicago she made many plays that made me think "Could you not be so annoyingly good right now?"

Reaction Score
This is tough hard to pick just 1 or 2!
I'd say Diana, Svet and Kiah.....and Pheesa is making her way up there quickly too.
Also have a soft spot for Shuey and Ketia Swanier

Reaction Score
Two of my faves were Kiah Stokes and Kelly Faris. Both were generational defenders yet neither had a iota of talent for offense. Still, Geno recognized the special gift in each of them and utilized them to the team's best advantage, and both became WNBAers. Kiah was a shot blocker extraordinaire while Kelly was the best "lock down" defender I have yet to see in either the men's or the women's college game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, all posts. In chronological order--Asjha, Tina, Stokes, Gabby
Glad to see Kiah getting some recognition. A sweet kid in a pro body who was perhaps the best defensive player we have ever had.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Nykesha Sales - None of the great UConn players gets as little respect, as little recognition or their contributions to the program, or took more heat(the head coach inspired scoring record gesture) than Ms Sales. In my opinion, the single most important recruit in UConn WBB history and still one of its all time best players.
2. Mel Thomas and Sue Bird. Not because of their play but the extraordinary lengths to which they both went to improve their respective games and put themselves in position to be recruited by a top D1 program.
Mel Thomas, a Cincinnati resident, played her summer AAU ball in Columbus, an hour and a half away, with an all black team; Spending weekends sleeping in a basement with the other members of the team to do so; Barbara Turner, a rival high school player and AAU teammate suggested to Ms Thomas that she try out for the team. How many kids in Ms Thomas's position have ever been known to do anything similar?
Sue Bird from Syosset NY, realized that she would need better competition to improve her chances/game and made the decision to attend Christ The King High School in Queens; A distance of no more than 30 miles but a tough commute on the best days; There has to be at least 15 or more public school districts between Syosset and Middle Village; and certainly no guarantee of playing time in a top high school program(although it can be assumed that she had evaluated her competition).
Geno says he plucked Sue off the "mean streets of Syosset." :)

Nancy Bird gets an assist. She got an apartment in Queens for herself and Sue so that Sue's commute to CTK would be manageable. Nice parental support!

Reaction Score
Okay, gang. I have to say (and thanks to the OP for setting this up) that this question has produced the most wonderful variety of responses, which made me consider the fact that it's an indication of why the UConn WBCC fan base is so great. We all have our favorites, and someone can (and did) say Svet Svet Svet, and I thought, "yeaaah, she WAS wonderful, wasn't she?" And someone else said Gabby, whose game I also love, and I said to myself, "Yeaaaah, I can see that, too, because she's only going to get better next year."

Fact is, UConn WCBB gives us this opportunity, to relish the performances of all sorts of players over years and years and years and to enjoy the quandary of which player is the favorite. Example: I loved Kara's story and game, 'way back when, and Asjha's quiet determination and ability to stick the big shot, but I also admired what D brought to the floor every game (even as I took it for granted much of the time) and Mel, who on sheer personality was a real favorite of ours, especially after we met her folks. See what I mean? The list just goes on and on. We are all so lucky, folks.

Reaction Score
To answer the question why Lobo doesn't get more love, I think maybe a lot of the fan base never actually got to see her play. That's just my theory. I was too young at the time. But I think even others who weren't too young maybe just didn't watch much WCBB at that time. And that's over 20 years ago now... so recency comes into play here too!

Reaction Score
Okay, gang. I have to say (and thanks to the OP for setting this up) that this question has produced the most wonderful variety of responses, which made me consider the fact that it's an indication of why the UConn WBCC fan base is so great. We all have our favorites, and someone can (and did) say Svet Svet Svet, and I thought, "yeaaah, she WAS wonderful, wasn't she?" And someone else said Gabby, whose game I also love, and I said to myself, "Yeaaaah, I can see that, too, because she's only going to get better next year."

Fact is, UConn WCBB gives us this opportunity, to relish the performances of all sorts of players over years and years and years and to enjoy the quandary of which player is the favorite. Example: I loved Kara's story and game, 'way back when, and Asjha's quiet determination and ability to stick the big shot, but I also admired what D brought to the floor every game (even as I took it for granted much of the time) and Mel, who on sheer personality was a real favorite of ours, especially after we met her folks. See what I mean? The list just goes on and on. We are all so lucky, folks.
And I think this is why many of us fell in love with this year's team: Gabbie's heart, seeing her suddenly become the best all-around player in the country; Phee's graceful, dignified efficiency; Lou's growth, her competitiveness, her pleasure; Kia's grit, character and confident leadership.

Reaction Score

Wonderful post.

Reaction Score
Rebecca is still a local icon here. There was a nice article about her family in last Sunday's Hartford Courant.

I think that if she ran for the Senate from Connecticut, she could probably get elected.
And you know what? She'd be a great representative! She's smart, professional, capable, hard working, honest, and with all the best core values. She listens, she thinks, she responds.

Reaction Score
1) Diana Lorena Taurasi. No one will ever come close to her. Ever. Reason I fell in love with wbb.

2) Gabby Williams because the of intensity she played with on both ends of the floor. She just outplayed smaller guards, same sized players, and bigger posts this year i.e. everyone.

3) Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis because we graduated the same year of hs (2011.) She was the consensus #1 recruit out of hs & is the all-time career leading 3 point shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom